Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah I stayed at war with Castille and POrtugal with Cueta, Mediera, the Azores, and the Canaries occupied...the warscore even after it finished ticking was around 40%, maybe? They ended up going to war with other people and got trashed (well, Castille did) so I eventually peaced out with a ~10 year truce and they never explored. I have no idea how it would work these days, but I am tempted to try it again.

My favorite thing to do is to actually let the Europeans colonize and then just bully the poo poo out of them and take all their colonies every 10-15 years. It just takes one solid war to cripple the bigger powers enough that you can then spend the next 100 years declaring wars the day your truces end, at which point there will be anywhere between 3 and 6 colonies ready for you to grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

VDay posted:

My favorite thing to do is to actually let the Europeans colonize and then just bully the poo poo out of them and take all their colonies every 10-15 years. It just takes one solid war to cripple the bigger powers enough that you can then spend the next 100 years declaring wars the day your truces end, at which point there will be anywhere between 3 and 6 colonies ready for you to grab.

To add to this, provinces that were colonized, not conquered from natives, provide 0% overextension, so you can often feed most of north or south america to your colonial nation in a single war. You still get some separatism, but without the overextension it's nothing you can't just patrol until it goes away. In my Ottomans WC I ate all of North America (minus ~30 provinces necessary to create a colonial nation in each region) in about 50 years (some trucebreaking was required).

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
Does anyone else every accidentally start wars? Sometimes I'll click on declare war to see if my allies will join and if the target's allies will join then I'll get a pop up and without thinking I will hit enter and start the war, most of the time when I'm at a great disadvantage. Happened a few times now...

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Shayu posted:

Does anyone else every accidentally start wars? Sometimes I'll click on declare war to see if my allies will join and if the target's allies will join then I'll get a pop up and without thinking I will hit enter and start the war, most of the time when I'm at a great disadvantage. Happened a few times now...

Just that I forgot we had a truce:

Allies will join: check
Their big allies will not join: check
My navy in place to decapitate their navy on day one: check
Quickly send a diplomat for forging a claim on that last province that you may or may not take: check
Enough mana saved for war taxes, reducing war exhaustion and voring: check.
Ahead in military tech: check

LET'S GO

Bam, minus 3 or 5 stability.

Fuuuuuuu

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OperaMouse posted:

Quickly send a diplomat for forging a claim on that last province that you may or may not take: check

LET'S GO

Fuuuuuuu
This would have been a great post if not for the mana reference. Or am I just being a snob?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Can someone please teach me how to utterly destroy Bahmanis please thank you

(India is far more awesome than I initially thought - sure I am making things harder by selecting a releasable nation which may break me sooner or later)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So I ended up converting my Latin Empire game to EU4 and now im just like wtf lost.

I know itd be easier to start as a newbie country in normal EU4 but I don't want to/ the same poo poo confuses me.

Should I just focus on learning war and then having the natural "WELL YA DIDNT DO THAT RIGHT HEYOOO" event diplomacy stuff to pop up or just work on stabilizing my Empire? There is just soooo much going on per area compared to CK2 i feel.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Chickpea Roar posted:

I just accepted Orthodox rebel demands and I kept the statute in restraint of appeals :toot:

gently caress first I find out I missed out on the venetian +2 tolerance +10% RU event and now I missed this one

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bort Bortles posted:

This would have been a great post if not for the mana reference. Or am I just being a snob?

You are not.

Transmetropolitan posted:

(India is far more awesome than I initially thought - sure I am making things harder by selecting a releasable nation which may break me sooner or later)

I wish I knew. I'm trying to get an Orissa game rolling, and I'm doing OK; conquered Bengal and most of Jaunpur, but I just can't stand up against the Muslim alliance that is Bahmanis, Malwa and Delhi. The other Hindu polities on the continent are weak as hell, and probably wouldn't even still be around if I wasn't propping them up all the time.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bort Bortles posted:

No. It's a rather tired meme.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Transmetropolitan posted:

Sometimes they just collapse and they also occasionally become diplomatically isolated due to being Shia. If they retake their cores and start blobbing they can get pretty scary, nobody is really going to stop them from eating the entire of South India. If this has already happened then you just need to get huger and beat them up enough that they start to get rebel problems.

If you're warring them early then your best bet is to try and take their gold province, without that they will be unable to spam crazy amounts of mercenaries.

My usual method is to just ignore them and dominate the North first, at which point you should be strong enough to fight them face on.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
My Orissa game only got off because the Timurids stayed strong for 50 years and hosed with all the alliances. Admittedly it took me 3 or 4 restarts as well, I don't think there's a fix strategy for Orissa, the start is simply too weak with all those strong nations around you. I think I've hardly been as opportunistic before as in this game tough, just wait until someone fucks up then jump on them to grow.
I also used two early colonies to grab lands in Indonesia to get some more power, that seemed to help with forcelimits and manpower too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

OH COME ON!!

