Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Surprise suprise it's Boys on the Run http://bato.to/read/_/343150/boys-on-the-run_v9_ch95_by_danielau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

had really given up on this ever getting finished. what a surprise

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

first someone translated the drinking women manga now this. this week is too good

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

:worship:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Daniel Lau's ability to rise from the dead once every year will never stop being impressive

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

when the final 6 chapters get released in august of 2016 i will be so hype

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

first someone translated the drinking women manga now this. this week is too good

Speaking of.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi ch 34... :psyboom:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi ch 34... :psyboom:

Are you reading the Japanese? I can only find through chapter 31 translated. I really want to know what happens in chapter 32!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will marry all of them.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

chumbler posted:

I will marry all of them.

But one of them is already married.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
im going to be honest here folks. Shut Hell is the best thing in the world. peace.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

im going to be honest here folks. Shut Hell is the best thing in the world. peace.

I've started reading this after seeing you mention it. A question (I'm at chapter 22): Are we just supposed to assume that Sudou (in Shut Hell's body) told Yurul about actually being this Japanese dude from the future? There was a scene where he was hugging Yurul and Yurul goes "wait, you're not Shut Hell" and then in the next scene he calls him/her Sudou. Does Yurul also have the knowledge of Suzuki or something?

edit: Okay, he's talking with Yurul about Japan now so apparently he told him who he is earlier.

edit2: One thing I really like about this is that they haven't once tried to make dumb/awkward jokes about the main character being a man in a woman's body.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 12, 2015

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I just read the op and what the gently caress was the original writer of it talking about?

The earliest any 49er debuted was the late 60s. Garo, the first seinen magazine had already been running for 3 or 4 years at that point.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Yeah the OP insanely bad.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
New All-Rounder Meguru

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Slang talk made it a bit hard to understand.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Turin Turambar posted:

Slang talk made it a bit hard to understand.

That was probably an attempt to localize a dialect. But I've seen easier to understand ones.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What are some good manga with the theme of forbidden/impossible/difficult love (though preferably not as the primary plot point) along the lines of Shut Hell or the Korean manhwa Orange Marmalade (I would prefer more like the former than the latter, though I still enjoyed the melodrama of the latter)?

Also, what are some other good action/drama seinen comics that are vaguely similar to stuff like Keyman or Shut Hell? I'd like something that is serious and good but not quite as serious as, say, Inio Asano's stuff. I'm currently out of stuff to marathon and it's kind of overwhelming randomly trying out each individual title on Batoto or something.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Ytlaya posted:

What are some good manga with the theme of forbidden/impossible/difficult love (though preferably not as the primary plot point) along the lines of Shut Hell or the Korean manhwa Orange Marmalade (I would prefer more like the former than the latter, though I still enjoyed the melodrama of the latter)?

Also, what are some other good action/drama seinen comics that are vaguely similar to stuff like Keyman or Shut Hell? I'd like something that is serious and good but not quite as serious as, say, Inio Asano's stuff. I'm currently out of stuff to marathon and it's kind of overwhelming randomly trying out each individual title on Batoto or something.

Not a manga (yet?), but there's a light novel series that might be of interest to you:

Old impressions posted:

Finished reading Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai by Morihashi Bingo. This is the first book in a new series by the author of the Shinonome Yuuko trilogy I gushed about a few months ago. With the previous series being such a pure romance, I expected more of the same with this title.

And at the heart of it, I guess it is. It's just that the gimmick this time is that the girl the protagonist falls in love with happens to be a female-to-male transgender.

Shirou is a boy from Tokyo who is so sick of living under the rule of his three bossy sisters, that he chooses a boarding school in Hiroshima as his high school. Dreaming of an environment free of women, his hopes are crushed on arrival, as his dorm room-mate Mirai turns out to be a girl who desperately wishes she was born a boy instead. As Mirai has the backing of the school board, Shirou grudgingly agrees to this strange situation, and promises to keep the secret from the rest of the students, so Mirai can lead a life as normal as possible under the circumstances.

Needless to say, a light novel is an odd place to bring up transgender issues. One awkward consequence is that poor Mirai ends up illustrated both stepping out of the shower naked, and in a glistening swimsuit by the pool. It's a confusing contrast to how casual and practical the text treats the character, along with the issues faced in everyday life. Mirai's personality is that of a boy who loathes to be reminded of his physical body, but the images clearly highlight how feminine it is. As conflicting as these messages seem, I suppose they also serve to show the struggle Shirou has with treating Mirai as a male friend, while simultaneously feeling attracted to these glimpses of the hated female side.

I actually think the character writing works. Their relationship is built over a number of slice-of-life events, spread across the school term, in a very down-to-earth fashion, with friendly conversations giving more insight and detail. The prose is pleasant and easy to read, making it fast and comfortable to blast through pages. So, I enjoyed it. It's a nice novel.

Yet I can't really let go of the feeling that this will all go horribly wrong in later books. That Shirou will fall in love with Mirai and somehow manage to "turn" her eventually. I'm also far too ignorant to judge the (in)accuracy of transgender issues here. The author gets away with it somewhat by Mirai not being the main character, so there's a filter of indirectness covering everything, but the subject is a complex one, and I don't want to be the one to mess with it.

Three volumes out so far, but translators seem more interested in working on new game reincarnation clones than gender identity stuff. Hopefully there'll be a manga adaptation that's easier to tackle. Maybe keep an eye out?

