Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

I haven't seen any of those awful info-ads that are on the avclub, thank christ.

:monocle: iOS won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

priznat posted:

Ooh that was a pretty fast limited time sale.

It seems to work good for me, I haven't seen any of those awful info-ads that are on the avclub, thank christ.

All I know is Nilay is flipping out.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/17/9338963/welcome-to-hell-apple-vs-google-vs-facebook-and-the-slow-death-of-the-web

The funny thing is, I *know* a lot of sites rely on ad revenue in order to serve content and pay the bills. I'm not unsympathetic to that. But I'd be more willing to whitelist sites, and the Verge in particular, if they didn't pull this poo poo on mobile browsers:

LEFT: Top of the front page at Verge with Crystal enabled.
RIGHT: Top of the front page at Verge with no content blocker.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
1Blocker is free if you can settle for just blocking ads or social media buttons or whatever (you get one for free). If you want to block everything it costs $3.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
When I can block poo poo like this:

gently caress em

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Death to all ads, imo.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

maduin posted:

Does it play podcasts though?

Does it block contents?

The logo isn't even orange.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Death to bad ads.

Good ads are unfortunate, but acceptable casualties.

I've never run an ad blocker on my desktop, but ads on desktop to the scourge of what ads and scripts and trackers are doing to mobile is like scaling up from a benign mole that you ask your dermatologist to look at to end-stage pancreatic cancer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

Year long membership to some new password manager called Dashlane is free from AppSumo right now: https://www.appsumo.com/dashlane-deal/buy/

I haven't really heard anything about it before, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you the weather.
A friend told me he uses Dashlane.

He didn't understand why I started laughing like a maniac.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

badjohny posted:

Crystal is .99c now.

Think I am going to wait a few days and let some reviews of the blockers come out. Seems to be a lot of them flooding the store now.
What the gently caress when did I miss out on free Crystal?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Josh Lyman posted:

What the gently caress when did I miss out on free Crystal?

First 24 hours or so after iOS 9 has been released.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Josh Lyman posted:

A friend told me he uses Dashlane.

He didn't understand why I started laughing like a maniac.

I use it. :shepface:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
nilay patel can suck a dick

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Using Crystal myself since it was free but I only browse the net occasionally on my phone so can't really remember if I see a big difference or not yet. Gonna wait and see what the de-facto podcast app weather widget password manager content blocker is before putting money down.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bronin posted:

First 24 hours or so after iOS 9 has been released.
Motherfuck, this is what I get for waiting for kinks to get ironed out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So are any of these adblockers ever going to work with Chrome on iOS?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

So are any of these adblockers ever going to work with Chrome on iOS?

Very much doubt it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Josh Lyman posted:

Motherfuck, this is what I get for waiting for kinks to get ironed out.
That's why if something is free you might want in future, download it anyway then delete it. It'll stay activated on your Apple ID so you can re-download it at any time.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Question Mark Mound posted:

That's why if something is free you might want in future, download it anyway then delete it. It'll stay activated on your Apple ID so you can re-download it at any time.

Protip: buy it through iTunes to get around the "you must have ios9 limitation"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

noirstronaut posted:

nilay patel can suck a dick

Someone else's, unlike The Verge I have some standards in my relations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I love these rear end in a top hat web publishers debating adblocking like it's some loving ontological argument.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Using Crystal, ads blocked in Safari, but when I click a link in something like Twitter the browser window it opens doesn't block ads?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nickutz posted:

Using Crystal, ads blocked in Safari, but when I click a link in something like Twitter the browser window it opens doesn't block ads?

I'm pretty sure iOS won't content block Twitter or Facebook.

That's part of what Nilay Patel was ranting about in his screechy article on the Verge.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

From what I recall people saying, content blockers apply to Safari and any apps using Safariview, which either replaces or supplements webview. Apps are probably not yet updated to use Safariview.

