Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I got to drive a rental Yaris once and really liked it. What's the current feeling on those?

Leaning towards just sinking some money into the Focus and keeping it. One door doesn't lock any more, the truck catch doesn't always catch and the whole mechanism needs to be replaced (so far hasn't totally blown, and I keep a bungie cord handy for the day it does.) It's got a few dings but nothing that impairs use. The resale value would be pitiful; my parents didn't use seat covers when they had a dog, and I've done stuff like spilled coffee on the seats or shoved a muddy adult bike in the trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't want to turn this in to a bicycles vs cars flamewar but

RisqueBarber posted:

I've thought about biking to work but I live in Dallas where there is no such thing as bike lanes. Because I drive so little, your saying it would actually hurt the car(for example a srt8 challenger) if I don't drive it enough?

I live 3.2 miles from work and bike to downtown Dallas every day. Are you way north near Richardson/Plano in the exurbs or something?

poo poo, on the days I don't cycle, I probably walk .75 miles from the bus stop to my house. It probably takes more time to get in your car, get on the main road, drive to work, park, then walk in to the building than it does to walk the mile and a half. As a goon, you probably need the exercise anyways :)

And yeah Dallas has dedicated bike lanes on McCommas, Main Street, Houston St, Jackson st, plus the ~3 mile Katy Trail, 4 mile Santa Fe Trail, ~9 mile White Rock Creek trail, ~6 mile Cottonwood Trail, there's a ~15 mile bike path that runs about 90% of the way along the Red line on the DART rail all the way to Plano, they're finishing the last 10% this year. There's about 7 miles of paved bike path between Irving and downtown Dallas along the Trinity river. In the last two weeks they added marked bike lanes along Belmont, and Swiss has been marked since this time last year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

If you want a cool car in the $15k-$20k range, look at the Subaru BRZ / Scion FRS or 2011-2014 V6 Mustang, if you can find one with a stick and the performance package. The reason that $30k is the median new cars price is that only rich people tend to buy new cars now, and a huge % of new cars sold are pickup trucks in the $40k range and big family crossovers, both of which are more expensive than normal cars.

I like cars, and like new cars, and have always thought there were plenty of great, fun options new in the $25k or less range. I'm also driving a deeply uncool car right now though: a stick shift V6 Mustang because it was by far the cheapest 300hp, RWD, manual transmission thing I could get with heated leather seats. $22k brand new!

300hp is what a WRX STi or Evo has, but with less drivetrain loss. How is that "deeply uncool"? It may as well be an Enzo compared to my 100hp Fiesta.

quote:

Leaning towards just sinking some money into the Focus and keeping it.

Do this. You can fix everything you list for under $200. Mechanically sound cars that aren't worth much or have exterior dings that you don't care about are the best cars to drive.

quote:

My 2010 corolla was stolen over the weekend and the insurance company wants to settle out and if the car is recovered it will go to them. I've never bought a car before. I bought this one from my aunt when I was in college so it was hassle free and it just got me from A to B. I'm 28 years old, single, live 1.5 miles away from work, and rarely go on road trips. I have no idea what I'm doing. All I know is what cars I think "look cool to drive" which are challengers, four door trucks, and jeeps. I kind of want to get a stick shift because it looks fun and I've never learned. I have no idea what I'm doing and I think sound like a 15 year old.

Proposed Budget: $30,000 or less
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Four-door truck or two seater fast car
How will you be using the car?: Going to work and thats about it.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. I'd like to be okay owning this car for at least 5 years(hopefully 10)

Thanks for whoever takes this on. I have no idea what I want.

Buy a used >$10k minivan, or a high mileage crew cab truck with bench seats if you hate minivans so much but really minivans are best, make friends, you're young and single, find 7 (6 with the truck) friends and go have kick rear end camping trips and/or drug fueled orgies in the desert. Which one are you going to remember more fondly 10 years down the road, the drug fueled orgies, or that new Mustang/BRZ that you sank all your money into and drove 1.5 miles to work every day? No one gives a poo poo about a 28 year old guy with a BRZ, not even in AI.

