Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

so ive fallen behind the curve pretty badly - is Horselords worth a buy?

For what it's worth I'm having fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Does Steam offline mode disable achievements? I just did the Caliphate Strikes back, where I did everything but form the empire title in offline mode. I switched to regular steam and the cheevo didn't pop. So much went right for this run too, it would be a shame to lose it :(.

Did the save de-ironman?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

There will never be any. Muslim megablobs are still invincible.

On my current game the Umayyad are still solid and formed Hispania, but the Abbasid exploded by itself (no help from me) in a million of pieces after 2 or 3 successful revolts, 100 years or so after the star (CM date).

Maybe is just this one game, but I have the impression that the AI big blobs are less powerful and stable now.

Of all the usual huge blobs (Abbasid, Umayyad, Karling/HRE, Byzantine Empire), the Umayyad are in fact the only one remaining after 200 years from the start. And I didnt do anything to cause that (except eating the Arabian Empire pieces after it was already heavily fragmented).

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 17, 2015

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

There will never be any. Muslim megablobs are still invincible.

Weirdly enough, in the last three or four games I've played I've seen the Muslim world completely fall apart. I was even able to beat the Abbasids 1 on 1 as lowly Armenia at one point. Of course, now my current game as Jewish Abyssinia is staring down a bulletproof Fatimid caliphate with 30k in levies to my 8k or so.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's very random. Usually they're impenetrable but sometimes the stars align and a Shia uprising or decadence revolt succeeds and they just fall to pieces. In one game where I was playing in India from the Charlemange start I had the Abbasid blob completely fall apart by about 900 or so, entirely without my help.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Do non-landed vassals have a lower fertility rate or am I just unlucky? I've had like five couples I've married off in my court because they all had good traits and I wanted to keep genius/strong/attractive people around, and all of them have been married for 30-40 years with no kids :argh: Two of them have lustful, even.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm pretty sure there's a fertility reduction the more folks you have in your court, yeah.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I'm at about 1350 in my Byzantine game and the Mongols still haven't made it far past modern Kyrgyzstan. They've got loads of event troops, but they haven't conquered very far for some reason. Does this happen often?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

prussian advisor posted:

Well, I wound up taking a much different tack for my Charlemagne start.

I decided to finally try and find out what it would be like to play as a vassal in the middle of a vast empire and just see how long I could survive. So I wound up picking up a count in West Francia named Chiemgaudson. He had a two-county demesne right on the border of the independent remaining portions of Brittany. After I started the game, I realized, this guy is almost sixty years old, is unmarried, has no heir, and the game is maybe already about to end. However, I married him off to a young woman, hit family focus/have a son ambition, and sure enough, he managed to crank out one son and one daughter before giving up the ghost.

So I patted myself on the back for saving a family line from extinction that would probably vanish 10 years into most games 99% of the time, until I realized that little junior (Leudast Chiemgaudson) had come out with the Slow trait. Not an encouraging start, nor was his syphilitic, paranoid regent. However, the latter was Midas Touched and wound up conferring this helpful trait to young Leudast. I gave him hunting focus, and he would eventually become known as Leudast the Hunter after almost catching the white stag (is it actually possible to kill the white stag?) He eventually wound up marrying an incredibly capable woman and developing some amazing stats of his own, taking over enough of the independent Breton provinces to convert himself to Dukedom, took over the remaining provinces of Brittany, launched a holy war against and annexed the Fraticelli provinces of Cornwall, and took over a tiny southern chunk of Ireland. Meanwhile, West Francia descended into chaos, with King Pepin "the Devil" losing southern France to the Umayyads, and allowing Fraticelli hordes to rampage unchecked through the central region. Ultimately, Leudast managed to eclipse Pepin in strength albeit temporarily, declared independence, slaughtered his army with the help of a horde of mercenaries, successfully besieged Paris, and became the first king of an independent Brittany, fulfilling his ambition, and dying at age 75 with twelve children and over 5,000 prestige. Probably the most fun I've had in a Paradox game in an extremely long time, although it remains to be seen how long I'll be able to hold this fledgling kingdom together. Hopefully I'll be able to continue to expand my hold on the British Isles and even form a proper empire.

