Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

This comes up often enough here and elsewhere that I feel it needs clearing up (again):

All Coppers Are Bastards means that all police officials, regardless of their particular role or if they would ever kick a protester to death in the street, support the status quo. It's their job. If the status quo is poo poo, and run by bastards (it is), then all coppers are by extension bastards until/unless they decide to oppose it, at which point they're no longer coppers but protesters themselves.

It says nothing about how nice any individual officer may be, and it really has gently caress all to do with police brutality. You can't maintain order on behalf of the system and fight the system at the same time, therefore police and revolutionaries (of any degree, not just government-overthrowing types) will always be enemies.

It's the same basic principle as saying ALAB. The initialism is intended to highlight the systemic nature of the problem (in the case of ALAB, that the construction of the landlord profession is inherently exploitative in a way that it's not possible to avoid whilst still being recognisably a landlord), not make a statement about the agreeableness of every individual person in the mentioned category.

Basically by taking a slogan that is directed against a systemic problem and interpreting it to refer solely to the individuals part of that system absent the context of the system, you're missing the entire point. This too is a type of Liberalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Would it be possible to add a UKMT reading list to the OP? There's been a ton of recommendations here lately and I'm trying to make an effort to fit in some reading time before bed.

The ft is pretty good, I wouldn't bother with political theory books over 20 years old though

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

plenty of ppl on here have depression if that counts

Myself included. Go go sadbranes.

Breath Ray posted:

Metro seems lefty if anything

When it chooses to be. Owned by the Mail.

Phoon posted:

Apparently some blairites are thinking of crossing the floor to the tories which should be fun since most blairites have been parachuted into safe labour seats

Pleeeeaaasse let this happen.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Labour MPs still not answering loving questions. I'm probably simple but it would be so much easier to just straight up answer. All of them I have seen on DP so far are just flanneling and letting Jezza down. Even Brillo pad is giving them an easy out, saying ' If you haven't got a solid position yet, just say'

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

John Mann on Daily Politics just claimed that he's getting letters from Labour voters saying they'll never vote for this man.

You'd think they'd have joined as members to vote in the leadership campaign if they thought he was that bad?

Maybe John Mann is a hard right Labour MP who is full of jobbies. Makes u think.

Trickjaw posted:

Labour MPs still not answering loving questions. I'm probably simple but it would be so much easier to just straight up answer. All of them I have seen on DP so far are just flanneling and letting Jezza down. Even Brillo pad is giving them an easy out, saying ' If you haven't got a solid position yet, just say'

In their defence, I don't think they have a loving clue where they stand because there's not actually been the discussion he wants. They know what they want personally, they probably know where Corbyn stands, but I doubt they know where collectively the cabinet stands yet.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 16, 2015

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Trickjaw posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how useless Labour are when it comes to the press.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
PMQs hasn't even started yet and already I hate the house of commons again, shut up kids and let the welsh people talk about wales before the show starts.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I'm nervous!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Me too :(

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

WMain00 posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how useless Labour are when it comes to the press.

Like I said back during the referendum and general election. They are a PR disaster when it comes to involving anything out there sphere of influence.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Myself included. Go go sadbranes.

When it chooses to be. Owned by the Mail.

Pleeeeaaasse let this happen.

This probably sounds simplistic but its been proven that supporting a losing team in football diminishes testosterone... I think the same could be true of ppl who support left wing politics And expose themselves to negative coverage (right wing media). Actually ppl who avoid all news are happiest of all.

Secondly, I think Jeremy could do well with ukip voters if he sticks to brexit line (see Dominic Cummings' brexit blog for benefits)

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Oh Private Eye, I expected better of you:

(apologies for crappy phone snap quality)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i think the PI cartoonists have always been terrible

Wildstrike
Apr 8, 2007

I will gladly pay you my soul Tuesday, for a glut to the longing of my heart's desire today...
The cartoons in PI are always dreadful and often wouldn't be out of place in the Daily Mail.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
Here we go!

Corbyn's at the dispatch box and already slagging off PMQ's.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AWwww yes PMQs off to a good start, Corbyn opens perfectly.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

beautiful start from corbae

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Cameron looked shaken when the non-Tory MPs laughed at him :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Cameron being civil, I think he's going to be leaving the nastiness to the press.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

Cameron being civil, I think he's going to be leaving the nastiness to the press.