Or depending on your home charging/state subsidy situation you could look into a plug-in EV.

quote:

So I'm currently looking for a new car and I hit one of those 'nonexistant market segments' things. Here's what I'm looking for:

Proposed Budget: 45-50k
New or Used: New (Can afford it, really want the piece of mind associated.)
Body Style: 4-door wagon or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Daily commuter + moving things around sometimes. Wife has a civic, looking for something to give us some options for buying stuff.
What aspects are most important to you? I want a nice interior with lots of features. Quiet interior, nice sound system, etc. I currently drive a 2013 VW GTI that's coming up on the end of it's lease, so something better than that in terms of interior quality/etc.
I would prefer something with around 200 hp, give or take. More than that seems like asking for trouble, less than that has seemed anemic to me - I want to be able to not feel like I'm struggling on on-ramps or freeway passing, but don't need to be 2FAST2FURIOUS.

Ideally, I'd like a wagon version of the GTI with a slightly nicer interior, but that doesn't exist. My current choices are as follows:

Lexus CT200h - I like the look and the price is great, but I've heard that it's pretty drat slow. 80% of the time the MPG and all that'll be great, but I drove a baseline civic for years and hated every single time I had someone tailgating me as I struggled onto a freeway onramp at 10 under - not interested in revisiting that.

BMW 3-series wagon/GT - Entry level is in my price range, but to get something comparable to what the CT has fully loaded would cost 55-60 or so, which I could make happen, but seems like a lot. On the other hand, the 3 series is a pretty impeccable car, so at least it's solid quality.

I rent, so I can't really get a plug in electric. (may be moving over the next 3-5 years so not really excited about paying to move/patch up charger station installations)

This segment has been completely taken over by CUVs and Crossovers, which seem to get panned pretty hard in reviews. I'm going to test drive the Lexus NX when I check out the CT200, since it seems good, but I'd much rather have a wagon than a crossover or SUV.

Is there anything I'm missing? Badge is not particularly important to me - if someone else can deliver the quality and interior I'd go with whatever, but I'd prefer to avoid sedans/etc and get something with more of a contiguous cargo space.

Have you driven the Golf Sportwagen? It has a turbo engine now. I think it's auto only which would be a deal killer for me but then you are looking at the CT200h.

If you are looking at the 3GT, don't. Look at the 4GC instead. The 4 series is the "sporty" one with a (IIRC) wider track, lower sporty suspension, etc and it looks better. Also I think the 3GT is AWD only in the US? Don't buy an AWD BMW.

COmedy option: VAG hatchback with nicer interior

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 15, 2015

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Have you driven the Golf Sportwagen? It has a turbo engine now. I think it's auto only which would be a deal killer for me but then you are looking at the CT200h.

If you are looking at the 3GT, don't. Look at the 4GC instead. The 4 series is the "sporty" one with a (IIRC) wider track, lower sporty suspension, etc and it looks better. Also I think the 3GT is AWD only in the US? Don't buy an AWD BMW.

COmedy option: VAG hatchback with nicer interior

Haven't looked at the Jetta Sportwagen yet, might do that, although I imagine the Audi Allroad is basically just a souped up one of those. Mostly skipped it because I assumed it wouldn't be any nicer than my GTI.

What's the problem with the BMW AWD? Not super familiar with the brand. Mostly leaning toward the wagon anyway, which the 4 series doesn't come in, but I'll throw the 4GT on the list.

I would unironically drive a Panamera, but they start at like $75k in the states, so they are handily outside of my price range, so I luckily get to avoid embarassing myself.

Edit: man the 4GC actually looks super nice, thanks for the suggestion!

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 15, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Falcon2001 posted:

What's the problem with the BMW AWD?