10 YEAR REGENCY AND THEN THIS?! gently caress this game seriously. I'm done.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Bort Bortles posted:

Maybe just a little.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

double nine posted:

OH COME ON!!

10 YEAR REGENCY AND THEN THIS?! gently caress this game seriously. I'm done.

Always remember: Your current heir is only a suggestion. Anticipating their succession is the path to tears and pain.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Started as Ardalan, the Kurdish OPM vassal of the Timurids, now around 1600 I'm Persia and own almost the whole Arabian peninsula.

Kurdish starting thing gives you an extra diplomat, also an early one gives tolerance of heretics, awesome for expanding amongst Shia and Sunni.

I picked up Humanism, Quantity and Trade. Any ideas for what other stuff I should be looking at?

Also, not sure how to westernize, or if it's worth it, I would need to conquer myself through Mamluks (my ally) or Ethiopia to get to france/portugal.

Of couse the Otomans lost the whole western side of their country, wish that had happened when I was the Knights or Byz.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
New dev diary. Discount for developing capitals in big states, revanchism that makes it a bit easier to bounce back from defeats, and some ironman changes, including:

Wiz posted:

We're changing Ironman to be quarterly.
:toot:

also steppe stuff next week

I'm not sure how I feel about revanchism; aren't countries pretty drat stable already? I guess it's good if it stops little-medium countries getting chain-DOWed and obliterated so easily, but on the other hand having Russia or Ming go from taking like 5 doom wars to break to 10 sounds like a huge pain in the rear end. Maybe if it had a lessened effect at higher development or something. OTOH I haven't actually tried it out yet so in practice it could be totally different who knows

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 17, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd describe death spirals as a problem. Seems like yet another thing that will need to be balanced and sort of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" scenario. But who knows, maybe it's cool in practice.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Goddammit WHAT, you need to be Western to use the Overseas Expansion casus belli?! I JUST WANT TO UNIFY AFRICA UNDER A PLURALIST MUSLIM STATE

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Western, Eastern, or Ottoman.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mean, I'm mainly vassalizing-annexing the African states to expand so I guess I don't really need it...but I still ended up maxing out my first Idea slot for a colonist and some income boosters! I could've used those ADM points on base tax development and Administrative instead so I could resort to dumping mercs on everything forever :saddowns:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is EU 4 now at a state that it isn't broken? After every major DLC it takes a couple patches to fix things so I just want to check.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is EU 4 now at a state that it isn't broken? After every major DLC it takes a couple patches to fix things so I just want to check.

The hotfix came out like 2 days after the patch launched and was fine from then on out you whiner-baby

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OperaMouse posted:

LET'S GO

Fuuuuuuu

See I've done this too, and it's not my fault it's Paradox's fault. :colbert:

It's a UI issue. Lots of times there is enough information in that tiny little box that the huge stability hit is 'below the fold' and requires scrolling down. It should really be promoted to the top of the list!!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's been fine for weeks.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

EU4 has been generally fine for a while. The number of issues always spikes a bit after a new release, but Wiz's team has apparently paid down their tech debt aggressively enough that these spikes have gotten pretty small. I'm confident about playing each new DLC on release day now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Revanchism looks good from a gameplay perspective, but it feels a bit out of place historically. Does John Q. Serf really care if he's ruled by a German king rather than a French one?

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Paradox Plaza posted:

While I like the idea of Revanchism, two things worry me greatly about it.

1) It's scaled to warscore instead of to size of a country. Suppose the Netherlands loses 40% warscore territory. That's a big chunk of their country. Suppose France loses 40% warscore. That's not a lot for France. Yet another EUIV mechanic that makes the blobs blob blobbier.
2) It will be the most use to blobs. Big Blue Blob conquers Sarai. Big Blue Blob cores Sarai. Big Blue Blob loses Sarai. Big Blue Blob now has a bonus.

But I guess the devs dont want this to be for filthy casuals like me because they have a better audience with the world conquest and multiplayer crowds.

A lot of people asked if development would lead to OPM development spam and those questions were ignored...

Oh you guys. :allears:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Larry Parrish posted:

The hotfix came out like 2 days after the patch launched and was fine from then on out you whiner-baby

I haven't played since prior to Art of War so I don't loving know. But if its all good cool, I'm gonna reinstall it.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

horselords part 2, please come with a formable Turkestan/Tatarstan or something like it

I've only played one mod with altaic and tatar cultural unions because most modders are too busy with their Angevin Unions and various Romes to bother

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Fister Roboto posted:

Revanchism looks good from a gameplay perspective, but it feels a bit out of place historically. Does John Q. Serf really care if he's ruled by a German king rather than a French one?

