Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lemming posted:

It's the best for covering turf so it's a reasonable trade-off.

Half of the guns are only a little worse at painting but are much better at fighting though, so the Aerospray is junk.

Well not really, pretty much every gun in this game is good if you know how to use it. But one shouldn't just assume that the Aerospray is the only weapon worth taking in Turf War. And it's not great in the ranked modes.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Do you like drawing a line in the ink and going "this is mine"?

Why, yes I do! That's 80% of the fun of playing a charger.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

[Like a child throwing a tantrum] WHERES MY NEW BUCKET

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

mabels big day posted:

I don't use buckets, but I agree that it's kind of dumb for them to introduce two new types of weapon at the same time and then only release one weapon for one of them after that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Patience, developing new bucket technology takes time.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can't even think of anything clever to say at the moment I'm just loving pumped. The woop I let out when we knocked out that last match shook the house. :woop:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Patience, developing new bucket technology takes time.

[Cut to Inkling scientists in lab coats and goggles, pouring ink into a bucket.... pouring it out. One writes "MORE SLOSH??" on the whiteboard]

I just had the time of my squidlife goofing around with a bunch of people who just wanted to flop around in squid form. Oh, the first few matches I wondered why half of both teams were just crowded around a bunch of beakons in one corner, and I cruelly Inkstriked them several times... But then I noticed one following me around as I inked, and I gave in and squidded over to see what was going on.

The next five matches were spent in a glorious display of squid brotherhood, three minutes at a time of squids from both teams jumping in and out of ink, painting the walls, Booyah-ing and shouting "C'mon!" at anyone who insisted on actually playing the game. A few joined in, some had to be kept back with weapons-- violence protecting peace. But when the last ten seconds ticked down on Bluefin Depot, we knew what to do. The last five seconds per match were spent lining up solemnly at the edge of the platform, waiting patiently only to hurl ourselves into the water just as time ran out.

Life, death. Splatoon.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

oopsie rock posted:

All specials do this, FYI

Yeah, but the immediate refill isn't really relevant for most of the supers.
Kraken and Inkzooka replace your main gun while active and use no ammo.
Inkstrike and Killer Wail need time to set up and fire.
Bomb Rush... Well, you don't HAVE to spam grenades during the time, but then you've basically got no super.
Bubbler and Echo are the only supers that can really take advantage of that immediate refill.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

gameface posted:

Yeah, but the immediate refill isn't really relevant for most of the supers.
Kraken and Inkzooka replace your main gun while active and use no ammo.
Inkstrike and Killer Wail need time to set up and fire.
Bomb Rush... Well, you don't HAVE to spam grenades during the time, but then you've basically got no super.
Bubbler and Echo are the only supers that can really take advantage of that immediate refill.
The times I use an Echo I almost never worry about the ink refill I want to make sure I get all 4 enemies marked as that tends to really swing the match for my team. Why more people don't use cold-blooded is honestly beyond me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

raditts posted:

It is fun, except for those rounds where your shithead teammates are off pretending it's loving Turf War while the enemy team picks up the ball and walks it right into your goal.

Eh, you run into that problem in any ranked mode, though. In Rainmaker, I have fun even if I lose, usually. I can't say that about the other ranked modes.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

BattleMaster posted:

Thanks to my squigoon bros who helped me get to S rank :3:

Any time, squista. For real though anybody else who is brave enough to climb the mountain to S feel free to come squad up with us in IRC.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The feeling you get when you blow past enemy lines and slam the rainmaker down on the totem is what makes that the best mode imo

There have been tons of times where my team is dicking around fighting dudes right near the enemy's totem, so I just grab the rainmaker and make a beeline for the finish :feelsgood:

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
Found this Miiverse post in my Splatoon plaza after I voted FOR SCIENCE:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkcjwLUSA

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

"Judd seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent to the concerns of such squid kids as we are."
-Tentacarl Sagan #TeamScience

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The feeling you get when you blow past enemy lines and slam the rainmaker down on the totem is what makes that the best mode imo

There have been tons of times where my team is dicking around fighting dudes right near the enemy's totem, so I just grab the rainmaker and make a beeline for the finish :feelsgood:

I had the best Rainmaker match a couple of days ago, I had taken it pretty far into enemy territory on the initial push, but then the enemy team brought it closer to us and we were locked in a bit of a stalemate until the last few seconds where I picked it up to get us into overtime, and fortunately one of my teammates with roller had the presence of mind to clear a path in front of me, so it was him rolling in the front, followed by me swimming for dear life in his trail while the enemy team's shots were landing right behind me as I carried it far enough to get us the win.