Nothing, but what BMW does is give the xDrive models raised suspension, different shocks/springs, different steering etc that basically turn them into much shittier versions of the RWD cars. Some of the suspension changes might be to accomodate the front driveshafts and differential, or something. Unless you absolutely need AWD its best to get the RWD version.

EDIT:It's not pertinent to you the new car buyer but the first thing all terrible BMW drivers do when they get their xi cars is lower the suspension. Well guess what the suspension is like that from the factory for a reason so 20k miles in their diff seals and driveshafts are all blown/prematurely worn. 335xidriver.txt

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 15, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Falcon2001 posted:

They stopped those in 2014, so that's two model years ago at this point; I'd be hard pressed to find one new and I'd really rather not go CPO. Wish they were still making them though.

Thought it was 2015. Oh well.
That said, why? An acura TSX will basically run forever and a day with oil changes. I wouldn't even bother with the CPO.
The problem you have is that you want a wagon in america and beggars can't be choosers. Your new choices are basically a Golf/Jetta Wagon (not lux enough?), A4 allroad thingy (expensive, audi), 3-series wagon (BMW options=lol), and E-class wagon (expensive).
If you go a few more years back, you can get 5-series wagons, real A4 wagons plus the others in your price, plus the excellent TSX wagon and the decent CTS wagon. This is a place where used might get you way more car and arguably less hassle because gently caress finding a wagon on a new car dealer lot in YOOL 2015.
If you do buy a new one though, good on you, if it is a stick give me a call in 5 years and I'll probably buy it :)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

Have you driven the Golf Sportwagen? It has a turbo engine now. I think it's auto only
Nope. The poverty-spec Golfwagen comes with the 1.8T and a three-pedal theft deterrent, or so says the build-your own thing on their website.

edit: Still a five-speed. But looking at the shifter, it's still got reverse way up far-left by first, just a blank spot where sixth would go. :confused:

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 15, 2015

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I live 3.2 miles from work and bike to downtown Dallas every day. Are you way north near Richardson/Plano in the exurbs or something?

When I was in Grapevine I couldn't make it to 1.5 miles in any direction without crossing a highway. I certainly couldn't make it to a grocery store. Dallas Fort Worth in general is not that bicycle friendly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kitten posted:

When I was in Grapevine I couldn't make it to 1.5 miles in any direction without crossing a highway. I certainly couldn't make it to a grocery store. Dallas Fort Worth in general is not that bicycle friendly.

I know this pain deeply. Bicycling for transit in Texas is incredibly difficult. I only have two choices to travel north or south from my house without going several miles out of the way: A 60mph road with no shoulders in which I would have to claim a lane, or a limited access freeway that specifically prohibits bicycles. I've braved the 60mph road a couple of times, but it's a hair raising experience. People pass excessively close and honk loudly or throw poo poo.

It's partially my fault for living in an area with no transit and car-focused infrastructure, but it's not even like I'm that far out. Texas just hates everyone except drivers.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Hadlock posted:

poo poo, on the days I don't cycle, I probably walk .75 miles from the bus stop to my house. It probably takes more time to get in your car, get on the main road, drive to work, park, then walk in to the building than it does to walk the mile and a half. As a goon, you probably need the exercise anyways :)

And yeah Dallas has dedicated bike lanes on McCommas, Main Street, Houston St, Jackson st, plus the ~3 mile Katy Trail, 4 mile Santa Fe Trail, ~9 mile White Rock Creek trail, ~6 mile Cottonwood Trail, there's a ~15 mile bike path that runs about 90% of the way along the Red line on the DART rail all the way to Plano, they're finishing the last 10% this year. There's about 7 miles of paved bike path between Irving and downtown Dallas along the Trinity river. In the last two weeks they added marked bike lanes along Belmont, and Swiss has been marked since this time last year.

My bike route would take me down Ross into downtown. Doesn't hurt to try, now I don't only need to buy a car but also a bike.

Back to cars...

