Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I wish Tanks had a charge attack like they do in WoW.

At the very least it'd make playing one in Frontlines feel less futile.

Like plunge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

I wish Tanks had a charge attack like they do in WoW.

At the very least it'd make playing one in Frontlines feel less futile.

Dr Pepper posted:

Dark Knight.

Plunge! :black101:

:black101:

edit:
vvvvv - go to whoever gave you your level 50 job quest and talk to that guy/girl

brokenknee fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 16, 2015

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Where/how do I get the post-50 abilities for MNK? Well, any job for that matter...

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Anderron Shi posted:

Where/how do I get the post-50 abilities for MNK? Well, any job for that matter...

Your job trainer will have a breadcrumb quest leading you to a different location for the 50+ quests. Presuming you own Heavensward at least.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

nuru posted:

Your job trainer will have a breadcrumb quest leading you to a different location for the 50+ quests. Presuming you own Heavensward at least.

I do. Well you can't even level past 50 if you don't have HW, right? I went to the PGL guild and I didn't see an exclamation mark...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah if you haven't bought Heavensward the quests don't show up.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Anderron Shi posted:

I do. Well you can't even level past 50 if you don't have HW, right? I went to the PGL guild and I didn't see an exclamation mark...

You're a Monk, not a pugilist. Go back to the Goldsmith's Guild where you've been getting all the other monk quests.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anderron Shi posted:

Is that where the Monk trainer was? I know the questgiver for BLM is in a totally different spot then the THM trainer so I don't know how it works for everyone else.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Whizbang posted:

You're a Monk, not a pugilist. Go back to the Goldsmith's Guild where you've been getting all the other monk quests.

an exception to this being blm - you go back to what's his name near the weavers guild rather than the amal'jaa in the cave near drybone, despite the fact that the latter gives out the job quests for the tail end of blm

Oxyclean posted:

Is that where the Monk trainer was? I know the questgiver for BLM is in a totally different spot then the THM trainer so I don't know how it works for everyone else.

that's how it is for every class

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Ok. Took a break of longer than a year so I couldn't remember. Thanks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'm playing as a pugilist tonight :haw:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Like plunge?

It's not the same. Charge is better. And the cool down is way to long.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As a SMN, is it worth it to get ARC up to level 34 for quelling strikes?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm now on the book portion of the relic grind-how do I get the levequest I need if they're not being offered. Do I just start grinding at that location until they appear?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I don't have any issue holding aggro in savage and our SMN doesn't use it but it's probably not a bad idea to passively level ARC to get it eventually.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

seiferguy posted:

Yes. Summoners don't have the burst of other ranged classes, but you can absolutely rip hate especially if it's an aoe situation and you have a pld.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'm playing as a pugilist tonight :haw:

Be warned, monk is fun as hell and you might decide it's better than dragoon. At the very least you'll have all the best CC skills ahead of time.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm now on the book portion of the relic grind-how do I get the levequest I need if they're not being offered. Do I just start grinding at that location until they appear?

Yes, but make sure you're getting the right kind of leve. Many of the leves for the books are Grand Company leves, which come from the GC guy standing in the same town as the regular levemete.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes. Summoners don't have the burst of other ranged classes, but you can absolutely rip hate especially if it's an aoe situation and you have a pld.

Heh. Everytime I run EXDR as a PLD and have a SMN in there, they usually end up ripping hate in trash mob situations, unless I spam flash like crazy. I'll work on that eventually.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Truga posted:

Ravana is the most obvious character song, it's in 1st person and it's even synced to the fight. "red bloometh the rose of" *roses spawn*

The worst part of that is the orbs are purple when the lyrics just loving said what color they bloometh.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The red blooming roses are your wounds :gibs:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Niton posted:

Yes, but make sure you're getting the right kind of leve. Many of the leves for the books are Grand Company leves, which come from the GC guy standing in the same town as the regular levemete.