Well this game completely fell apart when the pissed-off king of West Francia decided he resented my independence after all and launched a massive invasion when I was moving into Ireland. Even spending my considerable fortune on mercenary forces, I was totally crushed. It was also strange because after losing one particularly nasty battle, the war just immediately ended with him completely taking apart my kingdom and exiling me to two measly provinces in Ireland with no input from me. I assume that when you reach -100% warscore you just auto-lose and the AI takes what it wants, like how you auto-win if you get 100% warscore against the AI?

Trying to figure out what the best next game to play is, since each Ironman game has yielded slightly better and longer results before I get smashed into oblivion. Perhaps a merchant republic start? Is it difficult to take one of the Charlemagne-era starting Irish tribes and convert it to a merchant republic? What's the best way to go about doing this?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grizzwold posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a fertility reduction the more folks you have in your court, yeah.
Huh, that would explain it.

Time to banish the dumb people to other realms.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

prussian advisor posted:

Trying to figure out what the best next game to play is, since each Ironman game has yielded slightly better and longer results before I get smashed into oblivion. Perhaps a merchant republic start? Is it difficult to take one of the Charlemagne-era starting Irish tribes and convert it to a merchant republic? What's the best way to go about doing this?

It's not too difficult (Although I recommend starting as the two-county count in Ulaidh/Ulster so you have the numbers advantage), and it could go fairly quickly. One thing you can (and probably should) do is raid all your immediate neighbours, repeating whenever they finish putting the fires out. You'll have an easy time with the tribal settlements (Although they won't give much gold) and can immediately move on to the church holdings. You'll be swimming in gold and prestige soon enough.

I'm assuming you know how to raid.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Tendai posted:

Huh, that would explain it.

Time to banish the dumb people to other realms.

If memory serves, non-landed family members/courtiers have some kind of a cap on number of offspring too, like 2 or something. It's been a long time since I've seen it discussed though, so it may have changed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you have 30 or more people in your court then there is a big fertility penalty to everyone in your court. And NatasDog is also correct: there's a sharp fertility drop for unlanded courtiers after their second kid.

Eugenics isn't really worth the trouble in CK2 but if you insist on trying you may want to :ese: the kids that don't get a genetic trait, especially the girls.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Dareon posted:

It's not too difficult (Although I recommend starting as the two-county count in Ulaidh/Ulster so you have the numbers advantage), and it could go fairly quickly. One thing you can (and probably should) do is raid all your immediate neighbours, repeating whenever they finish putting the fires out. You'll have an easy time with the tribal settlements (Although they won't give much gold) and can immediately move on to the church holdings. You'll be swimming in gold and prestige soon enough.

I'm assuming you know how to raid.

I sure don't! Never played as a tribal power before. I had the vague idea that raiding was kind of gimped if you're a non-pagan tribe like the Irish. Any general pointers?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why doesn't Paradox just fix seduction already?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Raiding other tribals is generally poo poo but the Irish tribals are special since most of their counties have temples in them which can be sacked for MUCH more than a tribal holding.

The main tip for raiding is to bring enough troops to siege holdings - you get a lot more cash that way and can take prisoners for ransoms.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Raiding other tribals is generally poo poo but the Irish tribals are special since most of their counties have temples in them which can be sacked for MUCH more than a tribal holding.

The main tip for raiding is to bring enough troops to siege holdings - you get a lot more cash that way and can take prisoners for ransoms.

Do people actually raid without enough to siege?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

verbal enema posted:

I have, but it's only worth it early game against a couple of low fort level valuable provinces where you can skim a bunch of cash off the top.

