Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

http://www.imore.com/ios-9-review

Great review of iOS 9. Very comprehensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Siri is faster and recognises me better (even when I'm absolutely stuffed up with allergies) but still gives ridiculous answers.

"When are Wales playing next?" gives me a result from 2013 and says it doesn't know when they're playing next (it's in a few weeks)

"How are Cardiff City Football Club doing?" inexplicably gives me the same data from Wales' match in 2013 as above.

I blame Yahoo, the data source, rather than Siri itself but it's still useless if I want to know things like these, which are pretty common requests. It does better with NFL, no surprise.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It seems anyone outside of the US is generally poo poo out of luck when it comes to Sports coverage for that sort of thing. Back when I was on Android, I couldn't even add Republic of Ireland to Google Now to get results.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read the Hey Siri will work even when not connected to power, but the preference for it makes it very clear you need to be plugged in. What gives?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I read the Hey Siri will work even when not connected to power, but the preference for it makes it very clear you need to be plugged in. What gives?

6S/6S+ only.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Siri is faster and recognises me better (even when I'm absolutely stuffed up with allergies) but still gives ridiculous answers.

"When are Wales playing next?" gives me a result from 2013 and says it doesn't know when they're playing next (it's in a few weeks)

"How are Cardiff City Football Club doing?" inexplicably gives me the same data from Wales' match in 2013 as above.

I blame Yahoo, the data source, rather than Siri itself but it's still useless if I want to know things like these, which are pretty common requests. It does better with NFL, no surprise.

Does it improve asking her to call people? Asking Siri to call ATT Customer support or basically anything else has her tell me that ATT isn't on my contact list (no poo poo) while ok google will happily google for their number and dial.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

There's a non-jailbreak hack to activate it on a 6 however!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

uPen posted:

Does it improve asking her to call people? Asking Siri to call ATT Customer support or basically anything else has her tell me that ATT isn't on my contact list (no poo poo) while ok google will happily google for their number and dial.

Call Vodafone
"I don't see Vodafone in your contacts, do you want me to look for them?"
Yes
"Here's a list of places..."

And gives me a list of retail stores near me.

Call Vodafone Customer Services

Brings up the same list of retail stores near me.

So, iffy at best.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

noirstronaut posted:

What's that do to battery life?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

carry on then posted:

What's that do to battery life?

People get in fights about it, I don't use it personally. Some people say it has no affect, some say it has tremendous affect.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I posted the other day about unknown 3Gb of storage being taken. I want to do a clean install of iOS 9. New to the Apple way so I am a little unsure how to go about this.

I did a backup on iTunes just now of my phone. Do I "Check for Updates" and download iOS9 prior to restoring to factoring settings, or if I restore to factory settings after iOS9 drops will it download iOS9 and install iOS9 on its own before restoring to factory?

Then after that step I just restore from my backup, even though it's an iOS 8 backup for my apps and stuff, correct?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

suddenlyissoon posted:

No, it will not be unlocked out of the box and, according to what I faced, Apple will still check your ATT account and charge you an "upgrade fee". The only way around it was to buy the true "unlocked" version which lacks Band 30 from the ATT phone. If you buy the ATT one and you're out of contract you could possibly turn right around and request it to be unlocked through ATT though. More info is here https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820&partner=LinkShare&siteId=je6NUbpObpQ-3uEsGQfAzZFYotr56O0cEQ

Cool thanks

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Any recommendations on 6+ cases that aren't too bulky but are a little bit water resistance? I have my 6S+ coming next week and I'm thinking I should get something that I can pull out in the rain. Just light Seattle rain, not Florida tropical storm poo poo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Is it running iOS 9 now? If so, did you do a clean install with it?

Yeah I had been running the beta on my 6 and used my access to get it running on this 4S. Clean install, no backup. Life could be worse, but everything feels sort of like walking through mud. I just snagged myself a used 5c 32gb for cheap that I'm on my way to activate now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey I'm on the 9.1 public beta. Is there any easy way to go to the normal version of 9 when it hits today? Or would it be restoring a back up and all that?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Getting nothing but "An error occurred downloading iOS 9" but I assume it's because Apple's servers are getting hammered with update requests right now.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

IllegallySober posted:

Getting nothing but "An error occurred downloading iOS 9" but I assume it's because Apple's servers are getting hammered with update requests right now.

Pretty much. Guess I'll be updating after work instead of before. My multitasking! :smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CancerStick posted:

I posted the other day about unknown 3Gb of storage being taken. I want to do a clean install of iOS 9. New to the Apple way so I am a little unsure how to go about this.

I did a backup on iTunes just now of my phone. Do I "Check for Updates" and download iOS9 prior to restoring to factoring settings, or if I restore to factory settings after iOS9 drops will it download iOS9 and install iOS9 on its own before restoring to factory?

