Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Moridin920 posted:

im a millenial who just got a raise and also made a ton of money buying stocks in a company called Mad Catz that sells video game poo poo

lol the future is dumb

i'm a millenial and just found out that the law firm for whom i worked this summer made me a permanent offer of employment upon graduation. this time next year, i'll be making $160,000k + bonuses.

suck it, gen-xer haters. suck it hipsters. go gently caress yourselves, SWJs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

i'm a millenial and just found out that the law firm for whom i worked this summer made me a permanent offer of employment upon graduation. this time next year, i'll be making $160,000k + bonuses.

ban the rich

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

Mad Monk posted:

Millenial hipster bus company in SF went tits up and you can buy a bus for $5.

http://www.businessinsider.com/leap-declares-bankruptcy-2015-9

if this was established in new york not only would it be open but it would be wildly popular and also atop every "foodie" list in the city

what i like about the whole foodie hipster movement is that they seek to purchase alcohol licenses for everything.

fixed gear rental shop? loving alcohol license. off-brand artsy fed ex imitation? THE BEER PRACTICALLY SELLS ITSELF

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

momerath posted:

if this was established in new york not only would it be open but it would be wildly popular and also atop every "foodie" list in the city

eh, i don't know. wall street types take company car services or have private drivers, and hipsters love how "real" the subway is, and don't really commute anyway.

unlike in san fran, there's not a lot of geek chic professionals with money. from a business standpoint, it's pretty conservative, traditional money, with good old ways of getting around.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

enjoy burning out as a junior associate billing >1800h/y before you pay off a fraction of your student loan debt :thumbsup:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The Oatmeal is Dane Cook in web comic form

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wow $160 million, I didn't know junior attorneys could pull that kind of bank right out of school.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

notZaar posted:

Wow $160 million, I didn't know junior attorneys could pull that kind of bank right out of school.

He tested out of math. Had AP in high school

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Nice work...

Tipps posted:

enjoy burning out as a junior associate billing >1800h/y before you pay off a fraction of your student loan debt :thumbsup:
... but this.

I got a nagging suspicion that big law firms hire people from nice schools not just for: (a) alum/devotion to the school; or (b) skill/hard work; but (c) you got severe student loan debt if you went to a nice school and you have to work like a slave.

I went to a poo poo school, barely any loan debt, but was a paralegal for a long time and already had connections so big junior associate slave-hiring firms could go gently caress off.

I have lots of lawyer friends in their late 20's/their 30's that thought law degree = guaranteed pussy. Law degree = pussy that wants you to settle down with, and it can often be a hot girl, but she'll want babies/marriage you will be a slave to the firm, she'll be happy you have money but give you poo poo for not spending more time with the family; she'll take away your manhood and your youth. She'll also get fat.

idk rambling here as a 7 yr lawyer & 7 yr paralegal, just don't fall into that honey pot. I've avoided marriage/kids cause I know what it leads to and people who becomes lawyers, who are smart in a test taking way, are really dumb (need to learn how to not get used).

Also lawyers talk about work too much. Don't do that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mad Monk posted:

Millenial hipster bus company in SF went tits up and you can buy a bus for $5.

http://www.businessinsider.com/leap-declares-bankruptcy-2015-9

lol

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

more like "jerkoff" am i right :wiggle:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Runaktla posted:

Nice work...

... but this.

I got a nagging suspicion that big law firms hire people from nice schools not just for: (a) alum/devotion to the school; or (b) skill/hard work; but (c) you got severe student loan debt if you went to a nice school and you have to work like a slave.

I went to a poo poo school, barely any loan debt, but was a paralegal for a long time and already had connections so big junior associate slave-hiring firms could go gently caress off.

I have lots of lawyer friends in their late 20's/their 30's that thought law degree = guaranteed pussy. Law degree = pussy that wants you to settle down with, and it can often be a hot girl, but she'll want babies/marriage you will be a slave to the firm, she'll be happy you have money but give you poo poo for not spending more time with the family; she'll take away your manhood and your youth. She'll also get fat.

idk rambling here as a 7 yr lawyer & 7 yr paralegal, just don't fall into that honey pot. I've avoided marriage/kids cause I know what it leads to and people who becomes lawyers, who are smart in a test taking way, are really dumb (need to learn how to not get used).

Also lawyers talk about work too much. Don't do that.

As a lawyer, how accurate are Grisham novels re law and life as a lawyer?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

momerath posted:

more like "jerkoff" am i right :wiggle:

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I'd Leap my fist into his stupid face.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oncearoundaltair posted:

I'd Leap my fist into his stupid face.

startups are basically millennial capitalism.

No real goals, business plan, expect to get free money handouts and a complete avoidance of practical problems.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

etalian posted:

startups are basically millennial capitalism.

