Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
I just hope that since this is set in the LA area, people from Bakersfield/Kern County make an appearance as a bunch of violent hillbilly/cholo raiders and cannibal road warriors like in that post-apocalyptic novel Lucifer's Hammer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer%27s_Hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^ Hey thanks for reminding me about that book, I've been meaning to read it for ages and always forget about it!

Cactus posted:

I like to handwave all that stuff away by thinking it's just different versions of the virus mutating and evolving, affecting small pockets of people at different rates. The specifics of the magic zombie curse and how it works beyond the broad strokes aren't that important, the zombies are just a catalyst to end civilisation and put pressure on the survivors.

My working assumption so far has been that the virus is either still mutating into a 100% contagious form or that it hasn't yet spread to everyone, so every day an increasing number of recently deceased are rising, but it's been ramping up slowly over the previous few days/week-ish, or at least that's the read I get from the dialog taking place before things really go to hell.

quote:

What this and the parent show does best is overall atmosphere. The original got the whole "dead world" feel down, and this one, so far, is nailing the "dying world" feeling too. It's the little things like the hobo zombie in the background, the police loading their car with water, the abandoned school, the lights going out and them driving past the hospital shootout, the neighbour getting attacked across the street and the mother shutting it out... all that stuff is great. How it will fare once we're past that stage and in the same dead world as the parent show is anyones guess and that's why I hope it keeps the inner-city setting but for now that is what I'm enjoying the most about this show.

Agreed on all points, and ideally if the show wants to be distinct from the main one, it'll take a somewhat different tack. We've got some time until we reach the world Rick wakes up in and hey maybe the show will just do one episode = one day or something, or maybe LA or the West Coast fares very slightly better than elsewhere, so there are other established factions and power groups in the city to contend with or some reason to stay in the city, like rumors the military has secured Hawaii and is sending the Marines to evacuate the survivors of LA or something, I dunno.

But man for all the dumb poo poo this whole media franchise has in it, it rarely falters on atmosphere. I was genuinely tense during most of the most recent episode even without liking half the characters, and they did a surprisingly good job of making things feel very, very dangerous with just two zombies around.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

Mister Adequate posted:

e; ^ Hey thanks for reminding me about that book, I've been meaning to read it for ages and always forget about it!

Starts out a little slow but that just makes it all the more fun once it goes full on awesome the entire way through to the end after the impact.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

I just hope that since this is set in the LA area, people from Bakersfield/Kern County make an appearance as a bunch of violent hillbilly/cholo raiders and cannibal road warriors like in that post-apocalyptic novel Lucifer's Hammer.

All the surviving cholos made their way to Georgia to open up a nursing home.

imurdaddy415
Sep 15, 2015
Just got caught up. I'm honestly liking this more than TWD. Mostly because I think I can see myself reacting the same. Joking aside, does anyone here have a bug out bag?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Captain Log posted:

If we were really going to gun sperg all the buckshot I've ever seen has longer brass on it. That red shell looked like a sporting clay shell.

You're right, it looked like every box of skeet ammo I've ever bought at walmart. Short, low brass, red shells.

So people know why we're sperging, the length of the brass at the base of the shell is a determining factor in how much gunpowder is in it. For target loads the brass is only something like 1/4" long, for buckshot and most bird shot it's noticeably longer.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Sorry, lots of quotes incoming-

JossiRossi posted:

The most annoying part is that people were yelling at Travis from the neighbor's house, and he could not hear them in the living room he was in.

Minutes later the sister yells from the neighbor's house and everyone hears it instantly from the living room.

Wasn't the sliding glass open then?

fancy stats posted:

On the other hand, it's been less than a full day since any of these characters (save for the son, but he just thought he was going insane for a while) has actually seen or interacted about zombies. Not a whole lot of time for someone to review their personal tenets.

If my immediate family is in potential danger and civil authorities seem overwhelmed and there IS a gun present, I'd make sure everyone knew how to use one just for safety's sake, let alone self defense. But then again, I'm not a beta bitch like travis, so fair enough.

Captain Log posted:

In an apocalypse setting how would you guys feel about gun and potentially using them for protection? The dads aversion to guns made me laugh but being a huge flaming liberal I had to remind myself that the majority of my friends find the concept of gun ownership and use completely offensive. Do you personally think it would be long before you wanted a firearm?

Hopefully long enough so that I can take your poo poo.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I thought her jumping to "I am going to bash my neighbor's skull in" leap was a little fast, for sure.

The writers are DEFINITELY struggling to not infuse their characters with zombie movie knowledge. Unless you do drugs. Then you know what's up immediately. Meth and oxy: Zombie plague super drugs?

Remember Madison is like half a step behind Nick in exposure to the undead and the only one to actually kill a zed. I don't think that was a leap at all for her to realize they are actually dead. or undead, whatever. Also, Nick actually killed the drug dealer, saw him shamble around later then ran over him multiple times. He knows what's up and it's very logical.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh yeah. They're definitely jumping the gun on the "know what's up and make peace with it" thing for some characters, way too quickly.

