Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Yashichi posted:

I don't think it was ever tax base, it was province count even before the development change

Might be thinking of EU3. It all sorts of flows together.

Also, gently caress Austria. Just as I'm about to declare on their rival, the Ottomans, they break the alliance and join Genoa and Hungary in a declaration on me. Luckily France did their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It definitely used to be based on base tax of core provinces, and despite what the tooltip on the government window says, it's actually based on total development of core provinces, not just number of core provinces. Interestingly, this number also includes core provinces that you don't currently control. Don't believe me? Ottomans start with 293 development, plus 135 from uncontrolled cores. Their sole Serbian province has 10 development. 10 / (293 + 135) = 0.023

(It truncates to the nearest tenth of a percentage)

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 15, 2015

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Cynic Jester posted:

He doesn't actually shift to Byzantium until the 1550s, and there's a ton of Greek development available. Add that Constantinople remains greek when the Ottos don't grab it and I don't see how it'll slow you down at all compared to annexing. It'll let you spend your admin points on other things, including cutting down the time you spend saving Admin points for culture shifting and moving your capital. It will also keep you from rocking a completely poo poo religious unity for ~50 or so years.

Edit: To be clear about culture shifting, it just needs to be the largest culture in your country as far as I know. I'm not sure you can find a culture besides like Austrian that'll match all the greek provinces in terms of development.

Letting the Ottomans take Constantinople Istanbul will result in a big bonus to Istanbul's development, though, and this cool event I just got:

Edit: And this:

Did they add a bunch of new Venetian events recently? :stare:

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 15, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ottomans what is wrong with you? You used to be cool.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chickpea Roar posted:

Letting the Ottomans take Constantinople Istanbul will result in a big bonus to Istanbul's development, though, and this cool event I just got:

Edit: And this:

Did they add a bunch of new Venetian events recently? :stare:

No those have been there for a long time. And yeah, I also got like 12 free manpower from that event. Venice is a Tier 1 nation and they got a bunch of additions along with the Netherlands in Res Publica. Along with the Papal States and Genoa they're probably the king country of having mediocre NIs but absolutely godlike 1821 modifiers.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IS there any way to avoid the drat "lose 1 stability or +3 inflation" event? I hate that one.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

It definitely used to be based on base tax of core provinces, and despite what the tooltip on the government window says, it's actually based on total development of core provinces, not just number of core provinces. Interestingly, this number also includes core provinces that you don't currently control. Don't believe me? Ottomans start with 293 development, plus 135 from uncontrolled cores. Their sole Serbian province has 10 development. 10 / (293 + 135) = 0.023

Pretty sure people are talking about culture swapping, not cultural acceptance. They work on entirely different systems.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

That's for cultural acceptance, culture shifting is based only on number of provinces

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
loving hell, this game. The only time I do halfway decent (as Florence), France tears through northern Italy like it's butter and annexes all of it in a timespan of 50 years, and Austria doesn't do anything about it. No coalitions were formed. Then they annexed me.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Mystic_Shadow posted:

loving hell, this game. The only time I do halfway decent (as Florence), France tears through northern Italy like it's butter and annexes all of it in a timespan of 50 years, and Austria doesn't do anything about it. No coalitions were formed. Then they annexed me.

Why weren't you allied to France?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

double nine posted:

IS there any way to avoid the drat "lose 1 stability or +3 inflation" event? I hate that one.

No, it's a generic event for everyone as far I know. I hate it too. Religious will give you lots of +stability events and make raising it cheaper, and Economic gives you inflation reduction, if you want to counter those. But there are times I go an entire game without ever getting that event. What pisses me most off about that event is that you can get it even when you're under 1% inflation. Oh thanks, we definitely need monetary reforms! I'll take that stability hit to lose one inflation even though my inflation is 0.2% anyways!

But it sucks. I usually opt for the stability loss since its 100 admin to raise it at one or lower, while three inflation takes two inflation reduction presses to get rid of.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you're talking about the event I think you are (currency reevaluation or something?) it won't trigger if you're under 5 inflation. Just buy it down whenever it gets up that high.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Whorelord posted:

Why weren't you allied to France?

