Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Every outside world in Vexx took place on a floating island and in every single one of them you can see a big stone tower on a giant floating island in the distance. That island was a cut level, and it never factors into anything in the final game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

heres a comic about a convenience store that opened up in the middle of an active warzone

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

heres a comic about a convenience store that opened up in the middle of an active warzone

What's it called because that concept owns.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

lol i just saw it too. the scanlator is called rapeman scans tho...

ibram:
Konbini DMZ

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dungeon Meshi makes me happy inside

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

Dungeon Meshi makes me happy inside

That's actually just parasites from eating improperly cooked monsters.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Your nondescript series would fair quite poorly in my estimation. It might run forever, but it wouldn't be a forever worth reading.

Probably should've picked a different word than "Maintain."

I'm told that it's the NIsekoi formula.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Davincie posted:

the scanlator is called rapeman scans tho...

lol

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

All I remember of Vexx is that it was super-edgy

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Every outside world in Vexx took place on a floating island and in every single one of them you can see a big stone tower on a giant floating island in the distance. That island was a cut level, and it never factors into anything in the final game.

lol that's great

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I rag on Bleach a lot, but everything up until they enter the Soul Society is actually really, really good. One Piece managed to stay fresher longer, but bit by bit some weaknesses crept in.

Although I tend to give One Piece more credit than Bleach, I've criticized Oda's ability to write fights a few times - though really, it's not exclusively his problem. The first few fights in One Piece are pretty spiffy though (with the exception of Zoro's), which makes me want to rediscover exactly when I felt they ran out of steam.

I also wanna judge One Piece against this rudimentary formula I've got worked out in my head, for lack of a better term, regarding how to maintain a long-running series.

I think post-time skip One Piece really needs to focus more on the larger world and particularly how the time skip changed it. It seems to be going that direction, but not quickly enough. I don't know if Dressrosa is the longest arc, but it certainly felt like it, and despite being chaotic as hell it didn't recapture that feeling of escalation that Water 7 to Enies Lobby did. There's still some room to have stories with the Straw Hats (Zoro and Tashigi being a particularly clear option), but for the most part they're all kind of done, either because their arcs have been largely resolved or they lack the attachments to really grow a story from.

Also Oda needs to take a step back on his art, I think. I appreciate how detailed he can be in big spreads or fights, but at this point they're really hard to parse.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm told that it's the NIsekoi formula.

Why is Nisekoi so popular

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

now to be a hypocrite after my post about forum posts and brain problems:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"do what makes you happy son, we'll support you"

"gently caress you dad i'll keep taking these classes i hate to get this major i don't care about"

it's me i'm the sadbrains

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I rag on Bleach a lot, but everything up until they enter the Soul Society is actually really, really good. One Piece managed to stay fresher longer, but bit by bit some weaknesses crept in.

Although I tend to give One Piece more credit than Bleach, I've criticized Oda's ability to write fights a few times - though really, it's not exclusively his problem. The first few fights in One Piece are pretty spiffy though (with the exception of Zoro's), which makes me want to rediscover exactly when I felt they ran out of steam.

I also wanna judge One Piece against this rudimentary formula I've got worked out in my head, for lack of a better term, regarding how to maintain a long-running series.
the fights in the CP9 arc loving own

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

lol i just saw it too. the scanlator is called rapeman scans tho...

ibram:
Konbini DMZ

it seems like the joke everytime is the customers leave the store and are immediately killed

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I like it well enough but I would trade it for more Double Arts in a heart beat

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

I dunno.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

I think post-time skip One Piece really needs to focus more on the larger world and particularly how the time skip changed it. It seems to be going that direction, but not quickly enough. I don't know if Dressrosa is the longest arc, but it certainly felt like it, and despite being chaotic as hell it didn't recapture that feeling of escalation that Water 7 to Enies Lobby did. There's still some room to have stories with the Straw Hats (Zoro and Tashigi being a particularly clear option), but for the most part they're all kind of done, either because their arcs have been largely resolved or they lack the attachments to really grow a story from.

Also Oda needs to take a step back on his art, I think. I appreciate how detailed he can be in big spreads or fights, but at this point they're really hard to parse.

i feel the opposite and that there are way too many characters and plot threads and it's bloated and it needs to focus more on the main characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

why was love hina popular

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Motto posted:

"gently caress you dad i'll keep taking these classes i hate to get this major i don't care about"

I'm sorry and I hope it works out

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

bad seafood is a founding member in the field of animeology

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Motto posted:

:hfive: except for the gently caress you dad part and the sadbrains

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

I would like to know this too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

I like it well enough but I would trade it for more Double Arts in a heart beat

I was interested by the premise because fake relationships that turn real are kind of my jam. But then I heard it's actually a harem series, so I just dropped it entirely without ever reading it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Erg posted:

lol that's great

My favorite part of Vexx is the trio of grotesque pirates who are the only three intelligent people you meet in the entire world outside of the plot, and the first time you meet them, they try to kill you, so you crush them to death. The second time, it's inside a giant fish, and they suddenly casually introduce themselves and wait for you to open a chest.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I would like to know this too.

it's because people like anime girls and choosing an anime girl to argue about

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

one thing I will say about Nisekoi is that it's extremely tame

it's always focused on comedy or romantic situations, there hasn't been awkward fanservice in a while (if ever)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

one thing I will say about Nisekoi is that it's extremely tame

it's always focused on comedy or romantic situations, there hasn't been awkward fanservice in a while (if ever)
there's a dude on pixiv who draws a lot of sexy art of the tomboy lady. that's my opinion on nisekoi.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Who's your favourite anime girl?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

:hfive: except for the gently caress you dad part and the sadbrains

I didn't actually tell my parents to gently caress off, i'm just self-depricating to the point that it frustrates them

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I was interested by the premise because fake relationships that turn real are kind of my jam. But then I heard it's actually a harem series, so I just dropped it entirely without ever reading it.

it's slowly becoming real but oh my god don't start reading it unless you want 50 chapter stretches at a time of nothing moving forward

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

there's a dude on pixiv who draws a lot of sexy art of the tomboy lady.

good

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

Why would you even choose an anime girl when it's clear who the best one is?

I don't get waifu wars and people with poo poo tastes.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

there's a dude on pixiv who draws a lot of sexy art of the tomboy lady. that's my opinion on nisekoi.

understandable because tomboy lady has the biggest baps of the main cast

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Motto posted:

I didn't actually tell my parents to gently caress off, i'm just self-depricating to the point that it frustrates them

Don't do that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Cute tomboys are the anime bread and butter of my life.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bad Seafood posted:

tbh, i really dug bleach as a sort of late 90s/early 2000s alternative rock shonen show. it had style

then it became really rote and boring

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The little scan group thing at the end of every chapter in konobi dmz are insanely fail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

littleorv posted:

Don't do that

Yeah if they're trying to be supportive, you should let them

as someone who's had huge confidence problems before you need to learn to accept compliments and encouragement and stop thinking people are just blowing smoke up your rear end

• Locked thread