Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lycaeon posted:

Well, the mod linked isn't Traffic++ persay.

Well, that mod is the part of Traffic++ that strains a computer. The custom roads and so forth aren't as big a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.

Koesj posted:

What is your city's population?

210k, all crammed into a growing cluster of office buildings and residential towers.

I really should just start over with a halfway decent road network...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Lycaeon posted:

Should be the title of the thread

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lycaeon posted:

210k, all crammed into a growing cluster of office buildings and residential towers.

Rule #1 of C:s: The decency of the road network is halved by every upgrade you unlock.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mr Dog posted:

Should be the title of the thread
I agree.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I really want to re-start doing some PoMo towers for C:S, and apparently working directly from SketchUp is easier now because of ThomThom's extension. Useful, because I'm approximately 1000 times better at SketchUp than 3dsMax.

Not looking forward to optimizing those models, all the UV mapping, and figuring out how to bake, lod, and shake though :(

Any tips from the modelers here? I think the other thread is dead.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
Those look nice. I'm still trying to wrap my head around texturing in max. Sketchup is cool and fun but it can produce some terribly inefficient meshes. I haven't used both side by side enough to make a direct performance comparison

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yeahhh SketchUp's texturing for C:S workflow is supremely retarded, so back to learning 3dsMax for me!

I can always go and import the base model into it anyway

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Some more shots and a little post from CO: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2Fcities-skylines-after-dark-dev-diary-5-almost-there.882177%2F

Having separate budget sliders for day and night is cool.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 18, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Well well well if I just collapse in 3dsMax afterwards, it seems importing SketchUp components as layers cuts my tri use by a factor of 4.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Having separate budget sliders for day and night is cool.

You'll be able to turn off the police during night time? Or maybe just education, why would you pay for the schools when they're not open?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Poil posted:

You'll be able to turn off the police during night time? Or maybe just education, why would you pay for the schools when they're not open?

The question is if they'll also see different use in a way that makes sense. Will people actually go home from school so nothing is lost by having them closed? Will more people be hurt so you need to have the ambulances available? Will people be more annoyed by the noise, or can you just let all garbage collection happen at night when there's no traffic?

Also, I suppose it's for services as a whole — otherwise, dedicated night bus and subway routes would be neat.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
7 days to After Dark release - Something to read while you wait

What is included in the free update
A quite substantial portion of the expansion pack is free content.

What is included in the paid update
So the free stuff is good and all, but the elements that will really add a new layer to your city & the simulation is in the paid part.
- Several new landmark buildings
- Prison & attached functionality
- International airport
- New large cargo hub
- Massive bus station
- Taxis, taxi stand & depot
- Bikes and bike paths
- Roads with bike and bus lanes
- Leisure specialization + buildings
- Tourism specialization + buildings
- New beautification (parks and other ploppables)
- New props, vehicles, citizens and more!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Looks like my plan of layering stuff in Sketchup, through 3ds Max, and then into the game is working out :getin:

Still, 3000 tris already (while still modeling, moving towards 5k probably) and no texturing done yet:

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
What is the best way to easily unlock all stuff? I thought that simply loading the GTA map worked but it didn't do anything for me?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Le0 posted:

What is the best way to easily unlock all stuff? I thought that simply loading the GTA map worked but it didn't do anything for me?

Isnt there an option to unlock everything in the mods menu? That's one of two mods that come in the base game (the other being unlimited funds).

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Avocados posted:

Isnt there an option to unlock everything in the mods menu? That's one of two mods that come in the base game (the other being unlimited funds).

