Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Anyways, back to Utena. I've been liking the 2nd arc more than the first one. Something about the focus switching to these periphery characters appeals to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

okay I've talked too much about men's haircuts

good night chat thread

Good night, Erg.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mononoke Soushi is my favorite work by him though, a bunch of short stories about a travelling entertainer girl that gets tangled up in the supernatural over time.

The story eventually goes into a dramatic tonal shift when it moves ahead to her living in the ruins of postwar japan, and all the monster and ghosties created by the misery the bombing raids brought.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

It's true.

Yukio is also the worst character, and goes with nobody.

I'd put him with Shura if there wasn't that age gap. Christ he doesn't look 15.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Erg posted:

okay I've talked too much about men's haircuts

good night chat thread

That's not possible :)

Goodnight Erg

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Whale God sez: Keep your hands to yourself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Allarion posted:

Anyways, back to Utena. I've been liking the 2nd arc more than the first one. Something about the focus switching to these periphery characters appeals to me.
the super-side characters in utena are all pretty neat and it's fun to see them get some focus. i like that it really sticks to the idea that everyone is hosed up.

the one kid who isn't hosed up is pretty much mocked for being boring, lol.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i also love that instead of screentone he has a really rough brush effect mostly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

2 new keyman????

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

wow 1200 posts since noon

valkyria chronicle still fun.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I shouldn't have watched the 2011 HunterxHunter series without prior knowledge of the author, and his health problems resulting in long hiatuses between chapters. I [i]really[/]i] enjoyed the show despite being bummed that Kurapika and Leorio kind of had just cameo roles after the Hunter Exam Arc. Things also got kind of weak around the climax of the Chimera Ant arc when the main storytelling device was the narrator explaining what happened in the last five minutes - that stuff made me incredibly frustrated. I couldn't garner much sympathy for the King either, so that ending fell kind of flat, I got more of an emotional response from the two ants finding their home in the episode after that. How are the two movies and are they legally available to stream or purchase in the US?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

also volume 10 is supposed to be the last one, alas, but now that the truth is there it seemed like it would be ending anyways

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

t rex dad is gonna beat up butler satan.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

:yeah:

I like how in the manga Bon eventually gets his own special fire powers too. Haven't read it in ages though.

I need to figure out where I left off and start reading it again.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Area 88 OVA has a good soundtrack, I should watch it sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTRfp9eteic

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh, so this is the episode where Ikuhara has hands pointing at all the symbolism I've heard so much about. Yeah, still not fully getting it, but funny nonetheless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Allarion posted:

Oh, so this is the episode where Ikuhara has hands pointing at all the symbolism I've heard so much about. Yeah, still not fully getting it, but funny nonetheless.
there's nothing to get. it's just a gag. even if you want to super analyze it, the only thing you can really get is 'people don't see what's right in front of them unless it's pointed out to them' or something.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

that was The Time Milk Wound The Spring, which is a very short comic

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

diebuster is on crunchyroll now

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh drat it's only 480p though, RIP

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yikes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

oh drat it's only 480p though, RIP

480p of legally available Diebuster is more p of legally available Diebuster than we had before.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

huh, this week's Asian simul movie is free on prime video

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Endorph posted:

i buy merch of stuff i like but i'd never try to get *every* piece of merch for a thing i like

like i have a saber figurine because i like fate. im not gonna get every single saber figurine ever made.

You should tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

You should tho

the bottom right two are creepy looking

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

300 dollar anime dolls are creepy as gently caress

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Allarion posted:

I'd argue it started happening earlier before that when the crew got seperated and the meta-narrative started becoming more important. Like the writing was still good, but the spirit of adventure became less prevalent when it switched gears to saving Ace. Not that Oda hasn't tried to make each new location after the reunion interesting, since for all intents and purposes, that was the whole point of Fishmen Island but it somewhat falls flat since each of the New World locations so far feels the need to have some sort of narrative importance, whereas Skypeia is cool island in the sky adventure and doesn't need any justification for itself.
Even back when I was reading One Piece back in the day I didn't get as far as the crew splitting up. The Strawhats have a lot of good chemistry together though, so I can easily conceive of that being a huge misstep, but you'll have to wait for me to reach that point to say anything more.

Really, one of the reasons I'm doing this (rereading One Piece and talking about it) is because I'm a different person now than back when last I tried to get into it. Enough time has passed and my tastes have changed enough that I'm wondering whether or not things I initially gave the series flak for were undeserved.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chumbler posted:

480p of legally available Diebuster is more p of legally available Diebuster than we had before.

Diebuster has a DVD release that I'd assume is better than 480p streaming?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Main character.

Female lead.

Female love interests who are not the lead.

Almost confess.

Sudden swerve.

Almost affirm love.

Status quo.

Almost reject a non-lead member.

Status quo.

What, did something happen?

Yes, and that something was the status quo.

Goddamn, did you read that manga bout a guy who sees the future where he's married to the hottest girl in school too?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

300 dollar anime dolls are creepy as gently caress

danny choo making the jump from regular girl figurines to a gigantic doll collection is very funny, to me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

You should tho

that picture showing the evolution of mankind, but with saber figures instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

i feel the opposite and that there are way too many characters and plot threads and it's bloated and it needs to focus more on the main characters

yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Even back when I was reading One Piece back in the day I didn't get as far as the crew splitting up. The Strawhats have a lot of good chemistry together though, so I can easily conceive of that being a huge misstep, but you'll have to wait for me to reach that point to say anything more.

Really, one of the reasons I'm doing this (rereading One Piece and talking about it) is because I'm a different person now than back when last I tried to get into it. Enough time has passed and my tastes have changed enough that I'm wondering whether or not things I initially gave the series flak for were undeserved.
on the one hand, the crew splitting up is kind of bad, on the other hand the impel down and whitebeard war arcs make amazing use of older characters from past arcs.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

or it might be just the one doll, but still

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2f7kbI1lC8

This show looks insanely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Otaku King, Danny Choo.