Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, Mindstream has finally released actual information about their aquarium monitor. (Via Kickstarter, of course...)

It looks pretty cool, but $500 for early adopters, and $700 after that, plus $30-50 a month for sensor discs is a little steep. More than I was anticipating, certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's pretty cool how they are using a picture of an oscar for their saltwater gadget, really inspires confidence in the product. I know that reef aquarists are second only to audiophiles in throwing money away, but even so I think $700 is a stupid price.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I mean I could see paying $500 for the device itself but even $30 a month for replacement discs is retarded.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I have no problem with the monthly price considering the time & expense of current titration test kits. Thirty bucks a month to never have to do that bullshit again for all of the parameters I care about? Yes, please, sign me up. (gently caress you, organic chemistry I & II)

Everything else, however, is a huge red flag. Five hundred dollars up front gets you a WiFi-only device which relies on their servers to process your data at predetermined times. RFID tags in the sensor discs means we will never see third-party discs or any sort of competition in that regard. They've had two years since their first release announcement ("to be released next year" circa 2013) and now all of a sudden they go to Kickstarter for 'market research'.

And yeah, wtf with the oscar on all their marketing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I said gently caress it, and tore my tank apart this afternoon. Caught the drat goby at least, and now I can start the six week timer until I can add fish again.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Everything about the mindstream development cycle and the product itself sounds sketchy as hell. Titration sucks but it's established.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Any tips or tricks for adding sand to an existing tank? I've got a sloped sand bed with maybe 3.5" in the back and it tapers down towards the front. I've been battling some kind of algae problem for like a year now and at this point I've pulled out quite a bit of sand even with careful/light vacuuming of the sand bed.

I've got Caribsea Dry Aragonite that I will be rinsing the poo poo out of in RO water. But then I'm guessing any way you cut it, it'll be a pain in the rear end to not stir up a bunch of poo poo. I've been told putting the sand in sandwich bags and cutting them open underwater is the best way.

Second, my acans have been kind of unhappy lately. Everything else in the tank looks normal but the acans aren't plump and healthy looking, more withdrawn and withered. It sucks cause I've got some decent ones and they've just look like crap for a couple months now.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ruby idiot railed posted:

Everything about the mindstream development cycle and the product itself sounds sketchy as hell. Titration sucks but it's established.

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/29/answers-top-10-questions-mindstream/

Even just reading this glorified ad copy is enough to make me retch.

e: and normally reefbuilders could have been thought as relatively coolheaded and reliable, that must've been a dumptruck worth of cash

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 1, 2015

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
"If you saw what we saw at MindStream headquarters, you’d be asking yourself not why is the MindStream so expensive, but why is it so cheap?"

Buy our poo poo!

It really does seem a little too good to be entirely true.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
dang my worm thead got locked for archive purposes, but basically i've been struggling with greenwater for an insane amount of time. Yesterday i was like "gently caress this poo poo i'm so sick of daily water changes even though i put like half a teaspoon of fish food in this son of a bitch" went to the seafood counter and bought 4 of what are supposedly, hopefully(?), eastern oysters.

Put em in a bucket and did a ~20% water change into that same bucket. While the tank was filling back up i built a little basket and got it in the tank. Heard some weird clicking from inside the bucket. They were in there for like 2 hours or something? No real idea. So then i dump the poo poo water and grab one of these guys. I was like "goddamnit it's already dead look how he's leering open like a slut" and while it was in my hand it just slowly clamped down. It was so weird. it moved unnaturally.

Anyway i put these guys in the tank and they seem to be alive, guess i'll find out if they die when the whole tank gets insanely toxic. I have them elevated up so they're easy to get at and won't get bothered by crabs yet. Some of the mollies have been nibilling at the shells and the one gets absolutely pissed as gently caress and slams himself shut whenever a fish comes by.

ps i've literally never been able to get attached pics to work ever idgi. imgur isn't that much of a hassle so i guess i don't really care

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fallow tank for six weeks means go buy more coral right? Drove an hour to the really nice fish store and got some cool stuff.

bubble tip anemone

blue mushroom

neon green leather

star polyps

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Can't repeat enough how careful you need to be with the GSP. That poo poo is a weed straight up. For the last 5 months or so theres been an epic battle going on between the GSP in my tank and a large Stylo colony. The GSP has made some pretty steady gains but the stylo is basically trying to outgrow it. Pretty nuts.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone kept a ruby red dragonet before? Always thought my 40B was too small for dragonets, but live aquaria is saying 30g min on them. My tank is swarming with pods.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone kept a ruby red dragonet before? Always thought my 40B was too small for dragonets, but live aquaria is saying 30g min on them. My tank is swarming with pods.

I had one for a few months before the deep sea monster that lives in my tank disappeared him. I had a regular scooter blenny for well over a year before him, both in a 29g BioCube. Both would take frozen cyclopeeze though, and weren't subsisting entirely on pods.

(Other than two clownfish that are apparently immortal, my tank has been a death sentence for fish, recently. I can't figure out why. :()

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Enos Cabell posted:

What'd you do to get a healthy pod population? Do you have a refugium?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

visuvius posted:

Don't have a dragonet.