I've also done it where I had 25 levies from a random baron vassal, and I parked them on a crappy opm in raid mode to deal with the prestige penalty for being at peace.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They've already made the AI half as likely to pick it and I told you how to make it so it is astronomically unlikely that the AI picks it. Just fix it yourself. Get Steam Achievement Manager if you care about that poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because it's working as designed.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eugenics isn't really worth the trouble in CK2 but if you insist on trying you may want to :ese: the kids that don't get a genetic trait, especially the girls.
I wish I'd realized that before I spent like, an hour figuring out the best genetic combinations in my court :saddowns:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tendai posted:

I wish I'd realized that before I spent like, an hour figuring out the best genetic combinations in my court :saddowns:

Maybe is not worth the trouble but is still a big part of my games. I guess I just love to see high stats.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

verbal enema posted:

As the Norse, skimming is faster money early on. I wouldn't skim as anyone else since it's really only effective if you have loot boats.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I'm winding down to the end of my first playthrough of this game. Is the Mongol invasion an event added in one of the DLCs? I got a text box in the 1100s or so mentioning the rise of the Mongols, but nothing else happened and the Seljuks remain a solid blob covering nearly half the map.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ajkalan posted:

I'm winding down to the end of my first playthrough of this game. Is the Mongol invasion an event added in one of the DLCs? I got a text box in the 1100s or so mentioning the rise of the Mongols, but nothing else happened and the Seljuks remain a solid blob covering nearly half the map.

It isn't; they probably just got stomped by the Seljuks

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you have 30 or more people in your court then there is a big fertility penalty to everyone in your court. And NatasDog is also correct: there's a sharp fertility drop for unlanded courtiers after their second kid.

Hey, sometimes it's nice to breed in a genetic trait, it's easy as a merchant republic. I once got attractive on pretty much every dynasty member once. That one may be easier to breed in though.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Been playing this game for about a month, and finally founded an empire honestly in Ironman mode. Personally control the Kingdoms of Galicia, Castille, Leon, and Andalusia, and am considering consolidating/creating the others. Unfortunately, the empire is still on gavelkind succession, which means my heir will not keep all those kingdoms. Assuming they don't revolt for independence, will that totally ruin my empire, or are they just going to be vassal kings to my heir the emperor? I do intend to change it to primogeniture, but my current character is old and it was hard enough just forming the empire before his death.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Coward posted:

Had an annoying time last night for my West African Merchant Republic. My High Priestess is basically Queen of Andalusia (except that Theocracies can't be given kingdoms, so she constantly exceeds the vassal limit as a Duke-equivalent) and she for some reason keeps declaring Holy Wars for Provence against the single county of Forcalquier. Which we do not border. And which brings in both mega-France and nascent Italy as allies. I was able to stave off disaster by raiding France and Italy to make them hostile despite our truces, and smash their armies up to prevent her troops from getting killed. But I have no way of declaring war on Holy Orders so the Knights Templar and Knights of Calatrava show up as a murderstack of Knights against Light Infantry and completely wipe her out while my huge armies have to loving sit by and watch unable to assist. Another Holy War lost. But raiding people nearby with 30k armies is amusing since I hadn't bothered to do it in centuries. Especially when one raid found the key that opened the box I'd found 300 years earlier.

Gah, it happened again last night. My High Priestess immediately declares a Holy Way against Forcalquier as soon as the truce timer runs out and mega-France, Italy and Holy Orders wade in and smash her face in. It was the 6th Canary Islands Holy War for Provence. The 6th. Double-checked and you still can't join vassals' wars, so that option is out.

Worked out why she keeps doing it, though. Forcalquier is part of the two-province Kingdom of Burgundy and really easy pickings for someone who has the levies of the whole of Andalusia plus change, but the AI isn't taking into account that Holy Warring brings in anyone else. Or probably even Holy Orders.

At least I vassalised our Holy Order so she doesn't keep sending them to get completely wiped out every time she gets bored. I'm probably going to have to try aggressively taking land from France to try and weaken them enough that she might have a chance of winning something. I just wish I could get France all in one go with just one huge war. Wish I knew how to tell my High Priestess to Great Holy War for France.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ajkalan posted:

It's always been around, but Horse Lords has made them behave kind of weirdly. They're a lot less aggressive than they used to be.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

darthbob88 posted:

Been playing this game for about a month, and finally founded an empire honestly in Ironman mode. Personally control the Kingdoms of Galicia, Castille, Leon, and Andalusia, and am considering consolidating/creating the others. Unfortunately, the empire is still on gavelkind succession, which means my heir will not keep all those kingdoms. Assuming they don't revolt for independence, will that totally ruin my empire, or are they just going to be vassal kings to my heir the emperor? I do intend to change it to primogeniture, but my current character is old and it was hard enough just forming the empire before his death.

