Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

thehacker0 posted:

I'm interested in a vampire comic series. I am a big fan of Anne Rice, Stoker. I have read good things about I, Vampire and American Vampire. Which should I start with? Any other suggestions?

Marvel's Tomb of Dracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

American Vampire is great, and pretty easy to get into since it's just those 7 trades at the moment.

This is an excellent suggestion.

Lurdiak posted:

Marvel's Tomb of Dracula.
This is... excellent as a "later reading" suggestion, because most of ToD is pretty... Hammer? Not-Anne Rice.

I would also add 30 Days of Night given your preferences, and possibly Hellboy/BPRD as it does involve vampires at times.

If you are desperate you could consider Anita Blake, which I assume isn't complete garbage, and Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose, which is complete garbage (please report back if you read Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zachack posted:

This is... excellent as a "later reading" suggestion, because most of ToD is pretty... Hammer? Not-Anne Rice.

I wouldn't have suggested it if they'd only said Anne Rice, but Tomb of Dracula (and Dracula Lives! for that matter) is very Bram Stoker.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Zachack posted:

This is an excellent suggestion.

I would also add 30 Days of Night given your preferences, and possibly Hellboy/BPRD as it does involve vampires at times.

If you are desperate you could consider Anita Blake, which I assume isn't complete garbage, and Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose, which is complete garbage (please report back if you read Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose).

Anita Blake is pretty much just true blood in book form.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zachack posted:

<:mad:> Hey! That's my gimmick! (Oh god what have i become...)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Washout posted:

Anita Blake is pretty much just true blood in book form.

True Blood is based on a book.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Skwirl posted:

True Blood is based on a book.

I had totally understandably forgotten it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So, I loved Astro Boy as a kid. Should I read this?

http://www.amazon.ca/Astro-Boy-Omnibus-Osamu-Tezuka/dp/1616558601/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443329818&sr=8-2&keywords=astro+boy

Keep in mind I've always kinda struggled with enjoying traditional manga style left to right. Does Dark Horse flip it around for dummies like me?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Not in any of their other manga releases they don't

Edit: Wait, do you mean you want it flipped or not? Because it's probably flipped right to left for accuracy

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thehacker0 posted:

I'm interested in a vampire comic series. I am a big fan of Anne Rice, Stoker. I have read good things about I, Vampire and American Vampire. Which should I start with? Any other suggestions?

Fray is also good.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So, I loved Astro Boy as a kid. Should I read this?

http://www.amazon.ca/Astro-Boy-Omnibus-Osamu-Tezuka/dp/1616558601/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443329818&sr=8-2&keywords=astro+boy

Keep in mind I've always kinda struggled with enjoying traditional manga style left to right. Does Dark Horse flip it around for dummies like me?

That one contains the Greatest Robot on Earth story and that's pretty cool but it's the only Astro Boy I've read. If you want something along those lines Pluto is written and drawn by Urasawa and is a re imagining of that specific Astro Boy story. It is very good.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I read Punisher: Born and enjoyed it not for anything to do with the Punisher, but due to the Vietnam war setting. I'm interested in war comics in general but it seems like the grand majority of them are about WWII (not so surprisingly). Are there any war comics you guys can suggest to me about either Vietnam, the Civil War, etc.? Basically anything other than the two World Wars. I know Ennis has a corner on the market in terms of war comics but again, his seem like they're mostly about the Second World War, at least after some quick research.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Oliver Reed posted:

I read Punisher: Born and enjoyed it not for anything to do with the Punisher, but due to the Vietnam war setting. I'm interested in war comics in general but it seems like the grand majority of them are about WWII (not so surprisingly). Are there any war comics you guys can suggest to me about either Vietnam, the Civil War, etc.? Basically anything other than the two World Wars. I know Ennis has a corner on the market in terms of war comics but again, his seem like they're mostly about the Second World War, at least after some quick research.

Marvel's "The 'Nam" was surprisingly good. I'm not sure if it's even been collected in TPB, but you should be able to find the issues fairly cheap.

EDIT: The series did take a bit of a downturn in quality at the end, but there's still a good 50 issues worth of good reading.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Oliver Reed posted:

As Jedi says above me, you want The 'Nam by Marvel. There are 3 trades that collect up to #30.

I would also grab Fury Max: My War Gone By (by Ennis!) which covers the Bay of Pigs era, Vietnam, French-Indochina, Nicaragua, and the domestic side of these things to varying degrees, and show how everyone was terrible.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 5, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oliver Reed posted:

Ennis can't stop writing about Vietnam, really. The last arc of his Punisher run (Valley Forge, Valley Forge) is so much about Vietnam that it's constantly interrupted by actual text from an in-setting book about Punisher and Vietnam.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Will Eisner's "Last Day In Vietnam" is excellent.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

There's also a four issue limited series called "Tet" that is currently being released. Only the first issue is out so far.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's also The Other Side, by Jason Aaron. Parallel tales of guys on each side of Vietnam. Good stuff. And if you wanna read more Ennis war stuff, he's done a fair bit: War Stories which is in two trades. And Battlefields, which I remember being very well liked (haven't read it though).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Angela: Asgard's Assassin #1-6: worth the read? They're $0.99 each on comiXology right now.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Uthor posted:

Angela: Asgard's Assassin #1-6: worth the read? They're $0.99 each on comiXology right now.

