Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Give it AMRAAMs and make it FF-117.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Scale it up and make it CF-117.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Scale it up and make it CF-117.

DDG-117

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dispatch deviation guide?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Linedance posted:

Dispatch deviation guide?

like a DDG-1000 but more stealthy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
F-117B

The marines need stealth.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Boeing 74117

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Boeing 74117

They should make that plane from executive decisions.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Boeing winglet - 1
Bird - 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yapcAqSMdek

(almost got a twofer w/ the gear)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Give it AMRAAMs and make it FF-117.

From wikipedia...

quote:

F-117N "Seahawk"[edit]
The United States Navy tested the F-117 in 1984 but decided that it was not suitable for use on an aircraft carrier.[26] In the early 1990s, Lockheed proposed an upgraded, carrier-capable variant of the F-117 dubbed the "Seahawk" to the Navy as an alternative to the canceled A/F-X program. The unsolicited proposal was received poorly by the Department of Defense, which had little interest in the single mission capabilities of such an aircraft, particularly as it would take money away from the Joint Advanced Strike Technology program, which evolved into the Joint Strike Fighter. The new aircraft would have differed from the land-based F-117 in several ways, including the addition "of elevators, a bubble canopy, a less sharply swept wing and reconfigured tail".[76][77] The "N" variant would also be re-engined to use General Electric F414 turbofans instead of the older General Electric F404s. Furthermore, the aircraft would be optionally fitted with hardpoints, allowing for an additional 8,000 lb (3,600 kg) of payload, and a new ground attack radar with air-to-air capability. In that role the F-117N could carry AIM-120 AMRAAM air-to-air missiles.[76][78]

After being rebuffed by the Navy, Lockheed submitted an updated proposal that included afterburning capability and a larger emphasis on the F-117N as a multi-mission aircraft, rather than just an attack aircraft.[78] In efforts to boost interest, Lockheed also proposed an F-117B land-based variant that shared most of the F-117N capabilities. This variant was proposed to both the US Air Force and the Royal Air Force:[79] in addition to several RAF exchange officers who had flown the F-117 during its service, two RAF pilots had formally evaluated the aircraft in 1986 as a reward for British help with the American bombing of Libya that year.[26] This renewed F-117N proposal was also known as the A/F-117X.[80] Neither the F-117N or the F-117B was purchased by any party.

Lockheed was either desperate for money or thought the Navy was dumb. Likely both.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Deeters posted:

I went to an airshow in Massachusetts maybe 10 years ago where the A-10s fired blanks while someone set off pyrotechnics in front of the spectator area. Maybe it's something like that?

That's what they do at the airshows down here. It's always fun to watch the people who aren't paying attention freak out, especially the ones coming out of the porta-potties.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: do the F-35 and F-22 have "affectionate" nicknames yet? Along the lines of Stinkbug, Mudhen, Hog, Viper, etc.?

Stinkbug? Is that a Hornet variant or something?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That was the F-117's nickname. One of them, anyway. Wobblin' Goblin was another.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Godholio posted:

That was the F-117's nickname. One of them, anyway. Wobblin' Goblin was another.

Huh. I've heard it called the Goblin, but I hadn't heard stinkbug before. Learn something new every day.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

The best nicknames are the ones that rhyme, IMO.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

The best nicknames are the ones that rhyme, IMO.

:agreed: I really like Mudhen and Superbug, though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Some crazy Brits have plans to return the Concorde to service.

quote:

When Concorde flew for the last time almost 12 years ago it was assumed that it would never enter service again. With financing now secured, however, a group of Concorde experts are confident that the aircraft could recommence flights by the end of this decade. Aviation enthusiasts who may not have the means to fly on board could also have the opportunity to admire an aircraft placed on permanent display in central London.

Operated by British Airways and Air France, Concorde’s last flight took place on October 24 2003, and its demise has been heavily, enduringly, lamented by members of Club Concorde. The organisation comprises former Concorde pilots, charterers and frequent fliers, among others. Though BA and Air France have no plans to recommence Concorde flights, the group has now secured what it believes to be adequate financial backing to independently return the supersonic aircraft to service.

