Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

semper wifi posted:

Be honest here guys for average people, people who don't consume a steady diet of ultra-violent videos from the middle east - a beeping case with exposed circuit broads, wires poking out, a red LED readout - that's all going to say "bomb" to them.
Be honest, average people and above average people were able to figure out it was not a bomb. Whats your excuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

So the kid's got the knowhow to put this thing together in 20 minutes but doesn't know how to turn it off? I'm not even saying I agree with the bomb hoax thing, I think kid doing dumb thing innocently is a much more realistic explanation. Also the amount of explosives in the thing is irrelevant, the shoe bomber just had his shoes stuffed full of gunpowder and he still got life.

so now you're blaming the kid for it beeping? just how desperate are you for this to not be a massive overreaction from some bigoted cops

semper wifi posted:

Be honest here guys for average people, people who don't consume a steady diet of ultra-violent videos from the middle east - a beeping case with exposed circuit broads, wires poking out, a red LED readout - that's all going to say "bomb" to them.

if you think this looks like a bomb then i bet you don't know how to change a fuse or a flat tire. usually bombs require a nonzero amount of explosives but what do i know about extremely basic electronics commonplace throughout the western world and easily purchsed for pennies at hobbyist stores

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

semper wifi posted:

Blowing right by the science nerd who likes to build poo poo that all the 'adults' in the room interact with on a daily basis and not stopping 'til you reach terrorism.

A glorious post, well done!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

semper wifi posted:

So the kid's got the knowhow to put this thing together in 20 minutes but doesn't know how to turn it off? I'm not even saying I agree with the bomb hoax thing, I think kid doing dumb thing innocently is a much more realistic explanation. Also the amount of explosives in the thing is irrelevant, the shoe bomber just had his shoes stuffed full of gunpowder and he still got life.

This is a piss poor argument, even coming from you.

What's your hand waving for adults not being able to force quit an app on their phone that autoplays an advertisement? What about not being able to reliably put their poo poo on silent/vibrate?

They're grown-ups! They know how things work!

Acting like you're the king of poo poo mountain as if you've never had an alarm clock go off that you forgot about.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

semper wifi posted:

He did know how to turn it off, from the story it sounds like he just didn't turn it off or forgot to. He turned off the beeping and then showed the teacher.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

semper wifi posted:

Charging him was excessive but I don't find the thinking behind the "hoax bomb" thing unreasonable. "Hey this kid's got a beeping box with a time readout on it, that happens to look pretty much like a stereotypical movie bomb, showing it off after someone he ostensibly respects told him explicitly not to, I wonder why"

You're making up poo poo that didn't happen.

He wasn't "showing it off after someone he ostensibly respects told him explicitly not " the clock rang on accident during a class, so he showed the teacher what it was.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so now you're blaming the kid for it beeping? just how desperate are you for this to not be a massive overreaction from some bigoted cops

if you think this looks like a bomb then i bet you don't know how to change a fuse or a flat tire. usually bombs require a nonzero amount of explosives but what do i know about extremely basic electronics commonplace throughout the western world and easily purchsed for pennies at hobbyist stores

Also notice the power cord for scale. It is the size of a pencil case.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it is pretty funny that the staunch cop fellators in this thread are literally resorting to the defense that the Irving PD are so mentally deficient that they can't tell the difference between a bomb and an alarm clock

welcome to the winning team, friends

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

semper wifi posted:

So the kid's got the knowhow to put this thing together in 20 minutes but doesn't know how to turn it off?

Where the gently caress did you get this from?

The sequence of events is:
Clock is in kid's bag
Clock beeps
Kid turns it off
Teacher asks what that was that beeped
Kid shows clock to teacher

At what stage does this suggest to you that the kid didn't know how to turn it off, especially when the known events have the teacher asking about it explicitly after it has been turned off?

EDIT: For reference, a marketing photo of the pencil case in question.

For the comprehension-challenged among us, those not, in fact, giant novelty pencils in the case, but standard size writing utensils.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 16, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

it is pretty funny that the staunch cop fellators in this thread are literally resorting to the defense that the Irving PD are so mentally deficient that they can't tell the difference between a bomb and an alarm clock

welcome to the winning team, friends

But that's the insanity of all this. At no point are the cops claiming they thought it was a bomb. They're just claiming they thought it was a hoax bomb and thus that's enough for it to be a hoax bomb.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Trabisnikof posted:

But that's the insanity of all this. At no point are the cops claiming they thought it was a bomb. They're just claiming they thought it was a hoax bomb and thus that's enough for it to be a hoax bomb.

When they have been clear that the kid never ever ever said anything other than it being a clock.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

highly sophisticated terrorist device loaded with toxic shrapnel confiscated from area jihadist

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Trabisnikof posted:

Aka: "stop resisting arrest" to a literal child's homemade digital clock

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Dead Reckoning posted:

They were told that they needed to transport McKenna to Alexandria, at which point she was likely going to be hospitalized. Previously, they had been forced to restrain her for hours at a time when she fought with deputies. Can sheriffs legally sedate people in their custody outside a clinical setting? I don't think it's reasonable to insist that the entire detention system wait for a delusional person to decide to comply of their own free will, especially since uncooperative prisoners are regularly restrained and transported without killing them.

