Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Meanwhile, in Michigan...

Remember Todd Courser and Cindy Gamrat, the two tea party douchebags who got expelled from the Michigan lege last week for carrying on an affair while in office and other salacious stuff? Well, I guess it ain't over yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I guess we (along with Walker's campaign manager) misread how unbridled that Koch support really was

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Smart read from Jon Bernstein on what the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast are up to here.

quote:

Remember, the aim of the radicals is to show they are the only True Conservatives. Since no real difference exists between them and most other Republicans in Congress on the issues, they use tactics to differentiate themselves. And one effective way to ensure that other conservatives don't just opt for those tactics too is to pursue the stupidest, most counterproductive strategy they can come up with.

And good comparison to the People's Front of Judea Crack Suicide Squad.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Trump successfully tapped into the white nationalist/right-wing populist vote first and I don't think anyone can take that away from him at this point.

The sort of attacks launched at him can broken down into:
- He's an entertainer and not a serious candidate .
- He's a sexist, bigoted bully.
- He's bad on foreign policy.
- He used bankruptcy law 4 times or something.

None of these attacks have stuck.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So both Vox and Slate are out with a a number of pieces calling this debate the beginning of the end for Trump, and the beginning of the rise of Carly Fiorina.

It'll be interesting to see how the polls shake out by the end of the week.

Haha what nonsense.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Joementum posted:

Smart read from Jon Bernstein on what the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast are up to here.

And good comparison to the People's Front of Judea Crack Suicide Squad.

Bernstein's argument assumes that the Freedom Caucus has a basic understanding of political realities and the way Congress works. Is there any other evidence to support this claim?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KaptainKrunk posted:

Trump successfully tapped into the white nationalist/right-wing populist vote first and I don't think anyone can take that away from him at this point.

The sort of attacks launched at him can broken down into:
- He's an entertainer and not a serious candidate .
- He's a sexist, bigoted bully.
- He's bad on foreign policy.
- He used bankruptcy law 4 times or something.

None of these attacks have stuck.

The successful attacks on Trump are to bait and switch him on policy. The Anti-Vax question almost worked but Carson didn't want to gently caress up his VP spot.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fried Chicken posted:

It certainly sounds like him, doesn't it?

it is George Wallace

:laugh:

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

The successful attacks on Trump are to bait and switch him on policy. The Anti-Vax question almost worked but Carson didn't want to gently caress up his VP spot.

It won't work because Trump worded it in a way that many agree with, even if they are nominally pro-vaccine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

foobardog posted:

I think it's more the beginning of the end for Bush. This is like bizarro 2012 where it's the establishment struggling to find a not-Trump.

History repeating as farce.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kinda unbelievable that the Koch Brothers picked Scott loving Walker out of everyone to be their standard bearer. Obviously they just want a sock puppet they control but your sock puppet has to be not be Scott Walker.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Kinda unbelievable that the Koch Brothers picked Scott loving Walker out of everyone to be their standard bearer. Obviously they just want a sock puppet they control but your sock puppet has to be not be Scott Walker.

Says a lot about Wisconsin.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

FAUXTON posted:

Says a lot about Wisconsin's Democrats .

Fixed that for you.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Fried Chicken posted:

it is George Wallace

Hah, I was going to say Ross Perot, but the amount of money looked pretty low.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

Transcript of phone call the school administrators placed to the police:

“If you have received this hologramographogram, it means that I, that all of us, that Rasenni itself, are in grave danger. Do you remember my opus magnum of which I often spoke, the Ahmed Clock? The device of temporal manipulation housed within a fastness, the fastness within a fortress, this fortress within a crater, the crater itself encased by an organic light energy forcefield, that I hoped would allow me to alter the timeline to prevent the Changing and the Ascension Wars that during which CAPITAL and Emperor Haagenbügen obtained its power? Dr. Malaprop has discovered the existence of this Clock, though he does not yet know its exact location.”

You should be in charge of the Zyborne Clock sequel

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mitt Romney posted:

According to Bush, he was looking for his wife in the audience. During the main photo op for the debate.

Not sure which is funnier, that it happened, that he got called out on it or that he actually came up with that lameass excuse. He's as bad at running for president as his brother was at being one.

Fried Chicken posted:

it is George Wallace

It's fairly obvious that he would be against spending money to subjugate minorities overseas when we can do it much cheaper right here at home.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Meanwhile, in Michigan...

Remember Todd Courser and Cindy Gamrat, the two tea party douchebags who got expelled from the Michigan lege last week for carrying on an affair while in office and other salacious stuff? Well, I guess it ain't over yet!

It's only tangental to that, but Chad Livengood's been really on top of poo poo in Lansing. Wasn't he the one who first published the story about Snyder's skunk works?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Internet Webguy posted:

Not sure which is funnier, that it happened, that he got called out on it or that he actually came up with that lameass excuse. He's as bad at running for president as his brother was at being one.

Bush senior was an unremarkable campaigner but an unremarkable president.

Dubya was a great campaigner but a terrible president.