No real goals, business plan, expect to get free money handouts and a complete avoidance of practical problems.

that rush of wind you hear are the lessons from the dotcom bubble flying over their heads

oh this is rich and savory

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

Waroduce posted:

20yr_old_kids_all_on_their_phones_at_dinner.jpg

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

in the future there will be an ipad built into the table and if you press 'GRAM IT' then the ipad actually spins around to you and takes a pic of your food, hacks your instagram account for a second and uploads the picture for you, 2 dollar charge

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

notZaar posted:

As a lawyer, how accurate are Grisham novels re law and life as a lawyer?
I don't know, never read a Grisham novel. Most lawyers don't do more law stuff outside of the office for shits and giggles (unless it indirectly relates to their work life for marketing purposes). All the "Hey you should watch ... [xyz show about lawyers]" can go gently caress off.

But, I don't know, tell me what weird stuff happens in Grisham novels and I'll tell you if it sounds realistic. I'm hearing another attorney in another office as I'm typing this telling a potential client "Well that's nice, that internet must be a pretty smart lawyer it must be right and I must be bad at what I do... go give it a shot. Bye." There's a lot of reasons to be cynical in law.

I'm a probate lawyer which means (at least in CA) I deal with cases dealing with the probate courts involving taking care of someone else's poo poo cause they're dead (probate), made a trust and put all/some of their poo poo in it then died/got dementia/was too feeble to handle their poo poo (trust admin), are elderly with dementia (conservatorship), or a minor (guardianship), where somebody may or may not be appointed to handle that poo poo.

My day usually consists of going to hearings for menial poo poo with some occasional argument by (usually) sleazy and/or overly emotional family members, cracking the whip on CPAs/clients/other third parties to get them to get me poo poo to make the court happy so it doesn't assrape my client assuming he/she mishandled that someone-else's assets, trying to put lipstick on a pig getting my client out of being assraped by a judge when they were negligent with assets, analyzing trusts/wills/pleadings to see what we should ask from the court, preparing docs to ask certain things from the court, settlement negotiations when someone contests what we do, talking clients off the ledge cause they're flipping out at nothing in particular, giving clients news that their situation sucks, telling clients nicely that the courts are underfunded and that's why their emergency order to save a few hundred thousand in assets is being delayed for two weeks (yay CA Courts though its getting better), and dealing with dumbass attorneys that don't know the law/replace it with being unnecessarily hostile. Stuff like that.

Why I typed all this crap up in a GBS thread about millenials is beyond me I just like bitching.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

extra stout posted:

in the future there will be an ipad built into the table and if you press 'GRAM IT' then the ipad actually spins around to you and takes a pic of your food, hacks your instagram account for a second and uploads the picture for you, 2 dollar charge

Please don't share my startup ideas.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I thought Millennials were good at social media. Three passenger max on one trip is poor advertising.

Frostwerks posted:

i loving hate fun

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

I thought Millennials were good at social media. Three passenger max on one trip is poor advertising.

it was false advertising since it showed women in SF.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Runaktla posted:

I don't know, never read a Grisham novel. Most lawyers don't do more law stuff outside of the office for shits and giggles (unless it indirectly relates to their work life for marketing purposes). All the "Hey you should watch ... [xyz show about lawyers]" can go gently caress off.

But, I don't know, tell me what weird stuff happens in Grisham novels and I'll tell you if it sounds realistic. I'm hearing another attorney in another office as I'm typing this telling a potential client "Well that's nice, that internet must be a pretty smart lawyer it must be right and I must be bad at what I do... go give it a shot. Bye." There's a lot of reasons to be cynical in law.

I'm a probate lawyer which means (at least in CA) I deal with cases dealing with the probate courts involving taking care of someone else's poo poo cause they're dead (probate), made a trust and put all/some of their poo poo in it then died/got dementia/was too feeble to handle their poo poo (trust admin), are elderly with dementia (conservatorship), or a minor (guardianship), where somebody may or may not be appointed to handle that poo poo.

My day usually consists of going to hearings for menial poo poo with some occasional argument by (usually) sleazy and/or overly emotional family members, cracking the whip on CPAs/clients/other third parties to get them to get me poo poo to make the court happy so it doesn't assrape my client assuming he/she mishandled that someone-else's assets, trying to put lipstick on a pig getting my client out of being assraped by a judge when they were negligent with assets, analyzing trusts/wills/pleadings to see what we should ask from the court, preparing docs to ask certain things from the court, settlement negotiations when someone contests what we do, talking clients off the ledge cause they're flipping out at nothing in particular, giving clients news that their situation sucks, telling clients nicely that the courts are underfunded and that's why their emergency order to save a few hundred thousand in assets is being delayed for two weeks (yay CA Courts though its getting better), and dealing with dumbass attorneys that don't know the law/replace it with being unnecessarily hostile. Stuff like that.

