Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

It seems like it would be super fun to do in the most pretentious way possible, and wish I could get away with exclusively referring to Iowa as THE University of Iowa (or ideally it's old school name THE State University of Iowa, in contrast to the Iowa State Agricultural College and Model Farm)

I mean it's the same as Rocky Top right? Everyone else hates that song but UT fans love it and we play it as much as possible and part of that is because it annoys the poo poo out of everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

DJExile posted:

News: Cal teasin' some new helmets

Views: yoooooooooo

Down as hell w/ this

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MindlessHavok posted:

I mean it's the same as Rocky Top right? Everyone else hates that song but UT fans love it and we play it as much as possible and part of that is because it annoys the poo poo out of everyone.

I hate it when the band plays it, but love the poo poo out of the original bluegrass versions.

It really is a fantastic song, and I still get nostalgic over our hardcore battles in the 90s just thinking about it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Kyle Flood gets to sit three games

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/kyle_flood_suspended_as_rutgers_coach.html

E: They get KU at home next week. I mean, I could probably coach Rutgers to a four TD win while simultaneously playing RB. Other two games are @ Penn State and Michigan State at home.

E2: Christ.

quote:

@StevePoliti
The details are coming now. Flood not only emailed the professor, but had an in-person meeting -- and this was after he was told not to.

quote:

@StevePoliti
Good grief. Flood even "provided grammatical and minor editorial suggestions" to a paper in hopes of getting Nadir Barnwell eligible.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 16, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
How does he still have a job :psyduck:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
You basically have to fire a coach that edited a player's paper, I would think

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Enemies of Rutger's Athletics strike again!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:vince:

Greg Schiano's available, I think.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MindlessHavok posted:

That is a catchy song and I genuinely enjoy it. I went to a UT basketball game one time fully expecting to hate it by the end of the game, but I was still happily humming along every time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

:vince:

Greg Schiano's available, I think.

He is, actually. I'm pretty sure the Bucs are still paying him so I don't know why he'd be in any hurry to find another job.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah i love Rocky Top, mostly from the NCAA Football games

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

tfw u lose to toledo

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Crotch Bat posted:

How does he still have a job :psyduck:
Nick Saban would be fired over that, Kyle Flood not being fired yet is probably just because they're clearing it all with legal to fire with cause.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Can't possibly be Bert. He lacks Hank's strong chin and love of the flex defense.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sash! posted:

So, two miles north?

And then set it on fire.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Idle thought that just occured to me: I wonder if Texas will continue to ask the city for money for the new arena or if that was just Patterson being Patterson

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah these seem like totally reasonable things to do.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

VDay posted:

Yeah these seem like totally reasonable things to do.

I like how he words it in a way that takes away any plausible deniability

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hrm, I'm a public figure that's probably well known on campus and recognizable, but if I don't wear a Rutgers t-shirt, no one will know who I am.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The investigation and punishment were carried out by Rutgers. Could he or the university be facing additional sanctions from the NCAA, or is this not something the NCAA gets involved with?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Another Arkansas receiver (Cody Hollister) with a broken foot. That makes three broken feet in the last month on the team.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Groucho Marxist posted:

I like how he words it in a way that takes away any plausible deniability

It's the kind of poo poo that in a TV show or movie would be super obvious signs that someone is trying to frame him. But this is real life so no he's just that god drat stupid apparently.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pakled posted:

The investigation and punishment were carried out by Rutgers. Could he or the university be facing additional sanctions from the NCAA, or is this not something the NCAA gets involved with?

I would think this is right up the NCAA's alley. The punish schools all the time for a coach doing something wrong, and trying to sway a professor to give a better grade is a huge no-no.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The NCAA will absolutely get involved; this is Rutgers trying to get out ahead of it and soften the blow. You can't gently caress with a player's grades.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

rebel1608 posted:

The NCAA will absolutely get involved; this is Rutgers trying to get out ahead of it and soften the blow. You can't gently caress with a player's grades.

I figured as much. It just seemed weird that that article didn't mention anything about potential NCAA sanctions on top of the university's suspension.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Another Arkansas receiver (Cody Hollister) with a broken foot. That makes three broken feet in the last month on the team.