Jeb! is a terrible campaigner... so he must be a great president after election, QED

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

As others have said, McCain had the media as his ally trough a lot of that, I don't think Walker has that in him.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Nation just ran a piece calling for Obama to go to Ahmed Muhammad's mosque, and I couldn't agree more. The troll potential is too great to be passed. Also, W is the only president to have gone to an American mosque so Obama's totes should.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rygar201 posted:

The Nation just ran a piece calling for Obama to go to Ahmed Muhammad's mosque, and I couldn't agree more. The troll potential is too great to be passed. Also, W is the only president to have gone to an American mosque so Obama's totes should.

That Freep thread would bring me so much joy.

Galactic North
Nov 21, 2009

Joementum posted:

Susan Collins got her 6000th consecutive vote in the Senate today. Chuck Grassley (who turned 82 today :toot:) leads the Senate with 7447 consecutive votes. Third place is Deb Fischer with 924.

How is Deb Fischer in third place? Isn't she a new Senator? Do most Senators really abstain so much that a first termer can make it to 3rd place?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Galactic North posted:

How is Deb Fischer in third place? Isn't she a new Senator? Do most Senators really abstain so much that a first termer can make it to 3rd place?

Most of them miss the occasional vote on renaming a post office so they can go home and campaign/fundraise/whatever. Senate operates by voice vote with your physical presence, so if you aren't on the floor, you don't vote.

(Also, there's been an increasing number of procedural votes in the past few years for some strange reason, allowing her to rack up in 2 years a sixth of what Collins took 18 years to total.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

this_is_hard posted:

It's even more hilarious to me because it really seems like JEB! is saying this crap about his brother out of pride and/or the desire to protect the family name.

If you're not willing to throw your family under the bus on the way to the White House, you're just not Presidential material.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo. I was in the break room and CNN was playing and they were summarizing the high/lowlights from the debate, and they played that clip of Jeb saying that Dubya "kept us safe" and actually COMMENDED him for saying a line that "played well with the audience", while not bothering to point out why said line was in reality, really loving stupid.

Your librul media, ladies and gentlemen.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Mr Interweb posted:

Holy poo poo. I was in the break room and CNN was playing and they were summarizing the high/lowlights from the debate, and they played that clip of Jeb saying that Dubya "kept us safe" and actually COMMENDED him for saying a line that "played well with the audience", while not bothering to point out why said line was in reality, really loving stupid.

They also just sort of forgot to mention that the Planned Parenthood video everybody was denouncing was a fake. But hey, RATINGS BITCHES!

Edit - I started to list some of the other lies that they did not call out, but I would be here for at least an hour if I made a comprehensive list.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
More evidence that CNN is actively worse than Fox News.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

I am glad that that line is gonna get some play, reminding people of the hell of the Bush Administration is a good thing.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

fade5 posted:

I am glad that that line is gonna get some play, reminding people of the hell of the Bush Administration is a good thing.

i hate to be a negative nelly but in another five or so years nobody will remember anything bad about the bush years

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Not sure where I was going with that. Nevermind.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
How did the Brit thread react to the Maggie on the :10bux: statement?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

DolphinCop posted:

i hate to be a negative nelly but in another five or so years nobody will remember anything bad about the bush years

Conservatives haven't ever remembered anything bad about the bush years. Time jumped from 2000 to 2008 for bad things, but for good things it jumped from 1992 to 2000 and then stopped in 2008 and nothing good has happened since.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you're not willing to throw your family under the bus on the way to the White House, you're just not Presidential material.

if your family happens to be the same one as GWB, yes agreed

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so what happens if/when the establishment triumvirate can't scrounge up enough delegates to secure nomination by convention time? the End Times begin?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 18, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

so what happens if/when the establishment triumvirate can't scrounge up enough delegates to secure nomination by convention time? the End Times begin?

Yeah maybe, but reminder that this is the current state of the Republican Primary:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

DolphinCop posted:

They will as long as Iraq remains a burning hellhole with a bunch of crazy assholes popping up in the news every month or so with new atrocities.

And trust me, Iraq is going to be a burning hellhole for years, if not decades. We broke that country hard when we invaded.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

People have more or less forgotten Vietnam, but will almost universally say it was a mistake. Which is encouraging really because people in power tried really really hard to persuade people that the United States was doing a good thing there and people decided all on their own that it wasn't.

Iraq will probably be even worse in the age of Youtube and easy information. It's like Reagan- he worked out well in the 80's, but would he have in the age of youtube, where his dementia would be obvious to all?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

People have more or less forgotten Vietnam, but will almost universally say it was a mistake. Which is encouraging really because people in power tried really really hard to persuade people that the United States was doing a good thing there and people decided all on their own that it wasn't.

Iraq will probably be even worse in the age of Youtube and easy information. It's like Reagan- he worked out well in the 80's, but would he have in the age of youtube, where his dementia would be obvious to all?

The dementia was pretty obvious to people at the time, eve through the carefully arranged media stuff.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't know if that's really true. At least not with Real America type voters, who bought into the revisionist dolchstoss stuff completely and believe it was the evil gook-loving veteran-hating liberals who lost the war. I think such a narrative but with Iraq has a pretty good chance of taking hold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

People have more or less forgotten Vietnam, but will almost universally say it was a mistake.

You mean that war that the politicians and liberals wouldn't let us win? That was the mistake :bahgawd:

Anyone else get the feeling that the push for Fiorina is just to try and get some more broads on board the GOP train?

• Locked thread