Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Zedd posted:

:v:

(I like Katoki's redesigns usually)

Now do WaDom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Now I'm curious to see what a Turn-A ver. Ka would look like.

Katoki is supposedly a huge fan of Syd Mead, so he put a lot of effort into making the MG look just right.

Though if you want something more radical, he also did this sketch once of a more traditionally Gundamy Turn A.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Everything about the redesign is terrible.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
If I didn't have the original Turn-A design to compare that to, I'd think that was pretty good take on the standard Gundam design tropes.

Of course, everything pales in comparison to the Turn-A's glorious mustache.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TNG posted:

Everything about the redesign is terrible.

I'd take it over the original.

Mind you I'd take anything over the original but still.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Aside from the hosed up head I actually like that redesign.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have still been plucking away at rewatching G-Reco and have concluded that unlike a lot of Gundam shows it's even better on a rewatch, it's way easier to appreciate all the small things in every episode and the pacing holds up well the second time around, instead of making it a slog at times.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Hello Gundam posters!

With a new Gundam series on the horizon and this thread being super old (and Zorak not around to update the OP), I've been in secret talks with one of you about the possibility of rebooting the thread using the new series as the Year Zero marker. On this subject, I'd like your collective feedback on a few things since I am not a regular contributor in this thread.
  1. I think it'd be fine if the new thread pulled double-duty, providing a safe space to talk about the new series while also catering to general discussion of the franchise and past titles. However, my contact tells me it's customary to have a separate thread for whatever's currently airing. Any thoughts on this?
  2. Is their anything in your opinion that the new OP absolutely must include? Is it enough to provide a general overview of the franchise, or do you guys want something more detailed and in-depth?
  3. Do you think we even need a new thread at all? Nothing's been set in stone here, I'm just opening up the subject for conversation.
Feel free to discuss these questions alongside any other concerns, inquiries, or alarmist hatred you may wish to express.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello Gundam posters!

With a new Gundam series on the horizon and this thread being super old (and Zorak not around to update the OP), I've been in secret talks with one of you about the possibility of rebooting the thread using the new series as the Year Zero marker. On this subject, I'd like your collective feedback on a few things since I am not a regular contributor in this thread.
  1. I think it'd be fine if the new thread pulled double-duty, providing a safe space to talk about the new series while also catering to general discussion of the franchise and past titles. However, my contact tells me it's customary to have a separate thread for whatever's currently airing. Any thoughts on this?
  2. Is their anything in your opinion that the new OP absolutely must include? Is it enough to provide a general overview of the franchise, or do you guys want something more detailed and in-depth?
  3. Do you think we even need a new thread at all? Nothing's been set in stone here, I'm just opening up the subject for conversation.
Feel free to discuss these questions alongside any other concerns, inquiries, or alarmist hatred you may wish to express.

Yes, I think we do need a separate G-Tekketsu thread. That's how it usually works, and it works fine. I'm neutral on the idea of a new general Gundam thread - either way works fine for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello Gundam posters!

I think a new thread is good, if just because that way people can discuss the old series without it getting caught up in conversation about G-Tekketsu

The only thing I really think it should include is a list of what is and isn't available officially.

A new thread is nice but I don't feel like it's *100% super necessary*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really think think we need a new thread for arguing about which Gudman/series/character is the worst but I'm not especially against it either. We always have a series specific thread for a new show though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
We definitely need a new thread

Zorak posted:

What's New in Gundam?
  • Bandai has decided to abandon the North America market entirely, and has ceased production outright on Gundam products here. Their Japanese-style business practices have caused them to conclude that they'd be better off not even trying.
  • Gundam AGE just ended. It was awful. Sunrise has basically said outright that they hosed up.
  • Gundam Origin is still up in the air. We know nothing of their plans.
  • Gundam Unicorn is still slowly coming out, and it still owns. It's making Sunrise all the dollars, all of them.
  • G-Reko, Tomino's new novel/media series, is apparently going to be animated. We have no idea what the deal with it is, one way or another.

