Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

RareAcumen posted:

What games would anyone even suggest you should 100% anyway?

Those of us with the 'tism love 100%ing games and strive for it where possible. I did it with Just Cause 2, I'm within 5% of Mad Max... Though now that you mention it nobody should do either.

Nier is probably the Best game to 100%, though on the other hand that game really hates the player on a deep personal level if they try, so

VVV
The mouse has an order of magnitude more control and precision than controllers do. Third-person or driving games that don't rely on precise aim (or have REALLY GENEROUS autoaim) work best with a controller, FPS and RTS mouse is a must.

TF2 had cross-platform play in development, but Valve ran some test games and even with huge skill disparity the KB+M destroyed controller users.

On the other hand, every time I have to drive in a game, I wish my WASD keys were analog. Digital makes cars swervy and overcorrecting.

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Because some games play better on controller than keyboard. Keys are binary, where either you press it or you don't. Whereas some controllers have more analog/gradual buttons, triggers, joysticks, etc. Maybe not a majority of games, but it's a notable point that it should be a given among most goons.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Those pizza missions on Spider Man 2 kept me from 100%ing the game. I still cringe whenever I hear Funiculi Funicula.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Because some games play better on controller than keyboard. Keys are binary, where either you press it or you don't. Whereas some controllers have more analog/gradual buttons, triggers, joysticks, etc. Maybe not a majority of games, but it's a notable point that it should be a given among most goons.

It'd be a very small minority compared to the ones that play better with mouse + keyboard

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Personally, I've only met two genres that are actually better with a controller, and those are driving and platformers (and Dark Souls; there's nothing inherently bad about a game like Dark Souls played with a keyboard, but Dark Souls' controller scheme is perfect). Everything else I've played felt either at best neutral, or controllers come out worse. But driving games and platformers are both pretty big, and mouse and keyboard can't match up.

The only genre that I'd honestly say I'd consider using both styles are sandbox games with vehicles. Controllers are better for driving, a mouse is better for aiming, but neither side is awful at the other's strength so they're both solidly usable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

But why should anyone who wants to use KB+M have to "just accept using a controller for PC gaming"? No one's trying to tell anyone not to use a controller, but if you mention you're having trouble with the controls for a console port then it's pretty much 100% guaranteed that someone will tell you you need to buy and use a controller for it and you should just accept that. Why should anyone accept that? If the game says you can control it with a keyboard and mouse then you should be able to.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why is it that 90% of levels made by americans in mario maker feel like they where ripped straight out of Kaizo Mario, just straight up, unfun horseshit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Why is it that 90% of levels made by americans in mario maker feel like they where ripped straight out of Kaizo Mario, just straight up, unfun horseshit.

Making good levels is hard, making hard levels is easy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Those of us with the 'tism love 100%ing games and strive for it where possible. I did it with Just Cause 2,

Isn't that literally impossible due to a bug though?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Because people have been doing romhacks for like two decades at this point and of course they're going to make more romhacks now that there's an official toolkit to use that they can pay money to use.

You didn't expect this after watching the Nintendo World Championship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkzyQJrROtk&t=9650s

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

kazil posted:

It's 2015 and you dorks need to just accept using a controller for PC gaming.

I've never found a game I thought was easier to play with a controller than mouse and keyboard.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Different games work better with different control schemes, and sometimes a game on PC will work better with a controller. I don't know why goons treat this as controversial.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Namarrgon posted:

I've never found a game I thought was easier to play with a controller than mouse and keyboard.

Dark Souls, notoriously.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
For me it depends on the genre. First person shooters, or pretty much anything where you have to aim, the mouse is best. RTS or turn based strategy games are also much better with a mouse and keyboard.

But more action based games I will always plug a controller in. When I finally got GTA V on the PC, it was all controller. I play spelunky a lot and it's far better with a controller. Rocket League is drat near unplayable on mouse and keyboard. Heck, I'd say the majority of the little indie games I have play best with a controller.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Ill consider using a gamepad as my primary input device when they make one that isnt designed like rear end.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Namarrgon posted:

Same. The closest I've come is with Mortal Kombat, and in that case I can't really say one is better than the other - some things are easier with keyboard, others with the controller.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tiggum posted:

But why should anyone who wants to use KB+M have to "just accept using a controller for PC gaming"? No one's trying to tell anyone not to use a controller, but if you mention you're having trouble with the controls for a console port then it's pretty much 100% guaranteed that someone will tell you you need to buy and use a controller for it and you should just accept that. Why should anyone accept that? If the game says you can control it with a keyboard and mouse then you should be able to.

Most big name PC games are console ports. PC users should either accept that their glorious master race might have to use a filthy console users controller or get over the fact that developers don't always have the time/resources/skills to make a perfect port.

There are so many unironic "it's a lovely port!" posts over just the loving keyboard layout.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Namarrgon posted:

Never played dark souls eh?

Almost all 3rd person games are better on controller by far. Driving games too, unless you have an actual wheel.
Keyboard sucks for driving. Pedals should not be binary buttons.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

Ill consider using a gamepad as my primary input device when they make one that isnt designed like rear end.

XBox 360 controllers are top notch, with the exception of the d-pad.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lizard Wizard posted:

XBox 360 controllers are top notch, with the exception of the d-pad.

Truth. If anyone had lovely controllers, it's Nintendo.

Wtf GameCube

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Evilreaver posted:

VVV
The mouse has an order of magnitude more control and precision than controllers do. Third-person or driving games that don't rely on precise aim (or have REALLY GENEROUS autoaim) work best with a controller, FPS and RTS mouse is a must.