If you don't already have Marvel Unlimited, I'd say they're worth it at $1 apiece (although even with Unlimited you still need to buy #6 since it's not up yet). I'll admit 1602 Witch Hunter got me more interested in Angela and Sera than Asgard's Assassin did but it's still a pretty good introduction to the characters.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm a newer marvel reader who actually recently just started getting back into comics. I was big on batman, JLA in that 90s to 2000 erra then stopped.

I've been really into big superhero team arcs. Since coming back I've read all of the newest Justice League, and am currently reading Bendis's New Avengers run, and Hickman's Fantastic Four. (I've read a lot more than this but these are the team books I've checked out)

I'd like to keep it marvel, what other really good team books/runs should I check out?

Being able to buy the run in omnibus form would be a huge plus, but not nessisary.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

I'd like to keep it marvel, what other really good team books/runs should I check out?
NEXTWAVE
Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Matt Fraction's Defenders
Nick Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Fraction's FF (after you finish up Hickman's stuff)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 13, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Avengers Academy by Christos Gage and Mike McCone. Careful not to get Avengers Academy Arena/Undercover by mistake. Those are terrible.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Also if you've read Hickman's FF/Fantastic Four, you might as well roll on into his Avengers/New Avengers run. Morrison's New X-Men is a good one too.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-statix by Milligan
Wolverine and the xmen by Aaron

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
X-Force #116-129 followed by X-Statix is really good and self contained. If you know what mutants are you're basically all set.

Downside is since none of the characters appear in anything else, it isn't a good jumping off point to go read anything else afterward, but it's a pretty enjoyable series on its own.

There is an omnibus for it that includes a spin off miniseries staring one of the characters and a few miscellaneous issues that tie into the series.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

My marvel background knowledge comes from the 90s cartoons. :gaz:

My plan is to check out a couple xmen runs. Then roll into Hickman's Avengers stuff. After that I'll start working down the list.

Thank you guys. My Instocktrades cart is massive.

Good solutions for shelving?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Norns posted:

My plan is to check out a couple xmen runs. Then roll into Hickman's Avengers stuff. After that I'll start working down the list.

Whatever ikea replaced the Expedit line with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Norns posted:

Before you get yourself in too deep have you considered digital comics?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

zoux posted:

Before you get yourself in too deep have you considered digital comics?

Im doing marvel unlimited but the quality of the scans kinda bothers me. And I spend an embarrassing amount on Comixology sales.

I'm only buying omnibus or absolutes for physical stuff. Singles are a rabbit hole I'm not going down.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Zachack posted:

Whatever ikea replaced the Expedit line with.

I think it's called the Kallax these days.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Norns posted:

After reading Morrison's New X-Men, check out X-Men '92. I highly suggest the digital Infinite Comics versions on comiXology.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Check out the Giffen/Maguire Defenders, also.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like hard boiled detectives. I also like goofiness. This leads me to think that I would like Howard the Duck. Where do I start? Ideally a trade or collection of some sort, unless there's a current run that's a great intro.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I like hard boiled detectives. I also like goofiness. This leads me to think that I would like Howard the Duck. Where do I start? Ideally a trade or collection of some sort, unless there's a current run that's a great intro.
Well, the current run by Harvey Award Winning Humorist Chip Zdarsky is the only one that's really a detective story. And it's good! So go for it.

Alternatively, go with the original run by Steve Gerber that runs through Adventures Into Fear #19, Man-Thing #1, Giant-Size Man-Thing #4-5, Howard the Duck #1-33, Marvel Treasury Edition #12, and Marvel Team-Up #96. These are collected in a single Omnibus ($70 on Amazon, or probably all on Marvel Unlimited) or they seem to be collecting them in trades, of which the first is out. I imagine there will be two or three of those if they sell okay.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Well, the current run by Harvey Award Winning Humorist Chip Zdarsky is the only one that's really a detective story. And it's good! So go for it.

Did they send him the award? More importantly, has he posted video of himself carving Matt's name into it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Did they send him the award? More importantly, has he posted video of himself carving Matt's name into it?
Well...

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

I'm not the biggest fan of the plot and pacing of Sex Criminals right now, but drat, of all the titles I've ever read it certainly seems like the one where the creators are having the most fun :allears:

Norns posted:

I'll second/third/whatever Morrison's run on X-Men. It's fantastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of the plot and pacing of Sex Criminals right now, but drat, of all the titles I've ever read it certainly seems like the one where the creators are having the most fun :allears:

The only thing wrong with the pacing on Sex Criminals is that Fraction seemed to bring his release schedule from Hawkeye with him when he left Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Is there anything recent like The Boys spin offs or The Authority have any newer stuff released? Or are there any newer books in the same vein? Super duper powers and a bunch of gore?