:ironicat:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I had one for a few months before the deep sea monster that lives in my tank disappeared him. I had a regular scooter blenny for well over a year before him, both in a 29g BioCube. Both would take frozen cyclopeeze though, and weren't subsisting entirely on pods.

I'm pretty sure the ones I saw yesterday were eating frozen, so I think I should be good to go. Kinda wondering if I should buy a bottle of pods to feed them during QT.

visuvius posted:

I've got a bit of live rock in the sump, but it's pretty clean otherwise. I think they came in with a kenya tree on a decent size chunk of rock that I picked up a few months ago. The guy had a 150g rubbermaid stock tank full of chaeto that was feeding his frag tanks.

They are pretty much covering the back glass and swarming all over the rock now, so hopefully they can keep up with a dragonet.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 2, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm pretty sure the ones I saw yesterday were eating frozen, so I think I should be good to go. Kinda wondering if I should buy a bottle of pods to feed them during QT.

The concern is they may relapse into eating only live.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My restock plan for now is:

1 randall's prawn goby
1 starry blenny
1 purple firefish
1 royal gramma
1 ruby red dragonet (possibly, hopefully)
pair of clowns (dunno what type yet)

Probably going to pick up all but the clowns soon and start them in QT while the tank sits empty.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yay for double posting!

Well, I picked up almost all of my fish the other day and got them into QT. Snagged a pair of blue stripe cinnamon clowns, ruby red dragonet, royal gramma, starry blenny and I already had the prawn goby. Still planning to get a purple firefish, but nobody local had any in stock. Now they get to sit in QT for the next two months!

Crash74
May 11, 2009
So I have a 29 Coraife biocube on order and was wondering if anyone has gotten one that has the new led's? Are they still trash like the old style cfl's?
led's in question:
http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Energy-Savers-Biocube-Light/dp/B00890FCS8
Says it takes up to 4 of theses modules, but reviews have been really mixed saying that you still need to run the cfl's in addition to the led's.

If they are trash i was thinking about getting Orbit Marine Aquarium LED's and ripping out the stock lights.
http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Marine-Aquarium-24-Inch/dp/B00GFTK7CQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?&ie=UTF8

Or any other lighting suggestions for a biocube? I would like to run it with the hood on. Or suggestions in general, its been about 10 years since I have had a tank.

I am going to try this setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWJ2nRCQjxI
+
uv sterilizer
+
protein skimmer
+
2, 240 gph koralia power heads w controler

with live rock / sand and boxed ocean water (petco).

I would like to have a sweet coral setup eventually.

E: Stock led's were garbage, ripped all that junk out and went with the orbit led strip, looks p good. Gonna see how a single strip does, might end up with 2.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 4, 2015

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So adding 3 blue damsels to my 75g tank is probably a bad idea, isn't? I have a 1.5" rectangle trigger and a 2.5" yellow tang. Lately the tang has been boxing the trigger into reef rock and flapping his tail knife at him. The trigger doesn't seem to give a poo poo and goes back to doing trigger stuff as soon as the tang chills out. I figured some dither fish might be a good distraction, but I"m already pushing max with just the current residents aren't I?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Do not get damsels.

If all you've got is the trigger and the yellow tang personally I don't think your overstocked. If you want a couple chill fish consider a pseudocromis, some kind of goby and a cardinal.

Also all I know about triggers is the Niger Trigger I once had really hosed up my poo poo. Got rid of him pronto.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

visuvius posted:

Do not get damsels.

If all you've got is the trigger and the yellow tang personally I don't think your overstocked. If you want a couple chill fish consider a pseudocromis, some kind of goby and a cardinal.

Also all I know about triggers is the Niger Trigger I once had really hosed up my poo poo. Got rid of him pronto.

Why such a strong anti-damsel opinion if you don't mind my asking? The other fish I previously was going to add was a 6 line wrasse. Maybe I'll just go with that they stay small and they are also in the vague "semi-aggressive" category. I heard humus are pretty chill for the most part until they get around 5" long, then they either stay chill or spontaneously murder fish they've been living with for years without incident.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Dantu posted:

Why such a strong anti-damsel opinion if you don't mind my asking? The other fish I previously was going to add was a 6 line wrasse. Maybe I'll just go with that they stay small and they are also in the vague "semi-aggressive" category. I heard humus are pretty chill for the most part until they get around 5" long, then they either stay chill or spontaneously murder fish they've been living with for years without incident.

They are territorial and aggressive dicks.

Personally, I think the only situation in which damsels are okay to keep in a tank is if you have a loving gigantic community fish tank where they can just get lost in the mix. The public library by my old house has a very large, round saltwater tank and that thing has a couple damsels that are massive (for a damsel).

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Damsels are territorial and aggressive. Reports on six line wrasse vary, but they can become very aggressive on reaching sexual maturity.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Castaign posted:

Damsels are territorial and aggressive. Reports on six line wrasse vary, but they can become very aggressive on reaching sexual maturity.

