Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
And then Kojima has the audacity to name him "Punished" Snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Punished "Venom" Snake, technically speaking. I also love Dr. "Huey" Emmerich.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decus posted:

The more "you're dumb" implication in his post is that any significant portion of modern Fallout sales come from it being Fallout. They come from it being "another Bethesda open world this time with more future stuff and guns which may or may not be more relevant to my interests than TES fantasy". Like, he even brought up Skyrim numbers as if he should know this but apparently does not.

People can whine all they want about wanting this or not wanting that in their "Fallout" but at the end of the day if it's as open world and offers as much exploration and whatever else they're actually paying money for they'll buy it. They could carpet the entire setting in vegetation and even the largest whiners would buy it just like they bought every other Bethesda game for exploration. They could make the entire thing a desert and the same thing would happen, etc.

What's the next TES game, swamps? And then deserts? Yeah.

Mmm idk I think you're drastically underestimating brand power and what motivates the purchasing of the average person out there not posting on forums. Openworld Bethesda game certainly will draw sales but if it isn't what is expected then it won't go over all that well and hurt the brand which will hurt future sales.

I'm not whining or anything I'm just telling you the probable business motivation behind making every Fallout look generally like the nukes just dropped 5 years ago. TES is probably going to be swamps yeah but TES is much less setting dependent and 'feel' dependent than Fallout and more dependent on fantasy and lore. I'm not making this up whole cloth, I'm telling you what Bethesda people themselves basically say if you watch the 'making of' videos about these games. They are super reluctant to mess with the Fallout formula.

I could be wrong I guess idk why you gotta get all rude about it though. Probably because this is Games.

I mean essentially your argument is 'it doesn't matter slap Bethesda on there and make it open world and they can shovel any poo poo down' which will work to get sales from brand power but people are fickle man release one poo poo show and that's what they remember the next time around.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 17, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Is this some kind of fetish exercise where Fallout is cuckolded by the raw market power of The Elder Scrolls? Do we do this every Wednesday night?

No, mostly pointing out that anyone talking about the importance of keeping a Fallout aesthetic is extremely dumb. Also, The Elder Scrolls does not matter anymore. Skyrim is more important as a single game than the rest of it's franchise. So I guess both Fallout and TES are being cuckolded by the two cocked Skyrim, to keep with your metaphor.

By virtue of guns and explosions, Fallout 4 could easily replace Skyrim in the grand human consciousness though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nasgate posted:

No, mostly pointing out that anyone talking about the importance of keeping a Fallout aesthetic is extremely dumb.

guess you should go tell the devs they are dumb then bc keeping a Fallout aesthetic is super important to them according to their statements in the 'making of' videos for F3 and NV

steinrokkan posted:

People would most certainly NOT be confused by a post apoc. setting with lush nature.

I said they would be confused by a lush Fallout; especially right after F3 and NV.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 17, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nasgate posted:

Kind of weird that re:greenery chat no one has made mention of the originally planned 3rd fallout, wherein a main plot point is a valley in the rockies that was unscathed and full of lush greenery.
There was an area like that in Fallout 3, too, only with a magical mutant instead of a fortuitous safe zone.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That mountain town is fairly green too.

If the whole game world is dense forest and foliage that's different though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Haven't we already seen some greener areas in the released gameplay footage, or am I just getting confused because of the pre-war sequences?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So the fallout 4 steam forums are exploding all of a sudden with people super mad about the international pricing for, well, pretty much every region except for America and the UK. Because apparently Bethesda is pricing this game higher than other AAA titles. Predictably most people on the steam forums respond by telling complaining people to stop living in poor countries or to stop being brown. Has Bethesda said anything about their pricing decisions on a digital game? Or why it's way more expensive to buy this game on steam in most places than it will be to just buy the physical edition?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rincewind posted:

Haven't we already seen some greener areas in the released gameplay footage, or am I just getting confused because of the pre-war sequences?
The trees seem pretty uniformly leafless and covered in moss. There's grass and bushes and even some flowers if you look carefully in the Microsoft E3 demo, but brown seems to be the dominant palette for what they've shown us.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Posting in this thread almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

one on a bun
Oct 23, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Please never stop, you're the only refuge from pages of in depth discussion of plants in post apocalypse settings

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Fallout 4: cuckolded by the two cocked Skyrim

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I hope that crank on the laser musket is an option for more laser weapons. loving crank and spank laser guns are awesome.

Oh right. Also something something trees. Just to stay on topic.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm loving these little S.P.E.C.I.A.L videos

The most adorable little sniper rifle.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nuebot posted:

So the fallout 4 steam forums are exploding all of a sudden with people super mad about the international pricing for, well, pretty much every region except for America and the UK. Because apparently Bethesda is pricing this game higher than other AAA titles. Predictably most people on the steam forums respond by telling complaining people to stop living in poor countries or to stop being brown. Has Bethesda said anything about their pricing decisions on a digital game? Or why it's way more expensive to buy this game on steam in most places than it will be to just buy the physical edition?

