Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Easier to do with a debug version of the game and a whole lot more rendering options I gather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, let's wait and see what it actually looks like when delivered. Paradox is infinitely more trustworthy than the likes of EA, but marketing should always be taken with three or four grains of salt.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, let's wait and see what it actually looks like when delivered. Paradox is infinitely more trustworthy than the likes of EA, but marketing should always be taken with three or four grains of salt.

Well, certainly. But if the marketing shots look lovely, that does say something.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I've finished my guide on freeway/interchange geometry in C:S by the way: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=495789494

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm subscribed to about a hundred nice-looking low-memory-footprint growables, and I was gonna make a collection to link, but... ehh, with After Dark about to come out, I feel like I should just wait and then start again with buildings with night light maps.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Are there any mods out there that are adept at evening out the deathwaves? I'm in a situation where about 3 residential areas have been created almost exactly one cim lifespan apart, and I'm losing tens of thousands of people to rolling deathwaves before picking them right up again.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Breetai posted:

Are there any mods out there that are adept at evening out the deathwaves? I'm in a situation where about 3 residential areas have been created almost exactly one cim lifespan apart, and I'm losing tens of thousands of people to rolling deathwaves before picking them right up again.

This mod will cause cims to die randomly sometimes. It may take a bit for the deathwaves to stop entirely, though.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
I stopped using the Overwatch packages of mods since the 1.1.1 patch broke them. Have they been fixed? The core mod hasn't been updated since May :(

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Does stopping buildings from upgrading with the level limiter do anything other than stop the capacity of the building going up? It doesn't affect the education of the cims inside for example?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Metrication posted:

Does stopping buildings from upgrading with the level limiter do anything other than stop the capacity of the building going up? It doesn't affect the education of the cims inside for example?

Nope don't worry building level strictly increases capacity and fussyness but a resident slot is a slot, anyone can live in them. Higher level buildings have higher requirements for the cims but the reverse isn't true and it does make anyone unhappy.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I started a city on a map called Volcano Crown and had a good time, but once it came to building a cargo harbour, after a couple of seconds the game crashes when I plopp one down. I never had this problem before, could it be the map that lacks proper access points for boats?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone played Mini Metro on Steam? For $6 it seems like it might be appealing, especially with the hours I've put in to Cities: Skylines.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287980/?snr=1_239_1200__1251

I only tried it when it was in free alpha. Back then I thought the difficulty was frustrating. Generally I thought it forced me to expand too fast, before my network had properly settled at the previous size.

Has that improved?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Foxhound posted:

Wonder how this smells.

a reservoir of poo poo water? having seen one in real life, I can tell you it smells exactly like you'd expect. for literally miles around.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nielsm posted:

I only tried it when it was in free alpha. Back then I thought the difficulty was frustrating. Generally I thought it forced me to expand too fast, before my network had properly settled at the previous size.

Has that improved?

I think that's the point, that's its very fast paced. You're not supposed to have time to sit back and plan an optimal system, you've got to frantically build and the game is simply about surviving as long as you can. That's why I don't care for it much either.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I think that's the point, that's its very fast paced. You're not supposed to have time to sit back and plan an optimal system, you've got to frantically build and the game is simply about surviving as long as you can. That's why I don't care for it much either.

You can pause. It's still hard as balls, though.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So it is a puzzle game and not a sim at all then?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

So it is a puzzle game and not a sim at all then?

Minimetro? Yeah.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Koesj posted:

I've finished my guide on freeway/interchange geometry in C:S by the way: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=495789494

Very nice. My one observation is that you should probably put the reference sheet in almost at the beginning of the piece to give the reader some foundation and reasoning for a lot of the stuff that comes later — if possible, even with some more in-depth game-mecahnical explanation for why this is the case.

I kept asking myself “ok… but why that speed?” almost every time you gave a practical example, wondering where or how you arrived at that particular number.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Tippis posted:

Very nice. My one observation is that you should probably put the reference sheet in almost at the beginning of the piece to give the reader some foundation and reasoning for a lot of the stuff that comes later — if possible, even with some more in-depth game-mecahnical explanation for why this is the case.

I kept asking myself “ok… but why that speed?” almost every time you gave a practical example, wondering where or how you arrived at that particular number.

I'll definitely take that into account as I rewrite the guide! My English needs touching up anyway but the general gist of the guide should probably be a little bit clearer too, or be coming across more forcefully anyway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How much of this is just in the name of realism and how much of it actually influences the game?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
About 99:1 haha. But seriously some added roadspace seems to work pretty well to smooth traffic out. What I'm doing is taking it wayyy too far though.

Also I'm still sitting at home with an injury so yay free time to do this kind of stuff (:()

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

How much of this is just in the name of realism and how much of it actually influences the game?

Koesj posted:

About 99:1 haha. But seriously some added roadspace seems to work pretty well to smooth traffic out. What I'm doing is taking it wayyy too far though.

Also I'm still sitting at home with an injury so yay free time to do this kind of stuff (:()

Yeah, that was part of why that question kept popping up to me: how much does it really matter.

I have a tendency to build (fairly) compact, with this monstrosity being one of my standard assets:

It contains no less than 8 olympic-class ski jumps, and yet traffic flows through really well. Somehow.

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

That owns. Did you make that with the pre-existing ploppable roundabouts?

imurdaddy415
Sep 15, 2015

Tippis posted:

Yeah, that was part of why that question kept popping up to me: how much does it really matter.

I have a tendency to build (fairly) compact, with this monstrosity being one of my standard assets:

It contains no less than 8 olympic-class ski jumps, and yet traffic flows through really well. Somehow.

Holy Jesus. That seems like something out of China

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Thoreau-Up posted:

That owns. Did you make that with the pre-existing ploppable roundabouts?

I tried using the pre-existing ones, but they were too big and too prone to being deformed once I added in all the additional on- and off-ramps. So I just ended up building a pre-made asset of my own. It's actually fairly straight-forward in terms of how it's constructed, but it can be hard to get your head around without seeing it in 3D so you can get a feel for which bits connect to what — especially the internal ramps, which you can only glimpse in that picture.

You can see them (slightly) better in this one, from further down the road:

imurdaddy415 posted:

Holy Jesus. That seems like something out of China

They're too busy complaining about my use of farms and oil to worry about density and noise. :v:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 15, 2015

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

So I just got a new display and... I can see forever

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Friction posted:

Welcome to 21:9

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So do we know anything about how bikes will work? Have they mentioned them at all?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Baronjutter posted:

So do we know anything about how bikes will work? Have they mentioned them at all?

Well, I'm guessing you put them in/around residential areas and about a quarter of the cyclists decide they'd still rather drive down the middle of the car lanes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alkydere posted:

Well, I'm guessing you put them in/around residential areas and about a quarter of the cyclists decide they'd still rather drive down the middle of the car lanes.

If that is happening you've built bad bike infrastructure.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Baronjutter posted:

If that is happening you've built bad bike infrastructure.

Nah, Austin has pretty good bike infrastructure. It's just that then everyone parks on top of it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Nah, Austin has pretty good bike infrastructure. It's just that then everyone parks on top of it.

Paradox is the publisher, not this thread's main subject as a concept AFAIK

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This isn't so much a braided intersection as a Polish loving Plait. (Hint: don't GIS Polish Plait.)

Totally reasonable. Yup.

I'm working on finally knuckling down until I get a city over 100k pop. I'm at 80k now with no major traffic problems.

Detail of north end of my city:

Detail of south end and planned expansion zone for a buttload of residential to crew the industrial zone to the right of the current south end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Friction posted:

How did you get those farmland looking squares in the top left? Are those just part of the map you're using?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

CJacobs posted:

How did you get those farmland looking squares in the top left? Are those just part of the map you're using?

Ultimate Area Fillers V2 - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416082909

The farmland fillers are purely cosmetic (and conduct electricity). I think they look nice.

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.

Baronjutter posted:

You can't use realistic numbers and expect realistic results because the game is balanced around unrealistic numbers. If we could effect the traffic rate AI this would work, but we can't. If you give a factory a realistic number of employees it produces a poo poo ton of goods that clogs up your streets, if you give residential realistic numbers your streets and transit systems can't keep up. The whole game was balanced to have traffic problems/challenge with the default numbers, if you raise them it fucks up the entire simulation.

I just found a mod that actually manages to convince these simulated bastards to use multiple lanes: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=492391912.

It's helped a lot. Traffic is cut at least in half and I can see cars actually make it to their destinations.

Now to figure out how to make a halfway utilized subway and bus system, put in more one way roads, and I can finally get my city traffic down to New York levels. :shepface:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Friction posted:

Ultimate Area Fillers V2 - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416082909

The farmland fillers are purely cosmetic (and conduct electricity). I think they look nice.

They do! I was looking at the area fillers earlier today, since I wanna see how far I can go with finishing my city before after dark comes out. Now I definitely think I'm going to use it just to fill the remaining empty space:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lycaeon posted:

I just found a mod that actually manages to convince these simulated bastards to use multiple lanes: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=492391912.

Warning to anyone who doesn't already know: Traffic++ puts an enormous strain on your CPU. (This is why CO did not put this functionality in the vanilla game and has already said it does not intend to.) Yes, yes, no one reading this thread has an HP Pavilion, but whatever your specs are, your city will grow to unplayability significantly sooner with Traffic++ installed.

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Warning to anyone who doesn't already know: Traffic++ puts an enormous strain on your CPU. (This is why CO did not put this functionality in the vanilla game and has already said it does not intend to.) Yes, yes, no one reading this thread has an HP Pavilion, but whatever your specs are, your city will grow to unplayability significantly sooner with Traffic++ installed.

Well, the mod linked isn't Traffic++ persay. It's a separate mod made by the same author, and it's actually incompatible with the actual Traffic++ mod at the moment.

Not noticing any slowdowns just yet but then again my PC is pretty hefty. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Lycaeon posted:

Well, the mod linked isn't Traffic++ persay. It's a separate mod made by the same author, and it's actually incompatible with the actual Traffic++ mod at the moment.

Not noticing any slowdowns just yet but then again my PC is pretty hefty. :shrug:

What is your city's population?