Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
KSBD was pretty neat, but after I caught up I immediately put it with Girl Genius in my "check back in a year and read the next chapter" pile. I can't imagine following comics that are all slow burns and massive exposition dumps page by page, y'know? At least Order of the Stick tries to put at least one joke or plot development in every update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

That would be a bit weird, since they've got full moderation turned on - they're hand-approving every comment before it appears on the comic anyway. (They've said they might stop doing that after the comic stops being about rape.) It might just be that they got sorted below the "load more comments" line at the bottom, since Disqus sorts things based on how many times they're upvoted, not chronologically, and it's unlikely that criticism of the comic is getting upvoted by the readers.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, just that it would be weird.

The full moderation thing is recent though.

fairportfan posted:

Are all comments moderated now, or was it just mine a while ago?

strongfemaleprotagonist(mod) posted:

Yes, to keep this a safe space I'm modding everything (at least while we're on this arc about some intense topics), thanks for your patience!
-Molly
Not having seen the posts I can't tell if the posts were hostile to any one in particular or just trolling but the next post by Molly is what concerns me.

strongfemaleprotagonist(Mod) posted:

Comments that pick fights, are negative of the comic without saying anything interesting, and question/downplay the experiences of minorities and women are all things that I generally don't feel the need to host on this site. I'm still figuring this out and finding time for it in my schedule, but I really appreciate people being respectful and smart and cool!
-Molly
I've seen post like this before and it sadly usually means that the powers at be just don't want anyone telling them their comic has problems. Again, I don't know what was said but from what I've seen recently on twitter from Molly I wouldn't be surprised if she was just purging any comics that point out the problems that this chapter is facing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Ah, I stand corrected. Looking back on it, you actually missed a couple of somewhat more worrisome comments on the previous day's comic:

quote:

hello, it's me, Molly, the person who draws this free comic and also moderates it. If something looks like a fat joke I am going to delete it without pondering its double meanings, because misinterpretation is very easy online and I don't want people to feel uncomfortable in the comments.

quote:

and now that I'm thinking about it, another rough guideline - a free webcomic is a little bit like Brennan and I cooked a big meal and invited over to our house anyone who wants to eat it. People picking fights with each other or shouting about how terrible the food is will get kicked out. Sorry if that's not how comments are done everywhere, but we've put a lot of time and energy into making this comic and keeping it updating, and that's what I'm comfortable with on our site.

I can appreciate the intent of strict moderation (hell, look where I'm posting this), but it's something that does have to be handled with care. What reads to one person as "shouting about how terrible the food is" might actually be just a relatively normal criticism that happened to hit at a bad time, and the first one (in reference to a deleted comment using the term "ham-handed") is just way out there. Earlier comments by that same account suggest that the writer doesn't look at the comments at all until after the issue is over to avoid any potential influence on the writing, which is probably wise.

I really do hope this issue ends soon. It seems like it hasn't been that great an experience for anybody.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I want to keep this a safe space while we depict grabbing up rapists and stabbing them and cutting words into their flesh as they die and then justify it as a pretty cool and OK thing to do with pages of statistics.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

I want to keep this a safe space while we depict grabbing up rapists and stabbing them and cutting words into their flesh as they die and then justify it as a pretty cool and OK thing to do with pages of statistics.

this is a safe space for committing violence against your fellow man, as long as that violence isn't rape.

also bad writing and artwork. it's a doublesafe space.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

The full moderation thing is recent though.

Not having seen the posts I can't tell if the posts were hostile to any one in particular or just trolling but the next post by Molly is what concerns me.

I've seen post like this before and it sadly usually means that the powers at be just don't want anyone telling them their comic has problems. Again, I don't know what was said but from what I've seen recently on twitter from Molly I wouldn't be surprised if she was just purging any comics that point out the problems that this chapter is facing.

