Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I installed it on my Mini 1 and it seems choppy, but no worse than iOS 8 was. This iPad is getting long in the tooth for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

Spend some time playing around with a Mini as well just in case you don't like the 10" screen. The Mini 4 will have the Air 2 specs whenever it drops in stores, should be a beast with the small screen and all that power.

I've actually got a 2012 Nexus 7 which is slow and too small for what I want to use it for, so I'm really excited for the larger screen. One of my old coworkers got an Air when it first came out and I loved the size, I've just procrastinated in upgrading for a while now.

its no big deal posted:

I decided after the event last week to get the Air 2 with 64GB. I love it and am realizing how much I missed having an iPad. You'll be happy with the power and portability. Speaking as someone who's coming back to iOS on iPad, a lot of apps have improved significantly for doing "real work".

This is something I'm excited for as well; most of the applications my company uses have iOS apps that are fairly full-featured, it'll be nice to have that option if I leave my laptop at work or something.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aphrodite posted:

iOS9 adds a bit of lag to the Air, presumably because it has less ram.

It's not major but Awful no longer smoothly scrolls, and closing Safari tabs is much slower. We're still talking sub second times here and I'm sure I'll stop noticing soon but having just been on 8 yesterday they stand out for now.

Awful's jittery scrolling on ios9 is code related, it's being fixed. I would not be surprised if the same is true for other apps (probably not Safari though).

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

GobiasIndustries posted:

This is something I'm excited for as well; most of the applications my company uses have iOS apps that are fairly full-featured, it'll be nice to have that option if I leave my laptop at work or something.

I've taken to scrolling through my Lightroom catalog and picking individual photos to try editing in a different style. The app is slick enough to make it fun to do. Another instance is PowerPoint, which is integrated way better with Dropbox than I remember it being before. I haven't yet tried PIP with South Park on while I get presentations made for teaching, but I'm hoping it ends up as good as I think it can be.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Unfortunately this doesn't work. However, the order seems to be based on the most recently used apps.
Yeah, if you're accessing the same apps it's not a huge deal, but gets annoying once you want to find a new app or something. A simple workaround would be a little search field at the top.

And for anyone with 64 bit iPads (Air 1 or mini 2 and later) don't forget about content blocking extensions in iOS 9. Haven't done any tab reload tests or anything (ad/tracking script heavy pages should theoretically take less memory), but they provide a nice improvement on load speeds at least.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Aphrodite posted:

iOS9 adds a bit of lag to the Air, presumably because it has less ram.

It's not major but Awful no longer smoothly scrolls, and closing Safari tabs is much slower. We're still talking sub second times here and I'm sure I'll stop noticing soon but having just been on 8 yesterday they stand out for now.

At least, for Awful, the choppiness in the left menu sounds like something that can be resolved with some recoding from the app thread discussion. The behavior is just as choppy on my iPhone 6 regardless of the rest of the UI being smooth, so it doesn't seem connected to the other smoothness changes. Unless you meant in threads, in that case those scroll smoothly on my Air 1 as much as iOS 8 was.

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 18, 2015

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
So has Apple quietly jacked up the price on the Air 2 in the rest of the world? Or is it just Australia?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wheezle posted:

So has Apple quietly jacked up the price on the Air 2 in the rest of the world? Or is it just Australia?

Sorry man. US price points are the same.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wheezle posted:

Could it be the falling price of your dollar? Everything has quietly been getting more expensive in Canada, as well.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Prices have been 'adjusted' relative to currency fluctuations, yeah.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Europeans are also complaining in the iPhone thread. The US dollar is doing well right now and Apple uses the US price to set prices in other currencies.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Best iOS 9 feature is disabling shake to undo! It's in accessibility.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

dutchbstrd posted:

Oh my god, thank you.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

dutchbstrd posted:

Oh my god, THAT's what causes that? It would drive me crazy on my ipad or phone when I was putting in my sets/weights after working out and that kept popping up.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So as someone who hasn't had an iPad in a few years...

My son currently has an iPad 2 (which used to be mine), but it's obviously getting a bit long in the tooth and has become really slow/choppy lately. I want to upgrade him for Christmas, and I'm wondering if anyone here has gone from full size to mini?

I think (he's 6) he would be fine with the mini for a while at least, and I could upgrade to the next tier of storage for the same price.

On that note, how well do we think the mini 3 is going to hold up down the line? I personally think that the jump from the iPad 2 to the mini 3 is going to be significant enough to tide him over for a few years but if that's not the case, I'll spring for a mini 4.

e: \/ I only see 16 and 32 GB options available from Apple on the mini 2. That's one of the reasons I was looking at refurb Mini 3, because they were available with 64GB

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 23, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you're gonna get a Mini 3, go for the Mini 2. The only big difference between the two is the 3 has Touch ID. That said, if you want something that will last longest, go for the 4.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
So, since upgrading to ios9 my ipad 4 can no longer copy and paste on wifi login pages. It seems deliberate as the clipboard contents are accessible and remain unchanged before and after hitting the login page.

I'm not asking for help or anything, just trying to prepare 3rd party password manager or multi device users for a real headache.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

aBagorn posted:

My son currently has an iPad 2 (which used to be mine), but it's obviously getting a bit long in the tooth and has become really slow/choppy lately. I want to upgrade him for Christmas, and I'm wondering if anyone here has gone from full size to mini?
I switched to the mini years ago, it's fine.

