Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

seiferguy posted:

Why don't you have SMN gear as well? Even you main SCH, it's not hard to have all law gear for SMN/ACN that you can gift down to your retainer.
I play SMN and BLM sometimes too, so I need them to have a bit of gear, but don't play this game enough to get Alex or Eso gear for more than one job, mostly. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Is there a Linkshell for Hunt targets on Midgardsormr?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Seravadon posted:

Is there a Linkshell for Hunt targets on Midgardsormr?

just get guildwork

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't logged in for like 3 weeks. Are there still goons in dgkk actively farming Alex normal every week, or will I be pugging to finish off my set?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I am having conflicting issues. On one end I wanna do all the new content from 50+ but I am tired of dealing with BLM having to move every time I cast a spell, and not really up for SCH/SMN (my other 50s) because I wanted a break from being a caster in general. With that said I picked up DRK and while it's fun so far (am at 36 now) I am really tired of doing the same old stupid instances/content to level. So my dilemma is play a class I dont want to enjoy content I do, or play a class I enjoy while dealing with content I don't.

So I just haven't been logging in. gently caress.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Obscurity posted:

I am having conflicting issues. On one end I wanna do all the new content from 50+ but I am tired of dealing with BLM having to move every time I cast a spell, and not really up for SCH/SMN (my other 50s) because I wanted a break from being a caster in general. With that said I picked up DRK and while it's fun so far (am at 36 now) I am really tired of doing the same old stupid instances/content to level. So my dilemma is play a class I dont want to enjoy content I do, or play a class I enjoy while dealing with content I don't.

With the armory bonus the new jobs level to 50 hella fast, especially for DRK because of tank queues. It's up to you, but it shouldn't take too long to power through the old stuff.

As a bonus, the 30-50 DRK story is pretty great.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Obscurity posted:

If you don't want to play a game and don't enjoy it, it is okay to unsubscribe and then resub when there is content you want to do or you are less burnt out on old content. :shobon: Your posts in the thread have seemed pretty upset and you should play games that don't upset you.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If you don't want to play a game and don't enjoy it, it is okay to unsubscribe and then resub when there is content you want to do or you are less burnt out on old content. :shobon: Your posts in the thread have seemed pretty upset and you should play games that don't upset you.

If he can't make it past leveling I don't think hes going to get very far regardless what content drops.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

hahahahaha

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Well, my post is somewhat misunderstood. The content 50+ is great, and I want to experience it! I just don't want to play my caster classes to do it. So I started leveling DRK, but I'm quickly reminded that I've done the same leveling content on two different jobs and now for job #3 it's like "oh this again". I think I may just need to do more than LLDR and go do some FATEs and Leves. Repeating the same low level dungeons gets annoying.

And yeah you're right I should just rough it out I am leveling fast in the small time I login.

Part of me is mad because I'm frustrated NOW but I wanted to level MCH next hahaha. At least it starts at 30. Meh, maybe once I get DRK up I'll have had a good enough break from casting that I can go back to BLM and ACN.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Gobwalker achieved.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chyea posted:

Gobwalker achieved.

Nice!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I just started playing and would like to join one of the guilds on Cactuar. Is there anything special I need to do to confirm who I am?

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

I just started playing and would like to join one of the guilds on Cactuar. Is there anything special I need to do to confirm who I am?

Please present proper proof and goon credentials. The more empty Cheetos bags saved, the better.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Touchfuzzy posted:

Please present proper proof and goon credentials. The more empty Cheetos bags saved, the better.

I knew I should have bought a goatse mug when I had the chance. I'm assuming that I need five points worth of goon cred and three forms of identification; just like when I renew my driver's license?

(My character is B'hala Fhuz, by the way)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

I knew I should have bought a goatse mug when I had the chance.

Those mugs were actually nice.

Making every one of my roommates distinctly uncomfortable was a hilarious fringe benefit.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Obscurity posted:

Well, my post is somewhat misunderstood. The content 50+ is great, and I want to experience it! I just don't want to play my caster classes to do it. So I started leveling DRK, but I'm quickly reminded that I've done the same leveling content on two different jobs and now for job #3 it's like "oh this again". I think I may just need to do more than LLDR and go do some FATEs and Leves. Repeating the same low level dungeons gets annoying.

And yeah you're right I should just rough it out I am leveling fast in the small time I login.

Part of me is mad because I'm frustrated NOW but I wanted to level MCH next hahaha. At least it starts at 30. Meh, maybe once I get DRK up I'll have had a good enough break from casting that I can go back to BLM and ACN.

I mean if you don't just want to take a break, it's not super hard to power through to 50 anymore, you can slowboat it with roulettes which provide some variety or just keep doing the highest level dungeon available. Like you can do most of 30-50 on a not-so-lazy afternoon/evening as a tank just doing highest level available dungeons.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Which FC's are open still, I have been trying to add a point of contact for TPT , to apply, but so far the first 5 or 6 player names I tried say they do not exist.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
You can use the search function to find anyone in the FC and use them to apply. There's usually at least a few spots in all three FCs. If you need help finding someone message Agraya Glaston and I'll find a TPT/DGKK member for you, or you can use me to apply to PBC. I am almost never logged out.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Found someone online to submit my app, thanks

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I find scholar books to be really small and insignificant. Other classes get cool weapons like this black mage I saw in neverreap with a super cute ladybug staff. The wings even open up when its in attack stance. Like what the heck? All I get is some dumb book that looks like every other book I've had since I was an arcanist at level one.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Velveteen posted:

I find scholar books to be really small and insignificant. Other classes get cool weapons like this black mage I saw in neverreap with a super cute ladybug staff. The wings even open up when its in attack stance. Like what the heck? All I get is some dumb book that looks like every other book I've had since I was an arcanist at level one.

otoh your esoterics book is liquid cooled, which is a thing.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Do you know why drop % worked years ago? Because they werent RNG dependant, they were random drops. Random back then actually followed a set average, so you would approach the average (and actual drop chance) if you killed said mob often enough.

