Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

ProperCoochie posted:

I've been considering an EHX MicroSynth. But I'd like to use it for both bass and guitar. EHX makes a model specific to each, but I could only afford one. Which one would be a safer buy? I'm afraid of ruining the inner circuitry.

I have a guitar MS and it sounds fine on bass but you'll need to turn the sub-octave level down or it gets way too muddy.
If you're using it for solos and stuff on guitar above the 12th fret get the guitar one because it'll track high stuff better, otherwise get the bass version... Or just try both and get whatever you prefer.

Agrinja posted:

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with the MicroSynth. But broadly and simply speaking, the difference between bass and guitar pedals is the input filtering [And the EQ centers.] It's common practice to roll off some of the low, low end on a pedal input to help combat low frequency noise in the circuit, and pedals intended for guitar roll off more lows because outside of goofy tuning or extended range, you just aren't going to get that low down. You shouldn't hurt anything by running a bass through a guitar pedal, or vice versa, you'll just make your bass sound rather thin and lose a lot of your rumble.

The only difference between the guitar and bass MicroSynth (according to the circuit schematics) on the old big box versions is the three capacitors in the smoothing filter section are larger on the bass version (which drops the frequency range it covers), everything else is identical.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I'm looking for a true stereo (L/R ins and outs) analog phaser that isn't just two small stones placed close together. Suggestions?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
jesus like every phaser is one input two outputs except for the digitech/hardwire ones. Good luck.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Weird BIAS posted:

jesus like every phaser is one input two outputs except for the digitech/hardwire ones. Good luck.

Yeah, I know, the TC Helix exists, but it's digital. I'm not opposed to it, per se, but it'd be cool to go analog on this.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Somewhere in this thread a neat little gadget was linked for routing a pedalboard to an amp. It was a little box that allowed for either two or four-cable routing and kept all the ins and outs nice and tidy. I cannot for the life of me remember the company name or figure out the right search terms to dredge it up. Anyone remember what it was?

Edit: Not surprisingly, Stinkfoot has a project online. I still can't find the name of the company selling the pre-fab one though.

Edit 2: Found it! The GFI Interwire. It looks to me like it might be exactly the Stinkfoot design, though I can't tell if his has the "smart" feature of routing everything properly based on whether the effects send is plugged in.

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 14, 2015

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Hey guys did I ever tell you about that time I spent almost $500 on envelope filters

it was this week

(x-post from next gear purchase thread)

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

hey don't trust me with pedals guys, i almost snapped the pcb on my brand new bamboo belle epoch before realizing it didn't take batteries

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

What would be the easiest way to power a bass big muff, Boss TU-3 and a Ditto X2? Sorry I'm new to this and don't want any thing exploding on me

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
A one spot probably.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A one spot is fine but if you're going to stick with guitar for a long time I really suggest getting a Voodoo PP2 or something similar. One spots work but they're very unreliable and sound awfully noisy with most pedals in my experience. A nice power supply will las forever, let you tuck it in nicely in with your pedalboard, and give you a clean consistent power source for pretty much whatever you throw at it.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Joyo or Mooer or someone like that has a cheaper isolated power supply out now. It's probably not as reliable as the Voodoo Labs, or backed by as good a warrantee, but it might be a nice middle ground for getting the benefits of the PP2+ without shelling out for one.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Power supply is one area where you shouldn't cheap out. Just bite the bullet and get a PP2. You're going to eventually anyway after whatever piece of poo poo you have now fails.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Eh. I'd say unless you're actively gigging (and maybe even if you are) just go for the one spot to start with. I used one to power a whole bunch of random pedals in my old live rig and never had any trouble regardless of what pedals I used or how poo poo the venue power was.

If you do have issues and need to upgrade then who cares since they're pretty cheap. I doubt you'll have problems though.

If you're just playing in your bedroom then a PP2 is massive overkill.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

comes along bort posted:

Power supply is one area where you shouldn't cheap out. Just bite the bullet and get a PP2. You're going to eventually anyway after whatever piece of poo poo you have now fails.

Eh, pretty much all the fully isolated ones (Voodoo Labs, T-Rex Fuel Tank, new 1-Spot Pro, Decibel Eleven Hot Stone, BBE Supa Charger, MXR Iso Brick, Walrus Audio Ateos, Digitech Hardwire V10) are constructed pretty much the same, and cost all about the same, and function pretty much the same, give or take a couple options for voltage or current on an output or two. It's not exactly a complicated piece of electronics to put together, just kinda pricey. Even the new Joyo JP-04, with fully isolated outputs, runs $120+.

Edit: ^^^ it's really not, if you've bothered to put together a pedalboard. It makes keeping the cables organized soooooooo much easier.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Schpyder posted:

Edit: ^^^ it's really not, if you've bothered to put together a pedalboard. It makes keeping the cables organized soooooooo much easier.

I have and while I do use an isolated supply now the relative ease of cable organisation isn't that much better and certainly isn't worth paying 6 times the price for the PP2.