Right now I'm looking at Challengers, FRS's, Mustangs, and G37's. Since no one really addressed it, what websites should I shop at and is the marketplace thread a good place to get AI goon's opinions on the sales of the cars?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
So we've started test driving all the options. Drove two Xterras last night (Nissan dealer is super close) including a Pro-4x and it did nothing to dissuade us from one. We loved the drat thing, really nice road manners, but ugh that mileage. Plus we drove brand new models, which we very much cannot afford.

Next up is the Prius, and the gf wants to go check out the Subarus just to cover our bases.

I'm trying to think of ways to talk her out of the Jeep Liberty. I find them wholly lackluster and if she REALLY wants a box SUV the Xterra is much preferable to the Liberty. Anyone have experiences with the late model Liberty?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The liberty is why the cherokee was so anticipated. Because it was replacing an utter POS not worthy of the name.

At least it isn't a patriot.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

nm posted:

Thought it was 2015. Oh well.
That said, why? An acura TSX will basically run forever and a day with oil changes. I wouldn't even bother with the CPO.
The problem you have is that you want a wagon in america and beggars can't be choosers. Your new choices are basically a Golf/Jetta Wagon (not lux enough?), A4 allroad thingy (expensive, audi), 3-series wagon (BMW options=lol), and E-class wagon (expensive).
If you go a few more years back, you can get 5-series wagons, real A4 wagons plus the others in your price, plus the excellent TSX wagon and the decent CTS wagon. This is a place where used might get you way more car and arguably less hassle because gently caress finding a wagon on a new car dealer lot in YOOL 2015.
If you do buy a new one though, good on you, if it is a stick give me a call in 5 years and I'll probably buy it :)

Yeah, honestly I'm buying new since I had a history of car problems when I was broke and my work requires me to be punctual and reliable - an acura or lexus will probably run forever on oil changes, but I still would rather pay more and know the whole history/etc and have everything under warranty for those first few worry free years.

That being said, you're totally right, so I'm going to weigh my limited options - but I think that the CT200 is probably going to be fine.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
My wife and I are moving across country for a new job in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area. Work is shipping my car (2011 VW GTI) but we don't think it's worth shipping her 2006 Ford Focus with 95k miles. That leaves us needing to buy my wife a new car once we get there!

Proposed Budget: Ideally, ~$20,000, but we could wiggle a little bit for the right car

New or Used: New

Body Style: 4 door, either sedan or wagon, or hatchbacks that don't look too "hatchback-y." Nothing that looks boxy.

How will you be using the car?: This will be my wife's car for likely the next 10 years. We don't have kids yet, but we probably will have a couple before she sells it. We're looking for a workhorse, do-everything sort of normal car used to run errands, go to school, go to work, yadda yadda.

What aspects are most important to you?: I want a good car that will last 10 years with minimal issues. My wife is horrible about maintaining her car, or noticing with something is breaking, so think of this as car-as-appliance. Visibility and safety are important. I know she would like something that drives better than her Ford Focus, but that would literally be any car; she likes the way my mom's Outback drives, and she loved driving her aunt's Mustang.

My wife really wants a compact car, as she doesn't like "big" cars. We went to a car show a year ago, and her favorites were the Subaru Impreza and the Hyundai Elantra. She also really likes the looks of the Mazda 3, and of the Jetta; though she likes my GTI, she doesn't want a Golf.

Thanks in advance for advice!

e: Forgot one thing: The car needs to be an automatic, if that matters.

alakath fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 15, 2015

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

alakath posted:

My wife and I are moving across country for a new job in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area. Work is shipping my car (2011 VW GTI) but we don't think it's worth shipping her 2006 Ford Focus with 95k miles. That leaves us needing to buy my wife a new car once we get there!

Proposed Budget: Ideally, ~$20,000, but we could wiggle a little bit for the right car

New or Used: New

Body Style: 4 door, either sedan or wagon, or hatchbacks that don't look too "hatchback-y." Nothing that looks boxy.