In MGSV all of the guns literally have a visible auto-aim stat. I'm primarily a PC gamer, and I won't play this game without a controller. Then again, I also prefer playing X-Com and Bloodbowl 2 with a controller, so whatever.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Geniasis posted:

Truth. If anyone had lovely controllers, it's Nintendo.

Wtf GameCube

You're insane, the Gamecube controller is the best and most comfortable controller ever made.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

me, teenager: "why the gently caress is auto aim always on by default, turn that poo poo off I don't want a game to play itself for me"
me, now: "hell yeah auto aim"

EDIT: I recently tried to get a Gamecube controller to work on the recent PC version of Resident Evil 4 because that game owns bones with the GCN controller. I couldn't get it to work-- camera kept moving around weirdly.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Convex posted:

Isn't that literally impossible due to a bug though?

I counted the 99.5% as a win when I couldn't get that last bit. Finance district :arghfist:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Zaphod42 posted:

Never played dark souls eh?

Almost all 3rd person games are better on controller by far. Driving games too, unless you have an actual wheel.
Keyboard sucks for driving. Pedals should not be binary buttons.

No but i have played the Assassin's Creed games on both, for roughly equal duration. I still vastly prefer mouse and keyboard.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nostradingus posted:

You're insane, the Gamecube controller is the best and most comfortable controller ever made.

It was pretty good, but it had some problems with games that weren't designed for it, like SNES games on the Wii virtual console. Mario, Super Metroid, and many other games have you jump with B and hold Y to run, and that involves you laying your thumb awkwardly across a large space without pressing the big A button in the center.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Sep 16, 2015

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

I counted the 99.5% as a win when I couldn't get that last bit. Finance district :arghfist:

There's a mod that puts the water tower back in. Go back and play it to 100%, then you can say you got 100%.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr Christmas posted:

It was pretty good, but it had some problems with games that weren't designed for it, like SNES games on the Wii virtual console. Mario, Super Metroid, and many other games have you jump with B and hold Y to run, and tha involves you paying your thumb awkwardly across a large space without pressing the big A button in the center.

Also, while analog shoulder buttons were a good idea, the execution kind of sucked. Especially for cross-platform titles that were clearly designed for the PS2's basic shoulder button configuration instead.

And I don't recall the D-pad being all that great, either.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The PS2 had analogue shoulder buttons. Not as much travel on them, but I'm sure they were there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Gamecube controller had some nifty ideas for its time but people often act like its the best ever and they're clearly biased. Several parts of it are really flawed.

The buttons are too clicky, the shoulder buttons are even worse with the slide-click, the c-stick is weird, and it just looks a bit complicated for people who don't play tons of games.

The Dualshock PS2 controller and the Xbone controller are probably my two favorites of all time, with PS4 and 360 being slightly behind. Nice and clean, symmetric, and extremely ergonomic.

Say what you will about Sony and MS, but they hired teams that know ergonomics and they made drat comfy controllers.
(Well, MS had a failed design with the frisbee controller based on the Dreamcast controller on their first pass, but they improved)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish actions in Sims 4 were a shade faster so that I don't feel compelled to run it at 2 or 3 speed.

I paradoxically don't blame the game entirely. If I'm emulating a game, once I remember the speed-up feature, I can't stop using it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Wavebird was the best. But the other controllers were poo poo.

I remember being younger and everyone always wanted the actual Nintendo/Sega/Microsoft controllers over the Mad Catz bullshit.

First party controllers for lyfe.

Dragging down TF2: All the servers immediately get SUPER Full and its a spam fest. Servers should be capped at like 18, and no limit on any class or combination.

And all the fukin' servers have norespawn or some stupid gimmick in it. Babby's want no penalty for dying with instant respawn, and that should be outlawed forever by valve.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Walton Simons posted:

The PS2 had analogue shoulder buttons. Not as much travel on them, but I'm sure they were there.

Hell, the PS2 had analogue face buttons, and they were finicky as poo poo. I'm pretty sure the only game that ever used them was MGS3, for its close-quarters combat. Resulted in a lot of grappled enemies being killed accidentally, that's for sure.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Dr Christmas posted:

It was pretty good, but it had some problems with games that weren't designed for it, like SNES games on the Wii virtual console. Mario, Super Metroid, and many other games have you jump with B and hold Y to run, and that involves you laying your thumb awkwardly across a large space without pressing the big A button in the center.

Sounds like they should allow remapping if they don't.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the topic of Nintendo controller chat,

Resident Evil 4: Wii Version, it just plays so much better with the Wii controller that it feels like a chore to play with any other medium. :sigh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Hell, the PS2 had analogue face buttons, and they were finicky as poo poo. I'm pretty sure the only game that ever used them was MGS3, for its close-quarters combat. Resulted in a lot of grappled enemies being killed accidentally, that's for sure.

Yep, I still remember the original MGS3 wanted you to only lightly press O button to pull out your gun, and then press it down all the way to actually shoot. It was the most finnicky bullshit in the world.

The subsistence update to MGS3 was more important for fixing the controls and the camera more than adding a stupid online mode.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I hated the GameCube shoulder buttons. I sort of thought they had given me arthritis at the age of 21 lol. I ended up getting an adaptor and using a PS1 pad instead. Also, it's noisy as gently caress.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Walton Simons posted:

It goes to show what a difference there is between them, I guess. I knew about the pressure sensitive face buttons (also used by the semi-obscure rhythm game Mad Maestro), but I didn't know that extended to the shoulders too.

Though that reminds me that the Gamecube also lacked symmetrical shoulder buttons, which was also a bit wonky.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Sep 16, 2015

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
MGS V pro: Big Boss is the best metal gear solid character

Con: Turns out Venom Snake isn't Big Boss :(

Somebody has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah just drop that bombshell with no tags or anything