I can only hope this is something that continues. PMQ's at the moment feels less like pointless point scoring and more like an actual debate. If this is how it'll be in the future I'm on board.

Either that or Cameron's being civil because the image of him shouting at old man who is being very reasonable makes him look bad.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

search your feelings etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Would it be possible to add a UKMT reading list to the OP? There's been a ton of recommendations here lately and I'm trying to make an effort to fit in some reading time before bed.
This sounds like a reasonable plan. If anyone wants to throw in some suggestions I'll put it above the thread links section.

I think it should be fairly short and contain some oddball or different things too, so that it isn't just a copy/paste of https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/marxism five times over.

I'll throw in Kropotkin's The Conquest of Bread (getting off to a good relevant non-stereotypical start with a 19th century Russian) as a somewhat handwavey but feel-good piece with some choice :iceburn:s against arguments still being made today.

I remember reading a similar modern work that discussed the same themes, along with common land, common law, the Charter of the Forest, and the failures of the Occupy movement in a 21st century British/American context, but I'm damned if I can remember the name.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh there's the jeering.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

drat, Corbyn's knocking it out of the park IMO. Cameron's suddenly getting called out on his lies.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

drat, Corbyn's knocking it out of the park IMO. Cameron's suddenly getting called out on his lies.

yeah but without all the jeering and the yelling you need to actually listen to the words they're saying to know who's correct how can you expect that much effort of people

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Corbyn talking about the Welfare State is some spectacular stuff.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just love how he replies to 'people should work' with 'some people don't have the opportunity'

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

cameron responding with standard talking points

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Guavanaut posted:

This sounds like a reasonable plan. If anyone wants to throw in some suggestions I'll put it above the thread links section.

I think it should be fairly short and contain some oddball or different things too, so that it isn't just a copy/paste of https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/marxism five times over.

I'll throw in Kropotkin's The Conquest of Bread (getting off to a good relevant non-stereotypical start with a 19th century Russian) as a somewhat handwavey but feel-good piece with some choice :iceburn:s against arguments still being made today.

I remember reading a similar modern work that discussed the same themes, along with common land, common law, the Charter of the Forest, and the failures of the Occupy movement in a 21st century British/American context, but I'm damned if I can remember the name.

I'd personally love some recommendations for specifically UK/EU orientated material. The LF reading list was good but I'm really weak on British history and politics compared to Some Posters.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Is there a livestream somewhere?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Cameron is just talking fluff, but it's good-sounding fluff.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

awesome-express posted:

Is there a livestream somewhere?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2015/sep/16/corbyn-faces-shadow-cabinet-split-over-abolishing-benefits-cap-politics-live

Top of the page.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mental and physical health have parity in the health system? Pull the other one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

now on to the important issue of tigers in the Isle of Wight zoo

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
what is this tiger thing

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Lancelot posted:

what is this tiger thing

Tigers and rhinos. Uh ok.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

People not so interested in the Isle of Wight Zoo it seems.

Edit: Jesus Christ does Cameron not realise how stupid he looks talking about Nancy the Rhino.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Northern Ireland is still pottering on in slow burn crisis mood.

Villiers is attempting to start a new round of inter-party talks but the Unionist parties are holding out, demanding a commitment from the government to restart the Independent Monitoring Committee to investigate continuing paramilitary activity.

The full silliness of the DUP's resignation that's not a resignation became apparent a couple of days ago at the height of Corbynmania. Someone pointed out that the under the Executive rules the DUP ministers who resigned either had to replaced with new DUP appointees or the posts would be reassigned to other parties under the D'Hondt method. This would have meant SF and the SDLP getting them and the DUP most definitely does not want that to happen.

So now what they are going to do is renominate their resigned ministers (the deadline is tomorrow I believe), they will retake their ministerial posts - and then they will all immediately resign again. It seems like they plan to keep doing this continually.

It's really stupid

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Party Boat posted:

Mental and physical health have parity in the health system? Pull the other one.

As of this April, theoretically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Lord of the Llamas posted:

People not so interested in the Isle of Wight Zoo it seems.

I'd guess that a lot of Britons would have a lot of difficulty finding Isle of Wight on the map.

• Locked thread