How will you be using the car?: This will be my wife's car for likely the next 10 years. We don't have kids yet, but we probably will have a couple before she sells it. We're looking for a workhorse, do-everything sort of normal car used to run errands, go to school, go to work, yadda yadda.

What aspects are most important to you?: I want a good car that will last 10 years with minimal issues. My wife is horrible about maintaining her car, or noticing with something is breaking, so think of this as car-as-appliance. Visibility and safety are important. I know she would like something that drives better than her Ford Focus, but that would literally be any car; she likes the way my mom's Outback drives, and she loved driving her aunt's Mustang.

My wife really wants a compact car, as she doesn't like "big" cars. We went to a car show a year ago, and her favorites were the Subaru Impreza and the Hyundai Elantra. She also really likes the looks of the Mazda 3, and of the Jetta; though she likes my GTI, she doesn't want a Golf.

Thanks in advance for advice!

e: Forgot one thing: The car needs to be an automatic, if that matters.

My wife and I recently went through this basic search, slightly higher budget for her car and ended up buying a 2015 Civic sedan with the highest trim - here's my impressions of the cars I looked at.

Hyundai Elantra Felt pretty cheap inside, and cramped, even for my 5'1" wife. I think they do a decent job of adding features/etc for parity, but we didn't like the interior much.

I'll just flat out warn that Volkswagens have a reputation for being very expensive to keep on the road past warranty time vs the price of the car. I've enjoyed my GTI but I'd pass on the Jetta/etc unless someone else here can refute that, but I've seen that warning pop up everywhere.

I would highly suggest checking out the new Ford Focus, which was our runner up choice. The new ones are really nice and well equipped for a small car and if I had been picking, we would have gotten it. The last few years have been really good for Ford.

My wife seriously disliked the Mazda 3 and discounted it within a few minutes of the test drive, but that might be a personal thing - she hated the really soft brakes and weird steering.

So that's my thoughts at least. The Focus or Fiesta is probably a really, really solid choice in this class unless (again) something happened in the last year since we bought her car.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Throatwarbler posted:

Do this. You can fix everything you list for under $200. Mechanically sound cars that aren't worth much or have exterior dings that you don't care about are the best cars to drive.

Okay, so anyone on Vancouver Island want to come teach me how to fix that poo poo for under $200? The service centre told me both required ordering in parts, and that it'd be around $600 for both, at least.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, honestly I'm buying new since I had a history of car problems when I was broke and my work requires me to be punctual and reliable - an acura or lexus will probably run forever on oil changes, but I still would rather pay more and know the whole history/etc and have everything under warranty for those first few worry free years.

That being said, you're totally right, so I'm going to weigh my limited options - but I think that the CT200 is probably going to be fine.

I mean I understand your desire, but the problem is that going slightly used gives you such a better selection of arguably better cars. It is kind of a weird thing.

If you do buy a new station wagon and it comes in a stick, get the stick. As far as I can tell manual wagons basically don't lose value because wagon wanters all want manuals and won't buy new cars because reasons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doesn't Volvo make some sporty ~30k wagons?

e. the V60 is $36k...

alakath posted:

Shipping the focus will cost you a hell of a lot less than $20k! And that car is likely good for another 200k miles.

Buy a new car anyway if that's what you want, of course. I'm just saying, this is a pretty transparent rationalisation.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 16, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pixelante posted:

Okay, so anyone on Vancouver Island want to come teach me how to fix that poo poo for under $200? The service centre told me both required ordering in parts, and that it'd be around $600 for both, at least.

Ebay the parts, and learn by doing. This is the kind of stuff where assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Take pictures of every step as you take things apart, if you're really worried. This isn't the kind of work where you can screw things up catastrophically. I figure the worst disaster you could cause would be a broken window.

You were going to retire a car because the door wouldn't lock? Hell, there's a chance your trunk latch problem would be solved with some WD-40.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Shipping the focus will cost you a hell of a lot less than $20k! And that car is likely good for another 200k miles.