Then after that step I just restore from my backup, even though it's an iOS 8 backup for my apps and stuff, correct?
If you're restoring to factory via iTunes, it will check for the current release version and install it, which should be iOS 9 at this point. If you do it on the phone, it will just reset to factory for whatever version you're on.

Yes, an iOS 8 backup will restore to iOS 9, but not the other way. If you're doing it in iTunes, do an encrypted backup and it'll save all your stuff. Also do an iCloud backup just in case.

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey I'm on the 9.1 public beta. Is there any easy way to go to the normal version of 9 when it hits today? Or would it be restoring a back up and all that?
You have to restore via iTunes. Also if your latest backup is the 9.1 Beta, I'm not entirely sure it will let you use your backup in 9.0. Other people might be able to better answer that. If you don't want to go through that, just delete the beta profile and it *should* update to the full 9.1 release whenever it comes out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IllegallySober posted:

I was getting the same, as was my roommate. Updating via iTunes went through just fine, but was 1.84GB instead of 1.0GB for whatever reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The GM on my iPhone 6 got a 43 MB update, so watch out for that if you're on the GM.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

noirstronaut posted:

How can you just post that without elaborating on the hack? What is it

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

The GM on my iPhone 6 got a 43 MB update, so watch out for that if you're on the GM.

Same here.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Nice, the iOS update froze my phone. After I restarted it wants me to connect to iTunes. And here I thought I would never have to install that piece of software on my PC...
Welp, let's do this

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The content blockers are rolling out, Purify looks to have hit the US app store (not :canada:...yet).

BURN DOWN THE WEB. :getin: :unsmigghh:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Michael Scott posted:

How can you just post that without elaborating on the hack? What is it

It's a hack

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

This new keyboard and font is going to take some getting used to. I like the readability of the font but the keyboard is taking me way longer to find the keys on.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

enojy posted:

I was getting the same, as was my roommate. Updating via iTunes went through just fine, but was 1.84GB instead of 1.0GB for whatever reason.

I'm having issues no matter how I try to do it. I didn't have any problems last year when iOS 8 came out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snuffman posted:

The content blockers are rolling out, Purify looks to have hit the US app store (not :canada:...yet).

BURN DOWN THE WEB. :getin: :unsmigghh:

Crystal is out in many regions, including US and Canada.

The Verge only take a minute to load now!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Im not seeing Purify in US App Store.

[edit] I know it's soon to wonder, but on paper at least, is Purify the darling here?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. Update completely ganked up my 6. Update failed and now it's stuck in a restore loop. Probably got to head out to the fruit store, but I'm trying again on a different Mac since I want to rule out that this ancient iMac was the issue, as unlikely as it is.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just DRM and restore ain't no problem

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Just DRM and restore ain't no problem

Sorry, DRM?

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
I'm looking forward to 1Blocker. http://1blocker.com/ It seems to offer the most customization so I can sperge about adding my own filters or whatever.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Martytoof posted:

Sorry, DRM?

lol I meant DFU

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5269891

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh ok I got that going already :)

Downloading new iOS is just balls to the wall slow.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Crystal is out in many regions, including US and Canada.

The Verge only take a minute to load now!

Trying out Crystal so far, cause its free for the launch, and my god...its glorious. None of those stupid bottom-of-the-screen-ads where the "x" is so small you end up accidentally going to the site.

Ad blocking is the true iOS9 game changer.

I wonder if it'll be detrimental, performance wise, to run multiple blockers at once?

I look forward to whiney articles from The Verge about how we're "killing the web" in the next week. You brought this on yourselves. :mad:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I have no sympathy for any websites that bitch about content blockers. Most of them aren't available in stores, but I'm running Crystal right now and it's pretty loving great.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Martytoof posted:

Oh ok I got that going already :)

Downloading new iOS is just balls to the wall slow.

I have the same problem as you. Right now iTunes is downloading iOS 9 and I hope it can restore the phone then. Still almost an hour left to download. The over the air update was so much faster, probably like 10 minutes or so.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Snuffman posted:

Trying out Crystal so far, cause its free for the launch, and my god...its glorious. None of those stupid bottom-of-the-screen-ads where the "x" is so small you end up accidentally going to the site.

Ad blocking is the true iOS9 game changer.

I wonder if it'll be detrimental, performance wise, to run multiple blockers at once?

I look forward to whiney articles from The Verge about how we're "killing the web" in the next week. You brought this on yourselves. :mad:

Yeah that's what I'm using too, its glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
What was the name of that goon made content blocker posted a handful of pages back? I can't find it. It might not even be out yet but it looked slick and I'd like to keep an eye out for it.