Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Scientists will have to invent bigger pockets for cargo shorts because these nerds keep buying larger and larger phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I heard Jegs were making a comeback.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

bull3964 posted:

Unless Moto's status page isn't up to date (and I fully acknowledge that could be the case as I've heard that happen before), I'm doubting my X will make the estimated tomorrow delivery since it's still in "Being Built" phase.

At least I'm not the only one. Estimated delivery of tomorrow and mine still shows as being glued together. :sigh:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Depths posted:

Scientists will have to invent bigger pockets for cargo shorts because these nerds keep buying larger and larger phones

I can't wait to see someone using the new ipad pro 12" as a phone. And as a camera. And then Samsung to make their equivalent tablet.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
The problem with Samsungs isn't the usability of the UI, it's that they're rarely updated and their performance seems to fall off a cliff after 12 months. The screens are amazing though, god drat, and that's been true for a while now. I mean, the screen on my Note 2 still holds up pretty well compared with most Android phones sold today - the colors and brightness are excellent it's just the resolution that's lacking.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Wax Dynasty posted:

The problem with Samsungs isn't the usability of the UI, it's that they're rarely updated and their performance seems to fall off a cliff after 12 months.

Yeah, the UI doesn't really matter that much. What does matter is the giant pile of Samsung-only crap I see in our Crashlytics and bug reports.

shalnark
Nov 17, 2014

Wax Dynasty posted:

The problem with Samsungs isn't the usability of the UI, it's that they're rarely updated and their performance seems to fall off a cliff after 12 months. The screens are amazing though, god drat, and that's been true for a while now. I mean, the screen on my Note 2 still holds up pretty well compared with most Android phones sold today - the colors and brightness are excellent it's just the resolution that's lacking.

I've had my note 3 for 2 years now, and I haven't noticed any decline in performance you speak of.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
My note 4 turned into a turd after the 5.0.1 update

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Depths posted:

To be fair, that happened to a lot of phones with 5.0/5.0.1.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Does the 3rd gen Moto G seriously not support driving mode? :cripes:

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

shalnark posted:

I've had my note 3 for 2 years now, and I haven't noticed any decline in performance you speak of.

At least on the Note 2, the KitKat update was notorious for killing performance. Factory resets don't do much and since mine is a Verizon phone, there's no safe way to unlock the phone and install a different ROM.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
New Blackberry Venice leak :derp:

Just pictures though and some supposed confirmation it'll be using an 808.

http://www.androidauthority.com/blackberry-venice-hands-on-exclusive-642334/

Also some more click-bait garbage about the Huawei Nexus 6, supposedly confirmed to be using an 810 based on some benchmarks linked below the quote.

ClickBait Chinese site, amazing translation posted:

Huawei Nexus phone rumored to use Hass processor can temporarily a paragraph, and now can determine the aircraft is equipped with Snapdragon 810 processor.
Today, we find a GeekBench database codenamed "angler" Huawei new machine, the machine uses Xiaolong 810 processor, built-in 3GB of memory, running Android 6.0 system , combined with the information, the aircraft Huawei Nexus the possibility of the phone close to 100%.

In accordance with the previous statement, the aircraft may also be equipped with a 5.5 inches screen, but it is not clear whether it is 2K, after Huawei had once ferocious tucao 2K screen. In addition, since the beginning of Android 6.0 native support for USB Type-C, so the machine will be equipped with USB Type-C interface.
Run points, since this is Huawei's first aspect Xiaolong 810, plus natively system virtually no "to run sub-plus", the only 1156 single-threaded, multi-threaded, but also is 3641. In contrast, equipped with the same processor, music as music phone 1366 Max single-threaded, multi-threaded to 5172.

https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx31&os=Android&api=gl&D=Huawei+Angler&testgroup=info

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody got a Moto X Pure/Style with the "Champagne" frame or a walnut back? Im curious how it looks in the real world.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Another big Blackberry Venice leak. Some Blackberry-specific tweaking here but so far looks stock enough, for me anyway.

Edit: argh beaten, took me way too long to compose that post.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not gonna lie that is a really good looking device for it having a slide out keyboard.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Depths posted:

Magic mushrooms will do that for you. Mine finally got the 5.1.1 update and drat the recent app menu is fast.