They will be vassal kings. And generally people don't like to start an independence faction if they're the same culture as the empire and part of the de jure title. This is why no one starts a independent revolt against the Byzantines - the Byzantine de jure empire is huge and everyone is Greek.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

They will be vassal kings. And generally people don't like to start an independence faction if they're the same culture as the empire and part of the de jure title. This is why no one starts a independent revolt against the Byzantines - the Byzantine de jure empire is huge and everyone is Greek.
That's what I thought, but the way my luck's gone I wouldn't be surprised if it were wrong. That is actually the main reason I wanted to form the empire, so I could control all of Iberia without the risk of losing it as soon as the ruler cacks it. Although now I'm not sure where to go from here, once I consolidate Iberia; expand north into France, press claims against petty kingdoms in Wales and elsewhere, or continue the Reconquista south into Morocco. So many places to go, so many people to kill.

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA
Any idea why when my Abyssinians marry Greeks most of the kids come out with Mongol faces? It's kind of annoying, honestly.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

my effigy burns posted:

Any idea why when my Abyssinians marry Greeks most of the kids come out with Mongol faces? It's kind of annoying, honestly.

The game can't really simulate bi-racial children having dynamic appearances based on the parents, so it does the next best thing by making them some culture in the middle of the two, usually Turkish in my experience.

The solution to this is simple, thankfully: :ese:

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA
...and a followup question. I'm playing as the byzantine empire but the vast majority of my vassals are not eligible to appoint as commanders. It doesn't explain why, it's just greyed out. I only have about 5 commanders, so it's not like I've hit the cap or something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

my effigy burns posted:

Gettin cucked by a Mongol.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

my effigy burns posted:

...and a followup question. I'm playing as the byzantine empire but the vast majority of my vassals are not eligible to appoint as commanders. It doesn't explain why, it's just greyed out. I only have about 5 commanders, so it's not like I've hit the cap or something.
Are they in hiding? There isn't really much in the way of special requirements. Hindus can't be commanders unless they're kshatriya caste, though.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's VIET.

All of that is in VIET.

Don't install VIET.

The weird thing about VIET is that it actually used to be a decent mod which added a lot of flavor - like the ability to survey your land, or Buddhism in Afghanistan before RoI was a thing. The amount of additional mechanics, however, made it more and more unstable with each update and its author's health problems prevented him from repairing it. So the part that actually added anything to the game - VIET Immersion - got scrapped and only VIET Events remained. Which, incidentally, is the part with hee-larious cock jokes, events where you piss your shoes and lose 2 Prestige and more incest.

Recently, I found myself disappointed with changes in HIP as much as I was with CK2+ two years before. The flavor part was pretty much relegated to EMF, where they change things that work just because they can (like children inheriting most of their traits from their parents). As for the balance part, it doesn't really exist for earlier bookmarks - the technology spread, for example, is broken and most countries get the max tech level before 1100. I'm thinking about giving CK2+ another try. Is it worth it?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Gantolandon posted:

I'm thinking about giving CK2+ another try. Is it worth it?

I found some bits of the previous release, like the Byzantine Empire being replaced by the Latin Empire if ir is usurped by a Catholic and vassals going independent in civil wars annoying.
But the latest release fixed that so players don't trigger that, and earlier start dates being Calchedonian pre schism is fun.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Coward posted:

:allears:

Had an annoying time last night for my West African Merchant Republic. My High Priestess is basically Queen of Andalusia (except that Theocracies can't be given kingdoms, so she constantly exceeds the vassal limit as a Duke-equivalent) and she for some reason keeps declaring Holy Wars for Provence against the single county of Forcalquier. Which we do not border. And which brings in both mega-France and nascent Italy as allies. I was able to stave off disaster by raiding France and Italy to make them hostile despite our truces, and smash their armies up to prevent her troops from getting killed. But I have no way of declaring war on Holy Orders so the Knights Templar and Knights of Calatrava show up as a murderstack of Knights against Light Infantry and completely wipe her out while my huge armies have to loving sit by and watch unable to assist. Another Holy War lost. But raiding people nearby with 30k armies is amusing since I hadn't bothered to do it in centuries. Especially when one raid found the key that opened the box I'd found 300 years earlier.

