Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

He has to explain what lightbulbs and churches are to Chum, despite Chum very clearly being older than him.

Nah the apocolypse is just hard on you, Chumbucket grew up breathing nothing but chemical exhaust and radioactive dust, spending sixteen hours a day elbow deep in oil and grease then daily harpoon practice for another four hours then a super restful four hours of shut eye. Chum is like twenty-three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Crappy Jack posted:

I want to hate this, but at the same time, he's put in a straight jacket by a bunch of dudes dressed in white and lead by a guy who wears a mask covering his mouth, who keep taking his blood away because he's so crazy.

you just blew my mind

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Huh. So the mines in the minefields are anti-personnel mines as well as anti-vehicle mines? Good to know...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
It's too bad you can't keep those mines for whatever. Convoy busting would be pretty fun :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, you sadly don't have many mechanical tricks up your sleeve on the ground. Recovering those mines to blow up convoys with would be perfect.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Holy gently caress yes, ambushing convoys with IEDs was one of the best parts of Far Cry 2.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I hope Just Cause 3 has convoys to gently caress up. In Just Cause 2 there was one or two car chases at the start, but that was it. With your parachute and grappling hook you were able to fly faster than most cars and it was amazing.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Speedball posted:

Yeah, you sadly don't have many mechanical tricks up your sleeve on the ground. Recovering those mines to blow up convoys with would be perfect.

There are mine-dropping cars you can swipe actually, though the mines blow up after a short period of time so you can't really make a good ambush with it then summon the Magnum Opus unfortunately.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I personally never really got into Just Cause 2. I bought the game on Steam sale played it for a couple of hours and never touched it again. Mad Max, however, I could not stop playing.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I had a miracle save last night during my playthrough of Mad Max. I was in the middle of a sandstorm and got hit serveral times by debris that ended up making my health go low. While max was taking his time getting up from the intense velocity of the metal slamming his face, I just saw a glint appear on my screen that was purple/red which indicated that a sniper was about ready to execute me on the spot.

However, praise be to the eternal angel combustion. The storm showed mercy and actually struck lightning at the sniper tower just in time, destroying the tower alongside with the sniper. I think the chances of that happening was minimal but holy poo poo did I just get lucky.

Also here is a screenshot I took in capture mode.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Korgan posted:

You must be doing something wrong 'cos I just checked and it's definitely true.

I'm on PC, saved again in slot 10 just in case, started again and saved over slot 1, did some tutorial missions in the starting area and I can use the jacket and shotgun after unlocking the Max menu.

No Interceptor though, maybe when I hit Jeet's? :pray:

:psyduck: This does not work for me at alllll. I also haven't found any other evidence of this searching around other forums. I think your game glitched out in the best way possible, unless this happens to other folks too? I just want this gog dank jacket, maan. :(

texasmed
May 27, 2004
dont worry his shotgun sucks balls and the jacket is op

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

texasmed posted:

dont worry his shotgun sucks balls and the jacket is op

The shotgun is dope and the jacket looks cool I don't give a gently caress why you gotta be such a downer. :mad: Meet me in Thunderdome in 5 minutes for an asskicking.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
"OP" item in a single player game. :lol:

I'm rounding up the last history relics and drat this game suffers from post story open world syndrome in that there's gently caress all to really do :(

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Max....what did you do to that man, Max?:ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shinjobi posted:

Max....what did you do to that man, Max?:ohdear:

The sad thing is, he left no witnesses, despite the Warboy's desperate pleas.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
What is it with you assholes and lite-brite :mad:

:madmax:

I really like Gutgash's territory, with all the jagged bits. Reminds me of the exterior shots in Aliens.

FEED ME A STRAY WAR BOY.

Interceptor has a hell of a lot of armor, too.

God I wish there was a game+ where you could just use the Interceptor as a body for the Opus. Toss Chum where the fuel tanks go, party.

Then ya know still bolt that huge cow catcher to the front and a lift kit and etc :v:

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I just stumbled across possibly the best dialogue.

Random Wastelander: Surely this is your work.
Chum: It is....and don't call him Shirley.

:allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Chum is the best character.

Beat the game last night and I liked it. While the writing did tend to suck (i.e. Max is generic edgelord video game protagonist) it did have its moments and as previously said Chum is fun. It's also a bit too grimdark considering the movies really aren't. The driving and combat were mostly solid aside from some wonky poo poo here and there. It was just fun exploring and I liked how every camp and scavenger location was unique. It also had great atmosphere, the Dunes was great. Overall a good sandbox game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Speaking of dialogue, it seems things change with the random folks you can meet post story

:smith:

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

God drat it game. Anyone know of a fix? I've tried revisiting them but didn't get any joy that way.

Bagpuss fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 16, 2015

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Capn Beeb posted:

"OP" item in a single player game. :lol:

I'm rounding up the last history relics and drat this game suffers from post story open world syndrome in that there's gently caress all to really do :(

Depends on what you saved until the end. I just lost 6 happy hours to post-game clean-up, and I've still got a whole ton of camps and even a few convoys left, in addition to scavenging and races. How on earth I managed to do this, with 70+ hours invested, I don't know.

