Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

Remember that DLC is just Content that your DownLoad

actually its content that is digitally licensed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amppelix posted:

When did we start calling content patches free DLC?

How do I access this content patch without downloading it?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

How do I access this content patch without downloading it?

Look, can't I be a crotchety old man for a second and complain about how back in my day we called them patches or updates and liked it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Amppelix posted:

Look, can't I be a crotchety old man for a second and complain about how back in my day we called them patches or updates and liked it?

Well, it still is an update and a patch. Just because it's distributed via a download doesn't stop it from being those things.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you have to opt in to the update/download its DLC
if the update is automatically pushed to your system its a content patch

thanks and yuo're welcome

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

(because DLC means digitally licensed content and by opting in you create the license whereas there is no license for a patch/update)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Source on that? I've never seen DLC used as anything other than DownLoadable Content.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I just posted the incontrovertible rationale. follow me into a logically termed future

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

jivjov posted:

Source on that? I've never seen DLC used as anything other than DownLoadable Content.

Because literally no one has ever called it digitally licensed content.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You know it's true and a real thing because when you Google "digitally licensed content" you get hundreds of results. Hundreds!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Russad posted:

Because literally no one has ever called it digitally licensed content.

Ah good. I'll admit, I only searched Wiki real quick, but I was suspecting that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mmm yes good another insanely pedantic argument for the eshop thread

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Awesome! posted:

mmm yes good another insanely pedantic argument for the eshop thread

If Runbow gets DLC we're doomed

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

epitasis posted:

if you have to opt in to the update/download its DLC
if the update is automatically pushed to your system its a content patch

thanks and yuo're welcome

This is complete nonsense

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
DLC is a weird concept anyway....does it still count as "DLC" if it gets bundled into a retail collection? (A Game of the Year version, for example) If you buy a physical copy of a GOTY edition of a game, it doesn't come with any DLC because none of it is downloaded. But it was download exclusive at one point, before the bundling.

Honestly, going back to calling things "expansion packs" makes a lot more sense because that name doesn't have anything to do with the method of acquisition.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

less laughter posted:

This is complete nonsense

actually it's true

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if DLC means downloadable content then literally everything is DLC including retail games, mods and bugfixes

WAKE UP PEOPLE
AND LOOK
AT LIFE
AROUND YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

It's really cool that this thread is slowly discovering the difference between Semantics and Pragmatics all on its own. :allears:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
DLC yourself out of the thread please.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

epitasis posted:

if DLC means downloadable content then literally everything is DLC including retail games, mods and bugfixes

WAKE UP PEOPLE
AND LOOK
AT LIFE
AROUND YOU

I see you, Waluigi. You're not fooling anybody.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some news out of TGS:

-Japan is getting Metroid Prime Hunters on the Wii U VC in a couple weeks.

-Nicalis found a Japanese publisher for a few of their 3DS games (Cave Story+, 1001 Spikes, Binding of Isaac Rebirth); Cave Story is dated for September 30.

-Dragon Fang, a Japanese smartphone roguelike, is coming to the 3DS eShop next year as a New 3DS exclusive. Here's a trailer for the smartphone version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ_lLZU1wKs

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why do they need a publisher to put an eshop game in the eshop exactly?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

greatn posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if those Nicalis games were getting JP retail releases.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

greatn posted:

If I had to guess, the fee for getting a third-party title onto the eshop is surprisingly hefty. The role of a publisher probably to finance and negotiate that process.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

Western indies can't self-publish on the JP eShop for reasonable and mundane business reasons. (Sony's basically the same way, but I don't think MS gives a gently caress.)

EDIT: Rive and Affordable Space Adventures found a JP publisher, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 18, 2015

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
every sale of a foreign product requires a few middle people to jack up the prices in Japan

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo UK is now selling digital games on GMG: http://blog.playfire.com/2015/09/1-up-green-man-gaming-to-sell-nintendo.html

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So uh, has anyone tried the new Senran Kagura game? I'm interested to know your take on it, especially if you've played the first.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
The mechanics are really tightened up compared to the first requiring more mastery of the engine and the tag mechanic adds a lot to the battles. Then you have actual boss fights and cutscenes with some fun side modes. Plus there's even online or local coop if you want it. Overall, it's a much more fully realized and solid package even if the brawling mechanics aren't as tight as other action games.

I like this review a lot: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/i-played-senran-kagura-2-in-public-and-didnt-get-arrested
The guy is so frustrated in how much he's enjoying the game despite how objectionable he finds the fan service elements.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
he should have gotten arrested so theres one less person playing senran kagura

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.