I've had Perculas get aggressive in the past. Pomacentridae is full of assholes.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Update: My 3" percula in my parents tank may have killed the new 1.5" percula I tried adding. I don't know. I put him in the tank and the next morning the new clown was dead. I decided to try one more time, and got a smaller percula, which Nemo (my ex GF named her) immediately went after the tiny little percula baby.

I decided a good solution might be to put the big percula in my trigger tank and live the little guy in my parent's tank. The yellow tang was ambivalent but the trigger was not having it. He immediately started charging the clown. Strangely, the percula went on the offensive and went straight at the trigger. I decided that eventually the trigger would stop loving around and go after her for real, so I ended the rehoming attempt.

After reading about the quirks of percula pairing I put Nemo back in with the other tank with the little clownfish and they immediately began swimming peacefully together.

TL:DR: I don't think my trigger will tolerate any new tankmates at this point and I"m not going to try it. My clowns are happy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Any tips on dealing with cyanobacteria? My tank has been coral only for about a year (plus a little cleanup crew) and been doing great. I added a melanarus wrasse a couple months ago and now I have a pretty ugly cyano problem. I was bad about water changes for a couple months, but since the outbreak I have been doing 20% a week. I also got new bulbs (biocube 29 with power compact) in case that was part of the issue.

PH 8.0, nitrate 0 or close to, phos 0 or close to, and kh 7 dkh. Lights on 9 hrs a day.

I also have a little hair algae issue, so I bought some little hermit crabs. They lasted about 15 minutes with the wrasse.

drat you wrasse.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I had a pretty big cyano problem, and manual removal of what I could get to plus water changes took care of it. Took probably a month or so.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Cyano also flares up with low alkalinity and pH so you could increase dosing gradually to help with manual removal/siphoning during water changes.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
You can also knock out the lights and stop feeding for 2-3 days to drastically reduce the amount of cyano. I was unable to get it to go away completely with this method, but it seems to work for some people on various forums. I went to manual removal (much easier after lights-out period) and water changes to keep phosphates in check to eventually solve it completely.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Thanks for the tips. Just a little annoyed because I feel like my water params don't really check many of the cyano boxes. My ph is on the low side of normal I guess?

Anyways, I will stay on top of it and hope for the best.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
What is the smallest size aquarium that you would recommend keeping a rose bubble tip anemone in? I have a newly cycled 29g aquarium with a couple of clowns and I'd like to get an anemone for them to host in, but I don't want it wandering around the tank and killing any corals I might buy in the future. I plan on upgrading to a larger tank eventually, but for right now, this is all I've got.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I had two rainbow bubbles in a 30g, but anemones don't need a lot of space at all. The key to stopping the wandering is placement. I have had two in my current 90g reef system, and they have stayed put on their rock for two years now. Place them, give them time to move to where they are happy, and then they shouldn't move as long as you don't change the flow or lights too much.

My question for you guys is what heaters do you use? I have had two of those cheap rod heaters superheat and melt on me recently (they were a year old) and I'm in the market for new ones before the cold comes. (180g FOWLR, and 90g coral)

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I had two rainbow bubbles in a 30g, but anemones don't need a lot of space at all. The key to stopping the wandering is placement. I have had two in my current 90g reef system, and they have stayed put on their rock for two years now. Place them, give them time to move to where they are happy, and then they shouldn't move as long as you don't change the flow or lights too much.

My question for you guys is what heaters do you use? I have had two of those cheap rod heaters superheat and melt on me recently (they were a year old) and I'm in the market for new ones before the cold comes. (180g FOWLR, and 90g coral)

Eheim Jager. I think I've got the 300 watt in my 130 gallon and its been working fine plugged into an Apex.

This is the second one I've had. I destroyed my first on by doing something insanely stupid. I was cleaning out my sump so I drained all the water but I forgot to unplug the heater which is large and was laying across the bottom of the sump. The thing was scorching hot, with no water in the sump. I then proceeded to dump fresh water in there and it immediately exploded. loving scary man.

Other than that they're great.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've had two Eheim Jagers. They're awesome. Just dont thermal shock them, or drop them, and they're bulletproof.

MGshotgun
Jan 8, 2008

SweetKarma posted:

What is the smallest size aquarium that you would recommend keeping a rose bubble tip anemone in? I have a newly cycled 29g aquarium with a couple of clowns and I'd like to get an anemone for them to host in, but I don't want it wandering around the tank and killing any corals I might buy in the future. I plan on upgrading to a larger tank eventually, but for right now, this is all I've got.

In my experience a rose bubble tip anemone will do fine in a 29g. You will probably want to ensure the power heads have some foam covers or something just in case the anemone gets too close. At 29g, Powerhead + Anemone = Destroyed Tank.

Once settled it probably wont wonder around too much, but its always a risk. A few of mine tend to wonder around ever 6 months or so for no obvious reason. When they do this I just have to relocate any corals they decide to snuggle up to.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
6 months later...I still have a lovely camera on my phone :(

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Lookin good man. How is the flame angel? Has it nipped at any corals?

• Locked thread