In any case the original question was asking about powering three common, modern pedals. A One Spot will be fine.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Yeah, I didn't worry about getting an isolated power supply until I had like 6 pedals to deal with and was out of power strip room. Three common modern pedals is pretty much an ideal use case for a One Spot (which was going to be my initial suggestion, but havelock got that in the first reply).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

This is good advice that I have never succeeded to follow

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Seriously it's so worth "overpaying" for a Voodoo or *preference* here. I've never played live and my PP2 is one of my favorite purchases. It's something I bought that I know will be 100% consistent and I'll never have to think about it. I would feel bad about recommending a one spot purchase to someone. Honestly UncleBlazer if you want one though hit me up with your email and I'll mail you my old onespot with daisy cables for free.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Power supplies aren't an exciting purchase for many so they neglect them.
Same with PC power supplies, but it's the single most import thing you can buy really. it's all fun and games until your cheap PSU blows, leaves you with no power and also fries your shiny things.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

One spots are cheap and if it works it works. No reason to spend $200+ on pro poo poo you don't need when $20 will do just fine. I'd recommend the one spot first and if it doesn't work out that's not a lot of money spent and they're real handy to have around just in case anyway.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The good isolated ones aren't even that expensive. I mean if all you have are Behringer/Joyo/whatever knockoffs then yeah I can see balking at dropping $100+ on a power supply, but if you're picking up fancy-pants fuzzboxes or whatever, you can afford it.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Seriously it's so worth "overpaying" for a Voodoo or *preference* here. I've never played live and my PP2 is one of my favorite purchases. It's something I bought that I know will be 100% consistent and I'll never have to think about it. I would feel bad about recommending a one spot purchase to someone. Honestly UncleBlazer if you want one though hit me up with your email and I'll mail you my old onespot with daisy cables for free.

That would honestly be fantastic but I'm in England and I don't think a lot of you guys are :(

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

UncleBlazer posted:

That would honestly be fantastic but I'm in England and I don't think a lot of you guys are :(

If you're in the UK just get the grey Harley Benton from Thomann. It's cheap and it has very good reviews everywhere I've looked.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

UncleBlazer posted:

Aw man, that's a shame. Sorry for the tease!

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aw man, that's a shame. Sorry for the tease!

Don't apologise! I'm going to go with pondex's suggestion :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Schpyder posted:

Eh, pretty much all the fully isolated ones (Voodoo Labs, T-Rex Fuel Tank, new 1-Spot Pro, Decibel Eleven Hot Stone, BBE Supa Charger, MXR Iso Brick, Walrus Audio Ateos, Digitech Hardwire V10) are constructed pretty much the same, and cost all about the same, and function pretty much the same, give or take a couple options for voltage or current on an output or two. It's not exactly a complicated piece of electronics to put together, just kinda pricey. Even the new Joyo JP-04, with fully isolated outputs, runs $120+.

I didn't even know there was a JP-04, huh. Looks nice... I picked up the JP-02 for $60 a few months ago and I can at least say it's a big, quiet step up from the Danelectrode/1spot daisychain I was using.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Been playing bass for years, but never gotten into effects, until now:

Barbershop OD, made in Quebec.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The manufacturer of OneSpot makes a version with 7 isolated outputs for $120. That or a FuelTank Jr ($110 new, less used) is a good starting point if you think you're going to get into pedals. If not the regular OneSpot is fine (and as long as you don't have lovely electricity is fine in 90% of situations)

What are some cool chorus pedals? I have a Danelectro FAB Chorus and a Zoom CDR but I'm looking to expand my horizons. Anything off the beaten CE/Small Clone paths

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

The manufacturer of OneSpot makes a version with 7 isolated outputs for $120. That or a FuelTank Jr ($110 new, less used) is a good starting point if you think you're going to get into pedals. If not the regular OneSpot is fine (and as long as you don't have lovely electricity is fine in 90% of situations)

What are some cool chorus pedals? I have a Danelectro FAB Chorus and a Zoom CDR but I'm looking to expand my horizons. Anything off the beaten CE/Small Clone paths

Eqd the depths or sea machine

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Declan MacManus posted:

Moog MF Chorus

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Has anyone tried the Digitech Drop who can comment on its tracking latency? I'm interested in the concept, but if it's anything like the EHX Pitch Fork I have that has too much tracking latency to be useful to me as a parallel effect then I'll have to find something else.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Handen posted:

Has anyone tried the Digitech Drop who can comment on its tracking latency? I'm interested in the concept, but if it's anything like the EHX Pitch Fork I have that has too much tracking latency to be useful to me as a parallel effect then I'll have to find something else.

I purchased the Drop for a reason you touched on: all of it's competitors have noticeable latency. I use it often with Rocksmith, where any latency at all can ruin the game. If the Drop has any, I'm not hearing it, and the game isn't having issues either. Only downside is the price tag.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Handen posted:

The Pitchfork's latency can be reduced if you put a headphone jack plug into the exp pedal input.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

That's bonkers. Why does the jack have that big an effect?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Weird BIAS posted:

The Pitchfork's latency can be reduced if you put a headphone jack plug into the exp pedal input.

Does it have to be a headphone jack plug or will hooking up an expression pedal work just as well?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Maybe I misunderstood but you're talking about the latency for when the effect turns on right?

"In Momentary mode the EXP input controls glissando rate for the Pitch Fork’s footswitch. When the bypass footswitch is pressed, the Pitch Fork jumps from bypass to the interval set by the Shift knob. The amount of time it takes to reach that new note is the glissando rate. When the footswitch is released the pitch will return to unity at the same rate. That glissando time can vary between 4 milliseconds to two seconds depending on the heel/toe position of the expression pedal. The default glissando rate is 60 milliseconds when nothing is plugged into the EXP input."

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I don't know why I did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok3QmjxyxVc

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I don't mean to double post, but there's a rad set of rainbow machines on massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/earthquaker-devices-custom-rainbow-machine-pedal

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I don't either but I'm glad you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Yarbald posted:

I don't either but I'm glad you did.

drat right.