Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's more oWoD than letting memes gestate until they're accepted as fact, though?

That's the oWoD, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The fires of Hell will burn the weak / so we'll make Layout obsolete

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

That doesn't even work out, because the point of the ending is to establish the memes persisted.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

That doesn't even work out, because the point of the ending is to establish the memes persisted.
Not Monsoon's!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NWoD is the Venom Snake to OWoD's Big Boss

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dammit Who? posted:

is this book out of layout yet

Yes, six times already!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yes, six times already!

But seriously, it's now at CCP for approval, which tends to be the final step before sending the PDF out.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Flavivirus posted:

But seriously, it's now at CCP for approval, which tends to be the final step before sending the PDF out.

Rad, thanks. See you guys at Christmas*.

*actual irl christmas

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dammit Who? posted:

Rad, thanks. See you guys at Christmas*.

*actual irl christmas

What year though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Hugoon Chavez posted:

What year though.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Noelor
Oct 5, 2009

:golfclap:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, you guys think that the finished PDF will drop by the end of the month?

Also please tell me they realized Crafting was bad and made it not bad.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

So, you guys think that the finished PDF will drop by the end of the month?

Also please tell me they realized Crafting was bad and made it not bad.

Crafting is an important story generation tool. If it looks bad it's just because you're not using it right!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I would say it's almost certainly gonna be before the end of the year.

Craft isn't going to change, they have been pretty adamant about that, so I doubt it. Unless they did. You can never tell because one of Holden's favorite things is the double whammy of 'No one has thought about this more then me and Hatewheel' and 'Haha look at these people working with super outdated versions of the game.'

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
At this point my dearest wish is that they hold onto it until Christmas Day.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So the accuracy penalty compounded with the parry loss means that heavy weapons, even heavy artifact weapons, are a newbie trap, right?

Like if everyone was guaranteed to hit they're basically on par with other kinds of weapons, but if you assume maxed stats on everyone then whether or not various charms are in play it ends up at like a ~50% chance for a medium swing to connect versus a ~30% chance for a heavy swing to connect.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Despite saying otherwise there appear to be several newbie traps, yeah.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ferrinus posted:

So the accuracy penalty compounded with the parry loss means that heavy weapons, even heavy artifact weapons, are a newbie trap, right?

Like if everyone was guaranteed to hit they're basically on par with other kinds of weapons, but if you assume maxed stats on everyone then whether or not various charms are in play it ends up at like a ~50% chance for a medium swing to connect versus a ~30% chance for a heavy swing to connect.

Not really, no. Since Hungry Tiger only works against crashed enemies now, your threshold successes are 1:1 bonus damage. So if you are guaranteed to hit, weapons (I'l use the numbers for artifacts for this, but it works out the same) have an effective damage of (accuracy/2)+base damage. A Light Artifact Weapon has accuracy 5 and damage 10, for an effective damage of 12.5. Heavy weapons have accuracy 1 and damage 14, for a 14.5 effective.
From my in-play experience (standard disclaimers about different groups building differently and anecdotes not being data), most attacks hit regardless of weapon weight. I personally feel that the defense bonus and higher reliability make light weapons better, but if so it's a pretty marginal difference. I certainly wouldn't call any of them a Newbie Trap, since there is a difference between a trap option and a slightly less optimal option.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Kaza42 posted:

Not really, no. Since Hungry Tiger only works against crashed enemies now, your threshold successes are 1:1 bonus damage. So if you are guaranteed to hit, weapons (I'l use the numbers for artifacts for this, but it works out the same) have an effective damage of (accuracy/2)+base damage. A Light Artifact Weapon has accuracy 5 and damage 10, for an effective damage of 12.5. Heavy weapons have accuracy 1 and damage 14, for a 14.5 effective.
From my in-play experience (standard disclaimers about different groups building differently and anecdotes not being data), most attacks hit regardless of weapon weight. I personally feel that the defense bonus and higher reliability make light weapons better, but if so it's a pretty marginal difference. I certainly wouldn't call any of them a Newbie Trap, since there is a difference between a trap option and a slightly less optimal option.

