Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

grassy gnoll posted:

I normally ask that people buy me dinner before they fist me, y'know.

How bad of gimmick idea is 5x Alpha with Autothrusters? My friend keeps buying interceptors and I keep trying to think of things to do with them.

A lot of the interceptor's advantages scale way up with PS so you basically rely on green dice and 3 hull goes FAST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Panzeh posted:

A lot of the interceptor's advantages scale way up with PS so you basically rely on green dice and 3 hull goes FAST.

Especially if any crits happen (and of course they will).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Crits should hopefully be less of a problem with the new damage deck, especially for Soontir etc.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So... what is different about the new damage deck and why is it good/bad? I see people keep mentioning it, but I'm not exactly sure what specifically they mean in terms of the cards.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The new damage deck got rid of all of the crits that would only take effect in certain situations. So, for example, the crit that removes your pilot skill/EPT is gone, since it had no effect on generic pilots, as well as the crit that gets rid of a secondary weapon.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So... what is different about the new damage deck and why is it good/bad? I see people keep mentioning it, but I'm not exactly sure what specifically they mean in terms of the cards.

You can see it here: http://imgur.com/a/TNJiY#1

In short, they've removed stuff like Munitions Failure or Injured Pilot that flat out removed stuff permanently in favour of adding more cards you can "cure" with an action (plus some minor stuff like clarifying Blinded Pilot), which is especially good for any ship that relied on a turret or any pilot that can only function by virtue of its pilot ability.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Ahh ha, ok gotcha. I did notice they had chances to flip them face down, didnt know that was new. Cool, thanks!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

How bad of gimmick idea is 5x Alpha with Autothrusters? My friend keeps buying interceptors and I keep trying to think of things to do with them.

I just want to see capital ships actually see play. I bought a Tantive IV on principle but haven't used it/have no idea when I will (hell, I haven't used most of my ships). PbP with Vassal just might be a good way to do some kind of weird long term team games.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh man, BB-8 Can do that? Oh man I'm going to run BB-8 and Push the Limit on Wedge instead of Opportunist/generic R2. Maybe. Having the extra attack die would be nice, but I don't play Imperial so I don't have an Opportunist and would have to borrow one.

Edit: Proxies, I know, but I don't like proxying :O

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 16, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I prefer to run BB-8 on a T-70, simply because being able to PTL chain a boost and barrel roll before you even perform your maneuver and then end with a focus or TL anyway is hilarious. Thanks to how it works, it's also almost impossible to actually block a T-70, and they'll get some kind of token or TL every single turn, even if they end up running into someone.

Poe with BB-8 and PTL costs the same as Wedge and Opportunist/R2 Astromech. Find a way to fit Autothrusters and laugh your way to the bank.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The FAQ and tournament rules have been updated. Biggest thing I can see is that in tournaments, if a ship is reduced to half or less total durability (hull and shields) then the ships is worth half its points (including upgrades) at the end of a match. This might put a bit of a hamper on the large ship lists that just try to hang I. At a single hull at the end.

Also, the FAQ had to list that Darth Vader is able to take the TIE X/1 title and Advanced Targeting Computer. Was there some debate about his ability to use those cards?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Orvin posted:

The FAQ and tournament rules have been updated. Biggest thing I can see is that in tournaments, if a ship is reduced to half or less total durability (hull and shields) then the ships is worth half its points (including upgrades) at the end of a match. This might put a bit of a hamper on the large ship lists that just try to hang I. At a single hull at the end.

I just saw this on facebook (posted by that new group I joined) and was going to comment on this. This seems like a pretty good rule.

Orvin posted:

Also, the FAQ had to list that Darth Vader is able to take the TIE X/1 title and Advanced Targeting Computer. Was there some debate about his ability to use those cards?

The first only because the card says "/x1", but I thought this was already settled in the FAQ. For ATC, I don't know why there would be a problem.

Edit: Oh, I guess it's a domino thing. If you can't do /x1, you don't get the slot for ATC.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The problem I have with the PtL BB-8 combo is that it stops working as soon as you K-turn or Tallon roll. After that you can't trigger BB-8 until you take a turn without using PtL, which is harder to manage. You can break off and run to distance though, but it's tricky.

Still a good combo, but when you end up stressed it feels awkward.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Nephzinho posted:

I just want to see capital ships actually see play. I bought a Tantive IV on principle but haven't used it/have no idea when I will (hell, I haven't used most of my ships). PbP with Vassal just might be a good way to do some kind of weird long term team games.

Nah, I'm right there with you. But VASSAL is painful enough as is. But maybe you'll find out!

I'm going to run a PbP game. Kai is in, because he's inured to my horrible posts at this point. Who else will enter Thunderdome?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Gate posted:

The problem I have with the PtL BB-8 combo is that it stops working as soon as you K-turn or Tallon roll. After that you can't trigger BB-8 until you take a turn without using PtL, which is harder to manage. You can break off and run to distance though, but it's tricky.

Still a good combo, but when you end up stressed it feels awkward.

Yeah, that part isn't as fun, but it's entirely possible to survive for a turn or two just by using focus, or a boost to escape arc or range, and then you get it all right back.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

From what I saw the FAQ has a very big focus on clarifying free movement in regards to obstacles and resolving issues with mine tokens and movement.

Also it's specified that both TLT shots must be against the same target. The same language used to faq assault missiles too though.

Edit: Tournament FAQ states you must use new damage deck in tournaments starting 1 Jan 2016.
:suspense:

waah fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 16, 2015

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
If anyone is looking for storage ideas, I'd recommend building your own with foamcore. I'm really happy how well these two just came out, and they can easily hold all my ships with plenty of room left over.

Those two replaced my old one which had the benefit of fitting in a core set box, but didn't have enough room for my small ships let alone any of the larger ones.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm glad they made a change to the tourney rules wrt big ships.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, me too. Now I can go back to still beating people with Han but not having them whine about not getting any points for it. You won't win large tournaments with them anymore, but you can still win locals with ~3-4 rounds.

I've been painting up smaller ships anyway. I have the T-70 now and I want to paint something on its wings. Maybe paint a pair of angel wings for the K-wing too.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Post more custom paintsssss

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will, but right now the blending's not good enough to want to post them yet. I've been working on some war hams too. I miss painting humanoids.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, me too. Now I can go back to still beating people with Han but not having them whine about not getting any points for it. You won't win large tournaments with them anymore, but you can still win locals with ~3-4 rounds.

I've been painting up smaller ships anyway. I have the T-70 now and I want to paint something on its wings. Maybe paint a pair of angel wings for the K-wing too.

Orange/Black Poe scheme

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I want to repaint my Firespray and my four Scum Zs to match Kath and the Binayre Pirate's paintjobs so that my Kath and her Gang of Crooks squad is even more thematic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah dude, do it! Checkered schemes are great and are good technical paint jobs but I never enjoyed them.

canyoneer posted:

Orange/Black Poe scheme

I considered it but right now I think everyone's gonna be doing that. So I'll try to think up of a cool way to remix the scheme but use the same colors. I'm actually considered doing a sleek orange on black graffiti scheme if I can manage it.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

grassy gnoll posted:

I ran a 4x int with autos with a Howlrunner with some success but that was before TLTS RUINED THE GAME

GALL

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What;s this about new big ship rules?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Paint it Olive Drab with red numbers on the side like its namesake.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bunnyofdoom posted:

What;s this about new big ship rules?

Big ships now give half MOV for killing half their HP.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Panzeh posted:

Big ships now give half MOV for killing half their HP.

Where is this published? Also, excellent. This also will help with the two ship meta.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Big ships give half points if you half kill them in tournaments.

Conner nets were apparently in need of nerfing. If you drop them on a ship that hasn't activated, it just loses its action, and takes its assigned maneuver. Makes sense. However the rest of the ruling implies that you clear ion tokens after the move as normal, since it mentions that if an already ioned ship flies over one all its tokens are removed at the end of that move.

Really, really stupid, so much for bombers being a serious threat!