What we have these days is a horrid system because average no longer applies to it. You could kill a mob a thousand times and nver approach the average on its common drops. That is why people complain about RNG.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Oh man I have to see that thread

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I really really really want to play poker against that poster

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Technogeek posted:

Do you know why drop % worked years ago? Because they werent RNG dependant, they were random drops. Random back then actually followed a set average, so you would approach the average (and actual drop chance) if you killed said mob often enough.

What we have these days is a horrid system because average no longer applies to it. You could kill a mob a thousand times and nver approach the average on its common drops. That is why people complain about RNG.

Wowzers.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Technogeek posted:

Because they werent RNG dependant, they were random drops.
Ahh, I see.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Technogeek posted:

I almost thought this was serious for a second.

Then I saw who was posting.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

Velveteen posted:

Yeah, SCH doesn't have many particularly cool options. Last Resort Zeta is by far the best one imo. The Allagan and High Allagan Codexes are ok too.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
RNG is a very specific form of random. ''Old random'' was just assigning a possible yield from a preset list, and then refreshing that list after all values had been exhausting. As a result average would essentially always be met.
''RNG'' randomly generates a number inside a [range] of values. Average? Well if a drop chance is ''50%'' that probably means half the values in the [range] are equal to a yield, and the other half arent.
Just in case it doesnt get ''too ridiculous'' there's always a safeguard such as ''cant get this many-out-of-that-many yields/no yields''.
As we can all see from playing the game the safeguard(s) dont guard against extremes very well at all.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RNG just means random number generator, I don't understand how so much more can be attached to it?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Martman posted:

RNG just means random number generator, I don't understand how so much more can be attached to it?

Computers are more predictable than random, especially using an old computer and tricks to make it MORE random.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

People always pull out the whole 'computers can't generate random numbers!!!' thing but outside of a cryptographic context you don't actually care about the difference.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's all there is for an MMO player to know about RNG:

1) RNG just means Random Number Generator.
2) People use RNG to include algorithms that already use RNG. People also just complain about RNG in the general sense to complain about randomness.
3) RNGs are never truly "random". This is usually completely irrelevant in a game if the RNG is well-implemented.
4) It's possible to implement an otherwise good random number generator poorly.
5) In fact, there are good RNG algorithms and bad RNG algorithms. It's a super complex topic that is researched to this day.
6) RNGs can also be tested through many batteries of tests developed over the years to check if they're high-quality or if they produce any numeric aberration.
7) There's a good history of devs using bad random number generators in games. I remember reading about a game using an RNG that produced long sequences of 0s, can't remember the name of the algorithm.
8) There's a good history of devs creating bad random number generators for games. Especially stuff that is based on the local clock.
9) There's a good history of MMOs and online games not using "pure RNG" and instead making algorithms that force things to tend to average or manipulate entropy. WoW and Path of Exile admittedly use these. As with everything else human-made, these can also be poorly implemented.
10) These issues can show clear patterns or trends and with enough samples people can detect flaws in the system that cannot be statistically attributed to "just RNG", because at some point the margin of error is so low they'd indicate the RNG algorithm is bad if it's producing such aberrations in the first place. We had this case in HW with the change in Good Procs.
11) Your problem is still very likely to be just bad luck or selection bias.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

It's fun to go RNG :argh: but honestly any percentage that this game gives me that I then go out and do a bunch of times tends to get closer and closer to the stated percentage. There's nothing clearly wrong with the RNG in this game and it seems like they use a good prng. It also helps that dicerolls in battle are pretty frequent and the range of variation is about 5% so there's not a whole lot of deviation. They're probably using some combination of atmoshpheric noise along with metadata from the massive influx of data or some poo poo to keep a nice entropy pool going.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I feel like people really don't quite get what is meant by pseudo-rng and just assume it's a crap rng

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Chyea posted:

Gobwalker achieved.

Does it have jokey-fake versions of Alex 2 skills? :3:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Intoluene posted:

I feel like people really don't quite get what is meant by pseudo-rng and just assume it's a crap rng

And these people need to learn that it's pretty simple, there's no such thing as a true RNG, especially nothing that generates random numbers at a bitrate that can sustain an online game, all "rng" is prng. The psuedo- is not a commentary on quality, it's just a descriptor of what it is. All RNGs that are bad and exploitable are a kind of prng, but not all prngs are bad and exploitable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The only "proper" RNG is radioactive decay RNG, but that's *really* stupid to use over a game I'd say. Plus, it probably isn't cheap either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Not to mention that for an MMO it can be some pretty low-grade random numbers and as long as players have no way to predict or control the output individually it doesn't matter.

Using normalization (point #9 above) also kind of helps poo poo not matter as much, and it's kind of obvious XIV doesn't but they usually make games feel a lot more fun if implemented correctly and with a mind to exploits. Like every time you miss or fail to crit anything, your chance of succeeding increases until you do. Or like how in official Tetris games, the piece order is determined by taking all of the tetronimos, shuffling them, then repeating as long as necessary rather than just picking a random tetronimo each turn.

• Locked thread