Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Someone link thu youtub konami tgs live link again pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Quiet leaving is good. Its very obviously linked to the narrative themes of the game instead of some random gently caress you and gameplay wise theres nothing she did for you that D-Dog can't help you do for yourself while being cuter. You might feel her loss but thats the game being good at what its trying to do! Theres nothing you *need* Quiet for at any point in the game.

If you are legit mad about it then:

1. Lmao
2. It was an effective device

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

BurnBlackJay posted:

Someone link thu youtub konami tgs live link again pls

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/15/watch-people-play-metal-gear-online-at-tgs-2015/

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Pwnstar posted:

Quiet leaving is good. Its very obviously linked to the narrative themes of the game instead of some random gently caress you and gameplay wise theres nothing she did for you that D-Dog can't help you do for yourself while being cuter. You might feel her loss but thats the game being good at what its trying to do! Theres nothing you *need* Quiet for at any point in the game.

If you are legit mad about it then:

1. Lmao
2. It was an effective device

Agreed. I loved using quiet and taking her away certainly threw me for a little spin. Ultimately though, it made me realise I was using her as a crutch and forced me to adapt to a different style of play, which has made me appreciate the game all over again.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Quiet was my wife and I miss her and want her back.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You may not but but there are unarguably people who are. There are quite a few people who cite the death of The Boss as an extremely emotionally strong moment for example. You can argue until you're blue that it isn't deserved but the franchise has a heavy reputation for gameplay/story integration.
The boss was never integrated into basic gameplay though and Quiet is. That's basically all it comes down to really. Losing the Boss never made me go, "drat, can't use her camo." or whatever.

Honestly I thought Quiet leaving was ballsy and liked it but I'm not so into MGSV and Hideo Kojima that I can't see that people will be pissed about it and can understand why. If someone wants to vent or whatever I can understand that. It's subjective as hell and everyone will have a different opinion of it and that's a good thing! MGS has always had those neat and controversial moments especially MGS2's Snake fake-out.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Gorgolflox posted:

Quiet was my wife and I miss her and want her back.

Yes. What Kojima did was a crime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

The boss was never integrated into basic gameplay though and Quiet is. That's basically all it comes down to really. Losing the Boss never made me go, "drat, can't use her camo." or whatever.

The Boss isn't (aside from making you pull the trigger yourself) but a lot of basic elements of Metal Gear are. This is the franchise that introduced itself to a lot of players with things like "look on the back of the CD case." It's pretty infamous for playing with the game medium in weird ways. At its most extreme you get something like Raiden where the entire game had a disinformation campaign before it was released. That pissed a ton of people off too. (Though people have kind of come around to it in recent years I've noticed.)

Red Mundus posted:

I can't see that people will be pissed about it and can understand why..

Oh, I totally understand why people are angry. I just don't necessarily agree it's inherently bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I finished the game and i dont think quiet left. I definitely didn't use a butterfly emblem. Does she leave as a result of one of the repeat missions?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Snak posted:

I finished the game and i dont think quiet left. I definitely didn't use a butterfly emblem. Does she leave as a result of one of the repeat missions?

I think after mission 46? Some people have said earlier though.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Snak posted:

Uh you'd know. There's cutscenes and poo poo for it. You have to be at max friend points with her

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

She only does it if you're maximum buddy rank with her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Did you get to Mission 46: The Truth? You may also need her bond maxed.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

When people complain about "bad writing", I have no idea if they are being ironic or genuinely want to be taken seriously.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Not it isn't because storytelling doesn't exist on only one level. Something can have objectively terrible plotting but still have an emotional impact on you. It is possible for something (and this doesn't just include games) to be simultaneously both good and bad.

The phrase you're looking for is "emotionally exploitative"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The phrase you're looking for is "emotionally exploitative"

No, it really isn't. I don't find something to evoke emotions to be inherently exploitative.

It's possible to be exploitative with emotions but that involves things like taking advantage of real-world tragedy, not by making a video game woman go away.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 16, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh I basically didnt bond with Quiet at all. Our bond is like, 3.

So does this imply you can keep her around just by being abusive? Cause that would be p hosed up.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
A nice alternative to bringing Quiet back after her story arc closes would be to let you capture and convert a female parasite sniper. Make it a side op where the intel team locates another "mutant strain". The game already has you playing fake Big Boss, so why not let us use a fake Quiet? Hell, give the second one skins to make her appear exactly as Quiet. Just don't call her Quiet and don't make her hum dumb poo poo constantly.

