Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it's the result of a buffer overflow from all the poo poo in the notification area.

Seriously, get your poo poo together, get it all together and put it a backpack. All your poo poo, so it's together. And if you have to take it somewhere, take it somewhere you know. Take it to the poo poo store and sell it or put it in a poo poo museum, I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together. Get your poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I just got updated to Android Pay + Wallet. Is it expected behavior that only my loyalty cards carried over and none of my credit/debit cards?

Turns out they're just deactivated initially. Does anyone know of Android Pay still causes problems with cards by severely obfuscating purchases? I know people here have complained about that in the past.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Depends on if it's a legacy card or not. If it's a fully supported card, it's supposed to act just like if you had swiped the card.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Three Olives posted:

What the hell is this and why was it popping up on the CNN webpage when I was driving home?

I think no one actually answered you. That's a relatively new thing in Chrome where you can tap text and it'll put that at the bottom to let you search it quickly. I think the idea is like you're reading and want to know more about a particular term or thing, and now you can super quickly search for it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm having some sim card read errors. The error is a pop up that says along the lines of "sim card removed, please restart" and the only option is to restart.

I have a Galaxy S4, I've replaced the sim card reader and the sim card itself and this still happens. So now what? It is a physical problem, if I leave the phone untouched on a table, most of the time it won't happen. If I have it in my pocket the chances increase. Positioning the sim card differently may help.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

hooah posted:

I just got updated to Android Pay + Wallet. Is it expected behavior that only my loyalty cards carried over and none of my credit/debit cards?

You need to confirm that you have the cards by reentering the security codes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So as someone who is about to move from a Galaxy S4 to the Moto X Pure, how's the size increase? The S4 is the biggest phone I've ever used and I'm nervous about the Pure being Galaxy Note sized, but in reading reviews people say that you get used to the larger screen and that you don't need to worry.

Is that true? I'm afraid I'm going to hate my new phone even though I'm really excited for it. :ohdear:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Probably since I think the payment system has a different design.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

axeil posted:

So as someone who is about to move from a Galaxy S4 to the Moto X Pure, how's the size increase? The S4 is the biggest phone I've ever used and I'm nervous about the Pure being Galaxy Note sized, but in reading reviews people say that you get used to the larger screen and that you don't need to worry.

Is that true? I'm afraid I'm going to hate my new phone even though I'm really excited for it. :ohdear:

My first Android had a 3.2 inch screen, and I loved it. After that I had a 4.3 inch screen on my Atrix 2 and thought that was the biggest and best phone I would ever need. Then I bought a 4.7 inch HTC M7 and I was positive that was the best screen size ever and I loved it. Then I bought my 2014 Moto X and absolutely fell in love with it's 5.2in AMOLED display.

Now I find myself lusting after 6 inch screen phones.

Basically, once you go big...

Edit: I'm also A Tall at 6'3" and have large hands, so I might just now be approaching a hard limit at a 6 inch phone. Lusts for Nexus 7 a year from now.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 17, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SouthLAnd posted:

My first Android had a 3.2 inch screen, and I loved it. After that I had a 4.3 inch screen on my Atrix 2 and thought that was the biggest and best phone I would ever need. Then I bought a 4.7 inch HTC M7 and I was positive that was the best screen size ever and I loved it. Then I bought my 2014 Moto X and absolutely fell in love with it's 5.2in AMOLED display.

Now I find myself lusting after 6 inch screen phones.

Basically, once you go big...

Edit: I'm also A Tall at 6'3" and have large hands, so I might just now be approaching a hard limit at a 6 inch phone. Lusts for Nexus 7 a year from now.

I'm happy with my HTC One Max's screen size at 5.9'', but I'd like somewhere in the 6-6.2'' range. I think the Xperia Z Ultra, with its 6.44'' screen, is a bit large, but a little bit south of that's perfect.

Of course, nobody makes giant phones, so we're stuck with old hardware.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

axeil posted:

Maybe it will be true for you, maybe not. It turns out I still couldn't get used to it, so I'm returning my Pure today.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Does anyone still use a music manager to sync with their phone? I'm thinking of switching back to an Android after two years, but I have an 8,000 track music library and have come to depend on iTunes's smart playlists to manage them without a lot of manual intervention. I need something on the desktop and phone side that can:

1) Track and update playcounts, date last played, etc. [This part's easy]; and
2) Support complex playlists - iTunes lets you make Boolean-like playlists (e.g.: Last Played is NOT in the last month AND (Rating is > 3 stars OR (Rating = 3 stars AND Playcount > 5))).