No I mean France conquered me. I was allied to Austria, and they tried to defend me but failed because France was already so much bigger.

France first annexed three of my four provinces, and I tried to join a coalition against them, but couldn't because I had a truce and the truce lasts for 15 years when they take that much land.

France wouldn't want to ally me because they wanted my provinces really badly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

double nine posted:

You can reduce the chance of getting it by having a treasurer adviser, and by not having any outstanding loans.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

double nine posted:

No, but if you're catholic the forgive usury choice is a great use of 50 points, much like raising stability it translates into saving admin points.

I had the event fire 3 times within a short span (60 years? 100 years?) playing as Commonwealth, it was quite frustrating. Even with the -inflation advisor and forgive usury it just takes a long time to drive down 9% inflation without buying it down.

I don't know how often that event is supposed to happen but it seems to happen a lot. I got it two more times that playthrough, each time at low / no inflation and with no loans.

The event I was getting was called Corruption, it didn't seem currency related.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah Corruption is -1 stab or +3 inflation, there's another mega lovely event which is something like -100 admin points or +3 inflation which only fires if you have inflation >5

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Venice Byzantium is a very fun game and people should try it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I want a late game DLC bad. Like, introduce some new tech-related mechanics to make things a little more zany when you've done all the map painting you feel like. Common Sense had some promise of this but it didn't really pan out (though the other changes are nice, don't get me wrong). It's just a disappointment to hit that phase where substantial challenge is gone in the 1700s and there's not much to be done to prepare your country for the future.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah Corruption is -1 stab or +3 inflation, there's another mega lovely event which is something like -100 admin points or +3 inflation which only fires if you have inflation >5

It's actually the same event, you get the -100 ADM option if you're at -3 stability.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's also another event which can fire giving you the choice of -1 Inflation and -100ADM, or +3 Inflation, which is probably the one he's referring too.

In other news, I managed to get an Orissa start off the ground. Beat Bengal, Bahmanis and Malwa+Vassals in the first war, and took the Delta. Now Bengal is getting dogpiled into oblivion. Need to clear this drat regency and start hulking up before Jaunpur can conquer everything around.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Yashichi posted:

Integrating Naxos and Corfu is stupid anyway because you have to eat the diplo rep penalty for 10 years to get one province apiece. Just release them when you have the prestige and take the provinces. Taking Plutocracy and Humanist is also a dumb idea when your new ideas will give you 3% missionary power and 3 tolerance true

Depends on how much you value the -10% accepted culture threshold policy. Together with the base from humanism and the trading modifier it could be pretty good for a bonus to tax/manpower from the minor cultures.
Personally I'd ignore it and go Admin for the cheaper cores, but it's worth keeping in mind.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This Morocco campaign has been a giant pain in the rear end so far, what with the Iberians getting in their reconquista circlejerk, and the other North Africans deciding to buddy up with the loving Ottomans. I only managed to win the first Iberian war by getting their AI into a movement loop and winning through warscore.

I better be able to come back in force through the power of African gold, or I'm going to be real disappointed.

EDIT: Oh look, war dec for Ceuta again while I'm Westernizing! gently caress this, I'm going to play Ottomans and just loving poo poo all over these assholes on my rampage westward.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 16, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

toasterwarrior posted:

This Morocco campaign has been a giant pain in the rear end so far, what with the Iberians getting in their reconquista circlejerk, and the other North Africans deciding to buddy up with the loving Ottomans. I only managed to win the first Iberian war by getting their AI into a movement loop and winning through warscore.

I better be able to come back in force through the power of African gold, or I'm going to be real disappointed.

EDIT: Oh look, war dec for Ceuta again while I'm Westernizing! gently caress this, I'm going to play Ottomans and just loving poo poo all over these assholes on my rampage westward.
I had a lot of fun once a while ago as Morocco by building a zillion galleys and colonizing Brazil by loving the Iberians with a perma-war where I had them blockaded and sunk any ships they built. Cant explore if you dont have boats, bitches!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

I had a lot of fun once a while ago as Morocco by building a zillion galleys and colonizing Brazil by loving the Iberians with a perma-war where I had them blockaded and sunk any ships they built. Cant explore if you dont have boats, bitches!

