Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Cephalocidal posted:

V: A hallucination... yeah, I think I've had those. After I woke up in the hospital colors were sort of faded.
O: It looks like you've got a contemporary gameplay mechanic pressing against your optic nerve that causes these "hallucinations" when you're under extreme stress and about to die.
V: Makes sense. To be honest I wasn't too sure, it was kind of hard to pay attention to the hallucinations at the time what with floating boys and giant flame-whales and the puppet husk of Soviet nuclear ambition tossing fire at me.

Even if we're just making poo poo up it's important to remember that the plot of TPP was pressed into form like the toes of a Chinese Song-dancer so that it would reflect as literally as possible the lyrics of a song written by David Bowie in 1970. Metaphors exist in the world of Metal Gear, but they're tangible things - Words, Phantoms, Memes, and straight-up Emotions can kill you. WITH BULLETS.

And in one game, you can turn bullets into emotions to leave your enemies a sobbing wreck. Or psychopathic monsters.

MGS is fun and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
What is the point of building nukes? Do they do anything? What is the point of Battle Gear? It just gets made and then they tell me to send it out on missions but I can't?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Gorgolflox posted:

What is the point of building nukes? Do they do anything? What is the point of Battle Gear? It just gets made and then they tell me to send it out on missions but I can't?

Nukes prevent people from invading your FOB unless they have a nuke themselves or they have more than 150k heroism.

Battle Gear can only be deployed in Combat Operations and even then only on certain missions. It sucks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The official guide says Battle Gear was playable but unbalanced and instead of just saying gently caress it go nuts on the map in permanent alert they say nope.

150k heroism is laughably low to circumvent the nuclear bomb thing online, it needs to be at least double that to make having a nuclear deterrent worth it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I hit that WELL before having the resources required to build a nuke ( I actually still don't).

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Aurain posted:

The official guide says Battle Gear was playable but unbalanced and instead of just saying gently caress it go nuts on the map in permanent alert they say nope.

150k heroism is laughably low to circumvent the nuclear bomb thing online, it needs to be at least double that to make having a nuclear deterrent worth it.

The 150k isn't the deterrent part, that's just to keep people who are still early in the game away from it. Like I think the idea is that by the time you have 150k heroism you've probably put enough time and resources into your FOB that losing it instantly would be pretty bad. Making it more like an actual deterrent, maybe?

Except nukes take so long to build that no one wants to use them either so it kind of breaks down there.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 17, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Also you want to be invaded by idiots under 150k heroism so they die to level 55 security teams while you work

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I wish I could find somebody to steal nukes from. The one time I did someone showed up to defend right when I reached the last platform. Like the second I get my hands on another nuke someone is getting blown up just so I can see what happens.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm almost positive you can't actually blow people up with nukes and its just a weird game of telephone that makes people think you can.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Augh my nuke is still 17 hours out and I want to just decomission it for the trophy but at the same time I have to know

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

lets hang out posted:

The 150k isn't the deterrent part, that's just to keep people who are still early in the game away from it. Like I think the idea is that by the time you have 150k heroism you've probably put enough time and resources into your FOB that losing it instantly would be pretty bad. Making it more like an actual deterrent, maybe?

Except nukes take so long to build that no one wants to use them either so it kind of breaks down there.

Pretty sure you can just cheat them in, I've seen guys with 8.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Its absurdly easy to steal nukes so having 8 isn't that surprising. Apart from the fact that to do so those chumps literally bought a second FOB for some unknown reason.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Pretty sure you can just cheat them in, I've seen guys with 8.

It sure is easy to cheat in this game so

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
A guy invaded me yesterday who I think was hacking because only UAVs could detect him and every time he was detected the log pinged "Intruder Detected" 20 straight times with no alert, and he defeated every guard on three fully-upgraded Combat Unit platforms with CQC. Mysteriously, a defender was able to spawn in, start an alert by detecting him, and CQC-Fulton him out in under a minute of his arrival. I wonder if there's some invis hack that behaves like that, but I guess it doesn't work on players, and infinite health wouldn't help against being Fultoned out after a knockdown so I guess that's how the defender got him. Or was he just super good somehow? :iiam:

I counter-invaded since he had nukes, bum rushed his Command platform, stole all 4 nukes, then dove into the ocean. He can keep the staff but gently caress his nukes, although he probably just stole them from somebody else anyway. The funny thing about nukes is they show up online long before they appear in your offline inventory, so people can invade and steal them before you have any opportunity to dispose of them. I'd like to dismantle all of them but I have no way of being sure someone else won't just rush in and take them from me before I have any recourse. I wonder how Konami expects anyone to do global disarmament when ghost nukes exist in a state of online limbo and get passed around like a hot potato, never actually possible to get rid of.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pwnstar posted:

I'm almost positive you can't actually blow people up with nukes and its just a weird game of telephone that makes people think you can.
Yeah, I'd like to see at least one single stinking Youtube video of some guy finding out his FOB has been nuked. It's gotta be out there if that's actually a thing. Seems like it would be happening constantly and there would be salty videos all over the place.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
doesnt it take a long time to build a nuke? i know im going to nuke the first person who invades me once i've built one because gently caress deterrence.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

doesnt it take a long time to build a nuke? i know im going to nuke the first person who invades me once i've built one because gently caress deterrence.

This is why I'm pretty sure you can't actually nuke anyone, if you could then it'd be nuclear winter by now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone posted an ELI5 question in /r/metalgearsolid
the best response was "ELI isn't 5, he's 12 I think."

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Huey is such a piece of loving poo poo

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

acksplode posted:

This is why I'm pretty sure you can't actually nuke anyone, if you could then it'd be nuclear winter by now.

yeah, there would be an outcry because that equals into a lost fob and thus lost cash? unless it just made you start from scratch again. doesnt seem to be any point to if it not, unless it really is the only way to unlock that cutscene.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Unfortunately, the story of the future games can't support nuclear war in the 1980s. Unfortunately.

"As you remember Snake, the 1980s saw an unprecedented level of nuclear proliferation among PFs in the Atlantic Ocean. With so many nukes, deterrence was a pipe dream. Competition for resources and territorial disputes escalated into full blown conflict, and the world changed forever when FAT KING nuked SONS OF QUIET. From there, everything spiraled out of control. It's the reason why the push for nuclear disarmament became a reality in the early 1990s, although Big Boss brought it back with a vengeance with his Metal Gears."

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

Huey is such a piece of loving poo poo

He's has some points. He just makes them in the whiniest bitchiest way possible.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Romes128 posted:

He's has some points. He just makes them in the whiniest bitchiest way possible.

Every valid point he makes is a loving accident. If he's not talking about how awesome something he built is he's just stringing random words together while he looks for a way out of the conversation.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

maybe huey built the nukes so they turn out to be poo poo nukes filled with poo poo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Vikar Jerome posted:

maybe huey built the nukes so they turn out to be poo poo nukes filled with poo poo.

Or nukes that turn anything they touch into poo poo.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

so Huey is such an rear end in a top hat he recreated Sigint's nightmare?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

vkeios posted:

so Huey is such an rear end in a top hat he recreated Sigint's nightmare?

poo poo and assholes go together, so I don't see why not.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
People who say Hayter couldn't have voiced snake because the game was too dark and serious must have just mentally blanked out during all the scenes with skullface.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

They actually just take it in turns to have sex with his wife.

Hayter couldn't have voiced Snake because he sounds like a bag of rusty nails doing a David Hayter impression.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Aurain posted:

They actually just take it in turns to have sex with his wife.

Hayter couldn't have voiced Snake because he sounds like a bag of rusty nails doing a David Hayter impression.

To be fair, Venom Snake looks like he just crawled out of a bag of rusty nails.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nail Rat posted:

No, Ocelot doesn't. See the end of MGS4. He hypnotized himself to believe Liquid was taking over his mind through the arm. It makes no sense and the Sorrow explanation would've worked better but Kojima just loves to throw in unneeded twists.

And it double makes no sense when you realize that a ghost loving up hypnosis and nanomachines is literally what happens with Screaming Mantis both before and after she dies, you even see the literal ghost of Psycho Mantis moving her corpse around.

Also Drebin gives a weird speech about her nanomachines being used to trap Mantis from beyond the grave and goddamn it just seems like everything is being set up to explain why Ocelot no longer has Liquid's physical arm in MGS4.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 17, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Theory time: Anderson woke up Big Boss to smoke out Skullface. After a connection was established between young Mantis and coma Volgin all it took was bringing the kid near enough to BB to form a psychic bridge, using Volgin's rage to jump start BB (and Volgin.) This plot was in place as a contingency by '77. The implementation was delayed until '84 so that Cipher could continue its work unobstructed with BB as a backup plan, but once Skullface started loving around more openly with the parasites in Africa they pulled the trigger before things got further out of hand. V has come to, Russian accent. They were watching Volgin's body, not Snake's. Then the game of telephone that ends with Ocelot's iDroid, and taking the Phantom off of the drip keeping him under so that he could be prepped to function as convincing bait.