Buy a new car anyway if that's what you want, of course. I'm just saying, this is a pretty transparent rationalisation.

Agreed.

If you just want to buy a new car and can afford it, then that's all the reason you need. Just be honest with yourself and us rather than rationalizing the expensive option. In the strictly BFC sense, shipping the Focus and driving it into the ground will be A LOT cheaper.

But I can understand why you wouldn't want to keep driving a 10 year old Focus for 100k-200k more miles. :)

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

VideoTapir posted:

Ebay the parts, and learn by doing. This is the kind of stuff where assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Take pictures of every step as you take things apart, if you're really worried. This isn't the kind of work where you can screw things up catastrophically. I figure the worst disaster you could cause would be a broken window.

You were going to retire a car because the door wouldn't lock? Hell, there's a chance your trunk latch problem would be solved with some WD-40.
Seriously. My old Cavalier had trunk issues with both lock and latch, and a passenger side door that would get rejected sometimes. Assumed for years these were gross mechanical problems and not the kind of thing a little lube would fix. When I finally decided to actually do the maintenance called for by the OM, including lubing locks and hinges, my mind was blown. Not sure I'd use WD-40 for that though.

Also previewing what you're attempting with youtube is great to avoid breaking little plastic retainers and other hidden things.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

alakath posted:

My wife and I are moving across country for a new job in the Atlanta, Georgia metro area. Work is shipping my car (2011 VW GTI) but we don't think it's worth shipping her 2006 Ford Focus with 95k miles. That leaves us needing to buy my wife a new car once we get there

My wife and I have one kid right now and she enjoyed driving her 2013 Civic around. However we have a second kid on the way so we just got a Honda CR-V and I can tell you that thing is sooooo much better for hauling around the kid/carseat/everything else that comes with a toddler than the Civic it's not even funny. If you're really going into this for the long haul and plan on two kids I'd suggest going for something along those lines rather than another compact car because I can't imagine it being easy dealing with two kids and their carseats and all their junk in a small car like that. There's a reason pretty much every family you see has an SUV. As a bonus the CR-V drives more like a car than a truck and she's getting around 30 mpg with it so all in all it's not a huge drain compared to something else.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Doesn't Volvo make some sporty ~30k wagons?

e. the V60 is $36k...

gently caress, I forgot about volvo, just like the rest of america. Maybe if they have us more than 12 swedish racing green polestars we'd pay more attention.

The v60 is a good car though, check it out. If you can get a polestar, buy it and come to AI where we can all fawn over it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nm posted:

gently caress, I forgot about volvo, just like the rest of america. Maybe if they have us more than 12 swedish racing green polestars we'd pay more attention.

The v60 is a good car though, check it out. If you can get a polestar, buy it and come to AI where we can all fawn over it.

The Twin engine XC90 looks pretty cool too, but I don't think it would be fun to own from 80k miles onward.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.

Leperflesh posted:

Good point. It IS rationalizing something that will ultimately be more expensive, but my wife's been wanting a new car for a while anyway. This seems like as good a time as any to do it, especially since the car is bluebooked at like $3k but it would cost ~$1k to ship.

Guinness posted:

I can understand why you wouldn't want to keep driving a 10 year old Focus for 100k-200k more miles. :)

Also this. The car probably could last another 100k miles, but it already drives like garbage.

CFox posted:

Look at the CR-V!

That's a good point about car seats. I've been trying to get her to look at smallish SUVs/CUVs, given her dislike of larger cars. I'm thinking I'll make her try the CR-V, the HR-V, the CX-3, and the Forester? e: And maybe the Juke? I've never been a big Nissan fan, but it seems to get good reviews.

Falcon2001 posted:

2015 Civic sedan or the new Ford Focus

I'll make sure she looks at the Civic. I used to have an RSX and I loved it, Honda makes great cars. She dislikes the digital speedometer thingy, but maybe once she drives it she can look past it?