Four of you count the one Toledo broke in Bielema's rear end

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel for the professor. You know they're going to catch a ton of poo poo for whatever punishment the NCAA metes out, even though it's all Kyle Flood's fault.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Whoa!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

:perfect:

I don't lol a lot but I for real lol'd

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
First, ol' bert ain't even gonna be qualified to coach a high school team by the time this year is done. Hope you've saved your money and not eaten it all away you fat piece of poo poo.

Second:

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Nick Saban would be fired over that, Kyle Flood not being fired yet is probably just because they're clearing it all with legal to fire with cause.

IANAL, but you'd have to figure that the suspension effectively takes "with cause" off the table, otherwise it'd be two punishments for the same crime. Now, Hermann/Rutgers is dumb enough to try to still fire Flood with cause so I expect that to happen at the end of the season and everyone gets to put their legal britches on, but if Flood gets canned it won't be with cause, unless something else happens. Which probably will knowing this team.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I hope this brings untold ruin to the Rutgers program for I am an enemy of Rutgers Athletics.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Rutgers program is coming apart at the seams. Which is fortunate for Penn State, who needs all the help they can get to win this week's game.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Flood's statement:

Kyle Flood posted:

“Earlier today, I met with President Barchi in his office and he informed me of my three-game suspension and the imposed fine.

At Rutgers, we hold our student-athletes to high academic standards befitting a great university. We adhere to a higher standard, one that I am responsible to be aware of. I take full responsibility and accept the consequences of my actions. I care deeply about my student-athlete’s academic performance. As the head coach, when I recruit players, my responsibility to them and their families is to do all I can to make sure they leave Rutgers with a degree and are prepared for a successful life off the football field. I am proud that our program has ranked in the top 10% of the APR 8 years in a row. That success doesn’t happen by accident. It’s due to our top-to-bottom program culture emphasizing the importance of academic success, and it’s why we have a robust academic support staff that is second to none. I will always instill in my players that they have a responsibility to themselves, their families, our University and its alumni to perform well in the classroom, and I will never stop caring about their academic performance.
Moving forward, I will make sure I adhere to all University policies and I will place an even greater emphasis with our staff on knowing, understanding and following every University, Big Ten and NCAA rule.

In deference to our student athletes, coaches, and staff moving forward, I will not provide further comment at this time.”

The president put out a letter to the Rutgers community that you can find here

Julie Hermann also put out a boring-rear end statement that says nothing and I won't bother copying.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I love the "We adhere to a higher standard, one that I am responsible to be aware of." line. It's just a dumb statement, but I like that even then he doesn't say that he's responsible for upholding it, just that he needs to be aware of said standard.

EDSBS's 9 dumbest things in the Rutgers report on Flood

Some impressive stupidity there and I'm going to laugh my rear end off if he actually doesn't get fired for this.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I feel for the professor. You know they're going to catch a ton of poo poo for whatever punishment the NCAA metes out, even though it's all Kyle Flood's fault.

A ton of poo poo from who? Other members of the football team? Other students on campus? Rutgers fans/alumni? The entire population of New York City?

He was asked to change a grade and didn't.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Maxwells Demon posted:

A ton of poo poo from who? Other members of the football team? Other students on campus? Rutgers fans/alumni? The entire population of New York City?

From fans/students/alumni, yes. The stupidity of football fans knows no bounds.

Also, according to the report, the professor did offer the player an opportunity to do since extra credit to bring their grade up after Flood contacted them, but the player either didn't do it or didn't do it well enough to pass.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maxwells Demon posted:

Unlike most of the enemies of Rutgers Athletics, he's putting it on the line to take a bold stand.

I'm willing to believe Flood's statement that this is the first time he did this, given how extensively documented this attempt was. Stands to reason that previous efforts would have been well documented too.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's pretty great that that is the most believable thing about all of this, because no one could possibly be stupid enough to have cheated that poorly more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
My favorite part so far is the email where he blatantly states that he's avoiding the state's public records law

• Locked thread