Edit: This pirate crackdown is a go.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 17, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Nail Rat posted:

No, Ocelot doesn't. See the end of MGS4. He hypnotized himself to believe Liquid was taking over his mind through the arm. It makes no sense and the Sorrow explanation would've worked better but Kojima just loves to throw in unneeded twists.

They never explicitly retcon'd Ocelot's phantom limb syndrome in MGS2. It's only the explanation for it in MGS4. Assuming he replaced the arm after Liquid's plan failed between games.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 17, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cephalocidal posted:

Theory time: Anderson woke up Big Boss to smoke out Skullface. After a connection was established between young Mantis and coma Volgin all it took was bringing the kid near enough to BB to form a psychic bridge, using Volgin's rage to jump start BB (and Volgin.) This plot was in place as a contingency by '77. The implementation was delayed until '84 so that Cipher could continue its work unobstructed with BB as a backup plan, but once Skullface started loving around more openly with the parasites in Africa they pulled the trigger before things got further out of hand. V has come to, Russian accent. They were watching Volgin's body, not Snake's. Then the game of telephone that ends with Ocelot's iDroid, and taking the Phantom off of the drip keeping him under so that he could be prepped to function as convincing bait.

Edit: This pirate crackdown is a go.

Not that it disproves it, but Zero directly tells Kaz that the code word for "Big Boss" awakening is "V has come to". Of course, he doesn't know that it refers to Venom Snake, rather than Big Boss.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Aurain posted:

Not that it disproves it, but Zero directly tells Kaz that the code word for "Big Boss" awakening is "V has come to". Of course, he doesn't know that it refers to Venom Snake, rather than Big Boss.

Zero established the reactivation of Big Boss as a contingency before going parasenile and Anderson taking over. He might not have understood why it would eventually be necessary, but he understood what the mechanism would be and wanted to make sure that when the time came Kaz was there to make sure things went smoothly.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I haven't played MGS4 but they seemed to do a real disservice to Psycho Mantis. When he was on his deathbed in the first game he regrets he never used his powers for good, but when he comes back as a ghost in MGS4 he's still an evil rear end in a top hat. Chalk it up to unnecessary fan-service.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's been forever since I played MGS4 but I thought it wasn't actually him but his echo or something. Could be completely wrong though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Hmm yeah that seems pretty much right sprint past 75 guards and 20 UAVs/Cameras along the most direct route that passes 20+ guys looking directly at you.

I actually went and timed this and on a Visit to my own FOB (i.e. friendly guards who won't alert) it took exactly this long to sprint to the door with no deviation or stopping or people shooting me. So yeah the PC's gonna be full of cheaters and they've finally started going after my FOB, oh well. I unlocked all the research so really as long as people don't gently caress with my Intel and Support teams I guess it doesn't actually matter how many dudes they take. It seems I win whenever I've got a defender so I just have to hope my supporters keep up the mostly good work.

Bet it was those phantom nukes I don't have yet and can't dispose of yet that attracted this guy too. :sigh:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Psycho Mantis has one of the lowest ratios of good character development to appearances in the series. They set up an interesting character in MGS1 and then... garbage bullshit forever. Of all the FOXHOUND characters in MGS1, he has the most appearances beside Ocelot, and yet it's all downhill after MGS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I haven't played MGS4 but they seemed to do a real disservice to Psycho Mantis. When he was on his deathbed in the first game he regrets he never used his powers for good, but when he comes back as a ghost in MGS4 he's still an evil rear end in a top hat. Chalk it up to unnecessary fan-service.

If you assume he's still just a psychic conduit with no free will even as an adult, then the whole "I never believed in the Boss's plan...I just want to kill as many people as I could" line in MGS could be Liquid's true thoughts about his own uprising. "The Boss" meaning Big Boss, I guess. Keeping with the theme in MGS5 of his appearance changing whenever a new person parasitizes him, Mantis is wearing the same trenchcoat as Liquid in MGS1.

Reading Meryl's mind, telling Snake about her secret crush, putting the location of the mines in her head and moving the bookcase could just be him channeling Solid's will as he dies. Regretting that he never used his abilities for his own sake is a theme of Solid Snake as well as Mantis, after all.

• Locked thread