Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Cleretic posted:

And one last thing: The game provides the best way to ruin dramatic cutscenes I've ever seen. (No real spoilers in the image behind the link, although it is from a late scene)

There was another slightly earlier on, where you're being driven in a car on a later mission and Skullface is doing his monologue about language, I made Snake stick his Cure cassette on and he sat there trying to look like he was trying to pay attention. I didn't see if you can put the speakers on though, which I might try on a replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like it when Quiet's on the move and suddenly just blasts past you at crazyspeed. First couple of times I didn't know what was going on and thought I was being attacked. And then there was the time I accidentally ran her over in a jeep. Oh, and when she's on the move and some poor guy gets in the way and just gets loving flattened.

Also if Quiet's on cover fire with the tranq rifle. You kick a sleeping dude, he wakes up, she blasts him down again. You kick him again, and she shoots him again. Over and over again. And then you tell her to switch to lethal and kick him one last time. Metal Gear makes me into a complete rear end in a top hat.

Also I was really busting heads in a ridiculous gunfight and one of the enemy soldiers shouted "this is bullshit" and that made me laugh. They say some funny things.

And the Rocket Fist. It's not just a stupid gimmick weapon, it's actually really useful. I keep forgetting that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McDragon posted:

I like it when Quiet's on the move and suddenly just blasts past you at crazyspeed. First couple of times I didn't know what was going on and thought I was being attacked. And then there was the time I accidentally ran her over in a jeep. Oh, and when she's on the move and some poor guy gets in the way and just gets loving flattened.

Also if Quiet's on cover fire with the tranq rifle. You kick a sleeping dude, he wakes up, she blasts him down again. You kick him again, and she shoots him again. Over and over again. And then you tell her to switch to lethal and kick him one last time. Metal Gear makes me into a complete rear end in a top hat.

Also I was really busting heads in a ridiculous gunfight and one of the enemy soldiers shouted "this is bullshit" and that made me laugh. They say some funny things.

And the Rocket Fist. It's not just a stupid gimmick weapon, it's actually really useful. I keep forgetting that.

The best part about the Rocket Fist is that it comes in both Stun and Explosive Death flavours :allears:. The first time I brought Quiet along on a mission I hopped in my gold-plated Jeep and wondered why she wasn't getting in the passenger seat (D-Dog jumps in at the same time you do when he's along for a road trip), only to watch her go leaping off at mach speed and go "Oh, well, okay then :stare:"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

If you mortally wound someone in stealth, the first guy to notice runs up to help and tries to calm the poor guy down (it's fine, you're going to be fine!). When the victim eventually bleeds out, he stops to curse fate for a moment before calling in the casualty. :(

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
What if you throw them a ration so they can heal?

I assume chowing down on a corporate sponsored granola bar is still the way you recover from bullet wounds.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Male Man posted:

I assume chowing down on a corporate sponsored granola bar is still the way you recover from bullet wounds.

I have bad news for you

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In MGS5 there are some side missions where you find your troops from the previous game who are wandering around. Now if you try to cqc/tranq them it quickly becomes a benny hill chase scene. But if you just equip a box they know, they just know :3:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

In MGS5 there are some side missions where you find your troops from the previous game who are wandering around. Now if you try to cqc/tranq them it quickly becomes a benny hill chase scene. But if you just equip a box they know, they just know :3:

There's even another way play one of the two versions of Love Deterrence on your iDroid external speaker. The old MB staff loving loved Paz.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

The tranquilizer rifle will work with a shot to the head just fine. Or you can send DD in to stun them with his doggy stun stick.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Speaking of DD, after reading a First Aid Manual he can Fulton things now. I tranquilized a bunch of goats and he sent them on their way. :3: And a couple of baddies. I have no idea how he attaches the balloons.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

McDragon posted:

Speaking of DD, after reading a First Aid Manual he can Fulton things now. I tranquilized a bunch of goats and he sent them on their way. :3: And a couple of baddies. I have no idea how he attaches the balloons.

Obviously they kept the balloon particle generators from Peace Walker. I loved those things. Do the Fulton Mines and Fulton gas rockets make a return?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

Obviously they kept the balloon particle generators from Peace Walker. I loved those things. Do the Fulton Mines and Fulton gas rockets make a return?

The walker you get EVENTUALLY gets a launcher.

Anyone know if nuke development negatively affects relationships with allies? I just earned the Outer Heaven logo and suddenly I dream of greatness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you actually use it on something I've heard you get a huge hit to your hero score.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sad lions posted:

The walker you get EVENTUALLY gets a launcher.

Anyone know if nuke development negatively affects relationships with allies? I just earned the Outer Heaven logo and suddenly I dream of greatness.

The nuke gives you minus 50,000 heroism points and puts you at the demon snake point which gives you a cosmetic effect which affects stealth, other than that, no it doesn't affect anything with allies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McDragon posted:

Where is that manual? Also do they need to be stunned/asleep or can DD just leap on their chest and forcibly plant a Fulton Balloon?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
After reading this thread for the last few weeks and replaying some ground zeros, I broke down and picked up PP.

I'm three hours in and it's everything everyone has said and more.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, to break up the MGSV-fest; in Undertale you have two characters who will make you NOT despise Comic Sans and Papyrus fonts.

Also, the music is pretty great. And by pretty great I mean outstandingly so.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

McDragon posted:

Oh god wait how do you get this?? Balloon dog buddy :3

(oh man the way he dangles when you fulton him as a puppy is the finest thing I have ever seen in a game)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn't Undertale have goon ties? (I did notice that Everdraed did the trailer.) I downloaded it via a banner ad here ages ago--I guess it was just a demo; I didn't get too far into it at the time--and was pleasantly surprised yesterday to be hearing all these good things about it now that it's on Steam. Sounds like a good time to play it again.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Doesn't Undertale have goon ties? (I did notice that Everdraed did the trailer.) I downloaded it via a banner ad here ages ago--I guess it was just a demo; I didn't get too far into it at the time--and was pleasantly surprised yesterday to be hearing all these good things about it now that it's on Steam. Sounds like a good time to play it again.

