Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
On the other hand, there's like 50k mines at the Croatian border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Crossposting from the EE thread:

Probably the last piece of news I'm reading today, but a news portal's journalists on site say that the whole riot thing broke out due to a misunderstanding: police opened the gates to let in a couple of families with small children, and the crowd moved in assuming it's open for everyone. Police tried to control the crowd (these guys aren't really versed in such situations, so I guess someone made a hasty decision), and the rest is history.

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

waitwhatno posted:

Something like half of Syria's population lives in refugee camps outside the country. These people are coming here because they don't want to rot away in these horrifying camps for the rest of their lives. What's wrong with that?

Hundreds of millions, possibly billions of people are much worse off than those in Turkish refugee camps.

Do they all get to come to Europe? Does there have to be war where you're from, or is the possibility of starvation enough? If we're morally obliged to accept anyone who makes it here, why aren't we morally obliged to find anyone with a worse living standard than us and actively bring them here? Do we have to keep doing so until our standard of living is equalised with the rest of the world?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nermal posted:

Do we have to keep doing so until our standard of living is equalised with the rest of the world?

Globalization is inevitable

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

The problem re: family reunification isn't money so much as it is permission. Travel (legal travel) is relatively cheap and may even be covered (depending on country of refuge, refugee status etc).

In refugee cases, permission is easy to get for direct relatives, but a)these are Syrians/Afghans so you have to imagine there are tons of cousins and in-laws and b)you still need the money to get the rest of the family smuggled out at least as far as Turkey, which government channels won't cover. It doesn't matter because they don't have the option, but if I had to earn $10K doing menial labor the US is a much better place to do that in a hurry than Europe.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Jim DiGriz posted:

Probably the last piece of news I'm reading today, but a news portal's journalists on site say that the whole riot thing broke out due to a misunderstanding: police opened the gates to let in a couple of families with small children, and the crowd moved in assuming it's open for everyone. Police tried to control the crowd (these guys aren't really versed in such situations, so I guess someone made a hasty decision), and the rest is history.

It was because we hate their freedom.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

my dad posted:

Crossposting from the EE thread:

I made an inquiry a bit ago that got lost in the shuffle. Why wasn't Romania already a major conduit? Even more lovely mountains and less access to the more profitable places to work? (Although Poland, spiked pig heads notwithstanding, could probably benefit from manual laborers working to raise the locals' living standards...)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I made an inquiry a bit ago that got lost in the shuffle. Why wasn't Romania already a major conduit? Even more lovely mountains and less access to the more profitable places to work? (Although Poland, spiked pig heads notwithstanding, could probably benefit from manual laborers working to raise the locals' living standards...)

Short answer: Schengen - they ain't in it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nermal posted:

Hundreds of millions, possibly billions of people are much worse off than those in Turkish refugee camps.

Do they all get to come to Europe? Does there have to be war where you're from, or is the possibility of starvation enough? If we're morally obliged to accept anyone who makes it here, why aren't we morally obliged to find anyone with a worse living standard than us and actively bring them here? Do we have to keep doing so until our standard of living is equalised with the rest of the world?

In fact hundreds of millions, possibly billions of people are not much worse off then Syrians. Most who do not reside in Turkish refugee camps but in the cities towns and villages of Turkey and other countries they are in.

Why do developing countries have to shoulder the blame for the refugees of the world? Why isn't Europe, who frankly is more to blame for the current situation then Lebanon or Jordan or Iran, can say "go gently caress yourself" to refugees but the other countries just have to take it in insanely greater numbers then is expected of Europe, while having a fraction of the resources or the population?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Could you link me to either? Having trouble finding it itt

Agh, I can't find it now either. Did I even read it in this thread or the Middle East one before discussion fully moved here? Someone was asking about it on these forums and someone on the ground over there replied back.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

my dad posted:

My Romanian buddy suggests the economy is currently two bollocks short of a money shot at the moment, too.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tesseraction posted:

Agh, I can't find it now either. Did I even read it in this thread or the Middle East one before discussion fully moved here? Someone was asking about it on these forums and someone on the ground over there replied back.

I found reference to it here: http://eaworldview.com/2015/09/syria-and-beyond-feature-9-myths-about-refugees-and-how-to-answer-them/

I'm not sure how feasible it is though without anything else backing it up.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah that's hardly citable evidence, but then I guess the bits I was thinking back to were primarily first-hand sources.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In addition to what my dad said, the natural border between Bulgaria and Romania is the Danube. Crossing rivers is a much trickier proposition than hopping a land border.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nermal posted:

Well when you join America in loving up the world, that hosed-up world becomes your responsibility. Why do you think you deserve a better life than a Syrian refugee?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Radbot posted:

Well when you join America in loving up the world, that hosed-up world becomes your responsibility. Why do you think you deserve a better life than a Syrian refugee?