I made a couple comments awhile back that were like, mildly criticizing the pacing of the Patrick/Office scene and the sudden shift at the conclusion of it (that definitely did not touch on any sensitive issues) that got deleted pretty quickly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Going back a little bit, how on earth did this pass so quietly among all the rapetalk:

Oh hi Mega Girl I just kidnapped a bunch of people and drugged them and am doing a bunch of stuff with their brains without their consent but it's okay they won't remember a thing in the morning! Where are my manners here's a present!

When I read this I was just kind of stunned that the author is so preoccupied with :tvtropes: but it apparently didn't occur to him that this is the mental analogue of the physical crime. No one in the world would be okay with having this done to them without their consent and many (I think most) who found out about it afterward would have just the same reaction to someone who had been drugged and physically raped. There are some comments that point out it's not very nice (and a whole lot more saying it's not a big deal) but none of them make the connection to date rape either :confused:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Because morality in this comic doesn't really extend much past Alison's current opinion of that person.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No see it only counts as bad if they're dead or if someone touches their sex bits.

Although maybe the being dead thing isn't that bad, really. That's what the comic is going into now. The morality of corpses is pretty uncomplicated.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
While we're bringing up stuff that went without comment in this chapter it took a while for me to notice that "actually John Henry shouldn't have been such a whiner about his impending unemployment" is basically what paladin is saying, which is really loving lovely.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I made a couple comments awhile back that were like, mildly criticizing the pacing of the Patrick/Office scene and the sudden shift at the conclusion of it (that definitely did not touch on any sensitive issues) that got deleted pretty quickly.
Oh I'm not doubting that it's happening. But I didn't see it when it was happening so I didn't want to assume either way.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ah, I stand corrected. Looking back on it, you actually missed a couple of somewhat more worrisome comments on the previous day's comic:
See I've enjoyed a fair amount of ignorance towards Molly's antics and this chapter has just made me aware of how immature her handling of these things are. I've heard a similar metaphor to her kitchen one (the person in question used their living room instead) and it's weird that they would even allow comments if they didn't expect people to have contrary opinions. That mentality reeks of trying to create a hugbox where only people who love their work can comment and everyone else isn't welcome. That or they realize that they've mishandled the topic of this chapter and are just trying to keep themselves insulated from as much criticism as possible.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

SlothfulCobra posted:

The morality of corpses is pretty uncomplicated.

Pope Stephen VI begs to differ.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Flesh Forge posted:

Going back a little bit, how on earth did this pass so quietly among all the rapetalk:

Oh hi Mega Girl I just kidnapped a bunch of people and drugged them and am doing a bunch of stuff with their brains without their consent but it's okay they won't remember a thing in the morning! Where are my manners here's a present!

When I read this I was just kind of stunned that the author is so preoccupied with :tvtropes: but it apparently didn't occur to him that this is the mental analogue of the physical crime. No one in the world would be okay with having this done to them without their consent and many (I think most) who found out about it afterward would have just the same reaction to someone who had been drugged and physically raped. There are some comments that point out it's not very nice (and a whole lot more saying it's not a big deal) but none of them make the connection to date rape either :confused:

Uh...Patrick is/was a super villain and that has never really changed. He also talks about murdering people in the next few pages too.

It's glossed over because Allison glosses over it because she's infatuated with Patrick until a few pages later when she realizes that all of this is bad and she pretty much verbally crushes Patrick and says that he's on borrowed time to find his conspiracy.

IMO despite saying she's not crazy Moonshadow actually is crazy.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Uh...Patrick is/was a super villain and that has never really changed. He also talks about murdering people in the next few pages too.