Saving a camp and a convoy in each region where possible, to spawn vehicles for some of the trickier challenges still on my list. The 3 second jumps in a storm are going to be annoying, may need to AFK in a good spot and wait for the weather to change.

I tell you though, I'm *still* amazed at some of the variety in these scavenging locations. Sure, a few are just generic shanties, but most are not. Found one that was hidden away, with two skeletons intertwined on a matress, with hearts drawn on the wall above them. There's some amazing environmental storytelling in this game.

I should be playing MGS, which is a good game, but I can't leave Mad Max alone.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

:psyduck: This does not work for me at alllll. I also haven't found any other evidence of this searching around other forums. I think your game glitched out in the best way possible, unless this happens to other folks too? I just want this gog dank jacket, maan. :(

Dunno what to tell you man, I finished the game, did all the optional locations and pretty much 100% everything except the races, moved my main save to a new slot, started again over my old main save, did the tutorial a bit and the jacket and shotgun were waiting for me. Hell, the only reason I thought to give this a shot was Capn Beeb saying he'd seen someone else saying you could.

Also there's no Interceptor until you finish the story again. :argh:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The shotgun is dope and the jacket looks cool I don't give a gently caress why you gotta be such a downer. :mad: Meet me in Thunderdome in 5 minutes for an asskicking.

They should have made it like Road Warrior and just given you a shotgun that had no ammo. I really fuckin like Road Warrior.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

On the subject of Mad Max continuity: The closest we have to an official time line is from the comics that came out with Fury Road recently. Mad Max is after the resource shortages and wars fought due to this, in between it and Road Warrior the nukes go off and the planet gets totally hosed to the point where there aren't even oceans anymore, Road Warrior happens and Max goes off on a quest to start rebuilding his car, then Thunderdome, then in between he gets his car rebuilt, then it gets immediately stolen and trashed again in Fury Road.

Not sure if/where the game could possibly fit in there.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I appreciate that going shirtless is fine and viable as long as you get real good at counters and stuff. Shirtless, huge hobo beard Max suplexing and fuckin brutal arm-barring dudes is a thing I never knew I wanted so much until this game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

TheJoker138 posted:

On the subject of Mad Max continuity: The closest we have to an official time line is from the comics that came out with Fury Road recently. Mad Max is after the resource shortages and wars fought due to this, in between it and Road Warrior the nukes go off and the planet gets totally hosed to the point where there aren't even oceans anymore, Road Warrior happens and Max goes off on a quest to start rebuilding his car, then Thunderdome, then in between he gets his car rebuilt, then it gets immediately stolen and trashed again in Fury Road.

Not sure if/where the game could possibly fit in there.

The game is set shortly before Fury Road.

The biggest question is how Max rebuilds the interceptor between Thunderdome and the game/Fury Road. It was trashed in the 2nd movie after all. I maintain he didn't actually have the interceptor back at all, it's future storytellers mixing up the details, and he just had "a car" at this point. Or maybe he did indeed go back and salvage a 25 year old wreck. Not much else to do in the wasteland I guess.

Hey, turns out you can cheese a couple of the challenges if you're ticking them all off. I've got 16 left, half of which involve archangels I haven't finished building yet. Stuff like ramming 5 Skullbutts head on, you can just drive your own Skullbutt outside, send up a flare for Chum, and smash the car. It counts. Only a few challenges you can do this way, but it beats chasing around the wasteland hoping a specific car spawns and that you can kill it a specific way.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

The game is set shortly before Fury Road.

The biggest question is how Max rebuilds the interceptor between Thunderdome and the game/Fury Road. It was trashed in the 2nd movie after all. I maintain he didn't actually have the interceptor back at all, it's future storytellers mixing up the details, and he just had "a car" at this point. Or maybe he did indeed go back and salvage a 25 year old wreck. Not much else to do in the wasteland I guess.

The comic says that he had spent years between Road Warrior and Thunderdome rebuilding it piece by piece. Like that cart he's driving at the beginning of Thunderdome? Full of car parts. The game also doesn't really seem to fit in the continuity it puts forth if it's supposed to be before Fury Road because he goes to Gas Town in the comic to get the last piece for the interceptor that he needs, and People Eater is the guy running it. No mention of Scrotus. Although he is mentioned as Immortan Joes third son in the Immortan Joe issue.

E: Oh and to be clear I don't actually care about this because of the myth thing going on. If the game doesn't fit it's because it's just someone else telling the story about how Max had his car wrecked and had to rebuild it. Even in the comic it's a story being told long after Fury Road by a history man who was just a kid at the time the movie takes place. So there being two versions of "Max got car wrecked, rebuilt car, then Fury Road happened" makes sense.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 16, 2015

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I only have one thing left in the final achievement, kill 15 boarders with car spikes, and I can't do it because i've done everything else so there are no boarder cars left. Some people said they occationally spawn in a certain spot but after 4 hours searching around there i only saw 1 and it killed itsself right away.

I don't want to start over for it :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I'm at 99% on the history relics, and cannot find a spot on the map where it's telling me there's one available.

