Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Morpheus posted:

Hell, the PS2 had analogue face buttons, and they were finicky as poo poo. I'm pretty sure the only game that ever used them was MGS3, for its close-quarters combat. Resulted in a lot of grappled enemies being killed accidentally, that's for sure.

MGS2 used it too, holding down square would aim, quickly releasing would result in less accurate shot, doing it quite slowly would give a more accurate shot and very slowly would put away your gun without shooting. Most racing games used them too, it was amazing at the time that in GTA3 I could just cruise around by pressing the buttons lightly instead of screaming off and then screeching to a halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Maybe you should use spoiler tags for this sort of thing, you big dumb jerk

Controller chat: Controllers on PC are great for driving games. KB+M is great for shooters. There's more to it, and many exceptions but who cares; play with whatever you prefer.

Death Zebra posted:

I hated the GameCube shoulder buttons.

They feel very flimsy, are noisy as hell, and I rely on voodoo magic to make them work properly when pressed multiple times in rapid succession.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

A BIG DUMB GODDAMN SPOILER FOR MGSV

Seriously, spoiler that poo poo motherfucker

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

XBox 360 controllers are top notch, with the exception of the d-pad.

Until someone makes a gamepad where I can use the majority of it without having to take my thumbs off the sticks, gamepads are pretty much poo poo. In most games you want to be able to move and look around and do other things, and since the majority of the buttons are on the face of the gamepad, you have to regularly take your thumbs off of the sticks to do things. Which is just awful design.

Also people whining about a bad PC port becuase of key mapping are dumb because those keys can (usually) be remapped as necessary, If a game doesn't allow the remapping of keys, then it's a big dumb stupid jerk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SpookyLizard posted:

the game wasnt perfect for me ergo its a lovely port

I really don't get this kind of mentality, and there are a ton of people who unironically have it. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 are great examples. Not perfect ports, no but they're completely playable and are completely up front about the issues they have. But the second either of them released on PC people just bitched non-stop about how they had the worst ports ever and that From was poo poo for releasing them.

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Seriously, spoiler that poo poo motherfucker
Also, this, yeah. I could have lived without someone spoiling what I can only assume was an important reveal for the game for me. Which I guess will be my contribution to what drags games down: how quickly people always are to jump the gun and just tell everyone all the story details even in unrelated topics/sites.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I liked the gamecube controller but the shoulder buttons were good on Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine and terrible on everything else.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Instead of screaming 'OH MY GOD SPOIL THAT YOU gently caress' you could instead make up stupid additions to it as well to make it look like random bullshit.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Less Fat Luke posted:

I play with a controller and get that bug anytime that I accidentally move the mouse or keyboard; when I do that (or rather my dumb cat) all prompts switch to keyboard ones and the controller will only change the view until restarting the whole game.

Right after the tutorial where I had to use my binoculars to progress. Sorry that people complaining in the complaint thread turns you into a crying pissbaby.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm in the middle of fighting Volgin in the (new?)3ds port of MGS3 and I keep accidentally slipping on that stupid cardboard box. I don't know who thought setting the inner shoulder buttons as aim/shoot and the outer ones as equip but it was a terrible idea.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Instead of screaming 'OH MY GOD SPOIL THAT YOU gently caress' you could instead make up stupid additions to it as well to make it look like random bullshit.

Or, and bear with me here this is pretty rough, people could just use the spoiler tags.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm in the middle of fighting Volgin in the (new?)3ds port of MGS3 and I keep accidentally slipping on that stupid cardboard box. I don't know who thought setting the inner shoulder buttons as aim/shoot and the outer ones as equip but it was a terrible idea.

Didn't they also censor things like the horribly burnt bodies if you set dudes on fire?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I wouldn't know, I've just been shooting the grunts in the face.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Or, and bear with me here this is pretty rough, people could just use the spoiler tags.

And if they gently caress up and don't maybe don't rush in to quote and verify that that's absolutely a fact and not just trolling?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I feel people kinda overstate how difficult these are. I mean they're hard but once you figure out that the headbutt stops you in the air then it's much more bearable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kazil posted:

Most big name PC games are console ports. PC users should either accept that their glorious master race might have to use a filthy console users controller or get over the fact that developers don't always have the time/resources/skills to make a perfect port.
If you advertise a product as having a particular feature, but that feature works so poorly that customers have to buy another thing to compensate for it, your product is defective and complaints are the least you should expect.

Zaphod42 posted:

Almost all 3rd person games are better on controller by far. Driving games too, unless you have an actual wheel.
Keyboard sucks for driving. Pedals should not be binary buttons.
As always, this is a subjective opinion. You prefer a controller for some games. That doesn't mean that everyone else does or that preferring a controller is correct and wanting to use a keyboard is wrong.

