Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Locator posted:

Isn't the 767 (i.e. KC46) a widebody though?

It's about 1/3 wider than the 707 (12.x' vs 16.x')...the KC-135's fuselage isn't exactly round so a direct comparison isn't especially useful.

Edit: 777 is 20'4".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I always thought is was a widebody, but don't work in or around aviation. I just see them on the cargo ramp at Sky Harbor wearing UPS livery, and they are noticeably larger than the UPS 757's (but much smaller than the Fed-Ex MD-11's).

Didn't realize they were that much smaller than the others, although I know the 777 is freaking huge.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Locator posted:

Isn't the 767 (i.e. KC46) a widebody though?

In the civilian world, the 767 walks a fine line between being a narrowbody and widebody; while it does have two aisles in a typical cabin configuration (which is how most people determine if an aircraft is a widebody or not), it is typically only 7-abreast seating, which is only one additional seat compared to a typical narrowbody airliner like a 737 or A320.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah I'd call the 767 a narrow widebody just to be as confusing as possible. :v:

Anyway, consider it in terms of fuel load: according to what I'm seeing the KC-46 will carry a useful fuel load of just under 210,000 lb - so not that much more than a KC-135 and still clearly nowhere close to the fuel payload of a KC-10 (or, presumably, a KC-777 should that ever exist)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why hasn't Boeing pitched a KC-747 yet again?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Why hasn't Boeing pitched a KC-747 yet again?

a 747-8 tanker would be too cool for the Air Force and you know it

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

the 767 is a medium-body

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A380 tanker please :france:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jumpingmanjim posted:

An-225 tanker or bust :ussr:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

An-225 tanker or bust :ussr:

Poor choice of words there

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Koesj posted:

Why wouldn't they just buy more KC-46s? What's the use-case of a DC-10 or larger-sized plane when you've got a long range, somehwat smaller widebody coming into service already?

It's actually really difficult and esoteric to explain, but the big/small tanker mix has worked out really well for the USAF. There are some missions where having a single aircraft with a large capacity is better than sending two smaller aircraft, and some situations where having smaller, more numerous tankers is better.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Look like I missed both rear end chat and KC-10 chat :( oh well!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's actually really difficult and esoteric to explain, but the big/small tanker mix has worked out really well for the USAF. There are some missions where having a single aircraft with a large capacity is better than sending two smaller aircraft, and some situations where having smaller, more numerous tankers is better.

Huh, I wouldn't think it should be THAT hard for people to figure out... What is your "customer"? 2 bombers or a whole squad/wing of fighters. Send the fat bastard with a big tank or the little guys to refuel a whole bunch of the other little guys. yes/no/dukedumb? That's sort of the way I always reconciled it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Jumpingmanjim posted:

i support this

e:

real planes have curves

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

real planes don't look hosed up :colbert:

besides you guys aren't thinking this through. Stretch A380 tanker. would lose on appeal to the KC-777 anyway

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
KC-777: boring.
KC-747-8: totally dope. :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KC-&TSB: shake your booty

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I know for a fact I've got photos somewhere of a tanker rear end (probably a 135) from an E-3 flight deck, but I can't find them. But I did find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BYeOVnO0Y

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

I know for a fact I've got photos somewhere of a tanker rear end (probably a 135) from an E-3 flight deck, but I can't find them.

Oh, I've got a bunch of KC-135 rear end. Flew over 1100 hours. Never saw a KC-10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g42R8hemBVs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znC2OI9QKz4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV3ncG5hP2k

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I only sat up front for AR a couple of times (and I'm annoyed I can't find the pics, though yours are better) so it was probably a 135 every time. I did get a KC-10 ride though, so I've got a bunch of pictures from THAT perspective that I'll post someday. A-10s, GR-7s, a couple of flavors of Mirage. And one guy that punched flares while taking gas. :stare: The boom operator almost poo poo himself.