The second one seems to be the hard part - I guess not many people make complex playlists, so most developers don't get more complicated than 1,000 tracks of "songs I like." In the worst case, I still have an iPod classic that I can use for music, but it would be nice to have everything in one device. Alternatively, has there been much development in the doubletwist/iSyncr world?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm happy with my HTC One Max's screen size at 5.9'', but I'd like somewhere in the 6-6.2'' range. I think the Xperia Z Ultra, with its 6.44'' screen, is a bit large, but a little bit south of that's perfect.

Of course, nobody makes giant phones, so we're stuck with old hardware.

Did you just say that nobody makes giant phones?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

nimper posted:

How is it baffling that a stock Android phone doesn't support a custom software solution?

Well maybe not "baffling". But it's an app available in the app store made by Motorola, it would seem like my Motorola phone should be able to run it.

Really I just think their solution is way better, and I wish I could use it. :(

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Yeah. me too. I've had both (I went Moto X 2014 to Nexus 6) and that's the one thing I really miss because it was so much cooler and way more responsive. I'd also really like to use the double twist to launch the camera.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

axeil posted:

You get used to it. It feels good in the hand.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

myron cope posted:

Well maybe not "baffling". But it's an app available in the app store made by Motorola, it would seem like my Motorola phone should be able to run it.

Really I just think their solution is way better, and I wish I could use it. :(

The app is only available on the Play Store so it can be easily updated.

If you wanted Motorola's software, you should have bought one of their branded devices that come with it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Turns out they're just deactivated initially. Does anyone know of Android Pay still causes problems with cards by severely obfuscating purchases? I know people here have complained about that in the past.

Android Pay uses a tokenization system, contactless EMV, to process the transaction. So, like Apple Pay, it requires the financial institution to support the technology so you have to have a participating company for the system to work. If you have a card from that company then they issue a virtual card number then tokenize the payments from there, everything looks like you used your physical card.

The old wallet payment system was supposed to work similarly, but Google couldn't get everyone to play nice, so they built a virtual proxy card system. Under that system you used the proxy card, google then charged your designated card and paid off the virtual one. This lead to all kinds of issues including rewards not tracking and complicating returns. Old cards still in the system can for a time being continue to be used with the proxy card if they're not supported properly in Android pay. Obviously, this system was costing Google money so I'm not at all surprised to see it go.

The new Wallet is just a stored value system for sending money to and from people and bank accounts. Similar to a PayPal kind of system. You can still get a Google Wallet card issued and add THAT card to Android Pay if you want to use that balance for NFC purchases.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
welp

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/16/technology/android-hack/

quote:

To hack an Android phone, just type in a really long password

Locked phones require a passcode. But there's a way to get around that. Just type in an insanely long password. That overloads the computer, which redirects you to the phone's home screen.

It's a time-consuming hack, but it's actually easy to pull off.

In a report published Tuesday, computer security researcher John Gordon documented the vulnerability and posted a video of the hack. It only affects smartphones using the latest version of the Android operating system, Lollipop.

It's basically a game of copy-and-paste.

From the locked screen, open the phone's "Emergency Call" feature. Type a few characters, then copy-and-paste the text repeatedly. The character "string" grows exponentially, so it quickly becomes close to 40,960 characters long.

Then open the phone's camera app and prompt the phone to request a password. Paste the super long character string a few times until the system crashes. (Based on Gordon's video, it looks like 163,840 total characters.)

Wait maybe five minutes, and the phone goes straight to the unlocked home screen.

Gordon warned Google (GOOGL, Tech30) about the vulnerability back in August, so the company released a patch for the flaw last week. But phones will remain vulnerable until they're updated with the latest software patch.

The patch is already available for Google's own line of phones -- the various Nexus models. But there's no telling when it'll reach Android devices made by Samsung, LG and others. Blame the Android's fractured updating system, which is slowed down by phone manufacturers and cellphone network carriers.

Google has acknowledged the flaw, saying that the hack lets someone who grabs your phone "view contact data, phone logs, SMS messages, and other data that is normally protected."

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Note that it only works with password-protected lock screens - pin and pattern locks aren't affected (though they are less inherently secure, of course).

Still yet more evidence that the platform is pretty flawed from a security standpoint, though.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I don't know, most platforms are insecure when you have the physical device. Problem with phones is it's easy to get hold of the physical device.

That is a pretty glaring flaw, though. Especially with the upcoming Blackberry phone where typing in a really long password is easy thanks to the hardware keyboard!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Note that it only works with password-protected lock screens - pin and pattern locks aren't affected (though they are less inherently secure, of course).

Still yet more evidence that the platform is pretty flawed from a security standpoint, though.

Pattern locks are actually not that bad if you know how to use them.

Also if you clean your greasy fingers and turn the Make Pattern Visible thing.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/08/new-data-uncovers-the-surprising-predictability-of-android-lock-patterns/

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pattern locks are actually not that bad if you know how to use them.

Also if you clean your greasy fingers and turn the Make Pattern Visible thing.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/08/new-data-uncovers-the-surprising-predictability-of-android-lock-patterns/

Interesting!

Is there a preferred choice for Micro SD card? I'm just sticking music on it, so it doesn't need to be particularly fast.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I'm surprised so few people use 8-length patterns, as it is obvious to see that there are just as many 8-length as 9-length patterns.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pun pundit posted:

I'm surprised so few people use 8-length patterns, as it is obvious to see that there are just as many 8-length as 9-length patterns.
I could be wrong but this doesn't feel intuitively true. There are many 8-length patterns that don't allow access to the 9th node at the end, and there are many 8-length patterns in which the 9th node could be added at multiple points along the route.

Edit: The video of this talk claims that you are correct, so I don't dispute that it is a fact, but I'm struggling to see the obvious reason for that to be the case. I understand that arranging x discrete items into all possible combinations gives the same number for x and x-1, intuitively, but the lock pattern isn't that simple because not everything links to everything.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 17, 2015

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

You can draw the pattern over previous nodes freely, so any 8-length pattern has a corresponding 9-length pattern that is drawing from the last dot in the 8-length pattern to the only remaining dot.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pun pundit posted:

You can draw the pattern over previous nodes freely, so any 8-length pattern has a corresponding 9-length pattern that is drawing from the last dot in the 8-length pattern to the only remaining dot.
Oh, I never realise it let you do this. Yeah, logic is clear in that case. Welp, time to improve my unlock pattern!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Airborne Viking posted:

Does the 3rd gen Moto G seriously not support driving mode? :cripes:
Man, I understand not having Moto Voice on a $170 phone, but if the Moto G has a text-to-speech engine, it should be able to read you an sms or the name of the person calling you. :argh:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Speaking of Moto Voice, when I'm in the car and it goes into driving mode, should I be talking to my phone via the car's microphone or do I need to have the phone out of my pocket and speak directly to it's mic? Both seem a little unreliable.

Also, please post your hilarious launch phrases, I need to replace "OK Moto X" with something inspired

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
My 2013 Verizon Moto X got the Lollipop update today. If you have a 2013 Verizon Moto X, there may be an update waiting for your phone. Mine actually did 2 updates, the first to prepare for the Lollipop update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Syrinxx posted:

Speaking of Moto Voice, when I'm in the car and it goes into driving mode, should I be talking to my phone via the car's microphone or do I need to have the phone out of my pocket and speak directly to it's mic? Both seem a little unreliable.

It honestly depends on the vehicle's system.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's a bit of a bummer that there's no easy way to switch the double-twist camera gesture to open the Google camera rather than the Moto one. I've done without it for years so it isn't an inconvenience but it's pretty cool except for the fact that the moto camera app is a dumpster fire compared to the Google one, when it comes to my X Pure. It's got a legit good camera, it's just saddled with the ton of poo poo that is the Moto camera.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Internet Explorer posted:

Did you just say that nobody makes giant phones?

