Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Endless Mike posted:

people on twitter are legit anti-adblock. i didn't realize this was an actual thing

i remember when it was first a thing on firefox and you had people get all in a huff that we're killing the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its really annoying. but also funny, too

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

people on twitter are legit anti-adblock. i didn't realize this was an actual thing

imagine living in sf

everybody has a half-baked business plan that has "??????? ads? maybe??" as a monetization strategy

threats to ads are a threat to the entire startup ecosystem

and sf is overrepresented on twitter

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
ugh blocking popups will kill the internet!!!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

zen death robot posted:

yeah it actually is

yeah i mean more.

instead things are getting privatized and budgets cut

and this is in a time when you can't sell newspapers or magazines any more, which intrinsically had "DRM", being physical. point being the reliance on advertising to monetize is growing. combined with the issues of data mining and native advertising, it's a minefield to just read the news without getting infected with a tracking cookie or read or watch content that was secretly bought and paid for.

so what do we do when society absolutely needs something but it can't be reliably produced by the market using the profit incentive? more public funding. but we're doing the opposite.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i recommend not following the news. just wait for people to pound on your door if they need soldiers

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah i mean more.

instead things are getting privatized and budgets cut

and this is in a time when you can't sell newspapers or magazines any more, which intrinsically had "DRM", being physical. point being the reliance on advertising to monetize is growing. combined with the issues of data mining and native advertising, it's a minefield to just read the news without getting infected with a tracking cookie or read or watch content that was secretly bought and paid for.

so what do we do when society absolutely needs something but it can't be reliably produced by the market using the profit incentive? more public funding. but we're doing the opposite.

new media sites killed old media by giving away the content of real journalists for free, now its time for they're just deserts

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

prediction: big ad companies will form some sort of standard for non-poo poo ads that sites can promote so they look non-lovely but it will also be a massive data sharing exercise and will include mandatory email, text and phone # access

prediction: Google CDN will host your site, serve inline ads that are impossible to filter, track all users

pram
Jun 10, 2001
new media is pretty efficient at squeezing labor out of 'journalists' in return for basically nothing

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

prediction: Google CDN will host your site, serve inline ads that are impossible to filter, track all users

cloudflare already does this, sans the ad part

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Management posted:

accurate except facebook will too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

new media is pretty efficient at squeezing labor out of 'journalists' in return for basically nothing

the good news is that we're probably only a couple years from most online content being generated by software

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XEh7arNSms

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

qirex posted:

the good news is that we're probably only a couple years from most online content being generated by software

and we're -5 years from most news being written by corporate marketing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Triglav posted:

and we're -5 years from most news being written by corporate marketing

try -120 years

like at least the iraq war was started because of a government official

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

yeah but now press releases arent even remixed theyre just posted verbatim. then daring gruber pulls a quote from that and adds a sentence. then people tweet and write medium thinkpieces about the sentence daring gruber added. then buzzfeed posts an article of tweeted responses with no added comment

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Historians would kill for first person accounts of events and now we can get those near real time easier than ever before and you're bitching?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

twitter's archived by the library of congress, but that's not good enough, we need everything else to be twitter too

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i buy tons of ads and i use all the ad blocking software i can get my hands on

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Triglav posted:

ugh blocking popups will kill the internet!!!
i loving hope so

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

I'm the eurotrash rave music courtesy of danny boyle

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

Soldier of Fortran posted:

it works fine on my iPhone 5. the iPad mini guy is probably experiencing the joys of spotlight reindexing a well used device. also the iPhone 5 has a faster cpu/gpu

Puppy Galaxy posted:

it was hosed up on my 5 right after I updated but it's good now. although since you can't ad block on the 5 there isn't really a compelling reason to upgrade imo

DaNzA posted:

it's fine, the phone is doing some background stuff straight after the update but just go about your day and come back later and the it will be just as fast if not faster with better battery life

well hot drat

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

somebody benchmark all the ad blockers so we can see wahts the fastest, uses the least memory, etc

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cremnob posted:

somebody benchmark all the ad blockers so we can see wahts the fastest, uses the least memory, etc

where is a tech journalist when you need one? oh yeah, they all work for clicks so they can't do this

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

cremnob posted:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cremnob posted:

from purify guy

i use ghostery (the list peace is based on) on mac safari and i like how many garbage trackers it kills but yeah it breaks some sites

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

leave it to hollywood to blow the rights to the most amazing story in the last 50 years in making a propaganda piece full of lies and gossip

pram
Jun 10, 2001
moar steve jobes movies

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
waiting for the ballmer movie to hit theaters

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

leave it to hollywood to blow the rights to the most amazing story in the last 50 years in making a propaganda piece full of lies and gossip

greatest fuckin story my rear end. a] he was a piece of suit and b] did I ever tell u about the first time I trie to finger my gf? that's a better tale than Steve jobs corporate dick sucking

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

waiting for the ballmer movie to hit theaters

staring jack black and David spade as gates

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i was on backstage w/stebe at macworld 2002, we demoed a video game, i think it was giants citizen kabuto for mac, maybe something else.. i was going to be the one on stage to demo it, but my intern was way more photogenic so he got to do it at the last minute. i think we made eye contact but certainly weren't within 20 feet of each other.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
we got in trouble because we were selling games at our booth and my dumb ceo added a 1% charge for amex credit cards to cover the fee, and like it was literally printed on our little sign and the VP or somebody of amex was in the audience at the keynote and happened by our booth and then got us in trouble with amex.

also i caused a brief work stoppage during set up because i was carrying a huge bag of tools and like 40 different cables

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
it was back when stebe was a real man

srsly look at this:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
why is it ghostery's fault that some sites are so abusive and horribly written they cannot function without tracking users?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
because they exposed how lovely it is

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

zen death robot posted:

shut the gently caress up cremnob

gently caress you creamnob owns

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if the website is broken with ghostery just stop using it. or use an incognito window

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
is that what the web looks like without ads?

• Locked thread