It unlocks all facilities and stuff but I'd like to get the unique buildings

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
I've got some weird traffic issues in my city.
An abandoned truck trailer sitting at an intersection:

And a scooter that thinks it's a metro blocking an interchange:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

You running any mods?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I look forward to giving them more money for After Dark. It looks great.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Masa posted:

And a scooter that thinks it's a metro blocking an interchange:

Jesus that scooter can take a lot of pillions

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Imma bore you guys with some more work in progress pics but I'm putting an ungodly amount of my unfortunately free time into making a nice building:

A slightly older pic of getting sketchup to play nice with 3ds Max:

Only 5160 triangles! Less than Mr Maison's Colossal Mills, and seeing as how some of Gula's growables go above 3000 on a 4x4 lot (my tower is 10x10), I'm feeling pretty good about my model!

Texturing is going to be a total bitch though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does Cities: Skylines let you do bump mapping for fine details? I haven't played around with it in ages but at first glance it sounds like a slam dunk for handling things like those vertical lines. Although on second glance - maybe that's what you're doing? The last pic looks flat.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Does Cities: Skylines let you do bump mapping for fine details? I haven't played around with it in ages but at first glance it sounds like a slam dunk for handling things like those vertical lines. Although on second glance - maybe that's what you're doing? The last pic looks flat.

It does, but the verticality of this tower isn't exactly fine detail. Those pillars (pilasters?) are a meter wide. If you look at base game assets, or nicely optimized workshop ones, you'll see people using geometry at that scale all the time, and efforts to do this with normal mapping seem to turn out pretty lovely-looking.

Still, 40% of my triangles are invested in the vertical facade elements right now and if it wasn't for the layering shown in the last pic, they would have broken up the sketchup model to a truly horrible degree. So I'm going to recombine a number of elements because I can, and since the texture should enable 120 meter-long things @ a 10cm resolution (1024x1024).

I've mapped gently caress all up until now though, and I hope I don't run into .fbx exporting problems where you'll see seams like with my last try :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Le0 posted:

It unlocks all facilities and stuff but I'd like to get the unique buildings

This has most of the unlocks unlocked.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
People are streaming After Dark now that the embargo's been lifted.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Koesj posted:

People are streaming After Dark now that the embargo's been lifted.

And TotallyMoo is having a chat session in Quill18's stream.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Pretty excited that shorelines will raise land value, that's something that always annoyed me to no end.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Supraluminal posted:

Pretty excited that shorelines will raise land value, that's something that always annoyed me to no end.

Finally, now all they have to do is create some sort of arcane, complicated algorithm for raising value based on "a good view" and land value will be perfect.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Supraluminal posted:

I assume/hope nearby water pollution matters in that calculation?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I assume/hope nearby water pollution matters in that calculation?
It's be hilarious if it didn't though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Poil posted:

It's be hilarious if it didn't though.
Terraform tool + water drain pipe = custom parks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really wish they'd released the building nighttime lightmap spec a month ago so people could've been building their custom stuff After Dark ready.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'd say having to add a ton of lighting props might be more work than doing a color range selection on your luminosity map in PS :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
T minus four days till all the mods break! :derp:

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Does turning off auto-update for the game also turn off auto-update for workshop content?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

T minus four days till all the mods break! :derp:

I was just watching Enter Elysium's preview-LP, and it looks like a fair amount of mods — at least convenience mods — still work with whatever version he got his hands on. Tons of assets will probably just outright break, though, so there's always that. :D

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

McGlockenshire posted:

Does turning off auto-update for the game also turn off auto-update for workshop content?

No.
Steam Workshop will update because it knows best.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Tippis posted:

I was just watching Enter Elysium's preview-LP, and it looks like a fair amount of mods — at least convenience mods — still work with whatever version he got his hands on. Tons of assets will probably just outright break, though, so there's always that. :D
I think the main asset mods I've got are Fishbus's and that guy who makes all the intersections so hopefully they're on the ball (the latter probably shouldn't break). Most of what I have installed are more your No Pillars/Precision Engineering kind of things.

It's probably time to start a new city since I've got two that are 100,000+ that I'm just expanding out and tweaking the highways etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tippis posted:

How do you figure? I'd have thought assets would generally be safe, wouldn't they? Lightmaps aside.