Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is the new future thing good ds2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

tpab is a goodass album that I regularly listen to but his stance on black-on-black crime drags k-dot in general for me which I guess is silly but ehh

Moonswamp
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone heard of this one yet? Another petition :(

http://jezebel.com/canadians-dont-want-kanye-west-performing-in-their-coun-1718295342

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
that isnt very polite, canada

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm not saying that Kendrick's album doesn't have substance, I just feel like he doesn't have enough substance there to justify the album's presentation as this grand, epic generation-defining statement (complete with a totally unearned and tacky Tupac outro). When you get down to the core of what he's saying, a lot of it is either really simple, basic motivational poster poo poo ("You gotta believe in yourself! Hang in there!"), patronizing oversimplifications of the issues ("The black community has problems because people have really bad self-esteem and bring others down"), or statements that are just flat-out wrong ("Hundreds of years of structural inequality in a white supremacist state sucks, BUT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME IS JUST AS BAD Y'ALL"). He also strays away from the personal storytelling that worked on GKMC to go with some really hacky, cliche conceptual tracks ("You thought this song was about a woman, but it's actually about hip-hop! This girl named Lucy is tempting me, but Lucy is actually the devil! I was mean to a homeless man but it turns out he was actually God and now I can't go to heaven, oh no!"). I feel like I wouldn't be as hard on this stuff if it didn't feel like the album was super impressed with itself and what it had to say.

I don't think the album is awful or anything; I really like the idea of TPAB on paper and there are plenty of great moments. I just don't feel like the execution always matches up to the album's potential.

The thing is when you get down to the core of what anyone is saying, it's gonna be some basic stuff. I mean I could just as easily dismiss RAP Music because when you get down to the core of it a lot of it is either really simple "gently caress the government" stuff, or empty braggadocio. Also fwiw the way most people saying they forgot about TPAB is how I feel about GKMC-besides backseat freestyle and maad city I pretty much dropped that album after a week or so. temple has it pretty much on the nose what TPAB is all about. And not caring for how he did it is way different from it being actually bad, or even not good.

No joke, I just read like 3 articles about this
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/joshua-ostroff/kanye-kim-pan-am-games_b_7810290.html
http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/jul/13/kanye-west-why-cant-rocknrolls-old-guard-handle-him
http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/lets-not-pretend-the-petition-to-stop-kanye-west-from-playing-toronto-doesnt-have-meaning?utm_source=vicefbca

Now I don't actually expect anyone else to read all of that, but there is a bunch of (largely unsurprising) stuff there about how most of this backlash is a bunch of "not racists" trying to strike out at Kanye's aggressive blackness, for lack of a better word. Also they had over 100k signatures at that UK concert so I don't think anything will come from this either, but it's still funny.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

alansmithee posted:

Now I don't actually expect anyone else to read all of that

Nonsense! It was fascinating stuff, albeit stuff I kind of expected, but it's good to see it stated out there. It is really surprising when people criticize Kanye as an rear end in a top hat considering the wide amount of poo poo white rockers have done in the past (Hasn't at least one classic band gotten away with murder? Pretty sure Kanye hasn't killed anyone).

But yeah, it's pretty significantly a racism thing, couched up in moralistic terms that suspiciously are never used when white musicians are brought on board. Black celebrities, especially those who don't act in particularly "white" ways are scrutinized in a way that might not necessarily be wrong, but is definitely not done with white celebrities or "white-friendly" black celebrities, like Will Smith.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I'm sure it'll be just as successful as the last one.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Xanderkish posted:

Nonsense! It was fascinating stuff, albeit stuff I kind of expected, but it's good to see it stated out there. It is really surprising when people criticize Kanye as an rear end in a top hat considering the wide amount of poo poo white rockers have done in the past (Hasn't at least one classic band gotten away with murder? Pretty sure Kanye hasn't killed anyone).

But yeah, it's pretty significantly a racism thing, couched up in moralistic terms that suspiciously are never used when white musicians are brought on board. Black celebrities, especially those who don't act in particularly "white" ways are scrutinized in a way that might not necessarily be wrong, but is definitely not done with white celebrities or "white-friendly" black celebrities, like Will Smith.

Completely agreed. I'd much rather hang out with Kanye West than a lot of artists whose music I like more but think are kinda assholes, from Jack White to Thom Yorke. I mean, I don't really get how you can have a parade of people like Paul Stanley or Jimmy Page or every other "classic rock" personality come in and go, "[Band X] was the biggest thing ever then," or, "We really were the first to do [thing they were not close to the first to do]," or, "I was messing around in the studio, and then a sound engineer told me, "Hey, I've never heard something like this before, you're doing [poo poo that didn't happen]." The idea of Kanye West being overwhelmingly arrogant, but all these other assholes not being arrogant kinda blows my mind.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

That's all good it went well.

I was there and the mic cut out during his set. I'm not sure how much more he had planned but it sounded like he was close to finishing. But when the mic cut he looked like he just said "gently caress it", threw the mic and left. Much confusion was had before they recovered and just played another Serena song.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Kanye for President? Just release your album mate then we'll talk!

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?
Yeezy 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeezy season always seems to be approaching but it never comes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So Swish has to drop sometime before 2020, right?

.....right? :shepicide:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
He's about to welcome another child into the world while gearing up for a presidential bid, cut him some slack

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Fade (Season 2 Mix) feat Travis Scott, Ty Dolla $ign and Post Malone

http://vocaroo.com/i/s131CMsZDQ1x

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

atrus50 posted:

Fade (Season 2 Mix) feat Travis Scott, Ty Dolla $ign and Post Malone

http://vocaroo.com/i/s131CMsZDQ1x

Still waiting on that Wolves CDQ :smith:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
If you were to do the impossible and try to list Kanye's albums by how good they are, would something like this be way off base? I'll be fair and admit that Graduation and 808s are the two I've listened to the least, so they might go above Late Registration eventually for me.

1. MBDTF
2. College Dropout
3. Yeezus
4. Late Registration
5. Graduation
6. 808s

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Mash posted:

If you were to do the impossible and try to list Kanye's albums by how good they are, would something like this be way off base? I'll be fair and admit that Graduation and 808s are the two I've listened to the least, so they might go above Late Registration eventually for me.

1. MBDTF
2. College Dropout
3. Yeezus
4. Late Registration
5. Graduation
6. 808s

You put the best two albums on the bottom...

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

The Mash posted:

1. MBDTF
2. College Dropout
3. Yeezus
4. Late Registration
5. Graduation
6. 808s

Listchat best chat!

1. MBDTF
2. 808s
3. Yeezus
4. College Dropout
5. Graduation
6. Late Registration

I do feel that on any given day 2-4 are interchangeable to me

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
1-5 Late Registration
6 MBDTF, College Dropout, Yeezus, Late Registration, Graduation, 808s

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
1. yeezus
2. graduation
3. mbdtf
4. college dropout
5. late registration
6. 808

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I took a hit of these lists it got me stuck

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

as long as Graduation is last, the list works

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Hey which one has killa cam on it

Oh yeah the best one

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I've had many arguments trying to list Kanye albums and it never works everyone has different opinions it turns out

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The amazing thing is that everybody's list is pretty valid because all of his solo albums are good to great. He's basically batting 1000, if you assume Cruel Summer doesn't count.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Blast Fantasto posted:

The amazing thing is that everybody's list is pretty valid because all of his solo albums are good to great. He's basically batting 1000, if you assume Cruel Summer doesn't count.
There were some dope tracks on Cruel Summer though. Not all of them, but absolutely some of them.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Freshman adjustment or whatever it's called is better then yeezus. Late orchestration is better then yeezus. gently caress man, vh1 storytellers is better then yeezus.

Us placers is better then yeezus. drat

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There were some dope tracks on Cruel Summer though. Not all of them, but absolutely some of them.

This album has grown on me quite a bit. I find that there's not a lot of tracks on this one that I skip.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah, there are definitely tracks I like on Cruel Summer. The version of Don't Like on there, that's that poo poo I do like

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Cruel Summer and Watch the Throne both have like half good tracks though which is still an achievement all things considered

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Tremendous Taste posted:

Hey which one has killa cam on it

Oh yeah the best one

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
1. Yeezus
2. MBDTF
3. College Dropout
4. Graduation
5. 808s
6. Late Registration

Just get the singles everywhere else (Cruel Summer, Watch the Throne, etc)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Street Lights is probably his best written song, therefore, 808s is good.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Crosspost

Saw Kanye last night and it was incredible

He only did Chorus + 1 Verse for most songs because the show ran klong and he got cut off, but check out this setlist.

edit - good seats too

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was going to make a list, too, but just take the order they were released in, reverse it, and then switch MBDTF and Yeezus so MBDTF is the best, and that's my list.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

alansmithee posted:

You put the best two albums on the bottom...

I don't normally agree with alansmithee, but I agree with him here.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
how could any of you dumb mother fuckers put Graduation at anything other than #2 behind MBDTF? I mean come on this is easy

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
But that's what happens when you get backpackers in a Kanye thread.

• Locked thread