Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Tae posted:

complaining about something that didn't happen irked me a bit.

Welcome to Idle Thumbs for the past couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Quiet is a bit of a lightning rod for misconceptions. Plenty of words and deeds to be ashamed of.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

bobservo posted:

Playing as a female character in Metal Gear actually goes back to Portable Ops, meaning it's been part of the series for close to a decade. I realize no one played the PSP games, but it's been funny to see so many people treat some of The Phantom Pain's reused systems/features as entirely new things.

I've noticed that, too. The Fulton Recovery System and base management in particular are often called out as innovations, but it's really an iteration on an existing (terrific) design.

Going further, I'd say that people who are really digging The Phantom Pain should go back and play Peace Walker if they finish the new one and are hankering for more missions. It's so good, and it's easy to play thanks to the HD Collection. I would not say the same thing about PoOPS; it was clunky at the time, and it really wouldn't make a good impression now.

Peace Walker is legit as hell.

Of course, Phantom Pain is still stunning in how it recontextualizes those elements into this crazy web of interlocking systems running in an enormous sandbox. It makes such effective and interesting choices in terms of what to abstract and what to simulate.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I forget who suggested Gaming History 101 in here, but either I picked the single worst episode of this show to begin with ("Assault of the B-Tier Games") or these dudes don't realize that perhaps a podcast should, by and large, be a standalone product. I keep swapping over to the episode when I finish another show for this week, and every time I change off of it because their stream of telling me about other off-podcast works of theirs is unceasing. I'm 22 minutes in and after hearing about their unstarted chrongaming project, and their review scores about retro titles on the website, we're now into talk about analysis of Megal Gear 1 into MG2 into MGS... which I would love to hear discussed here rather than find out it is also a project that has yet to come into existence.

I don't mind self-promotion or cross-promotion, poo poo, I listen to Laser Time and Vidjagame Apocalypse, which come with various forms of ad break every episode, but this is nearly a quarter of the episode spent hawking poo poo that is mostly hypothetical. It's not even pride in one's work!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Urging someone to go back and play Peace Walker after playing MGSV is really weird since MGSV is multitudes of degrees better in literally every aspect in literally every way. It'd be like going back to an Early Access game after playing the full build

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

Welcome to Idle Thumbs for the past couple of years.

Idle Thumbs is the place to go if you want to hear Chris ramble on about some half baked ideas based on a demo he's never played of a game he's never played in a game series he's never played.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Idle Thumbs has been really good for the past few weeks imo. Maybe that's just because I took a break from listening to them for about a year.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Idle Thumbs is consistently funny and they approach games from a design and enthusiasts perspective, not a media one, which is a nice change from most of what I listen to. Mistakes and misconceptions happen when knowing every game inside and out isn't the job you're being paid to do. And they're one of the few discussion shows that will address mistakes and corrections that listeners bring up so if they did say something incorrect then send them an email and it will probably be mentioned in a future episode.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Quiet is a bit of a lightning rod for misconceptions. Plenty of words and deeds to be ashamed of.

Nah, the way MGS:V handles Quiet is completely hosed and deserves all the opprobrium it's received.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They have gotten pretty infamous for talking about things they have no actual experience with, which just doesn't make for good listening, and I wish they would stop themselves before it happens.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Idle Thumbs is consistently funny and they approach games from a design and enthusiasts perspective, not a media one, which is a nice change from most of what I listen to.

I agree but by that token, I wonder why they even bother to keep up the pretense of following the media at all, seeing as they spend way too much time complaining about things they barely read in relation to games they'll never play.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Having been less and less impressed with Idle Thumbs over the years, probably due to drifting away from their sense of humor and having better podcasts as a point of comparison, I find the annotated YouTube version that a listener puts together to be a godsend. There's still good stuff in there and it's way easier to find that way.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

OTOH now thanks to Idle Thumbs I will now have to go play SMB3 with the theory in my head that it is Saving Private Toadsworth.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pasco posted:

Nah, the way MGS:V handles Quiet is completely hosed and deserves all the opprobrium it's received.

Which is a pity becasue in my mind Quiet is the second best buddy (DD is an adorable as gently caress wolf dog therefore always first). I was legit happy when I unlocked some sensible clothing for her, wish I could unlock some sensible camera angles for her :(

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I agree but by that token, I wonder why they even bother to keep up the pretense of following the media at all, seeing as they spend way too much time complaining about things they barely read in relation to games they'll never play.

Old habits die hard?

I see most podcasts, especially ones that aren't a product of a site focusing on game coverage, as a group discussion that has therapeutic benefit for both the people having the discussion and the listeners. I guess I get news style coverage from so many other sources that less formal stuff has an important place in my rotation as well.

e: And I guess sense/style of humor plays a role in it as well? There have been a number of times when I am listening to Idle Thumbs and I will make a joke to myself and someone on the cast will say the same thing.