That's what I used to think, until I did the math and found out that you are not, at all, guaranteed to hit.

The problem is that heavy weapons have about the same average damage as medium ones - maaaaaybe a little better - but that marginal advantage against easy enemies looks way, way worse than a dramatically increased chance to whiff on hard enemies.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

That's what I used to think, until I did the math and found out that you are not, at all, guaranteed to hit.

The problem is that heavy weapons have about the same average damage as medium ones - maaaaaybe a little better - but that marginal advantage against easy enemies looks way, way worse than a dramatically increased chance to whiff on hard enemies.

That about matches up with what other people have found. When better accuracy for your attack rolls ALSO means more damage on your damage rolls, the value of more damaging but less accurate weapons becomes a lot more marginal.

The only thing most two handed weapons have over one handed weapons is a bonus to clashes, but you can get the same effect just by dual wielding smaller weapons.

It's not that big of a problem, but I've always felt there needs to be more incentive to use heavier gear, maybe through tags that add more incentive to use them.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Ferrinus posted:

A) That increased damage is more valuable than it looks, because Heavy Weapons are both more likely to have leftover damage after Soak and have a higher Overwhelming rating, which is immensely valuable

and

B) If you want to fix it anyways, this particular problem has already been solved.

Weapon Rebalance posted:

Weapon rebalance: Medium Melee Artifacts gain Defensive* tag, Heavy Melee Artifacts gain Relentless* tag.

---

New Weapon Tags:

*Defensive: When Flurrying a Full Defense action, no longer takes a Defense penalty, nor a penalty to defensive dice pools.

*Relentless: Automatic initiative is now granted on hit or miss, with a miss value equal to half the weapon's Overwhelming value, rounded up. Automatic initiative on hit is still +1.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Relentless would lead to the unusual case of hitting and only dealing 0-1 damage, and realizing you would have gained more initiative on a miss. I like the idea, but could use a tweak. Either lower the automatic initiative on a miss, or add a minimum initiative gain on a hit maybe?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kaza42 posted:

Relentless would lead to the unusual case of hitting and only dealing 0-1 damage, and realizing you would have gained more initiative on a miss. I like the idea, but could use a tweak. Either lower the automatic initiative on a miss, or add a minimum initiative gain on a hit maybe?

Nah, the weapon would still have overwhelming 5 giving its hits a minimum of 5 damage. At least as far as I can tell - not sure where that "automatic initiative is still +1" thing comes from.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Flavivirus posted:

Nah, the weapon would still have overwhelming 5 giving its hits a minimum of 5 damage. At least as far as I can tell - not sure where that "automatic initiative is still +1" thing comes from.

When a Withering attack connects, regardless of how much damage it does, it grants you +1 initiative, no dice rolled for it. Relentless takes that, extends it to misses and makes it higher - thus giving heavy weapon users a feel of being unstoppable juggernauts, because even if you're too fast to hit, they'll harry you and hound you relentlessly until they find one good hit and kill you.

Kaza42 posted:

This would be an excessive buff in practice. A version of Relentless was tested where automatic initiative went to half-Overwhelming on hits too and it just made heavy weapons scale so fast that users of them could 1v2 and sometimes 1v3 without breaking a sweat. The current version has that little problem of having occasional 'valleys' when dealing ping damage because the dice are shitters, but there's nothing that can be done about it without loving with the combat engine on a much deeper level, and you should on average get more initiative on ping hits anyway.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

I would say it's almost certainly gonna be before the end of the year.

Craft isn't going to change, they have been pretty adamant about that, so I doubt it. Unless they did. You can never tell because one of Holden's favorite things is the double whammy of 'No one has thought about this more then me and Hatewheel' and 'Haha look at these people working with super outdated versions of the game.'