Anyway, Lifehacker put up an article about them yesterday, describing functions and such. Purify looks to be the way to go since whitelisting is something I do intend to do for sites I like that aren't as egregious with their ads.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Been excited to install Purify, after all the talk in here. The whitelist especially sounds perfect for me. So I go to install it... and can't because I have a 5 and apparently it's only compatible with 5s and up. :negative:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The content blocking API is 64-bit only. RIP my cute 5c :negative:

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
absolve yourselves of the capitalist hellscape of iphone advertisements by participating in the consumerist habit of buying an $800 electronic device every two years.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

absolve yourselves of the capitalist hellscape of iphone advertisements by participating in the consumerist habit of buying an $800 electronic device every two years.

I will steal one.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uNHAsolM60

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

Gosh, no one's ever, in the history of ad blocking, remarked on the irony or the ability of human beings, via cognitive dissonance, to hold two mutually exclusive value systems.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We'll need to address this dichotomy in ourselves immediately. We owe you a great debt.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

maduin posted:

The first capitalist hellscape is annoying and has a net negative impact on my life. The second is useful and has a net positive impact. It's almost like I'm not trying to absolve myself of capitalism, but instead I'm exercising choice in the market.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
poo poo, I completely forgot that iOS9 was coming. Thought my phone was supposed to loving tell me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

Gosh, no one's ever, in the history of ad blocking, remarked on the irony or the ability of human beings, via cognitive dissonance, to hold two mutually exclusive value systems.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We'll need to address this dichotomy in ourselves immediately. We owe you a great debt.

Yeah, gently caress that guy for bringing a different context to the conversation and not just posting another screenshot of what the Verge looks like.

maduin posted:

I hate buying things; or rather I hate that I enjoy buying things, and have been consciously working on curbing my consumption. Having a 6+, I already can block ads, but if I were still running a 5 I think that the ability to ad block would be enough for me to not only justify the purchase of a new device, but to not feel dirty about it later. It's also good to be reminded during the month of a release to evaluate whether a hardware update would actually benefit you instead of blindly falling into the hype.

Riven posted:

The first capitalist hellscape is annoying and has a net negative impact on my life. The second is useful and has a net positive impact. It's almost like I'm not trying to absolve myself of capitalism, but instead I'm exercising choice in the market.

This, basically.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Full communism now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is there any ios app like the jailbreak one tage? That lets you do gestures with swiping like swipe up to close an app, swipe the title bar to sleep, etc. Just gestures I guess

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Is there any ios app like the jailbreak one tage? That lets you do gestures with swiping like swipe up to close an app, swipe the title bar to sleep, etc. Just gestures I guess

Apps can't change the methods of interaction at the OS level, so no. That's still going to require a jailbreak, at the time being.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

The Devil Tesla posted:

Full communism now.

Oh definitely. But until the revolution comes I'm getting my wife a pink iPhone that blocks ads.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I don't know of one and I'd be very surprised if there was. There's no way that I know of for a third-party app to lock the phone or close other apps, much less register gestures globally. Get used to pressing the lock button I guess.

Also note that there is no need to close apps unless there's a bug and you need to reset it. Beyond a few allowed background tasks that are over very quickly, or some cases where it's very clear that an app is still running in the background like when you're making a phone call, you essentially close an app when you open another one, and get no benefit to battery life for swiping up on recent apps list.

What I'm saying is that I can't imagine why you would want those two things.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh sorry it doesn't actually close the apps it just mimics the home button and if you slid up slow it'd bring up the multi-tasking.

Ok last one I swear, is there a swipeselect equivalent? When you're typing you can side your finger left or right on the keyboard and it moves the cursor

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
I know it came out with ios8. But using Launcher in the today screen and the new back links in ios9 have made the app really great for jumping around without having to use the home button when I want to check my mail or Twitter quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I did buy launcher when it came out and set up a couple things, nice app. Need to toy with it more