Wouldn't you get Call for Peace after 5 years and get poo poo on by stacking WE. Although just a 5 year lead would probably be enough to keep them out of the good bits.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Larry Parrish posted:

Wouldn't you get Call for Peace after 5 years and get poo poo on by stacking WE. Although just a 5 year lead would probably be enough to keep them out of the good bits.

Only if you have >66.6 warscore. :getin:

I remember playing an England game in EU3 where I stayed at war with France for nearly the entire game, with a constant blockade that paid for my many colonies (this was before the exponential costs were a thing).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah I stayed at war with Castille and POrtugal with Cueta, Mediera, the Azores, and the Canaries occupied...the warscore even after it finished ticking was around 40%, maybe? They ended up going to war with other people and got trashed (well, Castille did) so I eventually peaced out with a ~10 year truce and they never explored. I have no idea how it would work these days, but I am tempted to try it again.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Average Bear posted:

Venice Byzantium is a very fun game and people should try it.

How do I do that?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How do I do that?

http://imgur.com/a/HNNvv

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know if the Liberal Backlash event can spawn for Theocracies. Because I just thought of an amusing way to do a Baltic Crusader run as the HRE without having to form Prussia towards the end of the campaign

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
What are the most interesting countries to pull the "escape to America" trick with?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Roadie posted:

What are the most interesting countries to pull the "escape to America" trick with?

Granada. I wrote a wall of text (that nobody replied to :mad:) a couple pages ago on how to do it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roadie posted:

Byzantium

Although note that it used to make you one of the strongest countries in the world to occupy the entire Eastern America CN. But with the change to Development, the new world is way shittier than it used to be. And except for the occasional event that gives you one free base tax in a colony, there's no easy way to mass-develop your lovely empty provinces. So you wont have many building slots either.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

Granada. I wrote a wall of text (that nobody replied to :mad:) a couple pages ago on how to do it.

It was a lovely post and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Roadie posted:

You used to be able to do it with Knights, but I think that's been killed off by the "you can't demand territory you can't possibly core" change.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Node posted:

That was what got me thinking on the topic, actually!

Larry Parrish posted:

Byzantium

Although note that it used to make you one of the strongest countries in the world to occupy the entire Eastern America CN. But with the change to Development, the new world is way shittier than it used to be. And except for the occasional event that gives you one free base tax in a colony, there's no easy way to mass-develop your lovely empty provinces. So you wont have many building slots either.

Is there any particular trick to hopping over that way as Byz, or do you have to basically do the same early game of shattering the Ottoman Balkans in order to survive long enough to get the colonizing ideas?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Larry Parrish posted:

Byzantium

Yeah, with the escape to America strategy, you're trading infrastructure for mass amounts of provinces, basically. When I had colonized 90% of North America, I had maybe 180k manpower with Quantity. Although if you make sure to grab the entire Caribbean first, your trade income is going to be sick, and you'll be able to afford a fleet that can protect you from all the other naval powers, easy.

Tsyni posted:

It was a lovely post and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

But enough about my penis.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roadie posted:

That was what got me thinking on the topic, actually!

Is there any particular trick to hopping over that way as Byz, or do you have to basically do the same early game of shattering the Ottoman Balkans in order to survive long enough to get the colonizing ideas?

You used to be able to do shenanigans like no-CB Granada if they had no allies because your capital can in fact be a non-core province if you lose it in a war. Now? Not sure. Maybe you could get some naval allies and steal Malta from Aragon? Or somehow break the Venetian alliance/guarantee with The Knights and hope that they have Malta ceded to them.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I just accepted Orthodox rebel demands and I kept the statute in restraint of appeals :toot:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:burger: :yosbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Burgermaster Fiery Assman.

Those are some spicy burgers.

• Locked thread