It really doesn't bother me that the character gone at the end. But it's weird to have a whole buddy programmed into the game that is inaccessible in the post-game where you just want to dick around and play with all your unlocked toys. I'll end up modding her back in, but the lack of any option to have a sniper buddy in the post-game just feels like another feature cut for time.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

jerkstoresup posted:

It really doesn't bother me that the character gone at the end. But it's weird to have a whole buddy programmed into the game that is inaccessible in the post-game where you just want to dick around and play with all your unlocked toys. I'll end up modding her back in, but the lack of any option to have a sniper buddy in the post-game just feels like another feature cut for time.

That bolded part is what bothered me the most to be honest. I barely used Quiet as it never really fit my playstyle so when I wanted to use her end-game to see what I could dick around with in previous missions it was a bit of a letdown.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Red Mundus posted:

That bolded part is what bothered me the most to be honest. I barely used Quiet as it never really fit my playstyle so when I wanted to use her end-game to see what I could dick around with in previous missions it was a bit of a letdown.

Don't worry people will justify the decision by saying the game was supposed to be purposefully disappointing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

No, it really isn't. I don't find something to evoke emotions to be inherently exploitative.

It's possible to be exploitative with emotions but that involves things like taking advantage of real-world tragedy, not by making a video game woman go away.

It's poorly written and so they rely on the emotional impact you feel afterward to deliver the punch that they could not. It's stupid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's poorly written and so they rely on the emotional impact you feel afterward to deliver the punch that they could not.

Figuring out how to cause that emotional impact is also part of writing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
MY SNIPER WIFE LEFT ME

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
lmao this thread

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Why is it so upsetting? Is it just because the game lets you keep playing instead of kicking you into New Game at the end of it?

Meryl could die in MGS1 in the final act of the game just like Quiet can, but then the game ends. Same deal here, except TPP lets you wrap up other stuff after the credits. If it didn't have side ops and you completed the game after 46 just like the previous games and it brought you back to New Game, I kind of doubt you'd be calling this emotionally exploitative like you are. It's just plot that happens. It seems like the fact that it has relatively meaningless (since you've already completed the game's main missions) impact on gameplay dictates that it is now lovely writing when really it's similar to the denouement the other games have.

Alternatively, would it be as upsetting if they just said "Boss you'll have to use another Diamond Dogs sniper from now on" that functionally replaced her in gameplay? If not, is it actually related to the writing at all?

e: other responses while I was writing this do seem to indicate that the complaints go away with a replacement gameplay token separate from the story aspect so this post is moot

Electromax fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 16, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not upsetting, that's my entire point. They completely failed to do anything except annoy me and Quiet dies for no logical reason and I'm supposed to sit back and be like "hmm, yes, because this fits the theme it's actually good and not stupid.."

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

It's poorly written and so they rely on the emotional impact you feel afterward to deliver the punch that they could not. It's stupid.

It gets even more contrived when you realize that Quiet directly or indirectly could've stopped a lot of poo poo that happened in-game. All she needed was a pen and paper and like, half the plot would've been avoided. Or at the very least get Code Talker to translate.

It's even more hilarious during the torture scene where Code Talker is just sitting in the back of the room staring at her getting electrocuted and acid poured on her. You'd think he would, you know, say something? Guess he's randomly mute like BB is too.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You can only speak for yourself. And it seems most people disagree so congratulations on your opinion aids? I don't know where to go from here? It's fine it's not fine who gives a poo poo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does DD have bouncing ballistics?

No?

Then give me quiet back so I can leer at her in my chopper and finish my slashfic

Dammit they never even kissed

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Snak posted:

Oh I basically didnt bond with Quiet at all. Our bond is like, 3.

So does this imply you can keep her around just by being abusive? Cause that would be p hosed up.

Quiet's arc is about her being torn between wanting revenge on Snake and liking him for sparing her life and working with her. At max bond she's made up her mind on which one it is and her story ends. If you never take her on missions she remains neutral so she doesn't make any of the decisions that lead to her leaving the game.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
#PraiseTheRain

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You can only speak for yourself. And it seems most people disagree so congratulations on your opinion aids?

classy

quiet leaving made narrative sense as did her gameplay unavailability after 45, probably could have been done better but so could most of this game

Afraid of Audio fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 16, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Quiet's arc is about her being torn between wanting revenge on Snake and liking him for sparing her life and working with her. At max bond she's made up her mind on which one it is and her story ends. If you never take her on missions she remains neutral so she doesn't make any of the decisions that lead to her leaving the game.

That doesn't contradict what I said, though? If you like, shoot her every time you take her on a mission, won't she never reach max bond and you can keep her forever?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Snak posted:

That doesn't contradict what I said, though? If you like, shoot her every time you take her on a mission, won't she never reach max bond and you can keep her forever?

Theoretically, yeah. It would be a trade-off because she isn't as useful at lower bond - just like DD, she can provide more actions at higher levels and at lower levels she's less active/directable/impacting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Electromax posted:

Theoretically, yeah. It would be a trade-off because she isn't as useful at lower bond - just like DD, she can provide more actions at higher levels and at lower levels she's less active/directable/impacting.

Yeah it's why I don't use her very much. She's not very useful at low bond. I started almost every mission solo and only called her in when it was clear I wanted to clean out an entire base for some reason. Then I had to dismiss her when I wanted her to stop shooting people. Which lowers her bond.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Quiet doesn't write things down because she doesn't actually want to help the Diamond Dogs, she's caught up in her quest for revenge against Big Boss. The first time you see her she literally tries to kill you, its not some honorable duel amongst soldiers. Big Boss defeats her but spares her life and she doesn't know what to do with that so she's biding her time and holding her secret weapon in reserve. Eventually she starts getting won over by the legend of Big Boss and starts to turn but she's really only made up her mind about being "on your side" when she leaves.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I think it's one of the lines he has during the Tanker chapter when he's mangling all of the ancient proverbs he's trying to give when saving. I haven't watched the whole thing but it should be in here somewhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5-vr1VeNSg

It's not! The lalilolelo are suppressing otacons proverbs

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

Quiet doesn't write things down because she doesn't actually want to help the Diamond Dogs because she's caught up in her quest for revenge against Big Boss. The first time you see her she literally tries to kill you, its not some honorable duel amongst soldiers. Big Boss defeats her but spares her life and she doesn't know what to do with that so she's biding her time and holding her secret weapon in reserve. Eventually she starts getting won over by the legend of Big Boss and starts to turn but she's really only "on your side" when she leaves.

I think that she realizes pretty soon that you're not the real big boss. I think that's part of her fascination with you. She recognizes you from the hospital and knows you're a double, and she's trying to figure out how she feels about that. It would be really hard to give her dialogue about this without giving the twist away to the player.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Do her cutscenes still trigger if you don't have a high bond with her? like wonder if you could have your avatar unlocked at the time, since we don't get to use the avatar in cutscenes out of replays it'd be interesting to know if you could save some cutscenes and use the avatar in them, though it probably just switches to Big Boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Electromax posted:

Why is it so upsetting? Is it just because the game lets you keep playing instead of kicking you into New Game at the end of it?

Meryl could die in MGS1 in the final act of the game just like Quiet can, but then the game ends. Same deal here, except TPP lets you wrap up other stuff after the credits. If it didn't have side ops and you completed the game after 46 just like the previous games and it brought you back to New Game, I kind of doubt you'd be calling this emotionally exploitative like you are. It's just plot that happens. It seems like the fact that it has relatively meaningless (since you've already completed the game's main missions) impact on gameplay dictates that it is now lovely writing when really it's similar to the denouement the other games have.

Alternatively, would it be as upsetting if they just said "Boss you'll have to use another Diamond Dogs sniper from now on" that functionally replaced her in gameplay? If not, is it actually related to the writing at all?

e: other responses while I was writing this do seem to indicate that the complaints go away with a replacement gameplay token separate from the story aspect so this post is moot

It's not the loss of Quiet herself, yeah, it's just the loss of having a sniper buddy at all that makes it dumb.

"So, Boss, we know you like having sniper cover, so we found a sniper on base- they call him the Shotmaker. Just select him from the buddy menu like you did Quiet."

Bam, there you go, with a tie in to boot.

• Locked thread