Somehow people other than the prison guards from the cop who initially arrested her to her being sent to a hospital then to jail were all able to move her without incident. They weren't. They kept a schizophrenic alone in a cell for 8(?) days and when they did show up they did so in a way a that fulfills a schizophrenics nightmare of 'them' coming for her. And let me know how not moving her that instant would bring the "Entire detention system" to a halt because she was there for 8.5 days. I'm going to go out on a limb and say someone along the line would be willing to wait for a mentally ill patient to be seen by a doctor or nurse because they were in the middle of an episode.

Do you really think its unreasonable for anyone involved to have said "Ok, she's losing it, maybe we need to back off until this can be brought under control". Or would that bring the entire jail to standstill. Which is the point made over and over and over that keeps getting ignored. Why the gently caress is escalating the the situation always the answer and why is it ok instead of trying to, I dunno, not zapping and wrestling a crazy women until shes dead?

quote:

As for your second point: in many jobs, being able to say that you did everything according to established procedure is often the only thing that will save you if there is a massive gently caress-up resulting in a loss of life. Aviation, for example.
It's not a murder. They didn't beat her, they didn't torture her. There was no intent to kill or injure, and death was not a foreseeable outcome of their actions. Their actions were not unnecessary or sadistic. Stop using inaccurate, emotive words to try to shut down people who disagree with you.

Of course you'd pick aviation. Yes if a pilot does everything correctly but a mechanical failure causes a crash of course its a valid excuse but even in that situation you'd expect a pilot to at least try to get things under control and not just "Well everything seems to be going wrong but I'll just keep following orders". None of these guards noticed shocking her was not having the desired effect of somehow making a mentally ill person compliant so they just keep shocking her, you don't think maybe they should have thought "Maybe shocking her isn't helping?".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Look at this operator here.

All my suitcase bomb experience is from TV shows, so yeah.

What seal team are you on?

Well, the first problem is "Where's the explosives?"

If you think a jumble of wires and some electronics you can't readily identify attached to a digital clock readout is a bomb, I hope to God you never take the casing off your alarm clock.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Phone posted:

Aka: "stop resisting arrest" to a literal child's homemade digital clock

He isn't a child. He's 14, more than old enough to be tried as an adult.

poo poo 12 is old enough to be rolled up on by cops and shot with no hesitation if you're a minority.

14 is easily old enough to arrest for making a clock as one.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Well yeah it's 100% his fault the thing beeped, he did build it after all. And how many ways do you want me to say that I agree with you, it was an overreaction? I just think it was less of one than you do. If I took something that looked like that into the post office I'd expect to be arrested.

Phone posted:

This is a piss poor argument, even coming from you.
What's your hand waving for adults not being able to force quit an app on their phone that autoplays an advertisement? What about not being able to reliably put their poo poo on silent/vibrate?
They're grown-ups! They know how things work!
Acting like you're the king of poo poo mountain as if you've never had an alarm clock go off that you forgot about.

Dexo posted:

He did know how to turn it off, from the story it sounds like he just didn't turn it off or forgot to. He turned off the beeping and then showed the teacher.

Like I said before I agree with both of you but the other conclusion, that he let it go off on purpose so he could show it off again, that's not an unreasonable one in my mind.

Toasticle posted:

Do you really think its unreasonable for anyone involved to have said "Ok, she's losing it, maybe we need to back off until this can be brought under control". Or would that bring the entire jail to standstill. Which is the point made over and over and over that keeps getting ignored. Why the gently caress is escalating the the situation always the answer and why is it ok instead of trying to, I dunno, not zapping and wrestling a crazy women until shes dead?

From what I saw on the video the situation was out of control from the moment they opened the door, like once that happened and she came out there's no way of de-escalating since they'd have to wrestle just as hard to get her back in. Honestly I thought the guys in that video did pretty well considering their entire job is to yank people like that out of cells. Also, once someone's at the feces-smearing stage is there any alternative? Can a psychologist come in and somehow get them to cooperate when they're that far gone?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im gonna hold my hand up, thats a lot smaller than what i originally thought it was. I had the impression it was laptop sized.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Forums user semper wifi's name is a distressing combination of a militant slogan combined with the specter of modern technology. Modern technology, as we all know, has been used maim and murder people in recent times, and this particular technology ("wifi") refers to wireless communications, of which can be used to send a signal to a remote explosive device for the purposes of terrorism. Even if forums user semper wifi has not constructed a bomb, his name points to a willingness to do so and is clearly intended to frighten and distress the local Something Awful population.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

Well yeah it's 100% his fault the thing beeped, he did build it after all. And how many ways do you want me to say that I agree with you, it was an overreaction? I just think it was less of one than you do. If I took something that looked like that into the post office I'd expect to be arrested.