It's glossed over because Allison glosses over it because she's infatuated with Patrick until a few pages later when she realizes that all of this is bad and she pretty much verbally crushes Patrick and says that he's on borrowed time to find his conspiracy.

post/username combo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

That's not the point, it isn't that Patrick did a horrible thing, it's that Alison is right there witnessing it and having it explained to her but where's my manners here's your present! How could pretty much any person who is not a total sociopath (particularly a woman, PARTICULARLY the social justice warrior that she's deliberately painted to be) just get all gooey and blushy in a room full of drugged kidnap victims who are being blatantly victimized? The crushing Patrick gets a few pages later is not because of the kidnapped people he's mind-raping, it's because Alison got mad over how he failed to flatter her correctly.

e: when she storms off she even leaves the unconscious scientists with him what the gently caress

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 17, 2015

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Flesh Forge posted:

That's not the point, it isn't that Patrick did a horrible thing, it's that Alison is right there witnessing it and having it explained to her but where's my manners here's your present! How could pretty much any person who is not a total sociopath (particularly a woman, PARTICULARLY the social justice warrior that she's deliberately painted to be) just get all gooey and blushy in a room full of drugged kidnap victims who are being blatantly victimized? The crushing Patrick gets a few pages later is not because of the kidnapped people he's mind-raping, it's because Alison got mad over how he failed to flatter her correctly.

e: when she storms off she even leaves the unconscious scientists with him what the gently caress
Seems like you age with Mary. She also said that Alison seems unable to understand victimisation.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Err no I think the author is the one who's a bit unable actually.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

reignonyourparade posted:

While we're bringing up stuff that went without comment in this chapter it took a while for me to notice that "actually John Henry shouldn't have been such a whiner about his impending unemployment" is basically what paladin is saying, which is really loving lovely.

I don't think that's what she's saying at all. The only direct statement she has on John Henry is that one painting of him palling around with a robot, which clearly shows she thinks the man and the machine shouldn't have been put into competition. So rather than force him to work himself to death, the machine lets him benefit instead of (or at least, along with) the railroad owner.

Obviously how things would have to be structured for that to be the case is outside the scope of that one painting, but she definitely sees John Henry as a "battery person".

I still love Paladin's section of the chapter, no matter how the rest of it turned out.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Paladin's whole section was really strong, which is why it's weird that Patrick's is after that one. They are fundamentally very similar scenes; one character explaining their personal philosophy to another. Why is Paladin's full of metaphor and whimsy and humor, whereas with Patrick's we're just basically staring at his face reflected in a darkened window for several pages? I mean, the stuff he's saying is awful, so I'd expect some awful imagery to appear with it. It feels like a regression of technique. Also, Paladin's doesn't tie into the central theme of this issue well at all; much as I like that sequence, I'd really want it to be in the next issue instead. (Arguably, about 70% of Patrick's speech doesn't tie in either, but whatever, one thing at a time.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

reignonyourparade posted:

I've... I've always held that opinion about John Henry. Dude's a loving fair-weather Luddite and he proves himself wrong when he drops dead, because I'm pretty sure the steam-powered drill didn't drop dead and can go just as far just as fast tomorrow, so way to demonstrate why it's the better option?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I've... I've always held that opinion about John Henry. Dude's a loving fair-weather Luddite and he proves himself wrong when he drops dead, because I'm pretty sure the steam-powered drill didn't drop dead and can go just as far just as fast tomorrow, so way to demonstrate why it's the better option?

You are willfully missing the point of the story. But way to side with the people who bombed and shot workers, good job.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Paladin is Good and Right and Science- although, like Patrick, I'm anticipating a future turn at the Crazy Powerful Idiot Speech to give our protagonist something to define herself against. As you mention, they're loading anti-human cues and risk-taking onto the first, generally positive encounter.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, Paladin's whole bit about finding new stories kind of made her come across as a bit of a tool rather than someone looking ahead to a post-scarcity society, to tell you the truth: like she sort of took no effort in figuring why these stories endured and hold power the way they do and instead considers herself this weird saviour figure. I'm reminded of those post-singularity nerds who are totally convinced that life is going to be even better for them without really considering what the effect of the less fortunate would be. Kind of seemed completely at odds with the whole lightbulb/battery thing too, though that may have been intentional? Either way Patrick dumping on her was about the only thing I agreed with him on during his two-month monologue.