They have two aims: firstly, to place one of the aircraft on a purpose-built platform positioned by the London Eye and above the Thames; secondly, to return another to use as part of a Return to Flight project.

Drawing from a £40 million investment, the club is aiming to purchase a Concorde currently stationed near Orly Airport in Paris and to place it as the main draw in a £16-a-head London tourist attraction that would include a restaurant offering dishes that were originally served on Concorde flights. Club president Paul James hopes the plane could be on display by 2017.

Getting Concorde back in the air would be rather more complex. The club has access to an additional reserve fund worth £120 million and plans to use this revenue to purchase a Concorde currently on display at Le Bourget airport in Paris. When restored (and dressed in an entirely new, neutral livery) and deemed safe to again take to the skies, the plane would be deployed for use in fly-pasts at air shows and made available for corporate and special events, as well as for private charter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/travel/83904/concorde-flights-planned-to-resume-and-aircraft-proposed-for-display-in-london.html

Chartering the Concorde sounds amazing frankly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Well the air france accident flight was a charter so...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'll only fly my novelty SST flights on a swing-wing 2707 thank you

e: so after boeing builds a 797 which I'm sure they'll do eventually are they going to go with 1707 as their next model or what? 7107? Or are we going for 7A7 so that at the heat death of the universe when they release a 7Z7-900ER they still haven't left three-character model names?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KF-117, for refueling the drones in secret.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Daily reminder that the Concorde was "directly" attributed to impregnating people
People bitched that the sonic booms hosed up their rhythm method and got their wives pregnant

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced God posted:

Daily reminder that the Concorde was "directly" attributed to impregnating people
People bitched that the sonic booms hosed up their rhythm method and got their wives pregnant

Was that Air France or BA?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hasn't Airbus (the descendant/parent company of what used to be Aérospatiale-EADS) said explicitly that they're not going to be supporting Concorde going forwards? As in, no parts, no parts overhauls, no structural support, no systems support, etc?

I could see them pulling off a Vulcan-style airshow circuit, possibly for a while, but continuing regular service would get real interesting the first time they had a non-routine maintenance item.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

AVF-117B

The marines need stealth and VTOL capability.

You're welcome

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

buttcrackmenace posted:

You're welcome

isn't that just the f-35b

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

isn't that just the f-35b

:thejoke:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Greetings from seat 19E on Southwest 2265.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Hasn't Airbus (the descendant/parent company of what used to be Aérospatiale-EADS) said explicitly that they're not going to be supporting Concorde going forwards? As in, no parts, no parts overhauls, no structural support, no systems support, etc?
Yep. Airbus really didn't want to spend resources to continue supporting Concorde (even if paid for it).

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

As I understand it most of the Concorde hulls are in really good condition, considering. It's the hydraulics and fuel systems that are the big deal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Well the air france accident flight was a charter so...

Well hopefully giant pieces of FOD won't be a reoccurring thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Forums Terrorist posted:

As I understand it most of the Concorde hulls are in really good condition, considering. It's the hydraulics and fuel systems that are the big deal.

Kinda like saying "ya, my skin and bones are in great shape. I hope my heart, lungs, circulatory system, brain, liver, kidneys, lymphatic system and sensory organs don't fail!"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hey, I didn't mention the one of a kind engines, the avionics, or the pneumatics. :v: Or even that most of them have been sitting outside for 15 years.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

Or even that most of them have been sitting outside for 15 years.

Two of them have been sat inside in nice A/C'ed halls for the last 40 years.

(But BOAB and BOAC are most likely to be the closest to air-worthy)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It'd be pretty wild to see a flying Concorde, but I'll only believe it when I see it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'm very thankful to have seen a flying Concorde and SR71 as a little kid.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Colonial Air Force posted:

Greetings from seat 19E on Southwest 2265.

Holy poo poo turn off your phone YOU'LL KILL US ALL!!!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Lucky

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lightbulb Out posted:

:hfive: same, saw them both on the same day one year at the abbotsford airshow.

The concorde did a few flypasts and slow circuits while the announcer talked about the passengers sipping champagne and such.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Party Plane Jones posted:

All you have to do is get the CIA to install you as a dictator in your home country and get the IMF/World Bank to fund your extravagant lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost