Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Its cool that you have Sahelanthropus in this game which seems way more outrageous than the previous Metal Gears and you wonder how its so much more advanced than the ones you encounter in the future. Then you find out its a gigantic overdesigned, flimsy piece of poo poo that never actually worked and was only animated through literal puppetry because Huey is a gigantic hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

Its cool that you have Sahelanthropus in this game which seems way more outrageous than the previous Metal Gears and you wonder how its so much more advanced than the ones you encounter in the future. Then you find out its a gigantic overdesigned, flimsy piece of poo poo that never actually worked and was only animated through literal puppetry because Huey is a gigantic hack.

yeah but none of the metal gears were ever worth a poo poo. I mean, I didn't play MGS4, and it looks like Gekkos were pretty good, but REX? never used, RAY, LOL. ARSENAL gear? Good for one 9/11. Zeke? All the ones from Peace Walker?

Metal Gear is a garbage technology compared to the S3 program. These giant war machines that are supposed to change the face of battle, are, without exception, all destroyed by a single guy with a rocket launcher. Seems like maybe it's more cost effective to just make really good rocket launchers? What's that you say? Metal gear is really about a nuclear launch platform? Well how about nuclear rocket launchers? They've only been around since before metal gear, surely improving the range and effectiveness of those is a better investment than anime robots?

No really, the real villain of the MGS saga is hilariously bad priorities for military spending. The plot of MGS is that the most advanced technology that DARPA can buy built by geniuses who are a half-century ahead of their time is useless against a guy in a cardboard box who didn't even bring his own rocket launcher, choke-slammed one off of one of your own guys.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

I actually think it was kind of clever how the armor becomes the nuclear weapon. But of course nothing was done with that and all we got was a wet fart for an ending.

Snak posted:

yeah but none of the metal gears were ever worth a poo poo. I mean, I didn't play MGS4, and it looks like Gekkos were pretty good, but REX? never used, RAY, LOL. ARSENAL gear? Good for one 9/11. Zeke? All the ones from Peace Walker?

Metal Gear is a garbage technology compared to the S3 program. These giant war machines that are supposed to change the face of battle, are, without exception, all destroyed by a single guy with a rocket launcher. Seems like maybe it's more cost effective to just make really good rocket launchers? What's that you say? Metal gear is really about a nuclear launch platform? Well how about nuclear rocket launchers? They've only been around since before metal gear, surely improving the range and effectiveness of those is a better investment than anime robots?

No really, the real villain of the MGS saga is hilariously bad priorities for military spending. The plot of MGS is that the most advanced technology that DARPA can buy built by geniuses who are a half-century ahead of their time is useless against a guy in a cardboard box who didn't even bring his own rocket launcher, choke-slammed one off of one of your own guys.

Gekko's couldn't get up if knocked over and made cow sounds randomly for some reason. Seriously.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 16, 2015

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I asked MY GIRLFRIEND about cloning race horses instead of putting them out to stud and hoping for a equal or better horse, and she explained that cloning cells of an older horse could lead to early onset deterioration, or even illness, as the cells being duplicated are crummier.She brought up that cloned sheep that went south much sooner than a normal sheep. She also brought up that just because you replicate a horse doesn't mean you can replicate its exact brain chemistry or development. It might be wilder, or too docile to race. Unless you can replicate what natural events shaped the horse into a prime racehorse you are risking much more money, for almost no added benefit.

She is pretty smart with animals and science and poo poo so that made sense to me, and it seems to tie into the SONS OF BIG BOSS vs.VENOM SNAKE
Big Boss doesn't take any real interest in the Clones because they are just copies of what is a very exceptional soldier, but they have free will, and their own lives and experiences. They couldn't replace Big Boss, because they could never be Big Boss.
Venom Snake was an exceptional soldier who was stripped of his free will, and of his experiences. He was made in the image of Big Boss, and was given all his thoughts and ideals, leaving almost nothing of who he was before the transformation.

I guess I am saying if you could transfer minds into race horses things would be a hell of a lot more interesting on the track

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

I actually think it was kind of clever how the armor becomes the nuclear weapon. But of course nothing was done with that and all we got was a wet fart for an ending.

Gekko's couldn't get up if knocked over and made cow sounds randomly for some reason. Seriously.

Metal Gear always makes animal sounds. It's silly as gently caress. Sahelanthropus roared.

If there was a MGS6 it would be about how the Vocal Chord parasites are trying to make humans build metal gear because the liked living in dinosaurs the best and want big robot dinosaurs to live in. Also, because they are Vocal Chord Parasites, they want the dinosaurs to roar.

Also, because metal-refining archaea turned out to be a real thing, I had to look up if there were any parasites that lived in human vocal chords. I couldn't find any, the closes I found was Rhinosporidiosis, which mostly lives in mucus membranes, most commonly the nasopharynx.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Snak posted:

Metal Gear Rex was impressive in the time period it was developed. It took two of the best soldiers in the history of the world to take it down, one of them was was essentially a piece of futuristic technology on the level of a Metal Gear itself (Greyfox), and one of them still died in the process.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Play MGS4, you get to pilot Rex and make it roundhouse kick Ray in the face.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Snak posted:

I read a spy thriller once about a secret plot by a shadowy organisation to perform a fake terrorist attack with a supposedly stolen prototype of a new fancy attack helicopter in order to drum up buyers for it. The hero is part of the plot against his will but secretly plans to gently caress everything up and shoots down the helicopter with a single Stinger missile as soon as it shows up and before it gets to do anything. This saves the day and sends sales for the Stinger missile through the roof. It reminded me of Metal Gear a bit.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
When you hold people up you can squeeze their balls super hard and make them pass out, when you do this to women they call you a pervert and you get an alert.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Snake grabs a statue's uncensored dick so much it falls off.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Actually as bad as Kojima is with genetics, he did get that bit right regarding clones. It's why Snake is an old man in MGS4 while everyone else is still basically the same age.

Snak posted:

Gekkos are dumb but they aren't really "metal gears" in the sense that they aren't nuclear capable. They're just AI driven bipedal mechs. Also if you'd played 4 you'd appreciate REX more. Best bit in the entire game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Metal Gear Rex was impressive in the time period it was developed. It took two of the best soldiers in the history of the world to take it down, one of them was was essentially a piece of futuristic technology on the level of a Metal Gear itself (Greyfox), and one of them still died in the process.

Well that detail is correct, but my point stands. Cyborg Ninjas are a much more effective line of research than Metal Gears. Also, Metal Gear Rex was advanced for the time UNTIL we find out that Sahelanthropus existed like 2 decades earlier.

edit: ^ RAY isn't nuclear capable either, and it's still considered a metal gear.

Pwnstar posted:

I read a spy thriller once about a secret plot by a shadowy organisation to perform a fake terrorist attack with a supposedly stolen prototype of a new fancy attack helicopter in order to drum up buyers for it. The hero is part of the plot against his will but secretly plans to gently caress everything up and shoots down the helicopter with a single Stinger missile as soon as it shows up and before it gets to do anything. This saves the day and sends sales for the Stinger missile through the roof. It reminded me of Metal Gear a bit.
This is awesome and MGS as gently caress.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Snak posted:

Well that detail is correct, but my point stands. Cyborg Ninjas are a much more effective line of research than Metal Gears. Also, Metal Gear Rex was advanced for the time UNTIL we find out that Sahelanthropus existed like 2 decades earlier.

edit: ^ RAY isn't nuclear capable either, and it's still considered a metal gear.