White skin. :ssh:

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

DarkCrawler posted:

In fact hundreds of millions, possibly billions of people are not much worse off then Syrians. Most who do not reside in Turkish refugee camps but in the cities towns and villages of Turkey and other countries they are in.

Plenty of people worse off. About 200M people going hungry right now in sub-Saharan Africa, maybe 800-900M worldwide.

Radbot posted:

Well when you join America in loving up the world, that hosed-up world becomes your responsibility.

Utterly ludicrous to suggest that any country in Europe has 'joined' America in loving up the world. I'll be generous and give the UK and France a 5% share of responsibility. You can start the campaign to pin the rise of ISIS on Hungary or Serbia if you like.

Radbot posted:

Why do you think you deserve a better life than a Syrian refugee?

Luck!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nermal posted:

Plenty of people worse off. About 200M people going hungry right now in sub-Saharan Africa, maybe 800-900M worldwide.

Are you seeing those people coming here, asking for help? Or are we helping them in other ways? I believe there has been quite concrete and massive efforts worldwide to alleviate world hunger by Western (and other) countries.

Again, why does Lebanon or Jordan have to take care of refugees while European countries do not?

Nermal posted:

Utterly ludicrous to suggest that any country in Europe has 'joined' America in loving up the world. I'll be generous and give the UK and France a 5% share of responsibility. You can start the campaign to pin the rise of ISIS on Hungary or Serbia if you like.

What countries invaded Iraq? What countries invaded Afghanistan? Why is Iran going to have to take care of the refugees caused by those countries?

Why is it OK for Hungarians to be refugees in living memory, seeking help from other countries, but not for Syrians?

And LOL at the European countries not being responsible for whole other long list of poo poo in the Middle East beyond the most recent American excursion. The world wasn't created on 2003.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 16, 2015

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
A Belgian tv channel went to people who posted bad facebook comments about the refugees and bradcast their faces nationally along with their facebook messsages.

http://www.vier.be/karenendecoster/videos/het-allemaal-stront-elke-bootvluchteling-mag-verzuipen/1238119

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Wrongthink criminals must be punished.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

my dad posted:

Oh huh, for some reason I thought Hungary wasn't either.

I guess my question would apply to Serbia then, but SaltyJesus covered that!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Radbot posted:

Well, if you're going to question who deserves a high standard of living, you're either going to have to rack & stack everyone's contributions to mankind, and no one really wants to do that because, well, a lot of reasons. Past that, it's real hard to blame America for "loving up the world" when a lot of chronic problems existed long before America was a leading nation, and even novel problems are in many cases unrelated to our actions. It's a lazy attempt to assign guilt. If you're going to go with the idea that every single human being has an equal right to the resources of the first world, you're going to run into the problem that the resources of the entire world cannot support the standard of living that people want for themselves, which in turn gets into a lot of those questions people prefer not to confront.

DarkCrawler posted:

What countries invaded Iraq? What countries invaded Afghanistan? Why is Iran going to have to take care of the refugees caused by those countries?

Why is it OK for Hungarians to be refugees in living memory, seeking help from other countries, but not for Syrians?

And LOL at the European countries not being responsible for whole other long list of poo poo in the Middle East beyond the most recent American excursion. The world wasn't created on 2003.
Wait, how does the US and NATO fighting a war in Afghanistan that can be laid squarely at the feet of the Taliban make Europe responsible for Syrian refugees? I'd argue that it doesn't even make us responsible for Afghan economic refugees, given that a shitton of blood and treasure was spent to make the country safe and livable for Afghans.

chessmaster13
Jan 10, 2015

The Belgian posted:

A Belgian tv channel went to people who posted bad facebook comments about the refugees and bradcast their faces nationally along with their facebook messsages.

http://www.vier.be/karenendecoster/videos/het-allemaal-stront-elke-bootvluchteling-mag-verzuipen/1238119

That's a quite hosed up thing to do.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, if you're going to question who deserves a high standard of living, you're either going to have to rack & stack everyone's contributions to mankind, and no one really wants to do that because, well, a lot of reasons.

Or?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

chessmaster13 posted:

That's a quite hosed up thing to do.