Re: the new Focus, we felt like the backseat was super cramped when we sat it in at an auto show. But we should probably look at it again; people seem to love them.

alakath fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 16, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

alakath posted:

Re: the new Focus, we felt like the backseat was super cramped when we sat it in at an auto show. But we should probably look at it again; people seem to love them.

The backseat is super cramped, it's not just you. Probably worst in class at backseat livability, but it's pretty solid everywhere else and way cheaper than a Mazda 3.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
Crosspost from AI:

My wife and I are looking into replacing her 2013 Kia Optima SXL with something a little bit bigger. We have a toddler now, and may be adding another drooling poo poo machine to the family sooner or later. After spending weeks of whittling down our options, we've come to one conclusion:

we both really love and want a Dodge Durango R/T

We cross shopped it with an Explorer Sport, Kia Sorento SXL 3.3l, and an Acura MDX(which ended up being the runner up to the durango)

We found an example locally that 100% fits the bill. Being that this is for my wife she wants a very specific set of specifications for a replacement vehicle... Roomy(3 row), Sporty, the ability to add rear entertainment, black or dark grey. The local example is a 2015 local trade that was only in service for about a month and has a little over 5k miles. It's "dodge certified preowned" which tacks on an additional 3 month/3,000 mile warranty as well as bumping the powertrain warranty to 7 year/100k.

This will also be the most expensive vehicle we've ever bought as a family. Our payments should be right between $625-$650, depending on APR, but this is only $25-$50/month more than what i pay for the kia(We pay additional every month to help bring down the principal)

All i'm asking for is a sanity check. is this a bad idea? are we making a financial gently caress up? or is the dodge a great vehicle in it's segment and we're going to have a ton of fun on roadtrips hauling rear end around the state/country...

a few notes:

yes, we are upside down on the kia by a few thousand which doesn't give me too much indigestion right now...
pricing on the Durango is $38,400. it's optioned with sunroof, 2nd row captains chairs, 2nd row center console, 8.4AN nav system

nm
Jan 28, 2008

How long is the loan?

Why is there a used 2015 for sale? I'm nervious about those as they can easly be pre-lemon process buybacks (if a company buys back a car before the lemon process, they can sell it as a non-lemon buyback, reducing the loss they take cause they can sell it unnoticed.)

nm fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 16, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

"In service for a month" and over 5000 miles and now it's back up for sale?

I would definitely want to know why... all of those things.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

getfuct posted:

All i'm asking for is a sanity check. is this a bad idea? are we making a financial gently caress up? or is the dodge a great vehicle in it's segment and we're going to have a ton of fun on roadtrips hauling rear end around the state/country...

Regarding the financial side of this, you "OR-ing" these two things is a bad sign with regards to your reasoning, as they're on two completely different spectrums. One is "How much car can I afford?". The other is "What car [that I can afford] do I want?". If you don't solve the first problem accurately and honestly (with yourselves), your answer to the second becomes meaningless garbage.

Have you worked out your best estimate as to how much actual disposable monthly income you have? That is to say, your combined monthly income minus :
-monthly bills
-monthly necessities and luxuries you don't intend to give up
-annual or sporadic expenses (dentists, registration, property taxes if you have any, Christmas spending etc.) estimated honestly and expressed as a monthly average
-any savings you want to be doing for child expenses

When all of the above is worked out, and you have a sufficient emergency fund set aside (which as babby protectors is even more of an onus on the two of you), does the remainder comfortably accommodate $650/month on a car?

Also, if you CAN afford a monthly payment that large, the question is begged as to how you ended up upside down on a mid-range car loan and unable to quickly dig it out. With a low enough APR anyone might reasonably make use of a loan, but nobody with that much disposable income needs to be in debt overall.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What engine does it have.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

What engine does it have.

R/T implies the 5.7. 360 hp, 390 torque I believe.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Twerk from Home posted:

R/T implies the 5.7. 360 hp, 390 torque I believe.