Lblitzer posted:

Not gonna lie that is a really good looking device for it having a slide out keyboard.

That fake edge tho looks awful.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

It looks awful. The curving screen is terrible. It looks super plasticky and the speaker holes look cheap. It's going to be an inch thick and stupidly top heavy with the keyboard open. It says BlackBerry on the front of it :barf:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
The phone's bad. Everyone knows phone keyboards should slide out from the side.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BottleKnight posted:

The phone's bad.

Well yeah, it's a Blackberry.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Rastor posted:

Edit: argh beaten, took me way too long to compose that post.

Yours was way better though, I was lazy.

The only thing stopping me from buying it right now is I don't know when the gently caress it's going to be released and Blackberry might as well just say when at this point considering there's more and more leaks. It's not a secret anymore, just tell us for fucks sake and try to save your dying company you dicks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

It looks awful. The curving screen is terrible. It looks super plasticky and the speaker holes look cheap.

Yeah, I think it looks like poo poo for these reasons.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Looks like Blackberry convinced Samsung to sell them panels from the S6.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Looks like Blackberry convinced Samsung to sell them panels from the S6.

I'm pretty sure the edges don't actually curve, only the glass.

Personally I think it looks just fine, though I can see how the design might be divisive.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rastor posted:

I'm pretty sure the edges don't actually curve, only the glass.

Personally I think it looks just fine, though I can see how the design might be divisive.

My S6 doesn't curve either. :)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
For some reason, when I have Ambient Display turned on on my 2015 Moto G, it activates the display like every fifteen seconds if I have a notification that I haven't looked at. The phone is just sitting on my desk doing nothing and the screen keeps turning on. Is this how Ambient Display is supposed to work, or is something triggering it erroneously?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The rear end Stooge posted:

For some reason, when I have Ambient Display turned on on my 2015 Moto G, it activates the display like every fifteen seconds if I have a notification that I haven't looked at. The phone is just sitting on my desk doing nothing and the screen keeps turning on. Is this how Ambient Display is supposed to work, or is something triggering it erroneously?

That's how Moto's display is supposed to work. Android's (now) build-in Ambient Display doesn't work quite the same way, from my understanding.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The rear end Stooge posted:

On the X Pure Edition I know that it gets triggered by movement. Maybe that could be it?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

hooah posted:

That's how Moto's display is supposed to work. Android's (now) build-in Ambient Display doesn't work quite the same way, from my understanding.

I'm using Ambient Display, not Moto Display.

Protocol7 posted:

On the X Pure Edition I know that it gets triggered by movement. Maybe that could be it?

Nope, it's stationary. Wiggling the phone doesn't appear to have any effect.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Wax Dynasty posted:

The problem with Samsungs isn't the usability of the UI, it's that they're rarely updated and their performance seems to fall off a cliff after 12 months

I'll admit that the S5 not getting Android M is loving baffling.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

It's actually not getting it?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

It's kinda baffling that active display doesn't work on the nexus 6. I am aware lollipop has its own take on it but I want to at least try the Motorola version.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

myron cope posted:

It's kinda baffling that active display doesn't work on the nexus 6. I am aware lollipop has its own take on it but I want to at least try the Motorola version.

How is it baffling that a stock Android phone doesn't support a custom software solution?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Daily Forecast posted:

You guys really need to quit repeating this poo poo because the source was some 4th tier tech blog site that didn't even pretend they had a source.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nimper posted:

How is it baffling that a stock Android phone doesn't support a custom software solution?

Motorola manufactured the Nexus 6.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

LG manufactured the Nexus 5, but it doesn't have dual window or double tap to wake or other LG stuff...

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Samsung manufactured the Galaxy Nexus but you didn't see TouchWiz on it.

E: ^^^ Yeah, what he said.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What the hell is this and why was it popping up on the CNN webpage when I was driving home?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Three Olives posted:

What the hell is this and why was it popping up on the CNN webpage when I was driving home?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BqFkRwdFZ0

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just got updated to Android Pay + Wallet. Is it expected behavior that only my loyalty cards carried over and none of my credit/debit cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

RVProfootballer posted:

LG manufactured the Nexus 5, but it doesn't have dual window or double tap to wake or other LG stuff...

The Nexus 5 can do double tap to wake but it's not supported in stock ROMs.