Lizard Wizard posted:

XBox 360 controllers are top notch, with the exception of the d-pad.
Personally, I can't stand any controller with a joystick, let alone two. A full-size, stand-alone joystick is fine, but those tiny ones you use with your thumbs? I can't do anything with those. The only reason I like Mortal Kombat with a controller is that you can completely ignore the joysticks.

SpookyLizard posted:

Also people whining about a bad PC port becuase of key mapping are dumb because those keys can (usually) be remapped as necessary, If a game doesn't allow the remapping of keys, then it's a big dumb stupid jerk.
Complete customisation of controls seems like such a basic thing that every game on every system these days should do.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

every time you post it further confirms my theory that you're an unfrozen caveman

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tiggum is actually just a man with very passionate opinions who literally can't understand why people would disagree with them

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey man just because I said I played 80 hours of phantom pain doesn't mean I actually beat it

tag your spoilers

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
Hey Tiggum in heard someone liked a game you don't like in the liking games thread. Better go start over there and not be here.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Tiggum posted:

Personally, I can't stand any controller with a joystick, let alone two. A full-size, stand-alone joystick is fine, but those tiny ones you use with your thumbs? I can't do anything with those. The only reason I like Mortal Kombat with a controller is that you can completely ignore the joysticks.

You are seriously like an 80 year old grandma.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The majority of the LoL community are dragging it down. It is almost impossible to enjoy unless you are playing with friends because even in non-serious un-ranked games people will actively flip the hell out at each other over everything from being the first to die to disagreeing on item choices. They will alt-F4, claim they are lagging or just of AFK to spite someone; ruining the game for the other 4 players. Opposing teams aren't any better as unless you turn All Chat off forever you will typically end up with about as much trash talk as a game of Counter Strike on a public server full of teenagers.

It would be a fun game to me if only I didn't have these horrible expectations going into a game with out friends; each match feels like a ticking time bomb as I wait and see how long it takes for someone to explode. HotS is a much better MOBA-style game, not because of balance or variety or game-play or anything actually related to how the two games compare on a technical level; but because I have never played a game where people have been as antagonistic as even the least aggressive rager in LoL.

Dumbfire Rocketman
Jul 30, 2009

a drunk european baby
is putting u in ur place

ArtIsResistance posted:

MGS V pro: Big Boss is the best metal gear solid character

Con: Turns out Big Boss isn't gay :(

thanks fuckface

yeah don't edit that poo poo out later or anything

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

At least spoiler it yourself when you quote it on a new page instead of sharing it with anyone who might have missed it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Gridlocked posted:

The majority of the LoL community are dragging it down.

I gave up on LoL when I got screamed at and called a stupid "niger" in a beginners bot game. My crime? Dying while testing out a champ I'd never played before. Moba communities are pure poo poo.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dragon Age 3 :
Did everyone forget how to cast healing spells in the past 10 years?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
All the hype over MGSV made me decide to finally give the series another chance. I liked the first one this time, but holy gently caress is Metal Gear Solid 2 awful. Raiden is a lovely protagonist, Dead Cell are incredibly boring, the story is (so far) completely flat, and that loving bridge between shells 1 and 2.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

All the hype over MGSV made me decide to finally give the series another chance. I liked the first one this time, but holy gently caress is Metal Gear Solid 2 awful. Raiden is a lovely protagonist, Dead Cell are incredibly boring, the story is (so far) completely flat, and that loving bridge between shells 1 and 2.

Skip 2, it blows? :shrug: play 3, it's fun.

Anyway, I've been playing Undertale and it's okay. But I feel that the game tries a bit too hard to be really quirky and tries to be earthbound very hard. Like at one point really early on in the game you're given the option to take a piece of a snowman because it "wants to go somewhere really far away" and I'm genuinely unsure if it's a quest item I can do something with, or if I should just use the item. Because if it is a quest I'm worried it might ruin my game or something because the game does that. Killing is bad. Basically I'm all for letting players explore their way around and figure stuff out, but sometimes things can be too vague.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Dragon Age 3 :

I kind of liked that, because it proved that making them endlessly renewable and taking away other options is the only way to break me of the habit of hoarding all my drat potions.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Dragon Age 3 :

The Fade Rifts something something changing magic something.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, I've been playing Undertale and it's okay. But I feel that the game tries a bit too hard to be really quirky and tries to be earthbound very hard. Like at one point really early on in the game you're given the option to take a piece of a snowman because it "wants to go somewhere really far away" and I'm genuinely unsure if it's a quest item I can do something with, or if I should just use the item. Because if it is a quest I'm worried it might ruin my game or something because the game does that. Killing is bad. Basically I'm all for letting players explore their way around and figure stuff out, but sometimes things can be too vague.