I had a similar trick in my latest game (Norse merchant republic). My vassals have a lovely habit of declaring prepared invasions that fail: they don't get anywhere near the number of event troops needed to stand up against the Catholic holy orders, which aren't taken into account when the game decides how many troops to give the invaders. The other day, though, I noticed something remarkable. My vassal, the Duke of Lithuania, had declared a prepared invasion of (Catholic) Poland, and he was doing quite well! He had hired the Jomsvikings, and several of my other vassals were helping him fight. Most importantly, Francia, with its 35k troops, hadn't yet entered the war: it was busy helping push some pissant's claim on Powys.

Well, Powys lost, and a few days later, Francia joined with Poland. I was excited to finally see one prepared invasion succeed, and now it looked like my hopes would forever be dashed: lieges cannot join vassals' prepared invasions. But maybe I could help indirectly. I started raiding Francia with my 7k housecarl retinue, hoping to distract some of their troops into chasing me rather than fight my Germanic brothers and sisters. And sure enough, Francia chased me... but not with nearly as many troops as I'd expected: a mere 9k troops. They were mostly light infantry and archers and were pursuing me across a river, so I gritted my teeth and asked Tyr to grant me strength.

1,500 Norse housecarls were lifted up by the Valkyries. But from Valhalla, they watched their brothers in arms turn 9,000 Frenchmen into 9,000 French corpses.

Why only 9k? Because the Franks had apparently left half their army in Powys, in two stacks of 10k and 7k, with nowhere near enough fleet levies to get them all out quickly.

So, like a clever commander, I took advantage of their scattered army. I raised some vassal levies (even with low crown authority, this was plenty) and brought the fight to them before the "hostile due to raiding" flag wore off––altogether, about 12k men, over half of them heavy infantry. I hit one stack, then the other, and thereby managed to cut the Frankish army down to size.

Francia's levies were recovering constantly, but most of their remaining army had smashed up futilely against the Jomsvikings in Poland. Emperor Shitdick of Francia was down to a mere 8k troops.

I figured it would have been downright irresponsible of me not to teach him a lesson.

Dismiss levies, declare holy war, hire mercenaries, raise levies, attack. Something like 30k men in total. This was total overkill. I expected him to hire every single holy order immediately, but by the time he got around to it, a 10k Norse stack with Pecheneg and Scottish auxiliaries was parked right on top of Paris, and they easily scattered the Knights Templar and Knights Hospitaler before their morale could recover. I enforced demands, took Brittany, created the Most Serene Republic of Bertangaland, handed it out, dismissed my mercenaries, and proceeded to terrorize Francia with 15k men raiding him constantly. Emperor Fuckface kept trying to rally his slowly-recovering vassal levies to chase out my raiders, but to no avail. I swatted them down every time he tried.

The best part? During a raid, I captured his favored son, brought him home, and filled him with the wisdom of the Norse sagas. When he grew up, I released him, then invited him back to court. Unfortunately Francia has an elective monarchy, so he won't inherit the Empire, but he'll have a weak claim––and if I ever decide to push it and succeed, hopefully Francia will be ripped apart by revolts, with hapless Catholics chafing under the yoke of their Odinist overlord.

Wait for the right moment, take risks, strike hard, and fight dirty.

e: and now the Principality of Scandinavia passes to my heir, a quick Grey Eminence. I might stop raiding until the short reign modifier passes, but in the mean time, the new Emperor has declared an Antipope, and the Knights Templar were chased out of Saxony by a liberation revolt. Catholic Moral Authority is down to 20%. Looking forward to those sweet heretic revolts.

Aschlafly fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have no understanding of how the AI marriage works in this game. Just now I have a 16 year old daughter that I lucked the gently caress out on and had amazing stats/traits and the king of England sends me a message asking for someone for a wife for his heir. Is it pointed at my amazing daughter who has a reasonable claim on the two ducal titles I hold? No. It's pointed at my courtier with a hunchback and no good stats. :iiam:

• Locked thread