Sahelanthropus wasn't functional though so it's meaningless. It couldn't actually move like that without psychic powers controlling it. It's basically like someone sculpted a model of a make-believe military weapon with no means of it actually being operational. Only Huey was dumb and arrogant, and actually built the thing. Without Psychomantis it would have just sat there unused.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Snak posted:

You notice none of the Metal Gears had strong anti-air capability? They were always intended to be supported by an entire army, just like tanks are, not a super-Gundam capable of doing everything by itself. Solidus says that himself about Arsenal Gear--its useless by itself. As the core of an army, it'd be strong as gently caress.

You never have to fight a Metal Gear while simultaneously getting shot at by soldiers for a reason--it'd make things quite a bit trickier.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Sahelanthropus wasn't functional though so it's meaningless. It couldn't actually move like that without psychic powers controlling it. It's basically like someone sculpted a model of a make-believe military weapon with no means of it actually being operational. Only Huey was dumb and arrogant, and actually built the thing. Without Psychomantis it would have just sat there unused.

yeah but... like, every weapons system it had seemed to work fine, so all of that tech should have been on REX as soon as they got REX walking. I mean, REX is the cooled metal gear period, so I'm not actually in favor of other metal gears being cooler. Like I said earlier, I think Sahelanthropus being in the story is dumb as poo poo. If it wasn't the best boss fight of the game I'd say it shouldn't even be in the game. But Gameplay > story, so...

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Buschmaki posted:

When you hold people up you can squeeze their balls super hard and make them pass out

...Really?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Snak posted:

yeah but... like, every weapons system it had seemed to work fine, so all of that tech should have been on REX as soon as they got REX walking. I mean, REX is the cooled metal gear period, so I'm not actually in favor of other metal gears being cooler. Like I said earlier, I think Sahelanthropus being in the story is dumb as poo poo. If it wasn't the best boss fight of the game I'd say it shouldn't even be in the game. But Gameplay > story, so...

Didn't Rex essentially have the same weaponery? It's been a long time since I've played MGS, but I remember it having a gatling gun, homing missles, and a rail gun?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I like the idea that Otacon unconsciously designed REX to be visually similar to Sahalanthropus due to forgotten memories of piloting the thing as a child.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Didn't Rex essentially have the same weaponery? It's been a long time since I've played MGS, but I remember it having a gatling gun, homing missles, and a rail gun?

and the flamethrower dick

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

lets hang out posted:

That's hosed up

if you ever watch lovely actors perform a play (like at a highschool or bad community theater level) you'll almost always find someone just barely silently mouthing the words for every other characters lines as those other actors speak them because they're running through the play in their head while waiting for their part to come up.........people do that poo poo and even if someone's trying not to speak it's something you can do without thinking

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I wish you fought a 1984 level Metal Gear, and upon hitting most of the components with gunfire it was announced they were just stand-ins (made of cardboard, or just aluminum mock-ups) and none of the actual machine was ready aside from the cockpit, which could indeed open OR close if the situation required it. So the game just ended with a QTE "Mash the button" event where you tried to pry the cockpit open to announce to Eli that he's grounded.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
so this is dumb, but I'm going to say it. I was just thinking how MGSV is basically the story quirks of 2, with reality not being what it seems, you not being real snake etc, while following the continuity of MGS3...

2+3=5

EDIT: HOLY loving poo poo! Just saw this on reddit, where someone saw it on 4chan:

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 16, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Snak posted:

To be fair, that cardboard box took a staff of over a hundred R&D employees and the equivalent of many large diamonds in cash to be researched. I think Boss could have used a better accountant as well

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Castor Poe posted:

...Really?

Yep. In MGS4, hold up a Soldier and pat them down for items/ammo. At the end of the sequence, you grab their junk, squeeze and twist, knocking them out.

Try it on a FROG soldier (who are all ladies) and you get a swift kick in the jimmies for your trouble.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Snak posted:

so this is dumb, but I'm going to say it. I was just thinking how MGSV is basically the story quirks of 2, with reality not being what it seems, you not being real snake etc, while following the continuity of MGS3...