The guy who made it used to be really involved in the Homestuck community and it shows.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nuebot posted:

When you beat the game with it in your inventory the epilogue says you made a snowman very happy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

The guy who made it used to be really involved in the Homestuck community and it shows.

Just to be clear, in this case "really involved" means "was basically in charge of their entire music production team," so it was always in a professional manner.

To no one's surprise, Undertale's music is bangin'.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Thing dragging Undertale down: people raving like a lunatic about how good it is unprompted in every thread I have bookmarked with even tangential relevance to JRPGs. Holy poo poo alright I'll try it later just shut up for five seconds. And I do mean unprompted; Let's Play FF7? Totally relevant and appropriate to just randomly advertise "You. Yes you. Buy this game." :psyduck:

/probably-unjustified-rant

E: OK I double checked and it wasn't the first mention in that thread but still nothing turns me off a game more than hype, especially unquantified hype. (That is to say MGSV interests me because I've actually heard about things like the joys of fulton and custom music, but all I know about Undertale is "not grindy, in some unique way people won't go into detail on" and "like Earthbound, maybe")

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Sep 17, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's Doctor Who all over again. Don't ever buy a product because people are excited about it.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

AlphaKretin posted:

all I know about Undertale is "not grindy, in some unique way people won't go into detail on" and "like Earthbound, maybe")

There's actually a demo, which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Yeah, Undertale is very much a good and charming game. It just never quite loses that tinge of Internet that similar games made by comparative outsiders (Itoi of Earthbound was a writer, Dingaling of LISA is a martial artist) seem to effortlessly avoid.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
MGS5: You cannot pet DD when he is a puppy :mad:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

AlphaKretin posted:

but all I know about Undertale is "not grindy, in some unique way people won't go into detail on" and "like Earthbound, maybe"

The main gimmick of the game is that every enemy in it can be defeated non-violently for no XP gain, the trick is figuring out how to make that command ("Spare") work. To help with this, enemies attack with avoidable bullet patterns instead of directly reducing your HP. It certainly does have an Earthbound-like sense of humor but in basically every other way it's not that Earthbound-like (from what I've seen).

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, Undertale is very much a good and charming game. It just never quite loses that tinge of Internet that similar games made by comparative outsiders (Itoi of Earthbound was a writer, Dingaling of LISA is a martial artist) seem to effortlessly avoid.

This makes sense since the guy that made it did a lot of music for Homestuck.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Leal posted:

MGS5: You cannot pet DD when he is a puppy :mad:

You can't even touch his paw pads it's total bullshit 2/10 gently caress you Hideo

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thinky Whale posted:

I kind of liked that, because it proved that making them endlessly renewable and taking away other options is the only way to break me of the habit of hoarding all my drat potions.

I get what they were trying to do but it can lead to some pretty lovely situations. The first time I played through the Haven attack I got stuck at the last trebuchet trying to kill that giant red Templar captain with only 2 potions. The only way I could win that fight was to run around Haven until he got stuck on some tents then just run back down to the trebuchet before he warped back.

The jar of bees grenade is loving great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ShootaBoy posted:

I gave up on LoL when I got screamed at and called a stupid "niger" in a beginners bot game. My crime? Dying while testing out a champ I'd never played before. Moba communities are pure poo poo.

MOBAs just bring out the worst in people. I don't think I've met anyone that hasn't gotten mad playing a MOBA either because they hate losing (one of my friends who tries hard, fails then gets mad), hate the abbuse (friend 2 who puts up with poo poo till he gets too mad at being called an idiot then starts telling the guy where to get off) or because they really punish you for your smallest failures (me, when I miss-time Smite and let someone else take a buff).

Though I will admit last time I played LoL I tried being chill at the start but I ended up getting angry with every mistake I made; I dono why it just kinda happened. Maybe I lack self control when it comes to LoL; maybe it's an infectious monster.

Every now and again I get tempted to re-install it and play considering when I was playing it regularly with some friends I vomited like 60 bucks at skins cause I'm an idiot. But really what will change? I barely played with out friends in the first place because I was a) worried I'd get into a game with randoms and spend an inevitable half an hour being miserable as people threw the insults around even if we win or b) I'd lose my ranked points or whatever they are called and I worked hard for those. And don't say play Normals because every LoL player knows they are just as bad. Hell I have seen people rage out at ARAM, the most casual of modes.

tl;dr LoL is an infectious disease. HotS is the only MOBA that won't turn you into a ragey monster from the Planet Douche Bag.

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Sep 18, 2015