Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Immortan posted:

Slipknot is terrible but at least they have self awareness unlike Kanye the gay fish. lol

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Kanye even wrote an open letter going "haha yeah, i gotta work on that. Good ep" after that exact same episode.

Then again there's that Bonnaroo squidbrains letter too

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I met Clown from Slipknot at a thing once. If you're trying to tell me that dude had "self awareness" then jesus christ, either you don't know what that means or you're dumb as hell. He was either high at the time, or was such a burnout that he just seemed it, was a huge dick to everyone, and was super incoherent.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Kanye even wrote an open letter going "haha yeah, i gotta work on that. Good ep" after that exact same episode.

quote:

” ’South Park’ murdered me last night, and it’s pretty funny. It hurts my feelings, but what can you expect from ’South Park?'” he wrote. “I actually have been working on my ego. … Having the crazy ego is played out at this point in my life and career. I used to use it to build up my esteem when nobody believed in me. Now that people do believe and support my music, the best response is ’Thank you’ instead of ’I told you so!’

“I just wanna be a doper person, which starts with me not always telling people how dope I think I am. I need to just get past myself. Drop the bravado and just make dope product,” the post continued. “As long as I act like a b—h, this type of sh– will happen to me. … I’m not actually a huge douche. I’m sure the writers at ’South Park’ are really nice people in real life. Thanks for taking the time to draw my crew. That was pretty funny also.”
Kanye's good folk.

The Squid Brains thing he wrote also seems really... reasonable to me. Having done a lot of theater work, it just sounds like a lot of people made a lot of bad calls and he had every right to be pissed off if people took it as him not giving a poo poo.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 15, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What squid brains thing?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The reason for the squidbrains letter is legit, it's the actual words that are deadly unintentional comedy.

Edit: I'm on my phone but he was mad about Bonnaroo...or maybe lollapalooza? Screwing up his stage show for Stronger by being bad at scheduling and letting pearl jam or someone play over time. Google kanye squidbrains letter and its BOUND 2 come up.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 16, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/kanye-west-blogs-back-calls-bonnaroo-organizers-squid-brains-20080625

lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Where the HECK is swish

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Where the HECK is swish

Floundering after being preceded by a bunch of weak rear end garbage?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Last I heard he went back to the lab after hearing Pimp a Butterfly so seeya in 2 years.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

^burtle posted:

Last I heard he went back to the lab after hearing Pimp a Butterfly so seeya in 2 years.

Its a good album, but I doubt he went back to hudson mohawke and said "Give me St. Pepper". Kayne has access to the same stable that Kendrick has if not better. He's an utter perfectionist so whatever he has he thinks is gold and he's just endlessly tweaking.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I wasn't really that big a fan of To Pimp A Butterfly. Like lyrically and thematically it was amazing, and I think it was an incredible mark in the history of hip-hop but musically, eh...it had a lot of variety, a lot of history, but I haven't really listened to it since after it came out. It just doesn't have that kind of replay value for me. I'm sure other people have different perspectives, and I don't want to demean that, but for me, it didn't connect. Certainly not in the way MBDTF did.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

tpab was weak poo poo

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
i like tpab a whole lot but i have to be really in the mood to listen to it

also i really only listen to it all the way through, there arent many songs i pick out to listen out of context of the whole album.. maybe 1/3 of them

idk its really good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tremendous Taste posted:

tpab was weak poo poo
Yeah there's less than a handful of really great tracks on it. I haven't felt the desire to listen to the whole thing again in months.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
TPAB is an instant classic and the best album of the century even though I don't remember what half the tracks sound like and I haven't listened to it in months

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

HorseRenoir posted:

TPAB is an instant classic and the best album of the century even though I don't remember what half the tracks sound like and I haven't listened to it in months

I have no idea if you are joking or not but minus the album of the century part I think this is how I feel. What a weird loving phenomena of an album.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Xanderkish posted:

I have no idea if you are joking or not but minus the album of the century part I think this is how I feel. What a weird loving phenomena of an album.