One podcasts that I still listen to but kind of wonder why is Rebel FM. I have gone back and forth in my like/dislike of Arthur Gies. They were discussing the Mad Max game and he actually stopped himself to say he needed to work on removing the term "nuts" from his vocabulary because he used the word to describe some aspect of the game and that term is derogatory towards people with mental issues. I don't even know at this point.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 17, 2015

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Idle Thumbs is alright, I had a wee jibe at Chris Remo once on twitter about how he had time to play Halo 4 on Legendary while instantly skipping the cut-scenes and he responded in a thoroughly intelligent manner.

Though, much like Idle Thumbs the pocast, it could have been summed up without sounding so pretentious. Not that I am having a go or anything, it's just I listen to Idle Thumbs and it's very apparent the hosts are leagues more booksmart than me which somewhat dampens my ability to relate to them.

But hey, at least it's on the same webpage as Esports Today.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idle Thumbs has a different perspective on things, even if it isn't 100% deep dive and accurate. Coming from a game design background frames the conversation in a different way than an enthusiast or journalistic production.

Like I can appreciate Giant Bomb, but it's completely infuriating to me to hear half of the hosts being completely flabbergasted by the world around them. I listened to an ep of Beast Cast and listening to one of the guys go on about his Forester and why he can't have a 6 point harness like his kid was driving me up a wall because I race cars and understand the safety interactions between barriers, vehicles, and passengers... But it was distilled as MORE = BETTER and went on for way too long.

Yeah, some of the jokes don't land on IT, but like Chris commenting on the elevator-esque music and then Danielle piping in with "yeah, Kondo said he comes up with a lot of the ideas when he's in the bath" and Chris replying "oh, loving duh" worked for me.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

Which is a pity becasue in my mind Quiet is the second best buddy (DD is an adorable as gently caress wolf dog therefore always first). I was legit happy when I unlocked some sensible clothing for her, wish I could unlock some sensible camera angles for her :(

Totally, I would take Quiet on every mission if it wasn't for that damnably cute wolf dog :3:

Quiet is totally fine, the way Quiet is handled is a mess.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

And they're one of the few discussion shows that will address mistakes and corrections that listeners bring up so if they did say something incorrect then send them an email and it will probably be mentioned in a future episode.

And if you get lucky, it might be brought up in multiple episodes.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

One podcasts that I still listen to but kind of wonder why is Rebel FM. I have gone back and forth in my like/dislike of Arthur Gies. They were discussing the Mad Max game and he actually stopped himself to say he needed to work on removing the term "nuts" from his vocabulary because he used the word to describe some aspect of the game and that term is derogatory towards people with mental issues. I don't even know at this point.

Why do you think that's weird? I'm doing the same thing right now, because I realized that I'm often referring to video games in terms of derogatory terms slung at people with mental health problems when there are plenty of terms like "chaotic" that can be used instead.

It's not that different from how "gay" and "retarded" are no longer used to stand in for "bad" (outside of edgelords who are using the phrases deliberately because they're not socially acceptable).

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

The first 3-4 years of video game podcasts were about things being gay or retarded, and full of rape jokes. I'm happy we moved past this and I'm not going to begrudge someone for trying to make their language more inclusive, even if I personally wouldn't go as far as eliminating "nuts" from my vocabulary.

I mean, I love 1UP Yours from back in the day but good lord is it rife with that kind of stuff.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

thefncrow posted:

Why do you think that's weird? I'm doing the same thing right now, because I realized that I'm often referring to video games in terms of derogatory terms slung at people with mental health problems when there are plenty of terms like "chaotic" that can be used instead.

It's not that different from how "gay" and "retarded" are no longer used to stand in for "bad" (outside of edgelords who are using the phrases deliberately because they're not socially acceptable).

I've stopped using a bunch of words myself that I've realized are mean spirited and derogatory and being more inclusive is a good thing. We all reach (or at least I hope we do) a point where we actually start to think about the words we use and how others might interpret them. I still think it's a strange aside to have in the middle of an on-air conversation during a podcasts (I guess that's the downside of it being so casual) and personally I have never heard the term nuts pointed out in the same way like fag or gay or bitch. I struck me as being too cautious, but if that's how he wants to talk that's his right.

I still think his opinions about Nintendo stuff is dismissive to a fault and a number of times recently the podcast is so low energy that I wonder why they even bother to record if they aren't going to talk about anything but MOBAs for half the show. But it's a free podcasts that I still find enough worth listening to that I keep doing so but I do ask myself sometimes if I'm close to done or not.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah that thing about not using nuts or crazy or whatever is some hosed up poo poo to be honest. Not even remotely on the same level as saying something is gay, retarded, etc

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
There are plenty of reasons to dislike Arthur Geese but trying to be more inclusive in his language is not one of them. Nuts may not seem like a term worth expunging from your vocabulary but your experience is different than everyone else's.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The more I think on it, the more I realize that my inital reaction was probabaly due to my own use of the word and never thinking about the possible way others might react. I've never really associated the word nuts with mental illness, as strange as that sounds. But there was also a time when I would use derogatory words without the intent of hate but still see how that's immature and potentially harmful. And anything that forces me to be more mindful and think of better ways to use descriptive words is beneficial.

Sorry for the derail.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Urging someone to go back and play Peace Walker after playing MGSV is really weird since MGSV is multitudes of degrees better in literally every aspect in literally every way. It'd be like going back to an Early Access game after playing the full build

I don't necessarily agree. Peace Walker is the perfect pick-up-and-play game whereas TPP requires a serious time investment to complete even the most basic mission. It also has some fantastic co-op.

TPP may have expanded the formula but its diluted a bit by going so far out. We're not talking about an AssCreed 1 to AssCreed 2 scenario where the sequel basically negates the predecessor but more like a (forgive me) Demon's Souls vs. Dark Souls.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hakkesshu posted:

Peace Walker is a different game from TPP, and I honestly think that the systems that TPP took from Peace Walker were mostly better done in Peace Walker. Or, rather, the things that were bad about Peace Walker, they doubled down on. A lot of the grindier aspects of Peace Walker are present and working double time in TPP. And the payoff isn't as good. There isn't really a set of super powerful end game items, just stuff that's slightly more powerful than what you got after playing for a few hours.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/15/albino-lullaby-review/

This is the game that chris mentions from some ex bioshock devs. I was intrigued by the screenshots but it sounds like it possibly needs a big game play overhaul. I'm still waiting for that game that offers the same thing as the original bioshock in original world exploration.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Re: FFXIII-2's accessories - thinking on it, it did use a semi-Paper Mario system of levels and BP. You had 2.5 characters and the 2 side of that equation had accessory points you could equip them with gear on. At first it's limited to 100 and most gear costs 40 points or so for things like "attack/magic +10%", " HP+", etc, but as the game goes on you can begin forging stronger or weaker versions of most of those (for higher/lower cost and effect), and more offbeat or situational accessories like "casts Haste at battle's opening" or "casts Raise and breaks if you die" or the like. You also have the choice upon levelling up to take either class-specific boosts, extra moves in combat, or more max accessory points.

Come to think of it, that might be part of why I really liked that game... Hadn't thought of it in that context before.

Edit: if you want to see trucks loving trucks in a major Hollywood film go look up what Richard "Donnie Darko" Kelly followed that film up with. Hint: it involves The Rock, Justin Timberlake, Kevin Smith, and balls-to-the-wall insanity.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 18, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Beard Yawn posted:

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Arthur Geese but trying to be more inclusive in his language is not one of them. Nuts may not seem like a term worth expunging from your vocabulary but your experience is different than everyone else's.

Guess I'll have to start using "family jewels" in my Craigslist personals

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah that thing about not using nuts or crazy or whatever is some hosed up poo poo to be honest. Not even remotely on the same level as saying something is gay, retarded, etc

Stigmatizing mental illness discourages people from seeking treatment.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pseudorandom name posted:

Stigmatizing mental illness discourages people from seeking treatment.

You realize "mental" is slang for "crazy", right? Please refer to this as brain illness in the future. I was going to see a therapist about my pedantry but thanks to your ill-conceived post I probably won't.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Christ what an awful, stupid derail.

Crate and Crowbar still doesn't sound better that I can tell. How long does it take patreon to give people money?

Also, a dumb thought. Since I don't really follow games press or hype, I am pretty susceptible to buying games when all the podcasts I listen to rave about them. I'm currently keeping myself from buying Mario Maker and MGSV after the past two weeks of hearing about how great they are. I used to have no problem waiting for sales! Lousy casts.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Just buy one or the other. Either will keep you busy. Woe betide those of us who are playing both at the same time.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm juggling those as well as Rocket League. Podcasts definitely tempt me to buy games while they're new, but these 3 are honestly 3 of the funnest games I've *ever* played. They're obviously very different but each one just nails its purview.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm glad Persona 5 was delayed because if it released in 2015 I don't know how I'd balance anime military sim over anime nightmare highschool sim. And Fallout 4 is coming out in 2-ish months, fuuuuck.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

I'm glad Persona 5 was delayed because if it released in 2015 I don't know how I'd balance anime military sim over anime nightmare highschool sim. And Fallout 4 is coming out in 2-ish months, fuuuuck.

I'm waiting on FO based on figuring out which console it'll play better on. I bought NV on the PS3, and boy did that suck with the DLC.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Stan Taylor posted:

Crate and Crowbar still doesn't sound better that I can tell. How long does it take patreon to give people money?

On their last podcast they said they just got their first parcel of money. Mics haven't been bought as of the time of that recording

e: by last I meant ep 109, haven't listened to 110 yet

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The Milkman posted:

I'm juggling those as well as Rocket League. Podcasts definitely tempt me to buy games while they're new, but these 3 are honestly 3 of the funnest games I've *ever* played. They're obviously very different but each one just nails its purview.
Rocket League would be higher on my list if they, like so many other Western developers, gave any kind of poo poo about Asian players. Just once I'd like to play a game of Rocket League with a ping below 300.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Rocket League would be higher on my list if they, like so many other Western developers, gave any kind of poo poo about Asian players. Just once I'd like to play a game of Rocket League with a ping below 300.

https://psyonixhr.wufoo.com/forms/game-server-performance-report/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

al-azad posted:

To add to all the popular good games out, anyone who liked earthbound should play undertale and anyone who liked shovel knight should play plague of shadows as well. I don't expect either to get much coverage but they are excellent games in their own ways.

• Locked thread