do you often bring your homemade extra credit projects to the post office? i'm glad you think it was an overrreaction, now i'm just curious how your ability to identify basic electronic devices is so deficient and why you think a 14 year old boy doing completely normal things at school is at all responsible for getting himself profiled by a racist police department

semper wifi posted:

Like I said before I agree with both of you but the other conclusion, that he let it go off on purpose so he could show it off again, that's not an unreasonable one in my mind.

it's not so much unreasonable as it is factually incorrect, or, in other words, entirely something you made up in order to make this sequence of events fit within your pre-established racist worldview

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

semper wifi posted:

Everything isn't a conspiracy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Toasticle posted:

And let me know how not moving her that instant would bring the "Entire detention system" to a halt because she was there for 8.5 days. I'm going to go out on a limb and say someone along the line would be willing to wait for a mentally ill patient to be seen by a doctor or nurse because they were in the middle of an episode.

5 days in solitary confirmed.

Actually they were moving her to another jail, explicitly because after being in there for 5 days, she'd started "throwing urine under her door". So they were moving her to Alexandria because they were sick of waiting for them to come pick her up.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

semper wifi posted:

Honestly I thought the guys in that video did pretty well considering their entire job is to yank people like that out of cells.

She died. How in the gently caress is that "doing pretty well"? "Heck of a job Brownie"?

Trabisnikof posted:

5 days in solitary confirmed.

Actually they were moving her to another jail, explicitly because after being in there for 5 days, she'd started "throwing urine under her door". So they were moving her to Alexandria because they were sick of waiting for them to come pick her up.

This just gets more hosed up. "Mentally ill patient is annoying us, get rid of her". If a mentally ill person has reached the bodily waste throwing stage they should have called a doctor in before they even opened the door to begin with.

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 16, 2015

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Spun Dog posted:

"Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great."

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/644193755814342656

I really wish he ended that tweet with "again"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

semper wifi posted:

But he didn't bring it into the post office and it was specifically for showing to a teacher who would appreciate electronics. Actually taking things in context instead of pretending that things happened in a vacuum makes your entire post worthless.

Imagine seeing someone pull out a transparent plastic water gun at the local shooting range and immediately killing him in self-defense. "What did he expect was going to happen when he pulled out a gun near me?! You'd be fine with shooting him if he whipped out a gun at the post office!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:allears:

Le Jig is Sky High

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 16, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If they'd called the cops and the cops said, "lol no, that's not a bomb, call us when another teacher fucks a student" it probably would have been fine. At that point, caution was fine.

But instead the cops arrested him, interogated him without notifying anyone, and treated him like a criminal when they knew it wasn't a bomb and knew no one had said he said it was a bomb.
Then when the police cleared him despite being raging assholes, the school then suspended him.
There is literally no justification for this going beyond the police saying "not a bomb, careful who you show this to kid."

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

This is a really stupid argument for everyone involved considering the only difference between a bomb and a homemade alarm clock is the addition of the explosive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jarmak posted:

This is a really stupid argument for everyone involved considering the only difference between a bomb and a homemade alarm clock is the addition of the explosive.
That's the only difference between my Timex and a bomb. Or my cell phone and a bomb.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jarmak posted:

A bomb would probably also not have a homemade alarm clock, so that's another difference. So really he difference would be that one was a homemade alarm clock and the other was... a bomb. But yes, only two real differences between the two, I agree. It's kind of important differences though!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Jarmak posted:

:laffo:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

nm posted:

That's the only difference between my Timex and a bomb. Or my cell phone and a bomb.

Your Timex and your cellphone don't belong to a Muslim, presumably.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

jfood posted:

Your Timex and your cellphone don't belong to a Muslim, presumably.

You don't know me.

Attn NSA: This is a non-muslim posting on an internet comedy website.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

nm posted:

After Lethal Weapon 2, We should question any Muslim that uses a public or private bathroom.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jarmak posted:

laffo

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

After Lethal Weapon 2, We should question any Muslim that uses a public or private bathroom.

True. Muslims should have to street poo poo or they're osama.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Jarmak posted:

C'mon son. You don't have to go though life afraid of everything.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

He's right though, the only difference between a bomb and a not-bomb are the explodey bits. If I put a hand grenade on my pastrami on rye, instead of the spicy mustard, then take it down to the post office...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jarmak posted:

"The only difference between a bomb and an alarm clock is a bomb."

poo poo, what do you mean I can "stop being afraid of my smoke detector"?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Regardless of any other factors (like how loving stupid the cops were here) interrogating a kid without parents or counsel present is just unacceptable. Under any circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Regardless of any other factors (like how loving stupid the cops were here) interrogating a kid without parents or counsel present is just unacceptable. Under any circumstances.

This is by far the most egregiously terrible part to me. What happens to the kid when they get him to say "Yeah, I wanted to make people think it was a bomb" because they made him think it'd make things easier for him, whether through lying or trickery? What defense do the "well he should've known his rights!" people have when we're talking about a minor the police cuffed and took from school without telling his parents?

• Locked thread