Now I'm wondering why I can't delete Fantasy Life--which I have a digital copy of--while preserving the save data. It won't let me do a backup, and other sites and posts say things like "It's just one of those games, like Animal Crossing, that won't let you backup save data."

But the 3DS let me back up the save data as I deleted it. :confused:

When I go to delete Fantasy Life, it just says "You're going to lose the game AND the save data."

Is there any way around this? :(

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Yeah, you'll be fine. Apparently, Fantasy Life saves directly to the SD card in all cases. It puts the save data in the extra data file, so leave that alone. People really had some issues with it because the save is tied to your console and can't be moved around even in physical copies.

Source:
http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?188436-Fantasy-Life-General-Thread/page338

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Somewhat surprising. GMG can be incredibly lovely sometimes, like with the whole playfire thing, bad refunds policy, crappy discount/credit system (if you have any credit on the site for any reason, it won't let you use it on a game with a discount code) and recently there was the whole Witcher 3 thing.

I would have thought a company like Nintendo would shy away from someone with all that.

Edit:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/nintendo/#b

And with the same inflated digital prices who do they think is going to buy them?

Kin fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 19, 2015

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Does the 20-something percent off code on GMG work with Nintendo games? That might bring them down to slightly more reasonable prices.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
The GMG Nintendo link doesn't even load for me. It brings up a GMG page with a header and footer but no actual content in between. I guess it checks your IP's geolocation?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MisterAlex posted:

The GMG Nintendo link doesn't even load for me. It brings up a GMG page with a header and footer but no actual content in between. I guess it checks your IP's geolocation?
Nintendo gives region-specific codes to their resellers anyway.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Enallyniv posted:

Does the 20-something percent off code on GMG work with Nintendo games? That might bring them down to slightly more reasonable prices.

Nope and it doesn't tell you this until you try to use the code at the checkout.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
do you guys think jivjov uses a butterknife to put peanut butter on his crackers or just scoops it out the jar

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of September 24):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Skylanders SuperChargers - €49.99 / £44.99 (September 25)
    Disney Infinity 2.0: Play without limits - €19.99 / £16.49 (permanent price reduction)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Extreme Exorcism - €11.04 / £8.49 until October 23 for owners of the nindies@home demo, standard price €12.99 / £9.99
    Nova-111 - €10.99 / £8.99 until October 8, standard price €14.99 / £11.99
    The Rivers of Alice: Extended Version - €7.99 / £7.19
    Brave Tank Hero - €5.99 / £4.99
    The Quiet Collection - €4.49 / £2.99
    Rock 'N Racing Off Road DX - €2.99 / £2.73 for owners of Rock 'N Racing Off Road, standard price €7.99 / £7.19
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Bombing Bastards (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until September 24
    Another World 20th Anniversary (Wii U eShop) - €3.19 / £2.87 until September 24
    Family Tennis SP (Wii U eShop) - €3.70 / £2.99 from September 23-October 1
    Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop) - €3.19 / £2.69 until October 1
    TNT Racers: Nitro Machines Edition (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until October 1
    Trine: Enchanted Edition (Wii U eShop) - €6.49 / £5.49 until October 10
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until October 10
    Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones (Wii U eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 from September 24-October 8
    Thomas Was Alone (Wii U eShop) - €2.49 / £2.20 from September 24-October 8
    Lone Survivor: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £2.99 from September 24-October 8
    The Swapper (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £3.99 from September 24-October 8
    OlliOlli (Wii U eShop) - €4.49 / £3.99 from September 24-October 8
    Suspension Railroad Simulator (Wii U eShop) - €7.19 / £5.39 from September 24-October 8

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Brave Tank Hero - €4.99 / £4.49
    Gotcha Racing - €5.99 / £4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop) - €5.20 / £4.70 until September 24
    Witch & Hero (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.69 until September 24
    escapeVektor (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £2.99 until September 24
    Another World 20th Anniversary (3DS eShop) - €3.19 / £2.87 until 24
    Swords & Sldiers 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.19 / £4.19 until October 1
    Fractured Soul (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until October 8
    AeternoBlade (3DS eShop) - €7.99 / £7.19 until October 8
    Airace Speed (3DS eShop) - €2.39 / £2.10 until October 8
    Airace Xeno (3DS eShop) - €1.69 / £1.59 until October 8
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Tons of games across Wii U, 3DS and Wii! - list here, rewards page here. Ends September 30.

Where's 3D Sonic 2, Sega. Give me the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Kin posted:

Nope and it doesn't tell you this until you try to use the code at the checkout.

Hahaha haha this whole thing can just get hosed. That pricing is a joke. Why would you buy from GMG? It's exactly the same price as the eshop.