Is there a way to tell what type of leve it is from the book?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sentient Data posted:

The red blooming roses are your wounds :gibs:

:aaa:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SirPhoebos posted:

It will either say "complete the levequest x" or "complete the grand company levequest x"

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

nope. if you want to do it organically, you'd have to do one leve from the main set and one from each grand company to make sure you've seen what all the options are or where they are.

if you want to do it the sane, logical way, put the leve's name in google and let gamerescape tell you who you get the leve from

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Mr. Nice! posted:

It will either say "complete the levequest x" or "complete the grand company levequest x"

I don't think it always said this, but it definitely does now. Just make sure you read carefully, and you should be fine.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thanks.

On another topic, I'm trying to understand how Wildfire works? Is the damage it causes at the end of 15 seconds a bonus, or does it defer some of the damage you cause to the end of the 15 second time frame?

And if it's the latter, then what is the point of using it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sarrisan posted:

Be warned, monk is fun as hell and you might decide it's better than dragoon. At the very least you'll have all the best CC skills ahead of time.

I'm about 90% sure that I'm going to try leveling every class to 50 (at least) so I'm ok with that!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

wildfire does damage equal to 25% of the damage you have dealt during the time the debuff was on the target when it expires

if you do 10,000 damage wildfire will do 2,500 damage. i don't know why you're thinking it absorbs damage and then deals it at the end.

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 16, 2015

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Thanks.

On another topic, I'm trying to understand how Wildfire works? Is the damage it causes at the end of 15 seconds a bonus, or does it defer some of the damage you cause to the end of the 15 second time frame?

And if it's the latter, then what is the point of using it?

It's a bonus. That's why you want all your cooldowns going when you Wildfire, for maximum effect.

Machinist is about bursts and lulls, not steady DPS.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Machinist is about being really excited when you see Split Shot and Slug Shot both naturally proc into a Clean Shot without needing ammo.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

sword_man.gif posted:

wildfire does damage equal to 25% of the damage you have dealt during the time the debuff was on the target when it expires

if you do 10,000 damage wildfire will do 2,500 damage. i don't know why you're thinking it absorbs damage and then deals it at the end.

It was the way the tooltip was worded made it sound like damage I normally did was being deferred.

But if that's not the case then its a moot point.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Machinist is about having the swankiest outfits (that aren't exclusive to DoH) without needing to lug around a big ugly bow.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Is there actually any difference between wildfire and a flat % damage increase like blood for blood or raging strikes, besides the fact that wildfire gets screwed over if the boss goes invulnerable before it ticks?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mymla posted:

Is there actually any difference between wildfire and a flat % damage increase like blood for blood or raging strikes, besides the fact that wildfire gets screwed over if the boss goes invulnerable before it ticks?

As technically a DoT effect, I think Wildfire might get through boss invulnerability, actually. Other DoTs do.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
wildfire only goes off if the invulnerability is an evasion thing like the last boss of neverreap

if it doesnt take damage from dots it doesnt take damage from wildfire

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Machinist is about having the swankiest outfits (that aren't exclusive to DoH) without needing to lug around a big ugly bow.

Wow, rude. The Yoichi Bow Zeta is beautiful. :colbert:

The best part of the Aoidos Esoterics set for Bards is that, even though the turban is pretty cool too, its colors match Amon's Hat perfectly which means I am the most fabulous of Bards. I keep getting compliments on my magnificent hat in EX roulettes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Someone on reddit posted this. Although cool it would be a bad idea because it would be hard to balance. However what keeps FFXIV from doing 2 piece and 4 piece set bonuses? WoW does it ok and it makes gear more interesting. Right now gear is kind of boring in FFXIV compared to other mmo's.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I really do miss set bonuses. They don't even need to be all that fancy. Stuff like Barrage working for two attacks or Full Thrust having 10% more crit would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Holyshoot posted:

However what keeps FFXIV from doing 2 piece and 4 piece set bonuses?

Nothing on the technical side since GC gear has set bonuses (and even item-spells that affect stats of certain gear, whatever that gc boost thing is called), they just didn't bother implementing it for any other gear which seems rather strange. It would make sense to give set boosts to class artifact gear, dungeon sets, and certain tiers of crafted gear. Or, hell, just give set bonuses to drops and stronger materia available to crafted gear as a way to balance things

• Locked thread