Edit: I don't know what Shut Hell or Orange Marmalade are like, but this is in the theme of "difficult love".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Three volumes out so far, but translators seem more interested in working on new game reincarnation clones than gender identity stuff. Hopefully there'll be a manga adaptation that's easier to tackle. Maybe keep an eye out?

Edit: I don't know what Shut Hell or Orange Marmalade are like, but this is in the theme of "difficult love".

Ah, that sounds interesting, thanks. While not specifically what I had in mind (I was thinking more along the lines of "it's literally/physically difficult or impossible for two characters to meet/be together"), that still sounds like it might be worth reading. I'm curious to see how it treats the topic, given how bad Japan usually is regarding LGBT issues.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Teppu 32 is out. Second to last chapter?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Teppu 32 is out. Second to last chapter?

Yep!

"Take that, bitch. — I've won." :unsmith:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Grim Up North posted:

Yep!

"Take that, bitch. — I've won." :unsmith:

She had won the victory over herself. She loved Big Brother.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

She had won the victory over herself. She loved Big Brother.

gently caress. :golfclap:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:siren: There is a new Maoyuu Maou Yuusha chapter out. :siren:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Imperial Guards is pretty loving manly.

Imagine, if you may a XIX century-style war between fantasy Japan and fantasy Russia, in a world where there are dragons and sabre-toothed tigers, without our protagonist fighting in a desperate defensive war.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mikl posted:

:siren: There is a new Maoyuu Maou Yuusha chapter out. :siren:

All this buildup! I wasn't expecting a friggin' 70+ page chapter either, jesus. What sort of magazine runs chapters that long?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Turin Turambar posted:

Imperial Guards is pretty loving manly.

Imagine, if you may a XIX century-style war between fantasy Japan and fantasy Russia, in a world where there are dragons and sabre-toothed tigers, without our protagonist fighting in a desperate defensive war.

This ended up being a pretty neat manga overall.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus posted:

All this buildup! I wasn't expecting a friggin' 70+ page chapter either, jesus. What sort of magazine runs chapters that long?

Good question. This might be off-topic but can you link me to your SAMart thread because I have a hat request and I dont know where to make it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Good question. This might be off-topic but can you link me to your SAMart thread because I have a hat request and I dont know where to make it.

Not sure which one you mean, so I'll link both my discount thread and the TF2/DOTA/CSGO thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Shiori Experience. I'm still a bit sick of the ganging up stuff that happens but I do like where this is going, and I REALLY like the effectiveness of the artist's emotions. They're really good at portraying pure rage, energy, happiness, and just flat-out emotional strength when it really counts.

Like, you KNOW how much that punch must have hurt just by the fury in her face.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That's an awesome premise.

Also I'd like to thank people in general for recommending stuff in here and doing wee write-ups since otherwise I doubt I'd be able to find any good stuff on my own.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shiori Experience is such a feel-good comic. I feel like it's the sort of thing that would actually translate well to a live-action drama, if not for the issue of having to cast the Jimi Hendrix character.

One thing I find really interesting is how everyone is acting like being in a rock band is super uncool. Is this some cultural thing throughout all of Japan or is it just related to the fact that their specific school is a prep school? Because I remember that being in a rock band was like an immediate path to being considered top tier "cool" when I was in high school.

edit: Laughing out loud at this page:

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 28, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It walks a very thin tightrope between fantastic and so self-damaging that it's not enjoyable at all. I've said it before but the sheer comical evilness of the school and much of the students/staff towards the light music club is not fun after a certain point, which it was getting to very rapidly when the club room got trashed, before starting down this path to get a singer. I'll still read it, for sure, but there's been a few points where it's just like "take a loving stand already!"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lol the whole point is about not letting the past dictate how you aim for the future, its a super positive and heartwarming comic thats supposed to impart the reader with a desire to change their living today

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

captain baby

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sharkopath posted:

lol the whole point is about not letting the past dictate how you aim for the future, its a super positive and heartwarming comic thats supposed to impart the reader with a desire to change their living today

It's just that it lays on the abuse of its characters pretty thick in a few places that get to be a bit much. I get what Captain Invictus means. This last chapter was to explain a past element at least but yeah the previous couple chapters of the club just getting poo poo on over and over seemed too over the top. There's already plenty of adversity to overcome without piling on some seemingly hamfisted "BAD EVENTS" on top of it.

That said I still enjoy it a lot, just hopefully they start moving forward to something and not just getting poo poo on each chapter for much longer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I never said anything about that, I was saying that the focus on repeatedly beating Shiori and co down was getting tiring.

That Works posted:

It's just that it lays on the abuse of its characters pretty thick in a few places that get to be a bit much. I get what Captain Invictus means. This last chapter was to explain a past element at least but yeah the previous couple chapters of the club just getting poo poo on over and over seemed too over the top. There's already plenty of adversity to overcome without piling on some seemingly hamfisted "BAD EVENTS" on top of it.

That said I still enjoy it a lot, just hopefully they start moving forward to something and not just getting poo poo on each chapter for much longer.
Exactly. Balance is key. Too much making GBS threads on is just not enjoyable to read.

Sharkopath posted:

captain baby
You're like a literal fetus sharky, don't speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's what makes the power of music even more magical.

The Shiori Experience is good.