I like reading the excuses that it deserves the extra money because its Bethesda. But I'm guessing the whole price jack is specifically to get people to buy physical as Howard wants to sell all of his useless plastic crap. Especially you, Europe! The game industry has been training you lot for years releasing more special editions and novelty items there than in the US and now it's time to collect on that mentality. You want to go digital? You'll be punished for it in pricing.

It's not going to win him anymore fans though, particularly if this pricing not only affects the grey market sites but puts up a nasty region lock which could effect Beth.net if they decide "well if we can't charge for every sort of mod, we'll just make a flat Xbox Live/PSN subscription to the so called creme-de-lacrem of the modding community".

Question is if this will hurt Bethesda on Steam like paid mods did as they once again act like they're big enough to play the game differently than everyone else.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I think the reason everything is still brown and poo poo 200 years after nuclear war is the same reason Skyrim is vacant and full of destroyed/abandoned buildings 200 years after the Oblivion crisis: Fantasy/Sci-Fi writers have no idea how time works and don't understand how much progress can be made in time.

:downs: After a catastrophic war, no one would be able to clear wreckage and rebuild for at least 500 years! :downs:

:saddowns: Wait, what do you mean Hiroshima was rebuilt and is now a vibrant city??? :saddowns:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Golden Goat posted:

I'm loving these little S.P.E.C.I.A.L videos

The most adorable little sniper rifle.

They released perception? Neat!

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Geoff Zahn posted:

I think the reason everything is still brown and poo poo 200 years after nuclear war is the same reason Skyrim is vacant and full of destroyed/abandoned buildings 200 years after the Oblivion crisis: Fantasy/Sci-Fi writers have no idea how time works and don't understand how much progress can be made in time.

:downs: After a catastrophic war, no one would be able to clear wreckage and rebuild for at least 500 years! :downs:

:saddowns: Wait, what do you mean Hiroshima was rebuilt and is now a vibrant city??? :saddowns:

Well, it helps when deathclaws and radscorpions aren't eating your construction workers.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Geoff Zahn posted:

This is a bit disingenuous. Hiroshima had the entire rest of Japan to pull resources from to rebuild it. That is not the case in Fallout.

You lose the infrastructure and the people needed to operate it.

Perhaps if there was some organization then resources would be pooled and progress would be made to reintroduce proper civilization, but that organization isn't there.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 17, 2015

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

If anything the world of fallout is much too optimistic about human progress in those circumstances (apparently globally infertile land). Canned food would have lasted 1 year and then everyone starves to death. I guess the series does feature tiny farms but they don't make much sense in a place that can't support grass. Humans have to eat a lot.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't think they ever said the ground was infurtile, just irradiated. There were farms in the first two gemes as well as in NV but the theme there was that severe drought and lack of fresh water was slowly causing more famine.

I have no idea why there were no farms around DC, aside from Bethesda taking the aforementioned "themepark" approach to world building and just overlooked it.

Although since most towns consisted of about 2-6 people maybe they really could strech out those pre-War supplies.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Inverness posted:

This is a bit disingenuous. Hiroshima had the entire rest of Japan to pull resources from to rebuild it. That is not the case in Fallout.

You loose the infrastructure and the people needed to operate it.

Perhaps if there was some organization then resources would be pooled and progress would be made to reintroduce proper civilization, but that organization isn't there.

But this is also the world where super science still exists in every day life and technology that can magically unfuck a small area of land or just mass purify water if you're uncreative so the optimism isn't entirely unfounded.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Crabtree posted:

But this is also the world where super science still exists in every day life and technology that can magically unfuck a small area of land or just mass purify water if you're uncreative so the optimism isn't entirely unfounded.

There is still the issue of 'everyday life and the entire infrastructure of the nation was hosed entirely sideways'

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Magmarashi posted:

There is still the issue of 'everyday life and the entire infrastructure of the nation was hosed entirely sideways'

How well was infrastructure in the Old World compared to now though? Particularly at the height of the Cold War about to turn hot with China or the resource problems that required America to actually invade Canada? There's just about the same amount of super science domes experimenting on the civilian population that would make the realities of MKULTRA look like a minor sex scandal, there's enough Nuka-cola to last until probably 8077, The Federal Government has become the Enclave and is probably about as violent and awful as it was before the bombs dropped, your Old World job had more likelihood of killing you because of a science experiment gone wrong, the security robots freaked or you were part of a series of Chinese sleeper agent dummy ops than when the nukes finally were launched; people were buying vault placements like they were life insurance and everyone knew there wasn't enough uranium to go around once Europe and the Middle East annihilated one another. How well-together was the infrastructure right around 2077 compared to 2277? There probably isn't much difference when you look at held together communities like The Institute.

The world's a hell of a lot more irradiated but the same sort of crazy and their fantastical science still exists.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Crabtree posted:

How well was infrastructure in the Old World compared to now though?

Well, considering most major avenues of mass production and distribution are destroyed, metro lines and airports devastated, entire areas of the country awash in deadly storms, military/medical/scientific centers mostly craters, power and water facilities defunct for two cents, roads mostly reclaimed by the terrain...

I'd say it's pretty poo poo compared to before the total annihilation of the country.

Yeah poo poo is just as crazy but weird crazy poo poo isn't infrastructure, man.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 17, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And yet all it'd probably take to build that back up within a few decades is an army of robots/securitrons or cyborgs or a little box full of G.E.C.K. The gravity of the situation isn't the same as Mad Max because Fallout has enough reset buttons to make the End of the World a bit of joke.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Crabtree posted:

And yet all it'd probably take to build that back up within a few decades is an army of robots/securitrons or cyborgs or a little box full of G.E.C.K. The gravity of the situation isn't the same as Mad Max because Fallout has enough reset buttons to make the End of the World a bit of joke.

Yeah but it's never going to happen because they want to keep the barren world poo poo rolling.

In regards to an army of robots: Where do you get a massive army of robots in working order to get things rolling? What facility do you take it to in order to repair or refit those unsuited for the tasks you need, how do you protect that place effectively, how do you fix it, if you need new parts manufactured where do you get the resources and the machinery to make those new parts, where do you find the people with the technical skills required, how do you feed and protect them, how do you feed and protect the cattle caravans through their incredibly long drives to deliver supplies or relocate factory parts, I could continue this on for a long rear end time but I feel you get the point about infrastructure. It's a long way to go from cattle drives to robot armies, especially when all of creation is trying to murder either for fun or food.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 17, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

That's why House is the optimal choice. :colbert:

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah but it's never going to happen because they want to keep the barren world poo poo rolling.

I could see them slowly having things get rebuilt or at least feeling less like 'the bombs just dropped' gradually over a few iterations of the game. NV feels more built up than F3 did.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

I mean don't get me wrong I'd love to see nature reclaiming poo poo and having green lichen pulling down concrete structures and stuff but you know most people are just not gonna be able to parse that with 'nuclear wasteland,' 200 years later or no and at the end of the day this is a product put out by a business and they want it to appeal to as wide of an audience as reasonably possible. It just so happens most of the audience expects that 'Fallout-y' stuff (remember most of them also haven't played F1 or F2).

so both the playerbase and the developers are retarded, autistic nerds who are scared and confused by anything other than the same lovely boring environment they've been seeing for the last 17 years. you're really selling me on this game

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Magmarashi posted:

The game says that there are some actual developed places around now like in the NCR proper. We just won't get to see any of it because the series thrives on aesthetic of barren wastelands filled with ruins of a retro-future.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

so both the playerbase and the developers are retarded, autistic nerds who are scared and confused by anything other than the same lovely boring environment they've been seeing for the last 17 years. you're really selling me on this game

Nah that's an extreme exaggeration of what I'm saying but it's games so idk what else I expect I guess.

I didn't say they're retarded, I said the devs said it's important to retain the 'Fallout' feel and they didn't want to mess with the formula too much for their first entries into the IP. The average person buying these games isn't on forums or discussion groups, they just buy it because they liked the last Bethesda games and the last Fallouts. They expect a certain feel to it to, and if it doesn't deliver they'll be disappointed. It's a fine line to walk between innovation and still making it a Fallout game.

I also said I can see them doing gradual changes (just not all at once). And personally I kind of like that 'lovely boring environment.' Lush would be cool, too, but roaming around a nuclear wasteland is cool.

Why are you so angry?

one on a bun
Oct 23, 2008
guh buh roads ugh fallout! trees ugh bluh crops muh video games

one on a bun
Oct 23, 2008
This game called fallout is too unrealistic because trees roads infrastructure! I want an entirely different game called notfallout where everything is fine and nothig is broken in the futurepast gently caress you Todd "hitler" howard! :o:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

one on a bun posted:

guh buh roads ugh fallout! trees ugh bluh crops muh video games

one on a bun posted:

This game called fallout is too unrealistic because trees roads infrastructure! I want an entirely different game called notfallout where everything is fine and nothig is broken in the futurepast gently caress you Todd "hitler" howard! :o:

A cautionary tale of the risks associated with smoking during pregnacny

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I like talking about the environments of a game I havent played yet

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

frajaq posted:

I like talking about the environments of a game I havent played yet
same

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I'd like to see more thoughtful layout of environments going forward. Re-Industrialized settlements surrounded by slum or agricultural areas, leading into semi-tamed wilds/wastes and then the untamed. Fo3 and NV have this major problem with people living within shouting distance of Deathclaws, insane junkie raiders and giant man-eating bears while acting like nothing is odd about that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Geoff Zahn posted:

its' because fantasy and sci-fi genre fiction is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I have learned is that people take Fallout's setting as a lot more realistic and serious that I do. Part of why I enjoyed it is that even without pop culture references it was patently ridiculous and goofy, much like Mad Max, not a serious analysis of post-nuclear life and recovery.

• Locked thread