2+3=5

EDIT: HOLY loving poo poo! Just saw this on reddit, where someone saw it on 4chan:

Whats the thing on his shoulder for Eli?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

To be fair, that cardboard box took a staff of over a hundred R&D employees and the equivalent of many large diamonds in cash to be researched. I think Boss could have used a better accountant as well

Yeah, but the one from Snake Eater didn't. The one that Snake felt so at home in. So I like to imagine that all the time and money spent on R&D for boxes in TPP was the result of Venom demanding a box just like the one from Snake Eater. You think Kaz had it tough trying please Code Talker with burgers...

edit: ^ not sure, but it's whatever Eli has on his shoulder:

My guess it's a red beret.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Japanese players never cease to amaze :golfclap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0B35EbxoQs

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ignis posted:

Wow, he doesn't even shoot any of the other weak points. He could have easily hit at least one of the white canisters, i wonder why he didn't? I never even tried using the cannon, figured it would be worthless. The last time I got in a rocket apc trying to fight Sahelanthropus, I drove into a stack of red barrels just trying to turn around.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Snak posted:

Yeah, but the one from Snake Eater didn't. The one that Snake felt so at home in. So I like to imagine that all the time and money spent on R&D for boxes in TPP was the result of Venom demanding a box just like the one from Snake Eater. You think Kaz had it tough trying please Code Talker with burgers...

Thats loving heavy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sahelanthropus has weak points other than the stomach?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Just realized that the Outer Heaven skull has a hole right where Venom's shrapnel horn was.

Holy poo poo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I think the white pods and the radar dome at very least. Not sure of any others though.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ignis posted:

Does Hikari really count anymore? He's more of a force of nature at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

I think the white pods and the radar dome at very least. Not sure of any others though.

Arms can be damaged to stun it too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

As someone who passed out in my chair from trying to beat the EXTREME Sahelanthropus fight last night, the white canisters on its back can be destroyed with a single rocket each, do additional damage, and stun it for a short time. I'm wondering if they aren't destroyed in a single cannon shot, which would be why it's not worth targeting them using that strategy.

The most frustrating thing in that fight is the supply drop mechanic. I thought I would be smart, and call in my next supply drop ahead of time, so that it would be ready when I ran out of ammo. The problem is, when you fire your last rocket, they automatically send you a supply drop. You can only have one supply drop active at a time, and their auto-drop over-writes the previous one, so I'm literally 10 feet away from the ammo when it disappears from the ground and they are like "supply drop incoming". Thanks assholes.

This is really loving stupid, because it's basically penalizing you for trying to be smart and efficient.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Snak posted:

2+3=5

Noticed the red thing for Eli while playing but never noticed the others, also lol @ Venom having anger and wanting revenge at helicopters leading to summoning a giant flaming whale

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Dandywalken posted:

-The radome (reduces the homing missiles' accuracy)
- Both arms (extends the charge time of the saber attack)
- Both thighs (reduces the number of homing missiles fired at once)
- The white pods and exposed belly (large damage)

Destroying the head doesn't do anything in particular afaik, but you need to destroy it for a mission objective

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I am pretty sure you can gently caress up the flame-thrower dick-gun, and I worked really hard trying to see if I could break the railgun. Don't know if I ever succeeded cause my roommate woke up me up in my my gaming chair at 5am. dumb.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ignis posted:

-The radome (reduces the homing missiles' accuracy)
- Both arms (extends the charge time of the saber attack)
- Both thighs (reduces the number of homing missiles fired at once)
- The white pods and exposed belly (large damage)

Destroying the head doesn't do anything in particular afaik, but you need to destroy it for a mission objective

You can also aim for the knees. I dunno what kind of an effect it really has, it still jumps around as it pleases. But they do blow up nicely, and it staggers a bit when you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

You can also blow up the big box thing on the back of the head, which will cause it to only launch two of those delayed homing missiles that look like cylinders.

• Locked thread