I did like the no glory save honor thing though. And the implication that the reason her robots keep killing themselves is that it's funny to see her brought low from her lofty ideals. I really do hope that the writer realizes that Paladin has a completely hilariously misguided view of hubris: it weren't no god that felled Icarus, but his own fool self.

e: bit of a disclaimer, I am an English major so I have dedicated a good portion of my life to understanding powerful and enduring stories, so this probably got under my skin way more than most people.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 18, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
To be fair even as I bring up that complaint I don't think paladin is INTENDED to have not put any thought into what the stories she wants to replace actually mean, its just that she can't put any more thought into the matter than the author did so we ended up with "actually losing your job is really good (for people who aren't me, because robots will never replace replacing people with robots)" and "caution is for squares."

CapnAndy posted:

Being a better option is poor comfort when what it's a better option than is being able to feed yourself.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm anticipating a future turn at the Crazy Powerful Idiot Speech

Paladin's female, non-white, and an amputee. I don't think the writer could bring himself to do this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Zerilan posted:

Paladin's female, non-white, and an amputee. I don't think the writer could bring himself to do this.

You're probably right. :eng99:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
A ha ha gently caress off she got away with it, this changed nothing and has all been pointless. Great job you two, thanks for wasting my time. :allears:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Also j/k lol, there was totally a town under that dam.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Jackard posted:

Also j/k lol, there was totally a town under that dam.

Some people in it raped someone, it was worth it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I really hope Alison was just trying to talk Mary into cuffs, and doesn't actually think that she should be able to walk away from her epic murder spree.

Also:

Tollymain posted:

look, she just needs to convince allison that she's not completely gone until she's far enough away allison can't find her
Nice call!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I thought that was kind of obvious really. They've shown her illusions loving with Allison how many times now?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mary, sooner or later an innocent person's neck will get cut by your knife. I accept that your judgement has been totally flawless up to now though and those earlier bits of torture and mutilation and murder are A-OK because you're right, they did deserve it!

50/50 on whether Alison kills Mary (with great regret of course) or just lets her walk away.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I wanted to wait until this all wrapped up to really pass judgement, but it seems like the author is sticking with the kinda silly idea that the only thing wrong with a vigilante slaughtering alleged rapists without due process is that they might accidentally kill a non rapist. This arc is really disappointing compared to the rather fantastic previous arcs.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I also like that the author phrased it in passive voice "person will get cut by your knife" yes the knife is the one doing the cutting of necks. While it's the most awkward way I can think of to say "You will kill etc" it's pretty blatantly obvious why he wrote it that way.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope Furnace lives and I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a truth serum session that revealed he was sexually assaulted by his father as a child.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Furnace was like the one kinda interesting character this arc and it would be a god drat shame if he is actually dead.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Flesh Forge posted:

50/50 on whether Alison kills Mary (with great regret of course) or just lets her walk away.

I don't think Alison has a choice at this point. The fact that the GoPro is on the ground without her taking it off means she's not just turning invisible, she's been an illusion since probably the second Alison let go of her.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Flesh Forge posted:

I also like that the author phrased it in passive voice "person will get cut by your knife" yes the knife is the one doing the cutting of necks. While it's the most awkward way I can think of to say "You will kill etc" it's pretty blatantly obvious why he wrote it that way.
It's also dumb because Mary straight-up slashed Clevin to save herself confronting Alison previously. Yea, I know, 'this cuts not supposed to kill you', but unless Mary also gained some sort of precision power he survived on pure luck, and she had no problems cutting up innocent people purely for convenience.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Flesh Forge posted:

A rapist and a superhero were involved in a knife-related incident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I hope Furnace lives and I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a truth serum session that revealed he was sexually assaulted by his father as a child.

In a better comic that might have been a fascinating story line to explore yeah. Another disappointment.

Exactly.

e: Even so far as "A gang of rapists and a superhero were involved in a knife-related incident after the superhero came under heavy gunfire." (the mercs torture/mutilation scene)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread