Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, Oblivion and Oblivion with Guns were pretty lacking in scenic variety but since they took that complaint to heart with Skyrim there was no way they weren't going to for Skyrim with Guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It'd be pretty stupid if they put the time and effort into making all those forested areas in the beginning and never utilize that again ever. It can be a shithole of scrap that is waiting for you to come and pick it up and have some trees.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

CrazyLoon posted:

I might be misremembering, but didn't Todd Howard say in one of the interviews that they really want to follow Skyrim's example, of NOT making all the terrain be uniform and have different regions instead, each with its own theme for a landscape? If so, there's still a solid chance to find that wonderfully green natural post-apoc region in FO4, just as there will be the blasted wind-swept one, the city-themed one and the nuclear FO3-themed one.
I'm sure there will be more than that.

I also remember Todd talking about there being different areas and weather that flows across the map. In particular he mentioned a west/southwest area that was where the bomb hit. I'm assuming this is the area that is shown in the E3 trailer with the hazy orange background and a deathclaw.

I'm hoping that things get greener the further away you are. They should look to The Witcher 3 for inspiration.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Inverness posted:

I'm hoping that things get greener the further away you are. They should look to The Witcher 3 for inspiration.

Witcher 3 is a beautiful game but it has its own issues, where all of the plant life looks like it is on a drip-feed of crack.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Biome changes tend to be really subtle in Bethesda games past Morrowind. Skyrim did it better than Fallout where you had wasteland and ruined city and in the wasteland the only difference you could see around certain areas is that you find more trees than rocks.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Bholder posted:

Biome changes tend to be really subtle in Bethesda games past Morrowind. Skyrim did it better than Fallout where you had wasteland and ruined city and in the wasteland the only difference you could see around certain areas is that you find more trees than rocks.

I was fine with everything in Skyrim biome-wise except the Rift. Why was it always fall?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

JackBadass posted:

I was fine with everything in Skyrim biome-wise except the Rift. Why was it always fall?

Excessive background radiation.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Welp, works for me.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

nice `shop you got there

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fallout Shelter has a 999,999 cap limit, lame

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Azhais posted:

Fallout Shelter has a 999,999 cap limit, lame

send me some caps, richie rich

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Todd Howard's voice soothes me, but that interviewer riles me up.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

New video, perception makes you steal things

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drat was that a giant rear end mole rat or what

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Glad to see the ol grenade in the pocket is still a thing.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I hope that means pickpocketing will be a more supported feature kind of how it was in Skyrim. Really just a simple percentile UI element to help more accurately assess my chances would be great.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It's kind of weird that the game is only a couple months away now and yet the only gameplay we're seen from it is the stuff from the e3 demo over and over again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

graynull posted:

I hope that means pickpocketing will be a more supported feature kind of how it was in Skyrim. Really just a simple percentile UI element to help more accurately assess my chances would be great.

Chance based gameplay elements suck. I don't have an alternative.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Chance based gameplay elements suck. I don't have an alternative.

A pickpocketing minigame, similar to lockpicking?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's the thing about the foliage stuff:

90% of people are so stupid that upon firing up F4, if they see green foliage and poo poo after nature reclaiming what man took, the reaction they will have is 'I don't get it, I thought this was supposed to be a nuclear wasteland :confused: I DON'T LIKE THIS'

Also the FPS/specs stuff.

Back Hack posted:

It's kind of weird that the game is only a couple months away now and yet the only gameplay we're seen from it is the stuff from the e3 demo over and over again.

Meh not really. Probably a better marketing strategy than letting you see all kinds of poo poo so you can build hype and be disappointed later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

steinrokkan posted:

A pickpocketing minigame, similar to lockpicking?

Sounds awful. What would the minigame involve?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

QTEs?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Rinkles posted:

finding the correct password through a puzzle in which selecting a password will tell you how many of the characters out of n characters are correct, and clicking on bracketed sections provides you with bonuses.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Any info on what the specs are going to be? I want to know if I should start shopping for a new video card or not.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

sout posted:

finding the correct password through a puzzle in which selecting a password will tell you how many of the characters out of n characters are correct, and clicking on bracketed sections provides you with bonuses.

God no anything but this.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Geoff Zahn posted:

Any info on what the specs are going to be? I want to know if I should start shopping for a new video card or not.

Buy one in Nov if you're gonna buy one, I *think* nVidia is releasing a hardware update (smaller transistors or some poo poo I can't quite remember) so all the current 9xx and whatevers should drop in price.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Moridin920 posted:

Here's the thing about the foliage stuff:

90% of people are so stupid that upon firing up F4, if they see green foliage and poo poo after nature reclaiming what man took, the reaction they will have is 'I don't get it, I thought this was supposed to be a nuclear wasteland :confused: I DON'T LIKE THIS'

Also the FPS/specs stuff.

Meh not really. Probably a better marketing strategy than letting you see all kinds of poo poo so you can build hype and be disappointed later.

They'll also not like the fact that not everything can be hosed and just mod it anyway. Just because NMA will hate it means Beth will avoid putting it in. If you want your same boring deserted ruins, just mod that poo poo in.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Back Hack posted:

That's how they've always done it. Skyrim and Oblivion had that one gameplay demo and that was it. I can't even remember what the demo for Fallout 3 and New Vega were.

People were talking about how it makes no sense that Fallout still looks like it's right after the bombs dropped but it's 200 years later, after I heard that Fallout is inspired by Mad Max it all makes sense. As far as we know, it's the same Max in all the movies. He was a cop before the nukes came down, yet just a few years later the entire planet is a desert and all of the buildings have completely vanished. People that should have been kids when he was a cop somehow don't remember anything before the nukes, and even people older than him somehow don't remember it either. I don't think Max remembers any of it either.

In Fallout it's the opposite, it's 200 years later and everybody acts like the bombs just dropped. There actually are people that were around before they dropped, and everything looks more like it was abandoned rather than had nuked dropped on them.

Edit:

icantfindaname posted:

also, is this game literally still on the fallout 3 engine? ahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahah
No, it's the Creation engine. If you think the Creation engine is just Gamebryo with a different name then there's no hope for you. Do you think GoldSrc was just another name for the Quake engine? Do you think the IW engine was just another name for the Quake engine? Of course not, so why do you keep trying to claim the Creation engine is just another name for the Gamebryo engine? If we assume Skyrim started development in 2009, then they have about 7 years worth of changes that are not part of Gamebryo by now.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 16, 2015

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I don't think New Vegas even got a gameplay demo, just a montage trailer. Everyone knew it was going to play nearly identical to 3.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Irrerrerrerregardless of how good the animations in the actual game will be, I'm enjoying the work put into those SPECIAL promos. I wonder if those were done in-house.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Yaos posted:

That's how they've always done it. Skyrim and Oblivion had that one gameplay demo and that was it. I can't even remember what the demo for Fallout 3 and New Vega were.

People were talking about how it makes no sense that Fallout still looks like it's right after the bombs dropped but it's 200 years later, after I heard that Fallout is inspired by Mad Max it all makes sense. As far as we know, it's the same Max in all the movies. He was a cop before the nukes came down, yet just a few years later the entire planet is a desert and all of the buildings have completely vanished. People that should have been kids when he was a cop somehow don't remember anything before the nukes, and even people older than him somehow don't remember it either. I don't think Max remembers any of it either.

In Fallout it's the opposite, it's 200 years later and everybody acts like the bombs just dropped. There actually are people that were around before they dropped, and everything looks more like it was abandoned rather than had nuked dropped on them.

Mad Max's universe is intentionally vague though, they don't mention specifics, and up until Fury Road it wasn't explicitly stated that nukes had anything to do with it. The movies themselves can't all be joined up in any chronological line even because they are all over the place and they are better for it. They also don't mention anything about other nations or countries either, so we don't know what Europe or China or Africa or the Americas are doing in the Mad Max universe.

Fallout by contrast has taken up it's original look in the original games as a part of it's identity. I really don't think it's a conscious choice anyone is making, it's just has to look Fallout, which means sand, dead trees, Nuka-Cola and wowee-zowee ray guns. It's also Bethesda so it's easy to just assume they are incapable of taking the look of Fallout anywhere new.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cones of perception, like in Phantom Pain, would be a good way to have stats tied to stealing. Have the engine make an aggregate score of your PER - target.PER, use that to give them a cone of perception around their model, which the player has to triangulate. Higher aggregate score gives a more favorable shape (like more empty space where you're 100% undetected), higher scores also reduce the amount of time before an alert is triggered, negative scores make it extremely likely that they'll find you.

That would make more sense in agility, however. That's all a pipe dream, obviously. Bethesda has already decided on what they're going to do.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

They'll also not like the fact that not everything can be hosed and just mod it anyway. Just because NMA will hate it means Beth will avoid putting it in. If you want your same boring deserted ruins, just mod that poo poo in.

I mean don't get me wrong I'd love to see nature reclaiming poo poo and having green lichen pulling down concrete structures and stuff but you know most people are just not gonna be able to parse that with 'nuclear wasteland,' 200 years later or no and at the end of the day this is a product put out by a business and they want it to appeal to as wide of an audience as reasonably possible. It just so happens most of the audience expects that 'Fallout-y' stuff (remember most of them also haven't played F1 or F2).

Malpais Legate posted:

I don't think New Vegas even got a gameplay demo, just a montage trailer. Everyone knew it was going to play nearly identical to 3.

I didn't even know NV was out until my gf asked me if I had played it yet 2 weeks after release. That's honestly the best way to experience a new game. Watching footage and stuff just makes you expect things which leads to disappointment.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 16, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

I mean don't get me wrong I'd love to see nature reclaiming poo poo and having green lichen pulling down concrete structures and stuff but you know most people are just not gonna be able to parse that with 'nuclear wasteland,' 200 years later or no.

I mean, The Last of Us does that whole aesthetic for its post-apocalypse, and it's one of the best selling PS4 games of all time. STALKER is less popular and does the same thing. Fallout isn't the same genre exactly, but there are family similarities between all three.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lazy_Liberal posted:

send me some caps, richie rich

Not sure what series of events have sparked this, but I'm starting to get attacked by bigger groups now. Just got attacked by a group of 4 raiders instead of the usual 3.

Eagerly awaiting packs of 6 deathclaws.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It may be hyperbole, but sometimes it feels like Duke Nukem Forever levels of "it's going to be amazing guys!" in here.

Always. Bet. On. Duke. Always bet on Duke. Learn it, love it. Say groovy a lot. Plan to chew bubblegum, even if you're all out of gum.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Not true. The Dragons Age 2 thread of all places became an enforced hugbox, to name an example.

I wasn't here for the thread but it was a good and underrated game in my book. It has lots of entertaining dialogue while you wander around and hit people, that's what I needed when it hit.

(These posts are a couple weeks old, I was playing MGSV folks. This is a retro throwback, like the Fallout mascot guy)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 16, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

KakerMix posted:

Mad Max's universe is intentionally vague though, they don't mention specifics, and up until Fury Road it wasn't explicitly stated that nukes had anything to do with it. The movies themselves can't all be joined up in any chronological line even because they are all over the place and they are better for it. They also don't mention anything about other nations or countries either, so we don't know what Europe or China or Africa or the Americas are doing in the Mad Max universe.

Fallout by contrast has taken up it's original look in the original games as a part of it's identity. I really don't think it's a conscious choice anyone is making, it's just has to look Fallout, which means sand, dead trees, Nuka-Cola and wowee-zowee ray guns. It's also Bethesda so it's easy to just assume they are incapable of taking the look of Fallout anywhere new.

Nope, they can be joined up in a chronological line. http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_events

quote:

George Miller revealed in an interview from 1984 that the events of the first two movies took place some odd 15 years from then. This would place the first two movies in the mid to late 90's. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome takes place 15-18 years after which puts it in 2014 - 2018.

It's incredibly tiring that people keep claiming that Bethesda is lazy and can't do anything different, even though every game is different.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

When Neil Armstrong was interviewed after returning from the moon, he reflected on the fact that--up until the moment they physically set foot on its surface--nobody knew virtually anything about the moon. He recalled heated arguments at NASA HQ regarding every minutiae of Luna: What the moon was actually made of. If the moon made its own light. Whether or not the Soviets (or the Chinese) were already on the moon. If you could breathe on the moon. "What" the moon actually "was". Scientists and technicians would pore over grainy photos taken from observatories and jerky 8 mm films from planes that had tried to get a "closer look" at Earth's little sister. "Here," a geologist would point at a black speck on a photograph. "This is a lake. A lake on the moon." A Darwin-medal Biologist maintains that the porousness of the moon's surface means that it is comprised primarily of a biological "sponge-like" material. Generals squint after repeated viewings of film until secrets are ferreted out of their frames. "The military wanted to send us up there with a hand grenade," Armstrong reflected. "They said that the 'unnatural jaundice' of the moon could only mean that the Chinese had already begun to colonize it. For a while, people started hating the moon--they didn't trust it. Not if Chairman Mao was already building a palace on it."

A-freakin-men, Neil. Inspiring words.

sector_corrector posted:

John "Punished" Fallout.

Punished "John" Fallout.

Eonwe posted:

if you dont get how samus is a strong character period, even from the games that are light on the story then lol

The masculine robot I piloted in the NES game? Or at least I assume the robot was masculine.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
As some one who's been playing the games in this series since 1997 I can assure you that (what we've seen of) Fallout 4 looks nothing like the first 2. And as a huge fan of the first 2 I'm glad Bethesda is sticking to the same narrative.

Also maybe the Bethesda devs haven't gone through and rewritten everything because, I donno, they actually like what the Black Isle team had created and wanted to work with that?

Putting their games on the East Coast has allowed them to change up a few things and tell the story their way. But why would you waste money buying an established IP if you wanted to go back and just change everything anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rincewind posted:

this is one of the worst threads on all of something awful dot com somehow
There are so many posts like this, and I honestly don't see it. I make a point to read every post in this thread, even when I get a backlog for a couple weeks. Bask in the sea of ideas, it's just so drat rich and full of life, precious life! This thread is beautiful, best on the forum by far, and I'm not kidding.

It's raw, like sushi, but also delicious and nutritious, like sushi.

• Locked thread