I think the opposite. It makes sense for a beat nation to get nationalistic and build up to get back. Maybe later in history though, I guess, since nationalism wasn't really a think before a certain time period?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My successful Bengal Tiger run. It's the mid 17th century. Eating India was a bitch, and I'm incredibly behind on admin tech because of it. I basically was extremely aggressive in the game. The advantage Bengal has is that it is surronded by 4/5 different religious groups, allowing you free reign to expand once one side has gotten all uppity about your rampant expansionism. Ming fell apart really early, which was great because it prevented an early game bitch slap by Ming. I basically waited patiently for the Hindus and the Muslims to fight each other, at which point I would move in to expand. Eventually, France DOW'd me (Spain also got its poo poo pushed in this game) and took Bengal Delta from me, allowing me to westernize. While that was happening, Yarkand was chewing on Tibet, so I decided to set things to right on the northern plateau and reprettyfy the borders. Eventually, I owned so much of India that nobody could resist me, which allowed me to grab back Samarkand. I ran 100% piety pretty much the whole game in order to convert provinces, which, in retrospect, was an enormous waste of time. I would definitely recommend humanism as Bengal.

I also ended up eating a significant chunk of SE Asia, which brought me gold and trade provinces that really made the difference for my war machine. I fought France for my core, a war that was hilariously costly, ran me completely dry of manpower, and ended up being a good way to spend a regency and absolutely not worth it for the Bengal Delta province back. I barely, barely won by getting my core back from France, even with their ally Pasai chunking away at my manpower. Once that occured, the next war with France when they went for a reconquest on me was a slice of cake - I was so strong, had so much manpower, and so much gold that every army they landed in India was quickly destroyed. Then, I decided to finish the achievement by just snaking my way through Bukhara (whch had by the grace of Allah, formed somehow), which turned out to be anti-climax. Now thats done, I think I'm done with this game.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? Something that's easy and not gonna require me to perfectly vassal feed would be preferrable.

liveoctopus
Oct 18, 2005

Sistergodiva posted:

I think the opposite. It makes sense for a beat nation to get nationalistic and build up to get back. Maybe later in history though, I guess, since nationalism wasn't really a think before a certain time period?

It sounds like they're trying to create Joan of Arc style comeback stories, which is certainly historical. That sort of thing was the birth of nationalism, and that makes sense for this time period.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Koramei posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about revanchism; aren't countries pretty drat stable already? I guess it's good if it stops little-medium countries getting chain-DOWed and obliterated so easily, but on the other hand having Russia or Ming go from taking like 5 doom wars to break to 10 sounds like a huge pain in the rear end.

I'm a little hesitant about revanchism because I'm not sure it's needed, but it wouldn't actually change anything about how you fight giant blobs. It doesn't affect war score, it just means that now big blobs might not completely collapse after losing just one big war. But it's not going to suddenly make fighting France, Ottos, Russia, or Ming take twice as long, and completely crushing a country and depleting their manpower/armies is still going to hurt and will still leave them weak. It just, at least in theory, gives them a slight bonus so that they're not sitting dead in the water for a decade after a lost war. I guess we'll see how well it works soon-ish.

Yeah if there's one thing developers hate it's their games having broad mass appeal.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What causes the trade failure event?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

liveoctopus posted:

It sounds like they're trying to create Joan of Arc style comeback stories, which is certainly historical. That sort of thing was the birth of nationalism, and that makes sense for this time period.

I would really like to see some kind of system that models complacency, where you gradually degenerate as you succeed and are rejuvenated when you fail. To me, the French Revolution is a really good example of this: the strongest player in Europe doesn't get to go revolutionary - it's always one of the weaker ones, especially one that has just recently experienced a failure. But that's a very specific case, not a generalized mechanic.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A White Guy posted:

My successful Bengal Tiger run.

Yeah Bengal is almost kind of a mini-Ottoman empire as far as scenario goes, complete with crazy bonus religious unity and a manpower modifier. They rarely get serious unrest and as you said they can expand in almost any direction. They're a great option for people looking to break out of the standard European game.

Even so, vassal strats are the way to go for that achievement. Coring the entire Indian subcontinent takes a terrifying amount of diplo points.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You don't actually need to own most of India for that achievement either though. In my Bengal Tiger run I just drilled through Delhi and whoever else was between Bengal and Samarkand in a long snake and then declared on the Timurids when they were falling apart like they always are and grabbed Samarkand off them. Took like 50 years iirc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bengal is in a pretty perfect position to do Silk Road though too. I grabbed them both on the same run.

e: VV I agree, the Sultanates really are too easy. Bengal is the Ottomans of India.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Playing with the sultanates there is just ~wrong~ you haters of sacred bovines

Gonna tinker a bit with Vijayanagar. For those who have 360 noscope mad skills, go Punjab and go Sikh. Your very own religion and you are frontloaded with military bonuses front to back ready to bring a fuckton of tolerance, class equality and free meals to everyone in this damned subcontinent

• Locked thread