Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

maduin posted:

I have no sympathy for any websites that bitch about content blockers. Most of them aren't available in stores, but I'm running Crystal right now and it's pretty loving great.

Yeah, agreed on both accounts. Content blockers is making mobile browsing 10x more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Unless there's a setting somewhere I am missing Crystal doesn't stop Youtube ads in Safari. Waiting on Purify.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I am on Jailbroken 5S on 8.4, and want to go to 9 tomorrow. When I opened iTunes to download 9, it says I need to update to 8.4.1 instead. How do I go straight to 9? Do I need to download the .ipsw?

Edit: Nevermind, clicking check for update forced it to 9

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 16, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got Purify $3.99. Does nicely on Youtube vids as well!. :D

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

So Crystal and Purify are the two best from what I'm hearing? Crystal is free right now though?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Purify is coming up in :canada: now.

Gonna give it a go too, sadly not free (4.60).

IllegallySober posted:

So Crystal and Purify are the two best from what I'm hearing? Crystal is free right now though?

Crystal is free, but from what I can tell they're the only two available right now. In Canada, at least.

EDIT: Running both, Safari seems even faster (loading no ads, right?), so may as well run both?

Big differences I notice:

Crystal has the option to send them offending sites, and in 7 days they get added to a blacklist. No whitelist option.

Purify has no option to add to a blacklist, but DOES have a whitelist option...if you care about that sort of thing.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 16, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

IllegallySober posted:

Crystal is free, but 2 youtube videos had the words Advertisement on them and locked up/didn't play at all. A third video played an advertisement. Maybe it does nothing to Youtubes. Maybe it doesn't work.

Purify does what Crystal does, but also works on Youtube Ads. (Confirmed by me.) $3.99

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Feenix posted:

Crystal is free, but 2 youtube videos had the words Advertisement on them and locked up/didn't play at all. A third video played an advertisement. Maybe it does nothing to Youtubes. Maybe it doesn't work.

Purify does what Crystal does, but also works on Youtube Ads. (Confirmed by me.) $3.99

Cool, I grabbed Crystal for now. I can always grab Purify later if that turns out better. Thanks for the feedback.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can't use content blockers on an iPad 3 :rip:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, they don't work on anything that doesn't have a 64bit processor. Sorry. :(

IllegallySober posted:

Cool, I grabbed Crystal for now. I can always grab Purify later if that turns out better. Thanks for the feedback.

Its going to be interesting to see who comes out on top. Crystal seems keen building a better blacklist, Purify is all about whitelisting the sites you like (not sure how they add to their own blacklist?). There's all the other announced yet unreleased blockers too.

EDIT: This all sounds bizarrely racist. :v:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 16, 2015

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

iPad 3 is literally the redheaded stepchild of iPads.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

unlawfulsoup posted:

iPad 3 is literally the redheaded stepchild of iPads.

Content blockers don't work on an iPad 4, either.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Content blockers require devices with 64-bit chips, hence the issue.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Updated to iOS 9, now can't update any apps on my 5. The Update button changes into Open after half a second. Anyone else seen that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

oversteer posted:

Updated to iOS 9, now can't update any apps on my 5. The Update button changes into Open after half a second. Anyone else seen that?

Have you tried restarting?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

oversteer posted:

I actually had this happen several times yesterday to random app updates on bog-standard 8.x on both an iphone 6 and ipad air. I think the whole app store ecosystem is going to be squirrely for the next few days.

e: on ipad, no spell gud

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 16, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sooo half my ip6 screen vertically split randomly darkened. Like if someone held a magnet to it? Not sure how that could have happened I'm not sure. Think I've had it just over a year. Anyone?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

oversteer posted:

Ya, I'm seeing that - I have 12 apps, that have updated, but still think they need updated (and I have restarted), I'm laying down to new ios day fuckery.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Is there any good reason to be on official iOS 9 as opposed to beta 9.1? I have more fun emoji than my coworkers who just updated to 9.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So with the content blockers, is there any reason to use chrome anymore or is everyone switching to safari?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nwin posted:

So with the content blockers, is there any reason to use chrome anymore or is everyone switching to safari?

The only reason to use iOS Chrome was to get your Chrome tabs passed along in the cloud. It uses the same rendering engine as Safari. That said, I seem to recall someone saying any apps using the new Safariview thing will get the content blockers, so Chrome might get that.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

The only reason to use iOS Chrome was to get your Chrome tabs passed along in the cloud. It uses the same rendering engine as Safari. That said, I seem to recall someone saying any apps using the new Safariview thing will get the content blockers, so Chrome might get that.

Yeah, Chrome won't be using that because when an app uses SarariView it can't gather any information about the session.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I also recall Chrome not being allowed to use the "fast" Webkit something or other? Only Safari had access to it, so loading pages in safari was far faster than Chrome or any 3rd party browsers.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
So how does this content blocker business work? Are they normal apps or is it some option in safari? I can't find anything

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You download the app then it'll unlock a Content Blocker in Settings > Safari to enable it. Similar to how keyboards work (a bit daft but hey)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

trilljester posted:

I also recall Chrome not being allowed to use the "fast" Webkit something or other? Only Safari had access to it, so loading pages in safari was far faster than Chrome or any 3rd party browsers.

Nah, that went out with iOS8.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bronin posted:

So how does this content blocker business work? Are they normal apps or is it some option in safari? I can't find anything

Same as third party keyboards. You download the "app" then go to settings - Safari - content blockers to enable it.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same as third party keyboards. You download the "app" then go to settings - Safari - content blockers to enable it.

Ok thanks. I couldn't seem to find crystal in the App Store but searching with Google and then getting a link to the app in The App Store worked.

Btw, did iOS 9 install two new apps that can't be deleted? Find my iPhone and find my friends just showed up on my home screen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The new notes app is supposed to have things like lists, etc, but how do you do any of it? A website I found said if you highlight multiple lines you should be have buttons over your keyboard to check for difference formatting, but I don't have anything like that. I do have the ability to insert pictures now, but no list or formatting buttons. iPhone 6 Plus here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The new notes app is supposed to have things like lists, etc, but how do you do any of it? A website I found said if you highlight multiple lines you should be have buttons over your keyboard to check for difference formatting, but I don't have anything like that. I do have the ability to insert pictures now, but no list or formatting buttons. iPhone 6 Plus here.

To format on the OSX side, you type an asterix followed by a space and it'll turn on the auto indent. To do additional levels of indenting, hit tab.

So I don't know how to do it on iOS but maybe that will give you enough of a hint.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You should have a + symbol/icon above the keyboard on the right, From there you can add lists, embed photos and scribble notes.

No idea about the formatting part, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You should have a + symbol/icon above the keyboard on the right, From there you can add lists, embed photos and scribble notes.

No idea about the formatting part, though.

Yeah, I don't have any of those on my keyboard. Weird.

xzzy posted:

To format on the OSX side, you type an asterix followed by a space and it'll turn on the auto indent. To do additional levels of indenting, hit tab.

So I don't know how to do it on iOS but maybe that will give you enough of a hint.

...are you joking or seriously suggesting that they would make keyboard shortcuts on a touch screen for formatting?

EDIT: found the solution; you can apparently only use the new features if the notes are in the iCloud folder.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 16, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bronin posted:

Ok thanks. I couldn't seem to find crystal in the App Store but searching with Google and then getting a link to the app in The App Store worked.

Btw, did iOS 9 install two new apps that can't be deleted? Find my iPhone and find my friends just showed up on my home screen.

Crystal has a dumb name because there's a million apps that come up. I found it by searching for 'crystal content'.

Pretty sure Find My iPhone/Friends apps became standard as of iOS 8.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

...are you joking or seriously suggesting that they would make keyboard shortcuts on a touch screen for formatting?

EDIT: found the solution; you can apparently only use the new features if the notes are in the iCloud folder.

gently caress you? I was just trying to help.

I figured maybe apple would parse an asterisk the same way on both platforms.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

EL BROMANCE posted:

Crystal has a dumb name because there's a million apps that come up. I found it by searching for 'crystal content'.

Pretty sure Find My iPhone/Friends apps became standard as of iOS 8.

Hmm weird. I honestly didn't have that app when I was on iOS 8.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Is it better to install the update through iTunes or through the phone? Or does it really matter?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doesn't really matter unless you want a clean install which you can only do through iTunes or don't have space for the update OTA.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Feenix posted:

YouTube in Safari right? Not the YouTube app? If the latter I'll buy it in the heartbeat.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I want to try one of the keyboard apps, which is the best regarded?

(and yeah, its taken me a year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They're all terrible because iOS is terrible at handling them.