I don't think so at all. There are two that think they are risen dead and Maddy not killing her neighbor shows even she has doubts. It's really only Nick that seems to firmly believe they are risen dead so not sure who you're talking about.

Cactus posted:

I like to handwave all that stuff away by thinking it's just different versions of the virus mutating and evolving, affecting small pockets of people at different rates. The specifics of the magic zombie curse and how it works beyond the broad strokes aren't that important, the zombies are just a catalyst to end civilisation and put pressure on the survivors.

What this and the parent show does best is overall atmosphere. The original got the whole "dead world" feel down, and this one, so far, is nailing the "dying world" feeling too. It's the little things like the hobo zombie in the background, the police loading their car with water, the abandoned school, the lights going out and them driving past the hospital shootout, the neighbour getting attacked across the street and the mother shutting it out... all that stuff is great. How it will fare once we're past that stage and in the same dead world as the parent show is anyones guess and that's why I hope it keeps the inner-city setting but for now that is what I'm enjoying the most about this show.

Great post, I echo everything here. I really, really want to stay in the world of poo poo falling apart, we've got TWD for aftermath story.

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh man, I haven't read that book in twenty years but it and The Stand were my favorite apocalypse survival stories forever. Great read.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder what they'll end up calling zombies on the west coast. They will probably not call them 'walkers'.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder what they'll end up calling zombies on the west coast. They will probably not call them 'walkers'.

Geeks :mmmhmm:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

TOOT BOOT posted:

Captain Tripps

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

"Freepers" would be so perfect.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Captain Tripps

Walkin' Dudes

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Hella Grodies.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Vanderdeath posted:

Hella Grodies.
Hoping for "Los grodie", and they subtitle it as "walkers". Every goddam time

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Tweakers.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Uggos.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Reagans.

I'm surprised they didn't get Schwarzenegger to do a cameo, I mean he was governor when TWD started and usually down for that kind of thing. Hearing him on the radio advising people to shelter-in-place would have been a great touch.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Holy gently caress someone else of forums age has read that book?!?!

I hope they are called chatterers. Well, they never click their jaws so scratch that.

Also on gun spergin I wish more shows would reference how god damned load and jarring gunfire can be. Especially indoors, if you've ever had that pleasure.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Also I want a MMA fighter character. Someone who tries to grapple a zombie or that is able to kick a rotten limb/head off.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The part of the episode when they ran away from the riot and drove past the hospital was AMAZING and extremely efficient in communicating the theme of the show. It actually sent shivers down my spine and made my stomach shrivel in anxiety.

Pity the rest of the episode was complete garbage, just like the remainder of the series so far.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The part of the episode when they ran away from the riot and drove past the hospital was AMAZING and extremely efficient in communicating the theme of the show. It actually sent shivers down my spine and made my stomach shrivel in anxiety.

I also thought that was great visual communication in particular.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think it's so frustrating that moments of brilliance like that shine through the otherwise mediocre whole product; imagine what this show would be if it were written by A-tier writers. The only thing I can think of that captures the apocalyptic feel better is the film The Road, but I could name ten other shows off the top of my head that feature better written characters and storylines.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

My working assumption so far has been that the virus is either still mutating into a 100% contagious form or that it hasn't yet spread to everyone, so every day an increasing number of recently deceased are rising, but it's been ramping up slowly over the previous few days/week-ish, or at least that's the read I get from the dialog taking place before things really go to hell.

That's not really the important thing with regards to how the story (should) play out. Remember CDC guy in TWD only really firmly comes to the conclusion that everyone is infected when Rick et al. show up. This means that everyone's infected, but if the army have a test for infection that they're using on people who have been 'exposed' they almost certainly at this point don't realise that it's going to return a positive on everyone.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

hepscat posted:

Endless maze in the backyard, but she looks out the window and sees neighbor zombie going in the sliding glass door 20 feet away at most.

Really glad someone else noticed that. Also that none of the folks going into the silence of the house could manage to hear everyone screaming for them to not go in.

I also love that the truck cannot manage to go above 15MPH. Whoever made the pirates of the caribbean comment was spot on.

moist turtleneck posted:

So is Scaredy McLiberalPants going to figure out that guns are good in the apocalypse or is his whiney son going to blow his head off so he can say "See, I told you so"

Well, it IS california, so I imagine the latter.

JossiRossi posted:

I love that even though the Junkie is now at his own house, he has yet to change out of his old man clothes.

Or shower.
Old man clothes will be his version of the vest with angel wings. Maybe old man clothes are comfy?

ChesterJT posted:

I think he was referring to the other guy who made it an issue in the first place. Sorry if that picture I google searched for 3 seconds to find to make a point about the show this thread is here for upset your delicate sensibilities.

I've been around firearms my entire life and never heard of a cylinder choke.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I thought her jumping to "I am going to bash my neighbor's skull in" leap was a little fast, for sure.

The writers are DEFINITELY struggling to not infuse their characters with zombie movie knowledge. Unless you do drugs. Then you know what's up immediately. Meth and oxy: Zombie plague super drugs?