VV I want to see that.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 17, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've also got a rare photo of both Alaska AWACS sharing close airspace.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SyHopeful posted:

Look like I missed both rear end chat and KC-10 chat :(
Aww, what happened, did the air stairs not get out there in time?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Inacio posted:

e:

real planes have curves

That's curveist :

fe:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
ED: ^^^ I never liked that plane for some reason. :shrug:

I'm sorry... wait... do they seriously have to pop ~11 screws every time they want to refuel the F-35??

Look at 1:49:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA_E8I3zO80

"there's GOT to be a better way?" [/infomercial]

marumaru
May 20, 2013

karoshi posted:

That's curveist :

I love that plane, mostly because it doesn't look very plane-like. Plus it looks like a spaceship, so that's cool.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
http://gfycat.com/HatefulSpeedyDodobird

:stare:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

I was wondering when that was going to make its way over here. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rumor is the F-117 may come back, they have been flying it lately at Nellis.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

ED: ^^^ I never liked that plane for some reason. :shrug:

I'm sorry... wait... do they seriously have to pop ~11 screws every time they want to refuel the F-35??

Look at 1:49:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA_E8I3zO80

"there's GOT to be a better way?" [/infomercial]

Looks like some kind of half-turn fastener to me. There probably is a better way, but that isn't the worst thing ever.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Wouldn't it take a ton of effort, time, and money to recertify aircraft that have already been decommissioned and retired? What sort of benefit would there even be to resurrecting the F-117? I feel like it wouldn't be particularly effective against any modern military- I certainly wouldn't want to take it to war against Russia or China.

I suppose if they could convert it to a drone it would be good practice for learning how to combat stealth technologies, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Luneshot posted:

Wouldn't it take a ton of effort, time, and money to recertify aircraft that have already been decommissioned and retired? What sort of benefit would there even be to resurrecting the F-117? I feel like it wouldn't be particularly effective against any modern military- I certainly wouldn't want to take it to war against Russia or China.

I suppose if they could convert it to a drone it would be good practice for learning how to combat stealth technologies, though.

They were not decommissioned so much as wrapped and mothballed. They are probably pretty close to ready in their current state and it would be easy to return them to service.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

I know for a fact I've got photos somewhere of a tanker rear end (probably a 135) from an E-3 flight deck, but I can't find them. But I did find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BYeOVnO0Y

Is that live fire at a loving airshow?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

CommieGIR posted:

They've been flying for years as a stealthy platform for radar testing out in the desert.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Phanatic posted:

Is that live fire at a loving airshow?

I need to know what airshow that is. For science.

:gizz:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

They were not decommissioned so much as wrapped and mothballed. They are probably pretty close to ready in their current state and it would be easy to return them to service.

Theres only around 60 of them and they can only carry 2 bombs per sortie, why would they need to return them to service?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres only around 60 of them and they can only carry 2 bombs per sortie, why would they need to return them to service?

RF-117?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

One pilot taking two bombs exactly where you want them is a lot more useful than twenty pilots running a whole strike package to put two bombs where you want them, is the logic. Focusing on the -117's payload capacity is missing the point.

Whether or not the F-117A can still handle the radar it's likely to face in any given environment is probably classified up the rear end and certainly something I don't know so :shrug:

I'm gonna assume "don't fly it in the exact same flight corridor every day, you idiots" probably made it into the rulebook, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Here's a question... Why does the USAF seem to have such a hard-on for "optionally-manned," in this new round of development (NGB/LRS?) It seems like if your remote C&C is good enough that the aircraft can perform its mission without meat on board, then why go through the trouble of wasting all the weight and space in the airframe to make room for the meat, and keep it alive?

If it can't be trusted for some missions, like nuclear weapons delivery, then why waste the weight and space on the UL/DL equipment for it to be an unmanned aircraft. The two design goals just seem mutually exclusive...

*Looks at the F-35 program.*

Oooooooooooooooh.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If we can't understand what we're doing, neither can the enemy.

:usafsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Leather Bear posted:

They've been flying for years as a stealthy platform for radar testing out in the desert.
My understanding was that part of that particular wrap and mothball program was that each airframe had to be flown every so often in order to ensure the airframe and powerplant were able to be returned to service.