Provided these things are in order, I'm missing the one after the nitrous tank:

BAH GAWD DON'T DO THIS SOMEBODY STOP THE drat APOCALYPSE

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm at 99% on the history relics, and cannot find a spot on the map where it's telling me there's one available.

Did you get the one in Pink Eye's stronghold?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Capn Beeb posted:

Go up to the top level of Pink Eye's stronghold and look over in a corner where a bed can be found, there's a relic there that doesn't have the standard gear icon over it - it's the one I was missing too.

I gave up on the "Up to the Task" achievement, it'll just have to sit there as the only one I didn't get - I completed every non-repeating challenge in the game, collected every collectible item, completed every race (including the legendary trophies) and it still didn't pop up, so I have no clue what I'm missing. There's nothing left to do in the game outside of about 8 repeating challenges I didn't get and I feel like I've played more than enough now. Very fun game, very enjoyable, and a drat bargain for the price I paid since it was so heavily discounted before release.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I really fuckin like Road Warrior.

:allears: What's your favorite scene?

As much as I like this game I think I'm pretty bitter over not having those iconic elements throughout the main story, but I guess it's in line with George Miller's fetish for deconstructing Max as an icon throughout the films. In Road Warrior, he loses the car. In Thunderdome, he loses the shotgun, and at the end he loses the jacket. In Fury Road, the loving Interceptor gets blown up TWICE.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Uncle Wemus posted:

I only have one thing left in the final achievement, kill 15 boarders with car spikes, and I can't do it because i've done everything else so there are no boarder cars left. Some people said they occationally spawn in a certain spot but after 4 hours searching around there i only saw 1 and it killed itsself right away.

This is why I saved a couple of convoys, I was paranoid about running out of guaranteed car spawns. I reckon you should just hold on, maybe they'll do a Far Cry 3 and patch in an option to reset camps and convoys. Or there may come some DLC packs which you may want. Be patient, they've got a bugfix patch to get out but after that all sorts of chances for fixes that may help you out.

Some of the smaller Scrotus patrols have a single boarder hanging off the side of a buggy, you might catch some of those roaming around. Though, not if you've cleaned that map.

TheJoker138 posted:

The comic says that he had spent years between Road Warrior and Thunderdome rebuilding it piece by piece. Like that cart he's driving at the beginning of Thunderdome? Full of car parts. The game also doesn't really seem to fit in the continuity it puts forth if it's supposed to be before Fury Road because he goes to Gas Town in the comic to get the last piece for the interceptor that he needs, and People Eater is the guy running it. No mention of Scrotus. Although he is mentioned as Immortan Joes third son in the Immortan Joe issue.

E: Oh and to be clear I don't actually care about this because of the myth thing going on. If the game doesn't fit it's because it's just someone else telling the story about how Max had his car wrecked and had to rebuild it. Even in the comic it's a story being told long after Fury Road by a history man who was just a kid at the time the movie takes place. So there being two versions of "Max got car wrecked, rebuilt car, then Fury Road happened" makes sense.

Well then clearly he went to Gastown for a piece he needed after the game, and before Fury Road. Still works for me.

I need to track down those comics. Was a bit wary of doing so as I heard the shitstorm when they hosed up Furiosa and got all rapey and blamey. Wondering if it's worth reading, or better to skip. I'll probably look, just because I need all the Mad Max.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Uncle Wemus posted:

I feel like the boarder spikes are useless for the most part because I have had the max spike upgrade for like 25 hours of gameplay and out of being boarded about 15 times the spikes have only killed 2-3 of them. Something is fucky.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean I'm maybe (maybe) halfway through the game and I very rarely get boarded because you can clearly see guys getting ready to board you and prevent them from boarding you. Just harpoon them off their cars or drive around to the opposite side from where they're jumping and ram their car. Or even just pull the tire off the car, problem solved.

That's why I don't bother with boarder spikes. They don't really look Max appropriate besides.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The only time that the spikes worked for me was when I was parked and a War Boy ran up to leap on my car, impaling himself on the spikes. I consider the comedy value of that to be worth at least as much as the scrap cost.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Parkingtigers posted:

I need to track down those comics. Was a bit wary of doing so as I heard the shitstorm when they hosed up Furiosa and got all rapey and blamey. Wondering if it's worth reading, or better to skip. I'll probably look, just because I need all the Mad Max.

The Furiosa comic is garbage, and the Nux/Immortan Joe comics are pointless (you pretty much get all that information from the movie). The comics that focus on Max, however, are cool as gently caress. Not necessary, but a fun Max adventure that feels like an alternate telling of the game.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Man, the Gastown Race is infuriating as gently caress. It feels like the game imposes some weird handling penalty, because my Opus has gone from laser-guided, super-charged, guzzoline missile to completely squirrelly shitbox that can't travel in a straight line in an open arena. What are some of y'all's set-ups for the race? I'm running a Wild Hunt body, no ramming grill, lightest armor, dual groovies, grinders, and maxed out suspension, engine, boost, and thunderpoon. I'm careful with the throttle for fear that the car goes immediately sideways, and gently caress boosting in that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The common solution to the Gastown level is to ignore the race and just kill everyone.

• Locked thread