Giant, not big. There aren't many entries in the 6.0''+ range these days.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I'm on AT&T and I'd like to get a Samsung Galaxy S6 that can be rooted. Is the AT&T variant still able to be rooted or do I need to get the T-Mobile one if I want root? It seems like the LTE and UMTS bands pretty much line up.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

rockinricky posted:

My 2013 Verizon Moto X got the Lollipop update today. If you have a 2013 Verizon Moto X, there may be an update waiting for your phone. Mine actually did 2 updates, the first to prepare for the Lollipop update.
Any word on how performance and battery life compares to KitKat? I'm hesitant to pull the trigger as I've had multiple devices ruined by major version updates late in the device's life.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well, I felt the phone got a little laggy after almost two years of use with KitKat, and I don't think that Lollipop made it any worse. It feels like some apps take longer to initially open. I can't tell if its affected the battery for better or worse.

edit: Can someone give me advice on car mounts?

I've been using a vent mount for years now but it has always bothered me to block that vent (no heat/air coming from that vent kind of sucks). The vent is near the top of the dashboard and I like the phone near there because its easy to reach and glance at without blocking my view of the road.

I tried looking at window mounts and it just seems that wherever I'd put the phone it would block my view, a lot.

So, can someone tell me more about the mechanisms to attach a mount to the top of the dashboard? I don't think the ones that look like sandbags would stay put at all, but I can't screw a mount in because its a lease. The only other type I've seen is where you have a smooth plastic base with adhesive on the bottom, and then you put a suction cup mount on top of it. Does the adhesive hold up well? Is it easy to remove with something like Goo-Gone?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 17, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

Does anyone still use a music manager to sync with their phone? I'm thinking of switching back to an Android after two years, but I have an 8,000 track music library and have come to depend on iTunes's smart playlists to manage them without a lot of manual intervention. I need something on the desktop and phone side that can:

1) Track and update playcounts, date last played, etc. [This part's easy]; and
2) Support complex playlists - iTunes lets you make Boolean-like playlists (e.g.: Last Played is NOT in the last month AND (Rating is > 3 stars OR (Rating = 3 stars AND Playcount > 5))).

The second one seems to be the hard part - I guess not many people make complex playlists, so most developers don't get more complicated than 1,000 tracks of "songs I like." In the worst case, I still have an iPod classic that I can use for music, but it would be nice to have everything in one device. Alternatively, has there been much development in the doubletwist/iSyncr world?

Media Monkey can wirelessly sync between its Windows and Android versions. It can easily do the first requirement, but it can only make 'and' or 'or' playlists, so you'll have to gently caress with it to get it to do exactly what you want. You'd make 1 playlist with your first condition, then make a second playlist that pulls out of that playlist and has a "match either of the following conditions" for your rating requirements. Bam, you've got your and plus the 2 or's.

Edit:^^^That^^^ should've read like this: Make 1 playlist with your second two conditions as a "Match either of the following conditions", then have the 2nd playlist set to match all conditions, and have it just pull off of the first playlist and also match your first condition. I'm smart - S M R T.

Of course, you could also do the double twist route. I haven't ever used it, so I can't advise of how well it works or not, but it is definitely still A Thing. I'd imagine that it breaks every time you update iTunes without updating it along side.

A third option would be to use Media Monkey as a dumb pipe to just track your play counts on your phone, then sync all of your played counts back to the computer, then pull up iTunes to do the heavy lifting.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 17, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doctor Butts posted:

edit: Can someone give me advice on car mounts?

I've been using a vent mount for years now but it has always bothered me to block that vent (no heat/air coming from that vent kind of sucks). The vent is near the top of the dashboard and I like the phone near there because its easy to reach and glance at without blocking my view of the road.

I tried looking at window mounts and it just seems that wherever I'd put the phone it would block my view, a lot.

So, can someone tell me more about the mechanisms to attach a mount to the top of the dashboard? I don't think the ones that look like sandbags would stay put at all, but I can't screw a mount in because its a lease. The only other type I've seen is where you have a smooth plastic base with adhesive on the bottom, and then you put a suction cup mount on top of it. Does the adhesive hold up well? Is it easy to remove with something like Goo-Gone?

Depending on where your CD player is, how much you use it, and how much you feel like you need to look at your phone, that might be a good place. I've liked having my CD-tray slot pretty well.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thanks for the suggestion but the slot for the CD player is almost all the way down by the cupholders. I don't want to take my eyes off the road that much if I have to look at the screen, and the mechanism would probably get in the way of things I stow down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Mounts that use "nano-suction" cups work really well for most surfaces indefinitely, and pretty much all surfaces for short periods of time, and they leave no residue. iOttie uses them, and the new Tylt wireless car mount uses them. Not sure who else.