I still don't understand why they don't change it. Are they that afraid of people making cool swords and poo poo? gently caress, if the weapons and armor you made with Craft came with Evocations, I'd understand if that's why it took so long.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It's not about stuff like that. I'm not defending it because I don't like it either, but I think viewing their decision to keep Craft how it is as maliciousness is coming at it from the wrong side. They aren't trying to ruin the game and laughing evilly about how the first part of their master plan is making a bad Craft System. They like their Craft System, and they think what it does is good. You can disagree with them and think it's bad system, I sure do, but they think it's good, and they disagree with people who tell them that it's bad because of this. It's less 'we're not changing because we want it to be bad haha.' and more 'we're not changing because we've thought about this a lot and this is what we want to say about Craft in this system'. Insults are sometimes implied but not always.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought the issue with Craft wasn't so much that it keeps you from making a cool sword as that it provides some kind of super complex Pachinko machine of an XP system and converts just about everything you do into making a sword because we gotta have craftables in our roguelike RPG experience nowadays. Meanwhile the "Sorcerous Projects" system is apparently good and could easily be applied to making the Sword of a Thousand Truths.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Transient People posted:

A) That increased damage is more valuable than it looks, because Heavy Weapons are both more likely to have leftover damage after Soak and have a higher Overwhelming rating, which is immensely valuable

Taken into account. It's not worth hitting 30% rather than 60% of the time when the stakes are high.

quote:

B) If you want to fix it anyways, this particular problem has already been solved.

My own idea was to give all weapons identical accuracy and parry bonuses, and make bigger weapons have bigger damage bonuses but cost initiative to swing at all.

I.e. light weapon attacks are free, medium weapon attacks cost 1 initiative but deal 2 to 4 more dice of damage, heavy weapon attacks cost 2 initiative but deal 4 to 8 more damage. Alternatively, medium and heavy weapons have slightly less dramatic damage bonuses, but only cost you initiative if you miss when attacking with them.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Taken into account. It's not worth hitting 30% rather than 60% of the time when the stakes are high.

This shouldn't be the case at all, though. Assuming a standard maxed out pool (dex 5, melee 5, specialty 1, artifact weapon), a heavy weapon has even odds of hitting a Defence of 7, the highest you can get (and only for Parry), if you stunt at all. Against Dodge, your odds are even better than that because it caps one point lower and requires the use of Drifting Leaf Elusion to equalize. Or are you assuming charm use here? Because that should pretty much always favor attackers over defenders, barring some tricky charms like Hail Shattering Practice.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Nessus posted:

I thought the issue with Craft wasn't so much that it keeps you from making a cool sword as that it provides some kind of super complex Pachinko machine of an XP system and converts just about everything you do into making a sword because we gotta have craftables in our roguelike RPG experience nowadays. Meanwhile the "Sorcerous Projects" system is apparently good and could easily be applied to making the Sword of a Thousand Truths.

Yeah. I mean the biggest issue is that if you have a crafter it is so much less of a hassle to get stuff because you can just fob that off on someone else rather than go "Ugh now Tim's got to go on his magic bauble roadshow to get enough cheer points to finish the dining tables that will, in ten sessions, result in my sword".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Transient People posted:

This shouldn't be the case at all, though. Assuming a standard maxed out pool (dex 5, melee 5, specialty 1, artifact weapon), a heavy weapon has even odds of hitting a Defence of 7, the highest you can get (and only for Parry), if you stunt at all. Against Dodge, your odds are even better than that because it caps one point lower and requires the use of Drifting Leaf Elusion to equalize. Or are you assuming charm use here? Because that should pretty much always favor attackers over defenders, barring some tricky charms like Hail Shattering Practice.