None of those are new and 4 of them are now just wrong.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
One thing the new OP shouldn't have, IMO, is opinions about the quality of various series. Every Gundam series, aside from AGE, has it's fans, so the OP should be neutral.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Yeah I'm on board with a new general Gundam series thread plus a dedicated thread for Iron-Blooded Orphans.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
New thread sounds good. But yes, we usually have separate threads for new series so people can discuss older stuff without scrolling through a bunch of posts and maybe accidentally getting spoiled on the latest eps.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
I'm also up for both a new general thread and a separate thread for Tekketsu.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
as someone who lurked this and the previous incarnations of the thread I request that the new thread be titled gundam mk. II!

and then some nebulous future thread be called nu gundam! (not just for the shows)

also that someone saves and reposts the mobile suit R&D memos/notes from around page 378 or so

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello Gundam posters!

1. I think it would be an interesting test. My rationale is basically: a large majority of the posts in this thread tend to be bitching about the exact same shows in the exact same way, or gunpla posts that belong in the gunpla thread so I feel it would really add some variety to the thread.

It'd be going against tradition yeah but if it doesn't work out it's not like it's something completely irreversible.

2. I think a general overview might be for the best since whenever someone wants to get into Gundam they'll typically just post in the thread asking about it.

3. I think it's good to reboot threads every once in awhile and this one has been kicking since 2012 so it seems like as good a time as any.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

A list of each series with a little blurb and the ways you can watch them (subbed/dubbed versions, blu-rays, streaming, compilation movies etc) is probably all an OP needs, honestly. That, a "if you want to get into Gundam then watching X is a good start" notice that we can spend the first twenty pages debating (you should start with the 0079 compilation movies), and a big link to the gunpla thread. Maybe write "you don't need to watch all of them" in there as well, because there's a lot of Gundam and an lot of it isn't actually that good, and you don't need to have watched it all! It's cool if you don't watch AGE or couldn't sit through all of Victory or whatever.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure I feel we need a separate thread. It feels like this thread is the same (usually whiny) arguments over and over. I feel all that does is make gundam fans seem really negative and make other people less likely to actually try to get interested in gundam.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Droyer posted:

I'm not sure I feel we need a separate thread. It feels like this thread is the same (usually whiny) arguments over and over. I feel all that does is make gundam fans seem really negative and make other people less likely to actually try to get interested in gundam.

Are you implying that threads about current anime aren't whiny and negative? The G-Reco thread was a swirling diarrhea maelstrom of shitposting from several individuals that makes this thread at its worst look excellent. Most of the straight up negative discussion here is pretty much "Wow, AGE was loving bad" and "Wow, SEED Destiny was a trainwreck and Hirai is a bad character designer". Most of the rest is critical analysis of things, which includes talking about something's flaws even if it is good(V Gundam, for example).

While this thread has a fair amount of times where it devolves into samey discussions, on the flip side there have been several times where brand new posters have come in, asked what to watch, been given recommendations, and then have come back and done episode-by-episode reactions that have prompted the thread to expand upon and discuss specific points about characters and series. I feel like these sorts of posts won't really occur in a mashed up megathread and I feel like people who aren't currently watching G-Tekketsu or are uninterested in it will be driven away by the fact that a significant portion of new posts will effectively be a giant wall of spoilers for the new show even if all they want to do is talk about something in G Gundam or whatever.

In short, a new megathread and a separate G-Tekketsu thread would be good simply because that's always worked in the past and a thread absolutely full of spoilers for a brand new show is not going to encourage the participation of people looking to get into the greater Gundam franchise in general.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are plenty of current season threads that manage to not constantly whine about the same tired old points

The main Gundam thread has plenty of (untagged!) spoilers and I feel that anyone who clicks on a thread for a franchise that old would (and should) expect that. I feel like the same old bitching has more of an impact; if I hadn't seen a Gundam show before and I click the thread before and then after a new show airs only to see the exact same complaints about Destiny being tossed around, that would do an excellent job at convincing me to not bother.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

There are plenty of current season threads that manage to not constantly whine about the same tired old points

The main Gundam thread has plenty of (untagged!) spoilers and I feel that anyone who clicks on a thread for a franchise that old would (and should) expect that. I feel like the same old bitching has more of an impact; if I hadn't seen a Gundam show before and I click the thread before and then after a new show airs only to see the exact same complaints about Destiny being tossed around, that would do an excellent job at convincing me to not bother.