Somebody on that other team had to be furious at that one, I know I would've been.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

"Judd seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent to the concerns of such squid kids as we are."
-Tentacarl Sagan #TeamScience

"Scientific theories are judged by the coherence they lend to our natural experience and the simplicity with which they do so. The grand principle of the heavens balances on the razor's edge of truth."
Commissioner Pravin Lal, "A History of Science"

I miss that game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Re: NA Splatfest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JqB6e5QwU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
So is there like a rule that Callie has to have the wrong choice every time or whats the deal here

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

oopsie rock posted:

Found this Miiverse post in my Splatoon plaza after I voted FOR SCIENCE:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkcjwLUSA

Beyonce playing splatoon

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

So is there like a rule that Callie has to have the wrong choice every time or whats the deal here

the only one with the wrong opinion is you

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Other than the fluke where she backed Auobots, yeah.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Other than the fluke where she backed Auobots, yeah.

Not sure what you're talking about there, Decepticons was the right answer.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I haven't played this game since june, how is it holding up? is there new paid DLC? is the community turn into brony 2.0?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cyron posted:

I haven't played this game since june, how is it holding up? is there new paid DLC? is the community turn into brony 2.0?

There has been a large amount of free content added, there's more scheduled, there's nothing extra to pay for even if you wanted to, and the game is still fresh as hell

Get on IRC and play squid squads with us while on voice chat

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Ok how do I join IRC, the OP didn't give out as mush info as I hoped.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cyron posted:

Ok how do I join IRC, the OP didn't give out as mush info as I hoped.

I'm late to respond but you totally joined the channel and left :O

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Finally got to rank B- after blowing it a bunch, I accidentally squidded in rainmaker bluefin depot 6 meters from the dunk over a grate, but I made up for it by splatting the opposition with the rainmaker in overtime, so I redeemed myself and the other team got experience, it's a win-win! :3:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New map tomorrow! (bridge): https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/644436496938766336

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

That's a lot of iron grates.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Looks like a great map for ranged weapons. Could be really different, especially if there are a lot of ways to switch between the top and bottom layers. Lots of interesting places to place sprinklers. I hope the tower control route weaves around/under the grates.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Squids shouldn't play on an active construction site, especially over water :ohdear:.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lots of cover for people to hide behind too, good map for blasters. I'm murderous with a luna blaster (S ranked with it) but practicing with a distance blaster in turf war, I'm pretty bad.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

I can't even think of anything clever to say at the moment I'm just loving pumped. The woop I let out when we knocked out that last match shook the house. :woop:

Booyah

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rexroom posted:

That's a lot of iron grates.

Gotta say as a brush user I'm not liking the look of that. Camp Triggerfish was bad enough.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The level is wayyyy too big for splatzones - and holy crap, the lag on it is completely intolerable

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The level is wayyyy too big for splatzones - and holy crap, the lag on it is completely intolerable

I'm having worse lag then normal even on Walleye so it could just be the server.

All the walls and grates make Hammerhead fun. Lots of places to duck from Chargers, attack through grates, climb ledges... if you like being stealthy, this map is great.

Seems like a pain for chargers though.

night slime
May 14, 2014

pichupal posted:

I'm having worse lag then normal even on Walleye so it could just be the server.

All the walls and grates make Hammerhead fun. Lots of places to duck from Chargers, attack through grates, climb ledges... if you like being stealthy, this map is great.

Seems like a pain for chargers though.

On my first play, a charger guy was standing on the middle of the netting and could seemingly take anyone out for like half a match.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The new map is awesome, although pretty hard to navigate. It took me a couple matches to figure out how to get into the other team's area.

It also would've been nice if 5 of my 8 matches weren't on loving Arowana Mall :argh:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The new map is awesome, although pretty hard to navigate. It took me a couple matches to figure out how to get into the other team's area.

It also would've been nice if 5 of my 8 matches weren't on loving Arowana Mall :argh:

And this is why you should actually use the Recon feature before jumping into a new map. Walk around, swim around, ink around. Actually find out where you're gonna get sniped by an E-Liter from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Saw someone today who had three big attack ups and three small attack ups. Two burst bombs anywhere near you would kill you.

• Locked thread