People have already forgotten about Eugene Jr. :(

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

That is an amazing book, by the way.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 18, 2015

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Blazing Ownager posted:

The biggest problem is this doesn't mesh up with how zombies work in the original show AT ALL. That riot should have been a full on zombie horde in minutes, if even a couple zombies were in the middle of it. Not to mention the fact that they've somehow been entirely sneaky until now.

Not trying to be snarky but you should really re-watch TWD. When Amy (Andrea's sister) gets her neck chewed off it takes a minute or two for her to bleed out and then hours later she comes back. You're thinking of World War Z or 28 Days Later I think.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

That is an amazing book, by the way.

A bit "Turner Diarie" at some points, unfortunately.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MeLKoR posted:

A bit "Turner Diarie" at some points, unfortunately.

If you can get past who authored it and the reasoning behind it being written, "One Second After" is good as well.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Unzip and Attack posted:

Not trying to be snarky but you should really re-watch TWD. When Amy (Andrea's sister) gets her neck chewed off it takes a minute or two for her to bleed out and then hours later she comes back. You're thinking of World War Z or 28 Days Later I think.

Shane stands back up inside of two minutes. TWD is pretty inconsistent.

You probably shouldn't think about it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Tellah posted:

Shane stands back up inside of two minutes. TWD is pretty inconsistent.

You probably shouldn't think about it.

Didn't they explain that though? That some took many hours, and some only took a few minutes?

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
Yeah, someone observes that in the show. There's no explanation - not that anyone wants one.

It really just amounts to whether the scene calls for empathy, dramatic tension, or a jump-scare/grapple. It's impossible to see it as anything but a narrative crutch.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Tellah posted:

Yeah, someone observes that in the show. There's no explanation - not that anyone wants one.

It really just amounts to whether the scene calls for empathy, dramatic tension, or a jump-scare/grapple. It's impossible to see it as anything but a narrative crutch.

That's absolutely irrelevant to the original point- in the TWD universe, going from corpse to zombie can be minutes to several hours, so the LA riot wouldn't be overrun in minutes with zombies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The new show has given us a zombie riot cop (who presumably turned quickly) and presented corpses that hadn't yet animated. It's consistently inconsistent.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

warcrimes posted:

That's absolutely irrelevant to the original point- in the TWD universe, going from corpse to zombie can be minutes to several hours, so the LA riot wouldn't be overrun in minutes with zombies.

Yeah an explicit point was made in TWD 'it can be minutes, it can be hours'. The show isn't inconsistent, the length of time it takes a corpse to animate is consciously inconsistent.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Fog Tripper posted:

.People have already forgotten about Eugene Jr. :(

If you're talking about Tobias, his actor is listed in the opening credits, so I'm hopeful our fave little goon is coming back...

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's always depicted as them raising within minutes - a full day, pretty much. It seems like the ones that really get killed utterly turn faster.

So if even 10% of that crowd of thousands we turning like that, it should have been on a full zombie riot in minutes.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

LadyPictureShow posted:

If you're talking about Tobias, his actor is listed in the opening credits, so I'm hopeful our fave little goon is coming back...

I would be perfectly fine of they killed off everyone besides Tobias and Latino Man. I would watch just those two get into escapades every week. Would be as close to zombieland as the show could get.

Bonus if they ran into Rick's group doing the zombie guts camo, and killing them all thinking they were actual zombies. Much like Bill Murray.

Well, kill everyone but Morgan.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 19, 2015

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

warcrimes posted:

Blazing Ownager posted:

So if even 10% of that crowd of thousands we turning like that, it should have been on a full zombie riot in minutes.

A zombie-riot would not have been in keeping with the slow-burn tone the show was utilizing for the front half of the season. The point is that, because zombification time is inconsistent, it could have gone either way.

For thematic reasons (maintaining protagonist naivete, budget constraint, man-is-the-real-danger signaling) the crowd did not all turn into zombies despite the fact that several people were already getting their necks chewed off.

I maintain you shouldn't think about it; the only conclusions to be drawn are listed above, and the route to them is paved with narrative conceits.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think they're actually walking the tightrope of showing a zombie apocalypse in progress really well given how done-to-death the arguments over how plausible it is are. Animation is inconsistent in time so it's hard for people to draw the dots. The fact that everyone turns means that hospitals are the first places to be lost and emergency services start to collapse under pressure before anyone's aware there's even a crisis. Police shootings leading to mass rioting gives a plausible reason for a loss of government control over urban centres, which gives zombie herds the chance to form and reach critical mass in the chaos.

The foreground character drama is on extremely shaky ground and could easily go either way (hell, TWD did go either way from season to season), but I think everything that's happening in the background of the episodes is really good and thought through.

As steinrokkan posted, the scene when they drive past the hospital is amazing. And it's just the characters watching something happen as they drive past.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
They must kill the whiny kid immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Alchenar posted:

As steinrokkan posted, the scene when they drive past the hospital is amazing. And it's just the characters watching something happen as they drive past.

It was good in regard to what was happening in the background. That said, the 20MPH way they drive past incredibly hairy situations removes all enjoyment.

That truck. That loving truck.

• Locked thread