Make sure to consider the insurance premium this will command.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IMHO the V6 pentastar would be fine for the Durango with better mpg.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Regarding the financial side of this, you "OR-ing" these two things is a bad sign with regards to your reasoning, as they're on two completely different spectrums. One is "How much car can I afford?". The other is "What car [that I can afford] do I want?". If you don't solve the first problem accurately and honestly (with yourselves), your answer to the second becomes meaningless garbage.

Have you worked out your best estimate as to how much actual disposable monthly income you have? That is to say, your combined monthly income minus :
-monthly bills
-monthly necessities and luxuries you don't intend to give up
-annual or sporadic expenses (dentists, registration, property taxes if you have any, Christmas spending etc.) estimated honestly and expressed as a monthly average
-any savings you want to be doing for child expenses

When all of the above is worked out, and you have a sufficient emergency fund set aside (which as babby protectors is even more of an onus on the two of you), does the remainder comfortably accommodate $650/month on a car?

Also, if you CAN afford a monthly payment that large, the question is begged as to how you ended up upside down on a mid-range car loan and unable to quickly dig it out. With a low enough APR anyone might reasonably make use of a loan, but nobody with that much disposable income needs to be in debt overall.

financially we're fine

as far as the "why are you upside down" comment... it's a kia. not only is it a kia, it is one of the top-model kias. they lose value faster than a something in a something...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

getfuct posted:

financially we're fine

as far as the "why are you upside down" comment... it's a kia. not only is it a kia, it is one of the top-model kias. they lose value faster than a something in a something...

No one cares why your car is upside down.
We want to know why someone bought a new car, drove 5000, and gave it back after a month at either a substantial loss or because it was a lemon and dodge gave them a new one.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

getfuct posted:

financially we're fine

Ah, I read your indigestion comment as sarcasm and thought you were stressing it. So you could easily get the loan right-side-up if you felt like it.

nm posted:

We want to know why someone bought a new car, drove 5000, and gave it back after a month at either a substantial loss or because it was a lemon and dodge gave them a new one.
Quoting for new page

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

nm posted:

Actually the post i quoted asked just that, why i was upside down, so don't be a dick. it's unnecessary.

My understanding is that the people who originally bought the car decided that they needed 2 cars, not just one. so they traded it in at the dealership.

from what i can tell from the carfax, there isn't any history of anything wierd.

Grumpwagon posted:

Make sure to consider the insurance premium this will command.

$25/year more than the kia.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CFox posted:

My wife and I have one kid right now and she enjoyed driving her 2013 Civic around. However we have a second kid on the way so we just got a Honda CR-V and I can tell you that thing is sooooo much better for hauling around the kid/carseat/everything else that comes with a toddler than the Civic it's not even funny. If you're really going into this for the long haul and plan on two kids I'd suggest going for something along those lines rather than another compact car because I can't imagine it being easy dealing with two kids and their carseats and all their junk in a small car like that. There's a reason pretty much every family you see has an SUV. As a bonus the CR-V drives more like a car than a truck and she's getting around 30 mpg with it so all in all it's not a huge drain compared to something else.

I will second every aspect of this. I didn't want a crossover but we realized that between the increasing maintenance costs and being tired of having the passenger seat 100% forward, we wanted to replace our '07 Mazdaspeed3. The first time we hopped in the CR-V with the giant baby-bucket in the center of the back seat and realized we could both keep our seats as far back as we wanted, we were sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

getfuct posted:

Actually the post i quoted asked just that, why i was upside down, so don't be a dick. it's unnecessary.

My understanding is that the people who originally bought the car decided that they needed 2 cars, not just one. so they traded it in at the dealership.

from what i can tell from the carfax, there isn't any history of anything wierd.

Fair enough.
That sounds a lot like "old lady only drove it to church on sunday" though.
If you do buy it, I would get it PPIed with a fine tooth comb.
Do they have full service records?

Remember that with 5000mi, there's enough on there to blame PO for maintenance/abuse an try to deny warranty cover.