They're just feeling guilty because they killed a democratic leader in Africa in living memory.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Has anyone posted this yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWAIKoatWM

It is a documentary on muslims in Germany who refuse to assimilate and a comparison with Canada. I have no idea what ZDF is but the intro suggests they are left leaning. Could be Nazis for all I know.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Wait, how does the US and NATO fighting a war in Afghanistan that can be laid squarely at the feet of the Taliban make Europe responsible for Syrian refugees?

Indeed. The war in Afghanistan, which was initiated by NATO, can be laid squarely at the feet of the Taliban.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chomskyan posted:

Indeed. The war in Afghanistan, which was initiated by NATO, can be laid squarely at the feet of the Taliban.

Yes, we just invaded Afghanistan for no reason. Absolutely. :iiam:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Has anyone posted this yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWAIKoatWM

It is a documentary on muslims in Germany who refuse to assimilate and a comparison with Canada. I have no idea what ZDF is but the intro suggests they are left leaning. Could be Nazis for all I know.

Germany has always had a problem with the Turkish population. It's so bad that in textbooks I have from the 90s designed for young children it discussed the Turkish issue (including sections on knife crime!). The large immigration number is from a Guest-Worker program in the 50s/60s (think worker visas) and was helped by America's intervention in Turkey over Cold War alliances.

The lesson from this is that treating the Turkish population as 'Guest-Workers' meant they were considered temporary, and so no intention of integration was considered because they were expected to gently caress off later, but this didn't happen across all of the immigrant population. Or, in short: don't integrate by ghettoising.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DarkCrawler posted:

Why do developing countries have to shoulder the blame for the refugees of the world? Why isn't Europe, who frankly is more to blame for the current situation then Lebanon or Jordan or Iran, can say "go gently caress yourself" to refugees but the other countries just have to take it in insanely greater numbers then is expected of Europe, while having a fraction of the resources or the population?

Well, first, most of this so called Europe is actually a victim of historical imperialism, and as such bears no responsibility for the Middle East. That includes first and foremost Hungary who ended up bearing the brunt of the problem at the worst possible time by no guilt on their part. Second, if there's one country that ruined the fragile balance of the ME, it's the US, who have categorically refused to deal with the crisis.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yes, we just invaded Afghanistan for no reason. Absolutely. :iiam:

Yeah, loving Afghanistan hiding those responsible for 9/11. Fuckers deserve this instability.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Second, if there's one country that ruined the fragile balance of the ME, it's the US, who have categorically refused to deal with the crisis.
Still waiting for that explanation of how the United States was responsible for Assad starting a military crackdown on his protesting citizens.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dead Reckoning posted:

Still waiting for that explanation of how the United States was responsible for Assad starting a military crackdown on his protesting citizens.

Give it a rest, this is no longer about Assad. The Americans aren't responsible for literally every single thing in the region, but they are more culpable than any other country in the world.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

steinrokkan posted:

Give it a rest, this is no longer about Assad. The Americans aren't responsible for literally every single thing in the region, but they are more culpable than any other country in the world.

Maybe you should petition Russia to accept refugees.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One could also point out that while Assad was being a dick for quite a while, America allowed the civil war to propagate in 2012 despite Russian attempts to diplomatically stop it.

This is not to say Russia weren't up to something, but frankly are we going to act like the current situation is the unequivocally better one?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

Maybe you should petition Russia to accept refugees.

Russia should accept refugees, being another major participant, but I'm not sure why you posted this non sequitur.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Even ignoring my previous post, Russia should accept refugees on the basis that their UN Security Council votes mean they prefer the current situation. In which case they should commit to that and accept the people they're causing the diaspora of.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Russia should accept refugees, being another major participant, but I'm not sure why you posted this non sequitur.

Aren't you Danish? If you're so worked up about this, maybe you could work towards getting your own rear end-backwards country to do its share instead of posting shrill historically-illiterate complaints about how the US ruined the middle east. What you're doing right now is about as righteous as posting about how Lloyd George needs to change his mideast policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

Aren't you Danish? If you're so worked up about this, maybe you could work towards getting your own rear end-backwards country to do its share instead of posting shrill historically-illiterate complaints about how the US ruined the middle east. What you're doing right now is about as righteous as posting about how Lloyd George needs to change his mideast policy.

i'm Czech, and while my rear end-backwards country is being pissy about admitting refugees, at least it can argue with being relatively poor compared to the likes of, well, Denmark. Also my nation was no more autonomous than any one of the Arab countries at the time of Lloyd George's rule, being an involuntary subject of the Austrian Empire, so...

• Locked thread