Lemme dig up the stuff I put on anydice, apologies in advance for lack of punctuation/capitalization:

me posted:

if you assume maxed/equal stats, medium vs. heavy artifact weapons, and heavy artifact armor, and full excellencies, and like excellent strike + hail-shattering practice on both sides, you're looking at

Medium: 22 dice + 1autosuccess, 17 raw damage with overwhelming 4, parry 12, soak 16
Heavy: 20 dice + 1autosuccess, 19 raw damage with overwhelming 5, parry 11, soak 16

if the attacker gets to reroll 1s but loses a success for every 2, then your expected value per die is uhh, 4/9ths? (+5/9 for 7,8,9,10,10, -1/9 for the 2) so on average, the medium guy is scoring 10.7... successes, and his damage starts at 4 and only increases past that if he gets 16 successes or more. the heavy guy is scoring 8.8... successes, but rolling 5 damage dice on any hit at all, but he only starts getting more than minimum damage dice on a hit with 15 net successes or better

according to anydice.com, medium has a ~52.58% chance to hit heavy, while heavy has a ~33.05% chance to hit medium. heavy has a 43.22% chance to hit himself. 11% of the medium weapon user's attacks will be accurate enough that he deals more than minimum damage, while 10% of the heavy weapon's attackers will do more than minimum. this is the code i used

output 20d{-1,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,2}+1 named "heavy artifact weapon"
output 22d{-1,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,2}+1 named "medium artifact weapon"

if you take away excellencies and just assume excellent strike versus hail-shattering practice, you get like a 71% hit chance for medium versus a 47% hit chance for heavy. it's 71 versus 40 if you take away charms entirely and just assume two armed, armored solars are taking measured swings at each other robotically

Sorry, I guess it's more like 70/50 or 70/40 rather than 60/30, and the gap closes a bit to 50/30 if charms are in play, but I would never, ever put myself on the worse side of those odds.

I assumed two people with 5s everywhere and top-tier artifact equipment, and then scoped out how it looked when no one was using charms, when everyone was only using full excellencies, and everyone was using full excellencies AND excellent strike vs. hail-shattering practice. This was me making an attempt to prove to someone else that heavy weapons were on par with medium weapons, and, well, I didn't come out looking good.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

This was me making an attempt to prove to someone else that heavy weapons were on par with medium weapons, and, well, I didn't come out looking good.

Maybe you should've asked Transient People for tips to win that argument. He seems pretty on the ball.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Lemme dig up the stuff I put on anydice, apologies in advance for lack of punctuation/capitalization:

Sorry, I guess it's more like 70/50 or 70/40 rather than 60/30, and the gap closes a bit to 50/30 if charms are in play, but I would never, ever put myself on the worse side of those odds.

I assumed two people with 5s everywhere and top-tier artifact equipment, and then scoped out how it looked when no one was using charms, when everyone was only using full excellencies, and everyone was using full excellencies AND excellent strike vs. hail-shattering practice. This was me making an attempt to prove to someone else that heavy weapons were on par with medium weapons, and, well, I didn't come out looking good.

Assuming full excellency dice for anything but a Holy Rider build isn't a good idea in general. Mote efficiency is too huge to go overspending like that for anything but extremely important attacks, like counters, clashes and decisives. I'd do something more like, say...Hailshattering Practice (e1) vs Excellent Strike, or EStrike vs Drifting Leaf Elusion, which is generally much closer to how actual fights play out. I would also not assume maxed stats on both sides in general, because Stamina is a bad deal unless you go all-in on Resistance for EGT mote-generation, and Strength offers a bit more bang for the buck plus can be pushed higher (thanks to ISE), but that's honestly quibbling at that point. The main thing is that assuming maxed out pools is something that's pretty heavy theorycraft, at least according to my play experience. Other players can weigh in with their own experiences if they've seen significantly different results, but I've found that motes are too precious a resource to just burn yourself out unless you face opposition that outmatches you.

