Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I vant to suck your blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
you're actually entitled to benefits

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Phoon posted:

i just want to say that this argument is a complete waste of time for everyone involved

It's ok, I've got another 10 minutes or so to gently caress away down the drain

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Should have found a way to work in Jeremy's jam. Must try harder.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
In news related to earlier poppychat, Corbae's apparently ruled out the white poppy. A shame, it would've been a good message to wear both, I think.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's reassuring that he's started to actually consider electability.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Phoon posted:

Ok I'll pretend to be a tory

PRETEND?!?!?!?!?!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If the gun had a gun this would never have happen.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Prince John posted:

Having discovered parliament live from the postings yesterday, UKMT may find the Child Poverty debate interesting here.

Some great performances by the SNP and Labour's Kate Green gives a thoughtful maiden speech in her new role as well. A very nice surprise also to hear a Northern Irish MP speaking in an intelligent way about sensible topics as well.

Edit: Some interesting figures from the minister. Under the coalition, apparently 800k fewer people in relative poverty, including 300k fewer children. 50,000 fewer householders where nobody has ever worked. Number of children in workless households has fallen by 300k since 2010 and is now a record low.

Helps when you redefine "poverty" though.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

sebzilla posted:

Helps when you redefine "poverty" though.

Also, ignore that, too boot.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Phoon posted:

i just want to say that this argument is a complete waste of time for everyone involved

hello and welcome to forums dot something awful dot com

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Number of children in workless households fallen by 300k?

Did they die because they couldnt buy food?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Pissflaps posted:

It's reassuring that he's started to actually consider electability.

Poppygate would have seriously ruined him. Millibrand but destroyed by a sandwich, a poppy would have been devastating.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

serious gaylord posted:

Number of children in workless households fallen by 300k?

Did they die because they couldnt buy food?

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012
Wasn't there meant to be a debate on a vote of no confidence in Jeremy Hunt yesterday?

Did that actually happen?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

Wasn't there meant to be a debate on a vote of no confidence in Jeremy Hunt yesterday?

Did that actually happen?

Kind of

quote:

The original petition on the joint Government and Parliament website called for a vote of no confidence on the Secretary of State for Health. Fortunately for him—or unfortunately, depending on how people want to look at it—the Petitions Committee does not have the power to initiate a vote of no confidence, and so we decided that the debate should be on the issue underlying the petition, which was the contracts and conditions of NHS staff.

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012

drat, that's a shame. Though this does leave me slightly lost as to what the outcomes of these debates are supposed to be, but that's probably due to my lack of knowledge around a lot of the inner workings of parliament.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

drat, that's a shame. Though this does leave me slightly lost as to what the outcomes of these debates are supposed to be, but that's probably due to my lack of knowledge around a lot of the inner workings of parliament.

The debates are meant to be a chance for the government to explain what it's doing anyway and pretend that's an answer. Seriously, the e-petition thing's changed jack all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Please stop. Can someone page in a tory troll to improve the posting quality l for a bit.

If you insist.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Lol. "If he wants to support working people he must destroy all unions".

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

No I don't think owners of air rifles should be shot on sight. I think that people who wield air rifles during standoffs with armed policemen are running a high risk of being shot.

It's like the difference between owning a set of Japanese kitchen knives and holding one to somebody's throat.

raoul moat managed to run around for 6 days with an actual sawn-off without getting shot by the cops

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Yes, but only inasmuch as there is not much in the way of Labour alternatives. I suspect they will do marginally better next election but I don't see them swiping a significant chunk of Labour votes simply because a) it's too soon since their obliteration b) left protest voters can pick green or Labour next election and c) some middle of the road but nationalist types will vote UKIP.

Tim Farron also has the tragic Ed Milliband-style look of the overgrown student politician, which will hardly help!

I'm thinking more of an SDPesque revolt of the centrists, provided Corbyn says something sufficiently silly in the next six months or so

It remains to be seen how Corbyn will handle deference to media relations consultants and special advisors in the long term, although the white poppy retreat is suggestive

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

nuzak posted:

raoul moat managed to run around for 6 days with an actual sawn-off without getting shot by the cops

Well, yes. He was on the run.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

When he started with "Well, folks, the joke’s over." I got excited and thought he was resigning

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

nuzak posted:

Only because he got to himself before they did

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
So, predictions for PMQs. Will Dave engage in reasoned, meaningful debate, or will he double down and call Corbs a smelly, dry dicked fuckwit in front of the nation?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think it's going to be brutal.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think it might be interesting.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Im excited about everyone getting to have a go at david Cameron, although I should say that no one even in whitehall follows pmqs

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Cameron will respond to questions about welfare and food banks by accusing corbyn of hating the troops

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Phoon posted:

Cameron will respond to questions about welfare and food banks by accusing corbyn of hating the troops

Agreed, all of Dave's answers will be framed within the context of the three threats. So will all the conservative questions.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The tories are going to try and give him an extended rogering of such unseen brutality it'll make them nostalgic for the heyday of the Elm Guesthouse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If Corbyn had a gun...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
So in the media today everyone whining about the national anthem and how not singing DISRESPECTS ARE BOYS, and the shadow minister for equality disagreeing in public with Corbyn about the benefits cap, saying the Labour Party supports it in principle. Any hope I had for te Labpur Party is pretty much gone.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

TomViolence posted:

The tories are going to try and give him an extended rogering of such unseen brutality it'll make them nostalgic for the heyday of the Elm Guesthouse.

The Tory MPs I have seen on Twitter are saying they have been told to act with deference and respect. At first. Makes sense, they came out swinging straight away on Saturday and just might have realised thats not the way to go.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's not in the Tory interest to provoke Labour backbenchers into regarding Corbyn as not only radical but incompetent at conducting himself in a debating environment, and letting Corbyn dominate a trade union bill or such is not a loss - it's not like Cameron is going to face revolts from his own party, there's no battle to be had

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Phoon posted:

I don't think he will. He'll leave the dirty work to the media & try to be polite even when it's against his own nature.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

William Hague has come to Corbyn's general defence in terms of foreign policy. Not advocating him for PM but says he respects Corbyn's campaign work.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Pesmerga posted:

So in the media today everyone whining about the national anthem and how not singing DISRESPECTS ARE BOYS, and the shadow minister for equality disagreeing in public with Corbyn about the benefits cap, saying the Labour Party supports it in principle. Any hope I had for te Labpur Party is pretty much gone.

I've said it before, I'm giving it a year or two before making any real judgement. Cumming all over the place immediately after a Corbyn victory was always going to be pointless, and media stuff will die down soon enough once the public lose interest and Prince Harry announces his wedding or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Turns out Jeremy Corbyn doesn't have to press his lips to the still animated corpse of our monarchy after all.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09/15/the-sun-newspaper-corbyn-privy-council_n_8138174.html

A story by the Sun so wrong that the only person they sourced in it told them it was bullshit. I'm sure the Sun feels very bad about what they've done and will be suitably reprimande- pfhahahahaha, sorry, sorry I just can't.

Hey did you know the former deputy editor of the Daily Mail is now editor of The Sun? What a fun year we're in for.

• Locked thread