Crack shot also has to be used when the Defender modifies dice, which makes it even less useful.

Pretty disappointing FAQ overall, though the large ship change is good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah dude, do it! Checkered schemes are great and are good technical paint jobs but I never enjoyed them.

I considered it but right now I think everyone's gonna be doing that. So I'll try to think up of a cool way to remix the scheme but use the same colors. I'm actually considered doing a sleek orange on black graffiti scheme if I can manage it.

Fine, orange and black General Lee scheme

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Actually rereading the Conner net I think the ion tokens not applying is only for if the ship is already making an ion move. Which still makes no sense, but at least it won't ruin the effect of dropping one directly on an elite pilot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That will probably get clarified further. I can see the reasoning behind not letting a Connor Net effectively force a ship to be ionized for two turns without any actions at all. Walking someone off the board with ion cannons is at least something you roll dice for. Walking someone off the board with a single ion hit and then a series of Connor Nets is dickery of the highest order. Especially with someone like Emon, who can drop them in someone's face without even getting near or in front of them.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The Gate posted:

Actually rereading the Conner net I think the ion tokens not applying is only for if the ship is already making an ion move. Which still makes no sense, but at least it won't ruin the effect of dropping one directly on an elite pilot.

I don't see how it could work any other way. After you execute an ion maneuver, you lose all your ion tokens. Why would you keep tokens you picked up while executing the maneuver?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kath had a Conner Net dropped right on her in a game I played last night by a Punisher with Advanced Scopes, and I feel like it would have been worse if she flew through it. It set her move to a white one straight that turn, and she lost her action, but was good to go the next turn. At least if she flew through it she would have been messed up the following turn as well.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Holy poo poo you can't take free actions while on an asteroid any longer.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

BattleMaster posted:

Kath had a Conner Net dropped right on her in a game I played last night by a Punisher with Advanced Scopes, and I feel like it would have been worse if she flew through it. It set her move to a white one straight that turn, and she lost her action, but was good to go the next turn. At least if she flew through it she would have been messed up the following turn as well.

Actually it works the other way. Once your dial is set, you do that move, and are ioned next turn.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

FFG posted:

Dauntless

If a ship equipped with the Dauntless title executes
a red maneuver and overlaps another ship, it cannot
perform a free action. If it executes a green maneuver,
overlaps another ship, and uses Dauntless to perform
a free action, the stress it receives is not removed by
the green maneuver

Did they just fuckin' nerf the Dauntless ability? Motherfucker.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Gate posted:

Actually it works the other way. Once your dial is set, you do that move, and are ioned next turn.

I disagree; the rules card says that when the ship's turn to activate comes up, if it has an ion token it moves as if it was assigned a white straight 1 maneuver and then it lose its ion tokens. Kath had ion tokens at the time her turn in the activation phase came up, so she moved as if she was assigned a white straight 1 and then lost the ion tokens. Nothing specifies that the ion tokens had to be from the previous turn.

Edit: The key part is that the ion token card says that "the owner moves the ship as if it were assigned a white straight one maneuver." Doesn't matter that I assigned Kath a move on her dial, the "as if it were assigned" part overrides that.

The timeline as it happened was:

We assigned dials in the planning phase and moved on to the activation phase.

The Punisher, activating at skill 0 because of Advanced Scopes, makes its move and then chooses to drop a Conner Net as its action. The bomb token is placed under Kath as per the generic bomb token rules. The Conner Net card specifies that the token detonates if a ship moves through or overlaps the token. Since Kath is currently overlapping it, the bomb detonates giving her one damage, two ion tokens and the effect that causes her to skip her action during the turn. The token is discarded.

Other stuff moves.

Kath activates at skill 7. She has two ion tokens, which is enough to disable a large ship like her, so she moves as if she had been assigned a white straight 1 and then loses the tokens. She doesn't get an action as per Conner net.

Then later in the turn she got off a 5 red dice tailgun shot against the same Punisher that she wouldn't have gotten if not for being disabled that turn :laugh:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
You can disagree all you want, but the FAQ says exactly what I said.

• Locked thread