EDIT: There is also the matter of how Dodge pays through the nose to wear heavy armor, due to needing to use Shadow Over Water OR invest in Resistance to cancel mobility penalties, which isn't reflected in that analysis either, but this is pretty complicated stuff and I totally understand sticking to one starting case first before branching out.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 17, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Transient People posted:

Assuming full excellency dice for anything but a Holy Rider build isn't a good idea in general. Mote efficiency is too huge to go overspending like that for anything but extremely important attacks, like counters, clashes and decisives. I'd do something more like, say...Hailshattering Practice (e1) vs Excellent Strike, or EStrike vs Drifting Leaf Elusion, which is generally much closer to how actual fights play out. I would also not assume maxed stats on both sides in general, because Stamina is a bad deal unless you go all-in on Resistance for EGT mote-generation, and Strength offers a bit more bang for the buck plus can be pushed higher (thanks to ISE), but that's honestly quibbling at that point. The main thing is that assuming maxed out pools is something that's pretty heavy theorycraft, at least according to my play experience. Other players can weigh in with their own experiences if they've seen significantly different results, but I've found that motes are too precious a resource to just burn yourself out unless you face opposition that outmatches you.

I tried it with no charms and with the basic efficiency-boosting charms but no excellencies. I couldn't find a case in which there wasn't at least a 20 percentage point difference between the medium weapon user's ability to hit the heavy weapon user and vice versa. Even if there was a 10% difference on some third target and self-defense wasn't a concern at all, the incredibly marginal damage advantage the heavy weapon offers is just not attractive in the least.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I tried it with no charms and with the basic efficiency-boosting charms but no excellencies. I couldn't find a case in which there wasn't at least a 20 percentage point difference between the medium weapon user's ability to hit the heavy weapon user and vice versa. Even if there was a 10% difference on some third target and self-defense wasn't a concern at all, the incredibly marginal damage advantage the heavy weapon offers is just not attractive in the least.

I don't disagree with that. Heavy weapons are definitely slightly disadvantaged compared to Mediums for the most part (ability to win decisive clashes aside). I'd always extend the benefits of Relentless and Defensive to my players in any game I ran. They do a decent job of equalizing the weapon categories while allowing them to retain their niches of 'accurate, defensive, powerful' in play.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

spectralent posted:

Yeah. I mean the biggest issue is that if you have a crafter it is so much less of a hassle to get stuff because you can just fob that off on someone else rather than go "Ugh now Tim's got to go on his magic bauble roadshow to get enough cheer points to finish the dining tables that will, in ten sessions, result in my sword".

Also, even if you do want to play a crafter, the stupidly elaborate set of mechanical doodads means it's basically impossible to figure out your success rate ahead of time without (a) having a statistics degree or (b) just doing brute force dice simulations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
When we were playing with a craft character we just houseruled that the little piddle things you had to craft in order to get your craft points (or whatever they're called) could be objects that were part of the end thing you were banking your points to make. Like if you wanted to make a house or whatever you could make a bunch of furniture, etc That way it was less like "Steve goes off an makes a bunch of helmets until he suddenly has the inspiration to make boat" or whatever the default WoW-esque system is. It's not a huge change but it was enough of a thematic shift that it worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

When we were playing with a craft character we just houseruled that the little piddle things you had to craft in order to get your craft points (or whatever they're called) could be objects that were part of the end thing you were banking your points to make. Like if you wanted to make a house or whatever you could make a bunch of furniture, etc That way it was less like "Steve goes off an makes a bunch of helmets until he suddenly has the inspiration to make boat" or whatever the default WoW-esque system is. It's not a huge change but it was enough of a thematic shift that it worked for me.

The system's actually far more annoying than that in that you're meant to not go off and make things in a cave, you're meant to make little tidbits that're meaningfully relevant to people like some kind of bizarre craft gremlin haunting your city. The rules are there to encourage you to eat up spotlight time doing pointless bullshit before you're allowed to fill your niche.

• Locked thread