If you liked the demo, you'd love the full game. One playthrough will take you just a few hours, but it's got replayability in the form of different things to see depending on how violent you want to be. And even just one playthrough is worth buying it, it's a really goddamn good game.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Hell of an oversight in guard AI I just noticed in MGS5:
When in a tank and passing by an enemy, so long as you don't attack they will just keep 'investigating the signs of the enemy' when they hear you pass not 10 meters from their faces, and yet totally ignore the huge cannon training on their stupid asses.
They will still dive out of your way... only to keep ignoring you for their investigation.

Also I just recruited Hungry Hippo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Flint_Paper posted:

Oh god wait how do you get this?? Balloon dog buddy :3

(oh man the way he dangles when you fulton him as a puppy is the finest thing I have ever seen in a game)

Mission 23 has the First Aid blueprint

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sad lions posted:

Hell of an oversight in guard AI I just noticed in MGS5:
When in a tank and passing by an enemy, so long as you don't attack they will just keep 'investigating the signs of the enemy' when they hear you pass not 10 meters from their faces, and yet totally ignore the huge cannon training on their stupid asses.
They will still dive out of your way... only to keep ignoring you for their investigation.

Also I just recruited Hungry Hippo.

That's not an oversight. There's a tooltip saying that if an enemy can't see you in one of their vehicles they just assume you're on their side, unless you drive erratically.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this? posted:

That's not an oversight. There's a tooltip saying that if an enemy can't see you in one of their vehicles they just assume you're on their side, unless you drive erratically.

Even when it's painted metallic gold and blaring "Friday, I'm in Love"?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, it's Mission 23 for Dog Balloons. I think. The White Mamba one. Something I find helpful is on the mission list it'll tell you about all the new skills and blueprints you can find in each mission. I don't think it tells you every single interesting skill though. Also after your first clear of a mission it'll just tell you all the bonus objectives. I like that.

Also I love the name generator thing. Had to lock down a couple of people who aren't the best just because of their names. Blazing Roach made me laugh, but my favourite is just Parrot. Oh, and anything with Eel or Slug doing something Eels or Slugs aren't known for, those are all great.

McDragon has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Sep 17, 2015

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

McDragon posted:

Blazing Roach made me laugh, but my favourite is just Parrot. Oh, and anything with Eel or Slug doing something Eels or Slugs aren't known for, those are all great.

I recruited Smoking Hippo the other day.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kojima loves Bowie so much that in the character creator you have to pick each eye color individually. Heterochromia iridum is the default.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Built some FOBs. Now I'm understaffed by about 200. Commence Snake and Quiets World Kidnapping Tour '84. Its a nice break. I genuinely like playing Merc Base Sim 15

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even when it's painted metallic gold and blaring "Friday, I'm in Love"?

Blinding the enemy by sight and sound, tactically brilliant!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mother Base should have taught you that soldiers will let virtually anything their superiors do pass without a second thought.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

haveblue posted:

Mother Base should have taught you that soldiers will let virtually anything their superiors do pass without a second thought.

Chuck magazines at unsuspecting soldiers' heads. :ssh:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I love that during the fight with the sniper you can knock her out with supply drops. That's not the best part though - the best part is that she's smart and aware enough to dodge out of the way when you do it. You need to be within her line of sight as the package approaches so she's aiming down the scope and can't see it coming.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Oh, it totally is. It was one of my tanks by then and they freaked out because they could hear but not see me. They were all searching for me and ignoring the giant tank that started their search in the first place.

Tried the same tank in Afghanistan and Africa and got the same effect. They don't think it's theirs, it's just the metal elephant in the room.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Ryoshi posted:

I love that during the fight with the sniper you can knock her out with supply drops. That's not the best part though - the best part is that she's smart and aware enough to dodge out of the way when you do it. You need to be within her line of sight as the package approaches so she's aiming down the scope and can't see it coming.

It's also one of the bonus mission objectives.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chard posted:

Kojima loves Bowie so much that in the character creator you have to pick each eye color individually. Heterochromia iridum is the default.
Bowie's eyes are both blue. One pupil is permanently dilated after a serious eye injury. :eng101:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Bowie's eyes are both blue. One pupil is permanently dilated after a serious eye injury. :eng101:

Well if I didn't know that then I'm going to assume Mister Kojima made the same mistake. Anyway, that point aside it's a totally bad-rear end touch that I hope more character creators steal.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I haven't bothered with any FOB stuff past the initial mandatory setup, is it worth it or do invasions keep interrupting you?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've been upgrading my FOB nonstop since I set it up about a week ago and haven't gotten a single invasion. I keep my security at highest readiness at all times and don't interact with any of the invasion stuff, so that probably keeps me real low on whatever lists get populated for invasion targets. I don't really know how invasions work.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I've been upgrading my FOB nonstop since I set it up about a week ago and haven't gotten a single invasion. I keep my security at highest readiness at all times and don't interact with any of the invasion stuff, so that probably keeps me real low on whatever lists get populated for invasion targets. I don't really know how invasions work.
I had to invade a couple of FOBs before I started to get invaded myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So the new Shovel Knight expansion came out today and it includes a new boss fight:

Shovel Knight, who has all his abilities from when you play as him. When you defeat him... he wakes up, collects his dropped gold and then hits you and wins the stage. :allears: