Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Any other recommendations for gamepads that work with non-rooted phones, or would be worth going through the root process for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

38991994 for poker buddies

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

victorious posted:

Neither does Hitman: Go. I got up to the final levels and my tablet broke: all progress gone.

Go does have cloud save now but definitely didn't for a good long time.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yo, enter your silly friend code garbage here: Poker Heroes Goons

You can also view the spreadsheet for it to get everyone else's numbers

i didn't test the form validation regexes beyond putting my own info in, so PM me if it craps out on you

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Trying Dungeon Boss, it is quite refreshing and breaks the usual cookie cutter format that these type of games share.

My friend code for those who want to give it a try.
2612755, 4Tuna

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I like skinner boxes as much as anyone, but I'm not understanding the appeal of Dungeon Boss. From what little I played it's just a Pocket Knights clone with different graphics right down to the "You get fragments of heroes instead of heroes!"

Nothing inherently wrong with it of course but when I roll a gatcha I personally would much rather get the millionth variation on a slime-type fodder than see a progress bar move up slightly.

so that I can feed the slime to my anime heroes to watch a bar increment slightly

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just try arguing with that :colbert:
Anyone who uses the word "thort" non-accidentally has a closet full of utility kilts. And possibly an anime girl pillowcase on a body pillow.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Installed Dungeon Boss, uninstalled as soon as I saw it had an element wheel system.

Why the gently caress is this still a mechanic for any game or minigame in 2015? It's a dumb garbage kludge. Why yes, I want to find a team that really fits my preference and gameplay and works together well, level it all up, then get hosed because it's water and they computer is earth today or whatever and oh boy now I get to grind up a team of C-list shitheads.

It always comes down to that or spending tons of IAP on getting a second A-list team, which sadly I did several times in PAD and never again. Is developing for the mobile platform really just so limiting that nobody anywhere can create a single original idea?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Coldbird posted:

Installed Dungeon Boss, uninstalled as soon as I saw it had an element wheel system.

...you are actually upset that a game has a type system? :stare:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Drunk Badger posted:

Any other recommendations for gamepads that work with non-rooted phones, or would be worth going through the root process for?

If you want to go on the cheap, bug your local GameStop to see if they have one of these left over:
Red Samurai

It's functional, works with my unrooted phone and Nexus 7, and five bucks is hard to beat.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Drunk Badger posted:

I'm pretty happy with my Moga Pro. It feels pretty much like a 360 controller, was easy to set-up and has held up for a year and a half or so with nothing breaking. I wouldn't say anything about it is super outstanding either, though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Coldbird posted:

Why the gently caress is this still a mechanic for any game or minigame in 2015? It's a dumb garbage kludge. Why yes, I want to find a team that really fits my preference and gameplay and works together well, level it all up, then get hosed because it's water and they computer is earth today or whatever and oh boy now I get to grind up a team of C-list shitheads.

It always comes down to that or spending tons of IAP on getting a second A-list team, which sadly I did several times in PAD and never again. Is developing for the mobile platform really just so limiting that nobody anywhere can create a single original idea?

The type system is not nearly as restricting as other games. It is just an extra 30% extra/reduced damage. Where as tsume wrecking with his 1.5-3.5x damage. And lady is dealing 2x damage to all tanks. And most single element team can get one or two 15% passive increase of damage to everyone of the same color to overcome the negative elements.

And also yes. Mobile gaming is literally just looking at data of previous games and looking at what worked. Then they release a game as cheaply as possible and use the profits to polish up the game afterwards.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.
Rip Beefsteak fresh off the Southern Sun applying for Fleet Enemas

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Lutha Mahtin posted:

...you are actually upset that a game has a type system? :stare:
Not upset that 'a game' has it - that 'shittons of games' have it. It's purely derivative garbage meant to force good teams to only be good in arbitrary circumstances, forcing you to backtrack and gather up and level teams you don't like or want so you have a team for every opponent, rather than being able to focus on one strategy you like and really exploring deeper game mechanics with it - that probably don't exist in a game as lazily put together as anything with an element wheel.

...or it's there to get you to dump more on IAP

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Coldbird posted:

Not upset that 'a game' has it - that 'shittons of games' have it. It's purely derivative garbage meant to force good teams to only be good in arbitrary circumstances, forcing you to backtrack and gather up and level teams you don't like or want so you have a team for every opponent, rather than being able to focus on one strategy you like and really exploring deeper game mechanics with it - that probably don't exist in a game as lazily put together as anything with an element wheel.

...or it's there to get you to dump more on IAP

i guess i've always found that if a lovely grindy IAP mobile game is actually good, you'll eventually get enough uber-monsters or grind enough anime dogbutt evolution materials to put together a variety of teams. yes, i just said "if a lovely game is actually good" but in this case i think that it's true & appropriate :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Drunk Badger posted:

I'm wondering this, too, but for a (non-rooted) Nexus 4 phone. I don't know why they gimped the bluetooth support a few updates ago :(

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

I really like(d) my iPega 2025, until I accidentally broke the clip. It's a dual-stick pad with an extendable clip on top that holds stuff together pretty well. The shoulder buttons weren't super comfortable to hit, but I still used it a poo poo ton (mostly DS emulation).

I'm thinking I'll eventually replace it with the iPega 2023, which telescopes. My issue is that I want a telescoping pad that will support a phone in landscape AND portrait.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

My issue is that I want a telescoping pad that will support a phone in landscape AND portrait.

oy this shyster with his demands and things

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I'm thinking I'll eventually replace it with the iPega 2023, which telescopes. My issue is that I want a telescoping pad that will support a phone in landscape AND portrait.

Ok, the 2023 looks awesome. Clip-on seems to be really important now that I think about it. I imagine my phone sliding off my lap and being cumbersome now. I'll buy this when I get home.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Tagichatn posted:

Is anyone playing Elemental Wings? It's a fairly solid f2p shmup with the f2p stuff not being too bad. You can roll for elementals from the gacha, of which you can equip 3, and they do most of your dps. Enemies drop orbs and catching those activates the elemental attacks so you have to be dodging attacks and trying to get as many orbs as possible. They just had a big update yesterday too that added an adventure mode of short levels that reward you with xp items and elementals. Before that, they just had an endurance level that progressively got harder and never ended where you could compete for high scores among friends and the total playerbase.

I think it's pretty fun but I doubt it has the longevity of some of the other major f2ps. At least it has some actual skill involved and isn't just watching numbers go up like Shop Heroes.

Tried it, wasn't really hooked. The lack of content really killed it for me at the time. I need a little more motivation to keep playing, and the game's motivation is "well you're too weak to do enough damage before your mana bar drains, but if you keep playing you'll get a TINY bit stronger and maybe get a little farther". I also don't like that you can't move up and down, it makes the game feels really restrictive. Doesn't help that the player sprite is so big it feels hard to dodge some stuff anyway.

The Adventure mode looks like it's structured just like another F2P shmup-based game that was recently released called Dragon Heroes. That game actually gives you more freedom of movement and has a long adventure mode campaign thing, but in the end the game is basically recycling the hell out of enemy patterns and bosses so I got bored of that really quickly as well. Also the game is quite obnoxious at popping up a million messages at you when you're trying to get the main menu. No thank you game, I'm not interested in your $99.99 launch package, stop telling me about it.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Look Right posted:

Ok, the 2023 looks awesome. Clip-on seems to be really important now that I think about it. I imagine my phone sliding off my lap and being cumbersome now. I'll buy this when I get home.

What are the thoughts on this one? I'll need something where I still have access to the bottom edge of the phone to plug a charger in, but if the Ipega controllers are better than the Moga ones (in terms of better build quality / features) I'm willing to give it a try. Maybe someone knows a better model.

http://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Joystick/dp/B00KLS3UEY

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On Dungeon Boss it tells you before you enter the dungeon what types the enemies will be. You can choose from your heroes what will be the best combination to go up against them. So I don't really understand the complaint. If I'm going to be fighting red enemies, I pick more blue heroes to go in. It's never a case of "I spent a lot of time on building up this type and the oh no the computer is the type that beats that."

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Plus if you only need one team of heroes in these games it gets boring fast. You don't need to blow tons of gems to build up teams for various situations, and the game is fairly generous with gems at least at the start. By the time it starts being stingier, you should have enough people to make multiple teams for whatever you need/want. And then it comes down to the gold to skill them up, and the materials to Ascend/Star them up.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Tsume defeats everything anyway. Other than possibly an anti-demon fire boss.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah Tsume and Chief Nubnub are both really really solid picks for early things to get. I'm rather liking Ella Ametryst too, especially when the enemy team in arenas has a Tsume. Have Tsume hit everyone, charm their Tsume and he's low on life so he does tons of damage to his own team.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Droid Washington posted:

On Dungeon Boss it tells you before you enter the dungeon what types the enemies will be. You can choose from your heroes what will be the best combination to go up against them. So I don't really understand the complaint. If I'm going to be fighting red enemies, I pick more blue heroes to go in. It's never a case of "I spent a lot of time on building up this type and the oh no the computer is the type that beats that."

It's just such a boring rock-paper-scissors attempt at "strategy" they slap that on their skinner box to try to convince people their game has some measure of skill they could at least try to think up something new.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

Is anyone playing Elemental Wings? It's a fairly solid f2p shmup with the f2p stuff not being too bad. You can roll for elementals from the gacha, of which you can equip 3, and they do most of your dps. Enemies drop orbs and catching those activates the elemental attacks so you have to be dodging attacks and trying to get as many orbs as possible. They just had a big update yesterday too that added an adventure mode of short levels that reward you with xp items and elementals. Before that, they just had an endurance level that progressively got harder and never ended where you could compete for high scores among friends and the total playerbase.

I think it's pretty fun but I doubt it has the longevity of some of the other major f2ps. At least it has some actual skill involved and isn't just watching numbers go up like Shop Heroes.

Played it, sunk a couple of hours and bucks into it, did a full month of daily logins... not that impressed with it though, not enough to keep playing it. It's only sitting on my phone at this point because I spent money on it.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Also Elemental Wings takes for-ev-er to load, and they seriously need to hire a new (or any?) translator.

"I can zap bugs with lightning! Prove you're not a vermin."
"The thought of you fall makes me giddy. Now die!"

Rapner
May 7, 2013

wall monitor posted:

Also Elemental Wings takes for-ev-er to load, and they seriously need to hire a new (or any?) translator.

"I can zap bugs with lightning! Prove you're not a vermin."
"The thought of you fall makes me giddy. Now die!"

I've started a gaming blog around android poo poo and one of the things I'm going to measure is how. loving. long. it takes to load some 'poopbreak' games. Honestly, the average game takes longer to load now than games on my Wii U or PC.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
1) Downton Abbey: The Game is out.
2) Activision has the Downton Abbey licence?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

mrkillboy posted:

1) Downton Abbey: The Game is out.
2) Activision has the Downton Abbey licence?

this is the first time i think I've seen a game app where most of the reviewer names sound like they are white women of about my mom's age :lol:

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

What are the thoughts on this one? I'll need something where I still have access to the bottom edge of the phone to plug a charger in, but if the Ipega controllers are better than the Moga ones (in terms of better build quality / features) I'm willing to give it a try. Maybe someone knows a better model.

http://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Joystick/dp/B00KLS3UEY

I haven't used this one personally, but I think it's a good price and, despite being a random Chinese company, I think they make quality stuff. Mine only broke because I was like "I wonder if this will break if I push it this way..." and so I forced the top of the clip in a weird way and... it broke.

EDIT: God, I love amazon 1 star reviews.

1337kutkufan6969 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 18, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
For those of you who do mobile gaming on both iOS and Android, I have a question. I'm a pretty dogmatic Android user but I'm seriously considering picking up an iPad Mini 4 to replace my lost Android tablet. It would be the only iOS device I own (other than an iPod mini I use for the gym). The rest of my family is pretty much all Apple except for one kiddo who followed in my footsteps (so proud of her sniff sniff). But I feel like the gaming selection on iOS is much more robust and that everything pretty much goes to iOS first. For those that do both, which do you like better?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

But I feel like the gaming selection on iOS is much more robust and that everything pretty much goes to iOS first. For those that do both, which do you like better?

This used to be the case a few years ago, but most games are pretty good about eventually porting over to Android. That being said, a lot of games usually release on iOS first so if you don't want to wait, it's better to have an iOS device. I picked up an iPad from a family friend and I'm happy to have it mainly so that I can play games before they come out on Android and because I struggle with lack of HD space on my phone.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I've managed to accumulate over $9 in Googlebucks. Anything I should look into buying? Should I hold out for $10?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I was an iPod guy for several years, then picked up a lovely Android tablet to try it out. While it wasn't one-to-one on every app, Android was remarkably robust in terms of what I found and continue to find there. Certainly more than enough to upgrade to a Nexus 7 and buy my wife her own Android tablet, figuring in as well both tablets combined cost less than half of a decent iPad.

Now, Windows Phone, _that's_ an app ghetto.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

FredMSloniker posted:

I've managed to accumulate over $9 in Googlebucks. Anything I should look into buying? Should I hold out for $10?

I've been spending all mine on digital comics like a scumbag

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm in the same boat but will probably just keep saving until Pokemon comes out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FredMSloniker posted:

I just bought Noir Syndrome, which is also available on Steam. Plays great on my Nexus 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FredMSloniker posted:

I've been using mine for in-app purchases on games I like but wouldn't spend real money on.