Not being serious at all but I think the reason for those comments is because TPAB has all the hallmarks and appearances of a "classic album" without really having the substance to back it up. I think that once you strip away all the fancy concepts and dazzling gimmicks, you have a middling conscious rap album that has been executed better by other artists recently. IMO Kendrick isn't that insightful when it comes to politics and I feel like he massively underutilized his stable of talent on this one. It baffles me that people are calling it better than MBDTF.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's not even better than section.80

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes let's definitely have another TPAB argument

but yeah I haven't listened to it in months either

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Sorry didn't mean to light it up, just recall seeing a tweet from Yeezy where he said he jams it every day in the studio now or something.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

yeezy is everybody's stan at some point

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
TPAB was really disappointing, I think HorseRenoir's summary is right on. I was really excited when I heard King Kunta right after it leaked but it's really not representative of the album. Kendrick's guest spots on other people's work is genuinely better than 90% of TPAB.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Alright is one of the best songs to Drop this year.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

HorseRenoir posted:

It baffles me that people are calling it better than MBDTF.

it's not

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HorseRenoir posted:

I think that once you strip away all the fancy concepts and dazzling gimmicks, you have a middling conscious rap album that has been executed better by other artists recently.

Who would this be?

Only asking because I want some more Kendrick sounding stuff, not as a dig at your post.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ICHIBAHN posted:

Who would this be?

Only asking because I want some more Kendrick sounding stuff, not as a dig at your post.

In terms of sound, I think Flying Lotus, Kamasi Washington (who played horns on TPAB), and D'Angelo pull the style of music off way better on their recent albums. I also thought that Tetsuo & Youth, Undun, and RAP Music are way more interesting in terms of conscious lyricism and storytelling.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Kamasi Washington album is loving massive and it owns through and through. There's probably 3 hours of music on there and not one single minute of it is bad. Realizing that is kind of staggering.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Need to hear this. Cheers.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

For some reason it became almost fashionable to hate on the Kendrick album. A lot of dudes want more straight ahead rapping stuff from him (more like his early work) and knock him down for not doing that. I'm not gonna lie and say it's easy listening or anything, but people saying it's lacking substance or middling or whatever are way offbase and kinda make me question their opinion on rap in general. Like he obviously doesn't have Kanye's sense for pulling in disparate sounds and making a cohesive sounding piece (at least not yet), but TPAB is in no way mediocre and largely deserves the praise it's gotten.

As for other good, recent "conscious" stuff Tetsuo & Youth and RAP Album are both very solid recs, but Undun is horrible when it's not forgettable (as is pretty much everything the Roots have done since Things Fall Apart). Nobody's Smiling is essentially last year's Tetsuo & Youth-an unexpectedly good album from a dude that most people had already written off (and hence the album's almost ignored). Vince Staples album is a conscious record that's wearing gangsta clothes. If you wanna look a little deeper check for billy woods's recent albums, Open Mike Eagle's "Dark Comedy" and the EP he also put out this year, Busdriver's album from last year, and maybe Nocando's album from last year.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

alansmithee posted:

For some reason it became almost fashionable to hate on the Kendrick album. A lot of dudes want more straight ahead rapping stuff from him (more like his early work) and knock him down for not doing that. I'm not gonna lie and say it's easy listening or anything, but people saying it's lacking substance or middling or whatever are way offbase and kinda make me question their opinion on rap in general. Like he obviously doesn't have Kanye's sense for pulling in disparate sounds and making a cohesive sounding piece (at least not yet), but TPAB is in no way mediocre and largely deserves the praise it's gotten.

I think you'll see that with any piece of media that gets really hyperbolic praise (and honestly, most talk of masterpieces or perfect albums is pretty hyperbolic). That kind of praise can turn off people who didn't have that sort of reaction, even people who thought it was a decent album can get grated by how people are showering praise on it. I think that's why a lot of the criticisms can get magnified, in that they're often coupled with an annoyance at the critics talking about how great it is. MBDTF probably got it too.

Like I said, I thought it was really impressive and had a lot of stuff to say. I just can't remember a lot of the stuff it actually said. I mean, I'm a white guy from Pennsylvania, so no doubt a lot of it is lost on me, but it just dropped off my radar after the honeymoon phase.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm not saying that Kendrick's album doesn't have substance, I just feel like he doesn't have enough substance there to justify the album's presentation as this grand, epic generation-defining statement (complete with a totally unearned and tacky Tupac outro). When you get down to the core of what he's saying, a lot of it is either really simple, basic motivational poster poo poo ("You gotta believe in yourself! Hang in there!"), patronizing oversimplifications of the issues ("The black community has problems because people have really bad self-esteem and bring others down"), or statements that are just flat-out wrong ("Hundreds of years of structural inequality in a white supremacist state sucks, BUT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME IS JUST AS BAD Y'ALL"). He also strays away from the personal storytelling that worked on GKMC to go with some really hacky, cliche conceptual tracks ("You thought this song was about a woman, but it's actually about hip-hop! This girl named Lucy is tempting me, but Lucy is actually the devil! I was mean to a homeless man but it turns out he was actually God and now I can't go to heaven, oh no!"). I feel like I wouldn't be as hard on this stuff if it didn't feel like the album was super impressed with itself and what it had to say.

I don't think the album is awful or anything; I really like the idea of TPAB on paper and there are plenty of great moments. I just don't feel like the execution always matches up to the album's potential.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've never heard the album but is there a reason it's named To Pimp A Butterfly?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

I've never heard the album but is there a reason it's named To Pimp A Butterfly?
Originally it was supposed to spell out TUPAC - Tu Pimp A Caterpillar - but then he changed it from caterpillar to butterfly because some bullshit reason.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

HorseRenoir posted:

totally unearned and tacky Tupac outro

it's not really unearned because he's a better rapper than 2pac

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Originally it was supposed to spell out TUPAC - Tu Pimp A Caterpillar - but then he changed it from caterpillar to butterfly because some bullshit reason.

Well that's a much better title.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Cool and good. posted:

it's not really unearned because he's a better rapper than 2pac

As a rapper, yes. As an actual icon and activist, hell no. Even if he was, it's still hosed up to put words in a dead man's mouth like that

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm not saying that Kendrick's album doesn't have substance, I just feel like he doesn't have enough substance there to justify the album's presentation as this grand, epic generation-defining statement (complete with a totally unearned and tacky Tupac outro). When you get down to the core of what he's saying, a lot of it is either really simple, basic motivational poster poo poo ("You gotta believe in yourself! Hang in there!"), patronizing oversimplifications of the issues ("The black community has problems because people have really bad self-esteem and bring others down"), or statements that are just flat-out wrong ("Hundreds of years of structural inequality in a white supremacist state sucks, BUT BLACK ON BLACK CRIME IS JUST AS BAD Y'ALL"). He also strays away from the personal storytelling that worked on GKMC to go with some really hacky, cliche conceptual tracks ("You thought this song was about a woman, but it's actually about hip-hop! This girl named Lucy is tempting me, but Lucy is actually the devil! I was mean to a homeless man but it turns out he was actually God and now I can't go to heaven, oh no!"). I feel like I wouldn't be as hard on this stuff if it didn't feel like the album was super impressed with itself and what it had to say.

I don't think the album is awful or anything; I really like the idea of TPAB on paper and there are plenty of great moments. I just don't feel like the execution always matches up to the album's potential.
The album is called To Pimp a Butterfly, not GKMC Part 2. A lot of albums can be reduced to whatever you want. You figure that positive rappers have to be more novel than everyone else when the majority of rap consists of the same themes. King Kunta, For Free, Complexion, For Sale deals with the pressures of the music industry and it isn't an over simplification. You ain't gotta lie is a direct shot at Drake and most other rappers trying to be down, not just a self-esteem messages. The theme of the album is Kendrick coping with his success, which is a timeless topic, and it handles it it from a pro-black, Afrocentric prospective. Where are you hearing music that's comparable?

I get a lot of the influences and it is right up my alley without stepping on too many toes. Why is it okay for there to be 50-11 trap rappers and drake clones but there can only be one conscious rapper and he is required to use incomprehensible influences to be valid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

temple posted:

The album is called To Pimp a Butterfly, not GKMC Part 2. A lot of albums can be reduced to whatever you want. You figure that positive rappers have to be more novel than everyone else when the majority of rap consists of the same themes. King Kunta, For Free, Complexion, For Sale deals with the pressures of the music industry and it isn't an over simplification. You ain't gotta lie is a direct shot at Drake and most other rappers trying to be down, not just a self-esteem messages. The theme of the album is Kendrick coping with his success, which is a timeless topic, and it handles it it from a pro-black, Afrocentric prospective. Where are you hearing music that's comparable?

I get a lot of the influences and it is right up my alley without stepping on too many toes. Why is it okay for there to be 50-11 trap rappers and drake clones but there can only be one conscious rapper and he is required to use incomprehensible influences to be valid?

I give conscious rap a lot less slack because I care a lot about those issues, and to me it's way easier to make an rear end of yourself rapping about serious issues than it is rapping about the usual stuff. It's cool that Kendrick is talking about that stuff, but I'm not just going to give him a medal for it when I don't care for the execution.

• Locked thread