Yeah I generally think open spoilers are kinda dumb, but if you go into a franchise megathread where most of the series' events fold into the next, you should really know what to expect.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Srice posted:

I can understand your point but we obviously don't have any examples of people who clicked on the Gundam thread and went :yikes: and decided not to bother(because they decided not to bother), but we have a bunch of examples of people who clicked on this thread and used it as a launching point to watching Gundam. I especially enjoyed NikkolasKing's descent into the franchise because it spawned some interesting discussion about setting background stuff. Those kind of experiences are why I feel the megathread has value, even if it's occasionally a little stale.

Most current season threads that don't devolve into whinefests on some level are usually dead threads that get like four posts every time a new episode comes out followed by nothing until the following week because discussion about how awesome something is with no critical analysis is more boring and samey than talking about why Char is a hosed up psychopath for the hundredth time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel there's a real difference between critical analysis and endlessly repetitive bitching, obviously I think it'd be real dumb to say that people should never be negative

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel there's a real difference between critical analysis and endlessly repetitive bitching, obviously I think it'd be real dumb to say that people should never be negative

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

bitching about people bitching about *charinCCA/seed/katoki/etc* is the new bitching about *charinCCA/seed/katoki/etc*

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Red Bones posted:

A list of each series with a little blurb and the ways you can watch them (subbed/dubbed versions, blu-rays, streaming, compilation movies etc) is probably all an OP needs, honestly. That, a "if you want to get into Gundam then watching X is a good start" notice that we can spend the first twenty pages debating (you should start with the 0079 compilation movies), and a big link to the gunpla thread. Maybe write "you don't need to watch all of them" in there as well, because there's a lot of Gundam and an lot of it isn't actually that good, and you don't need to have watched it all! It's cool if you don't watch AGE or couldn't sit through all of Victory or whatever.

There was this chart I found way back when I started Gundam.

I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it. Overall very opinionated though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NikkolasKing posted:

There was this chart I found way back when I started Gundam.

I agree with some of it and disagree with some of it. Overall very opinionated though.

That chart is all hosed up. They've got "Fan-favorite from Zeta get put in humiliating situations (Yazan, Bright)" as a con for ZZ

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
And for pros for Awakening of the the Trailblazer it says "Builds on many of the strengths of the first season of the series"

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
The new OP for a gundam thread should just be http://youtu.be/2S7r-rtB8Zsthat

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm down for both a new Gundam Megathread and a seperate one for the coming new series.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello Gundam posters!

I think the new thread should include a secret provision allowing control of all gundam threads to pass on to a theoretical race of gundam watching ubermench should they arise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is a heavy burden but I will take the responsibility of controlling Gundam from here on out.

First declaration: Crossbone Gundam is banned forever until it gets a better artist.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Too bad, you just mysteriously died and I've seized power. Let a new reign of Gundam X supremacy begin.

Or at least until my Hitlerest son kills me.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Too bad, you just mysteriously died and I've seized power. Let a new reign of Gundam X supremacy begin.

I like it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh great and exalted BlitzBlast, I humbly request an Advance of Zeta state. Or at least a Sentinel province? A Hathaway's Flash county?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

It is a heavy burden but I will take the responsibility of controlling Gundam from here on out.

First declaration: Crossbone Gundam is banned forever until it gets a better artist.

seconded

*stares longingly at crossbone model on desk*

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

This thread is just endless bitching about old series most of the time so I'm gonna second or third or whatever us just using the new thread to pull double duty so we have something new to talk about sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Also a brief description of each series and maybe a pro/con argument for watching it could be nice?

• Locked thread