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you're gonna get a Mini 3, go for the Mini 2. The only big difference between the two is the 3 has Touch ID. That said, if you want something that will last longest, go for the 4.
To expand a bit, the 4 has a faster CPU and (probably more important) double the RAM. There's already side by side apps to take advantage of it with iOS 9, and down the line the 2GB will probably be a support cutoff at some point.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
The software version number on my Mini 2 is 13B55119e which a bit of Googling suggests isn't the final version, but I can't update.
I think installing the beta wasn't such a good idea, haha. How do I fix this?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Download 9.0.1 and manually restore to it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
9.0.1 fixed the rotation bug on my Air 2, and also seems slightly snappier too (but could just be me).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
For the person who asked about going from a regular ipad to a mini-- after a while you don't even notice the size difference.

The only thing that would probably be better is if you use it to watch movies or read comics, but honestly with comics you can just pinch and zoom anything, and movies still look better on a mini than a phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I Am Crake posted:

The software version number on my Mini 2 is 13B55119e which a bit of Googling suggests isn't the final version, but I can't update.
I think installing the beta wasn't such a good idea, haha. How do I fix this?
Did you delete the beta profile? Did you install the GM?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone else notice that their volume display thing doesn't pop up when you use the buttons? It still works, just provides no visual feedback.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
^^^ Works for me, 9.0.1 ipad air.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Croc Monster posted:

^^^ Works for me, 9.0.1 ipad air.

I'm on 9.0, I guess I should update.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Endless Mike posted:

Did you delete the beta profile? Did you install the GM?

I did delete the beta profile and I unsubscribed from the apple beta software program, but it looks like I'm on a 9.1 beta right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I Am Crake posted:

I did delete the beta profile and I unsubscribed from the apple beta software program, but it looks like I'm on a 9.1 beta right now.

You won't get back on the release cycle until the 9.1 release version is out and rolling back will require deleting everything and reverting to a previous backup (assuming you have one)*.

*Only like 80% sure of this.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

dutchbstrd posted:

I had no clue as to why my phone always prompted me for this. THANK YOU!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

You won't get back on the release cycle until the 9.1 release version is out and rolling back will require deleting everything and reverting to a previous backup (assuming you have one)*.

*Only like 80% sure of this.

I made the same mistake on my phone, I accidentally said "sure, give me the 9.1beta!". Now I have to wait until 9.1 GM drops before I remove the beta profile. There is simply too much effort involved to roll-back to 9.0 and honestly 9.1beta has been really stable for me.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

flosofl posted:

I made the same mistake on my phone, I accidentally said "sure, give me the 9.1beta!". Now I have to wait until 9.1 GM drops before I remove the beta profile. There is simply too much effort involved to roll-back to 9.0 and honestly 9.1beta has been really stable for me.

Same here and yes, 9.1 has been super stable for me so I am happy with it. Plus it has the voice ID for Hey Siri so people cant say hey siri and search for naughty things.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Snuffman posted:

How's iOS9 on the iPad mini 1? Not asking for myself but for my mum. She loves her iPad mini, and I'm hoping the only issue she'll see is a bit of slowness for a day or two while Spotlight re-indexes. :ohdear:

She hasn't updated yet, but she's very good at updating the moment the notification pops up on the settings icon.

Still choppy but I've found it slightly less choppy than 8. Only slightly mind you.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I am thinking of getting an iPad to use primarily to watch movies with (I fly fairly often, additionally I like streaming Netflix or HBOgo while I exercise). I'm thinking of going with an Air 2 over the Mini, but I was wondering what other people thought? I haven't seen many people break out an air and watch movies during my plane trips, so I am a bit concerned that maybe it would end up being too big and cumbersome for that sort of thing? Thanks!

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 26, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've traveled around the world with my Air 1 and would never call it too cumbersome.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I am thinking of getting an iPad to use primarily to watch movies with (I fly fairly often, additionally I like streaming Netflix or HBOgo while I exercise). I'm thinking of going with an Air 2 over the Mini, but I was wondering what other people thought? I haven't seen many people break out an air and watch movies during my plane trips, so I am a bit concerned that maybe it would end up being too big and cumbersome for that sort of thing? Thanks!

I have a mini 2, my wife has an Air 2. We watched movies and played board games on her iPad and it was perfect. She reads books on it but I could never get into it, on Kindle the margins are too wide between the columns in landscape mode, or the text field is too wide. Personally, I find that a nice, narrow text field with tight margins really helps with speed and comfort, but I might just be weird.

Compare:
Mini 2:
Air 2:
Right click for full res.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Anyone know how to stop getting iOS 9 update alerts every day? I don't want to upgrade.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
What is the thing that shows up in ios9 when i swipe from the right, and is there a way to disable it?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

What is the thing that shows up in ios9 when i swipe from the right, and is there a way to disable it?

The multitasking menu?

Settings > General > Multitasking > Allow Multiple Apps

I should mention also, swiping from the right is a bit different now: swipe from the top or bottom of the right side and it performs whatever action it did before (ie Safari forward). Only the middle of the right side brings up the multitasking menu.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Air 2 is the poo poo. It's powerful and so will probably remain usable for a long time. It's the only iPad besides the pro that can do split screen multitasking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fleshweasel posted:

Air 2 is the poo poo. It's powerful and so will probably remain usable for a long time. It's the only iPad besides the pro that can do split screen multitasking.

The mini 4 should be able to do so as well.