Why I typed all this crap up in a GBS thread about millenials is beyond me I just like bitching.

yo everything you wrote so far has been super boring please sue yourself to jail

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

etalian posted:

it was false advertising since it showed women in SF.

at least the black woman is in the back, so some of it is accurate

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

david... posted:

yo everything you wrote so far has been super boring please sue yourself to jail

Thanks I already realized that I was in gbs before I finished my post.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
nvm

take the moon fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 17, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Runaktla posted:

Nice work...

... but this.

fwiw my sister and her husband graduated from a good school and got a great job at a huge corporate law firm and they both hated their lives doing 60+ hours a week of document review in an office a week.

having a law degree is cool though they have their own private practice now.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

fwiw my sister and her husband graduated from a good school and got a great job at a huge corporate law firm and they both hated their lives doing 60+ hours a week of document review in an office a week.

having a law degree is cool though they have their own private practice now.

That's awesome, yeah it's totally not worth it to work like that except to get your boots wet and get a good idea about how bad that bad can get.

There's this poo poo notion out there that working like a slave is part of the job... and that's bullshit.

naem
May 29, 2011

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

dudes like 'gently caress, i brought the engagement ring, but forgot the cock ring how could I be so stupid poo poo poo poo poo poo'

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Runaktla posted:

That's awesome, yeah it's totally not worth it to work like that except to get your boots wet and get a good idea about how bad that bad can get.

There's this poo poo notion out there that working like a slave is part of the job... and that's bullshit.

you're making me feel better about turning down all of my law school offers, at least, so there's that

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

uh, we're a country who has been at war for the past 14 years with a military populated almost entirely by millennials.

Q: When was the last time we declared war?

A: On December 8, 1941, President Roosevelt asked Congress for a declaration of war with Japan; on December 11 he asked for a declaration against Germany and Italy. Congress approved these and thus was war declared.

Standing around schools, protecting kids from being murdered by their own families isn't war. War is the thing where you murder everyone and burn their cities to the ground.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

i'm a snake person and just found out that the law firm for whom i worked this summer made me a permanent offer of employment upon graduation. this time next year, i'll be making $160,000k + bonuses.

it's a sign of the times that snake people have to become luxury prostitutes just to get by

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Runaktla posted:

lawyers.txt

While I'm an excellent lawyer and the degree has taken me to some amazing places, the simple fact of the matter is that I hate doing what lawyers do. I don't enjoy the work. The nature of the profession is parasitic. It doesn't involve making anything, or really contributing anything. I hate having to work with lawyers, they are generally either repugnant, insane, insectoid creatures who gleefully immerse themselves in bureaucratic rules and minutia, or they are lying, aggressive, delusional sociopaths. I hate hearing lawyers talk about their work. When I see them talk excitedly with each other over the trivial minutiae of some motion in a case, I want to gouge my eyes out. I hate doing legal research, and I hate researching legal principles, because they are all arbitrary. I hate putting together deals for corporations, because the work is largely derivative, boiler plate copying of documents from other corporations, mixed in with an insane pessimism and unquenchable paranoia about missing details or pitfalls. The paranoia is unquenchable because there is no way to sit down and establish anything with absolute certainty - the nature of the profession is one of uncertainty and insecurity, based upon nothing but arbitrary and changing rulings, regulations, and so forth. The profession is going downhill - any fool can see that. There will be no job security for any positions other than the most entrenched, indisposable, soulless masters of obscure regulatory schemes cocooned inside ossified, dying bureaucratic nightmares reminiscent of the Byzantine empire. The job market for lawyers will get worse and worse - I'm well set with a successful career, yes, but I am looking 5-10 years down the road, when poo poo really starts to get bad in this country, and the law is not the place to be.

You can do three things as a lawyer. Seriously, the profession boils down to three things. You can fight with people. You can become an expert in something complicated and arbitrary (yet essential) that very few people care about. You can be a professional pessimist, researching and obsessing over pitfalls and traps. Those three basic tasks circumscribe the ENTIRE legal profession, for the most part, with very few exceptions.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Dang son lemme just get a pic of this piece of bread for the twittersphere.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

You can become an expert in something complicated and arbitrary (yet essential) that very few people care about.

This is me. I'm a "non-traditional" lawyer doing policy development and lobbying. The extent of my contact with other people is designing model legislation by committee and meeting government people to get said laws passed - which can take anywhere from 3 to 5 years, if it even happens at all. Otherwise, it gets put on a shelf forever.

The job is dull as gently caress, and has no possible advancement opportunity, but I get to go home at 4pm every day and I make a comfortable living that, while it's small by Big Law standards, is more than enough for someone like me who is a yuppie millenial dual-income/no-kids guy.

Basically, being a lawyer loving sucks.

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

lomao @ "goodbye leap"

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

momerath posted:

lomao @ "goodbye leap"

I loved their pretentious west coast commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72a04AxtInw

yup a service that caters to techies is going to get the bus packed with drop dead gorgeous women

• Locked thread